How much longer will you be a .hack fan for?

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Vallen

How much longer will you be a .hack fan for?

Post by Vallen »

A simple question I asked myself a while back. This franchise is very close to being dead (those mobile games are somewhat keeping it afloat, but not by much).
I personally don't know for how much longer my interest will last. I will probably never get rid of the games and the SIGN anime - so in that regard I still "like" the franchise. However, the term fan that I use relates more to being constantly engaged, active, and talkative about a particular series. Other than this forum there is no other place online that I visited that discusses .hack. And looking at dothackers, we got like 10 active members (that number includes the mods).

So I wonder, how much longer until I become apathetic? Maybe 2020? - Unless a new anime or proper game is released, I don't know if I will be able to care enough. If another 3-4 years go by just like it is now, I think I will move on and officially label .hack as a thing of the past alongside other childhood interests that no longer hold relevance in my life beyond nostalgic purposes.

Thoughts?
Falions

Re: How much longer will you be a .hack fan for?

Post by Falions »

.hack//SIGN was the first anime I watched as a kid, and unlike Yugioh I sat down and watched SIGN with subtitles from start to finish and all while consciously knowing I was watching an anime rather than just watching Yugioh (which I had viewed like any other cartoon as a kid).

So, in that regard, the franchise as a whole will always hold a special place in my heart. I find I am still just as passionate about it now as I was as a child, if not more.
I mean, I've dealt with its awful release schedule for a long time. At this point I don't really care--I still get great enjoyment out of just re-experiencing past titles (I'm even replaying G.U. right now!) and should it finally get a proper revival that isn't some tiny OVA or movie or what have you I will be even more passionate about it.

I don't know. I am just a person who is really driven by his interests. I don't think I could ever stop loving .hack--the thought of it seems so absolutely impossible that my brain can't compute it.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

Falions wrote:I don't know. I am just a person who is really driven by his interests. I don't think I could ever stop loving .hack--the thought of it seems so absolutely impossible that my brain can't compute it.
yeah same here. So have all the games, I have not played them all,(shame on me lol) but I do plan to. I have the anime, and I re-watch them at min.(well, sign at least, and liminality) once or twice a year. (same with code geass and air gear haha)

Falions wrote:.hack//SIGN was the first anime I watched as a kid, and unlike Yugioh I sat down and watched SIGN with subtitles from start to finish and all while consciously knowing I was watching an anime rather than just watching Yugioh (which I had viewed like any other cartoon as a kid).

So, in that regard, the franchise as a whole will always hold a special place in my heart. I find I am still just as passionate about it now as I was as a child, if not more.

I don't think I can really ever stop being a fan honestly. .Hack//SIGN may not have been my first anime, but it was definitely the first non big anime I actually enjoyed. (who doesn't like pokemon, dragon ball, yugioh etc. etc. lol.)

Note: When I saw the title, I thought it was a joke April Fools thread I missed :P
Adhemas

Post by Adhemas »

I will stay a fan for the rest of my life I guess. There are different types of love for fictional series. Some of them depend on my current situation or age (like some of the stuff I liked and only liked when I was a little child which I don't care about now anymore), others I like for more superficial reasons or the action they contain. I really enjoy these series as long as I watch them plus maybe another year but eventually forget about them. With .hack it's a much deeper connection. It was and still is one of the few anime that really means something to me personally, with characters I can identify with and situations I can relate to. This is coupled with lots and lots of secrets and hidden symbolism and meanings I will never get tired of searching for. I actually watched .hack//SIGN tons of times and always found small things I overlooked before and there are a lot more .hack series than just SIGN. So no I don't think I will never not care about it. Of course I talk less about it at the moment, but that's just due to the lack of translated content and since we have already discussed everything else here over the years. A lack of discussion doesn't mean that I don't care. I actually even still draw .hack related fanart for myself or even upload it somewhere from time to time.
Other than this forum there is no other place online that I visited that discusses .hack.
Same here. But there aren't any good other boards to discuss it. This has nothing to do with a lacking interest. Try to discuss .hack on other forums or image boards all people will say is "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING", "Is the MC actually a dyke?" or get mad over pairings they don't like.
k-su

Post by k-su »

Falions wrote:I don't think I could ever stop loving .hack--the thought of it seems so absolutely impossible that my brain can't compute it.
Adhemas wrote:There are different types of love for fictional series. Some of them depend on my current situation or age (like some of the stuff I liked and only liked when I was a little child which I don't care about now anymore), others I like for more superficial reasons or the action they contain. I really enjoy these series as long as I watch them plus maybe another year but eventually forget about them. With .hack it's a much deeper connection.
My sentiments exactly. The engrossing nature of the series is something I hadn't ever experienced and there haven't been many others that have replicated that sense of discovery and desire to experience everything it has to offer. The stories never get stale, the characters are just as compelling and after spending over 700 hours on the games, the hair still stands up on my neck when I fight Skeith. I may not obsess over it as much as I used to, but I still reference the series in everyday life and laugh to myself whenever something triggers a memory I have of the series. I may not post very often anymore, but I always keep a tab open just to see what's going on and read the discussions that pop up. .hack has had a big impact on my life and no matter if another piece of media ever comes out, there will always be a warm place for it the series in my heart.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

I agree, I suppose there is no way to not be a fan anymore, not at this point. But I guess losing interest is another thing. You can like SIGN forever, but not care about what happens to the franchise beyond this point. And this is what I fear I am approaching.
Avatar_Crim wrote:Note: When I saw the title, I thought it was a joke April Fools thread I missed :P
You may think of it that way :P
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Can't really say for how long,I don't see myself not liking .hack at any time in the future and i'm always on the look out for new .hack content @.@ Have been holding back until the next patch of LINK so that I can continue onwards and cover the rest of the series in order ^^'
@Masaki

Post by @Masaki »

I will probably never stop being a fan of .hack, the franchise holds a dear spot in my heart and will continue to do so till I die I guess. Even if I try to find a different game or anime to replace it I just can't, nothing comes close.
ReiMehari

Post by ReiMehari »

I'll never stop being a fan.

I still have to re-watch Sign. I still need to watch Twilight for the first time. And I need to watch all the DVDs that I made of G.U.'s storyline, plus the anime special that came out after it. nd then there's Quantum.

And then I have to play Link, when/if it's fully translated.

I still have a lot of .Hack left for me!