why does haseo look like a

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

SCP173music

why does haseo look like a

Post by SCP173music »

infact. Why do quite a few characters have skin showing or outfits that you would see on a stripper or prostitute. In G.U.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Re: why does haseo look like a fuckboy

Post by AZURE-KITE »

It is kinda like the characters on IMOQ, you see Clerics had these robes while heavy axmen had heavy armor designs... Of course, some decided to use a robe character for heavy blade or vise versa... This same thing happens with GU...

The designers wanted to give a very dashy or light look to the character... As you can see that design is mostly used by Twin Blades... Just as Schrodinger design is mostly for clerics or warlocks... But just as with IMOQ... You see some... Let's say heavy weaponry on small characters... And vice versa!

But since the question was why some look like ho's... Then it's because of my first words xP Some remixed looks that were supposed to say 'Hey! I use fast weapons so i don't need much armor because you won't hit me!' ... There's also the fanboy/girl ism from the fan...

Every game needs character models that make players wanna ship it~! (In my case, Kitty Laddle and Pi... But Bo is also so *q*) ... So yeah... But haseo stops being a cheap ho'... You know, he gets a shirt on his 2nd form
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

AZURE-KITE wrote: Every game needs character models that make players wanna ship it~! (In my case, Kitty Laddle and Pi... But Bo is also so *q*) ... So yeah... But haseo stops being a cheap ho'... You know, he gets a shirt on his 2nd form
yea i know. I played the g.u games as well. its just.....it doesnt fit right to me personally to see dot hack take the fan service route like that..... i dunno....thats one of the reasons i didnt like key of the twilight. but also because, well .hack is one of those few series where im not watching it for the sexy parts. Im watching it for the characters and getting into the storyline. it just feels off taking that change it made from IMOQ. Even with blackrose. sure not alot on her but it still had a warrior look. not some sexualized look. like bordeux outfit......also they made tabby to attract the neko fans.......Love her funny quirkyness but i also feel she was made more for fanservice. maybe its just me. but g.u didnt have anywhere near the same emotional impact as IMOQ.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

What can i say? Make an emo depressive arrogant prick that later becomes a light warrior because someone hacked him and hit him in the head...? Haseo is surely one overrated character, that keeps looking like a fuckboy in his Xth form... I mean showing his bellybutton is too streetgirl...

Sure, Kite didn't have much of a strong personality but at least he cared... And tried... Maybe it's because Haseo's reasons for becoming strong in G.U. are just the same as Kite's... To bring someone vack from a coma... I believe he could've done it better like... "I wanna become stronger because i hate my PKers" or just a simple Naruto dream style "I'll become the strongest. Because i believe i'm the best" Would've been better for him!

On another note... Haseo was a fuckboy in his 1st form and ended up a fuckboy in his Xth Form... I mean the round plates on his ass make it look bigger and all... And the girlish look... If i go around a convention with that cosplay i believe Endrances are not the only ones who will hit on me!
SCP173music

Re: why does haseo look like a

Post by SCP173music »

Yes but its not just haseo. I always admired .hack for having respectable female roles that didnt need to be sexualized to bring in customers. Now im a huge **** pervert mmk? And i loveed the series because of its reliance on character and not looks. But for example.......atoli.....Amazing character, dont get me wrong. Love her character. But the outfit..... Asuper short dress thats pretty much a shirt......bloomers as pants......and langerie links to hold her thigh high stockings.....................................................You see where im getting at? also her outfit doesnt match her pure and innocent personality. you know what im saying? she couldv totally had a robe.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Well... Pi is almost naked too, and she's basically a secretary...

But hey! Yata's partially naked as well, and i don't see anyone complaining...

On a side note, //Quantum Kite also has a pretty revealing look... Going back to innocent //IMOQ, it also had Mia... And Orca... Helba's robes didn't cover her up totally also...
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

AZURE-KITE wrote:Well... Pi is almost naked too, and she's basically a secretary...

But hey! Yata's partially naked as well, and i don't see anyone complaining...

On a side note, //Quantum Kite also has a pretty revealing look... Going back to innocent //IMOQ, it also had Mia... And Orca... Helba's robes didn't cover her up totally also...
helbas not that bad. and dont get me started on Pi. beleive me that would be too easy to rant about. mia.....I wish had had more clothing. and orca. well he is a warrior based look. thats why i forgive blackros and mimirus look. warrior based armor. and helba still has better clothing choice then half of g.u does.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Apparently not better than all of the beast characters... They use their fur as an excuse
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

I guess the main reason is that sex sells, but .hack has a history of sprinkling a little bit of fanservice into their designs anyway, so I don't think it's really that big a deal, especially since they don't do it all that often.

It's also a staple of MMORPG's. A quick google image search shows how many scantily clad characters there are, even with some guys showing off their skin too.

Honestly though, I enjoyed ogling Haseo's washboard abs when I was a teenager. I used to walk close to the camera and zoom in on him like some kind of perv, haha.  However I was more attracted to Ovan at the time... ; _ ;
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

You're right on the MMORPG part, Mizu ... There are a few(All) MMORPGs these days that show a 90% of the character skin at lvl1 for men and women, then men turn that into a 90%of coolness im armor at higher levels and women caracters turn that into 98% Of nudity even at higher levels... Hell, even Iruna(Android game) has a Swimsuit armor called exelis, where in men looks like a full body superhero suit(with gold ornaments) and in women looks like a bikini...(with less gold ornaments)
MizuTakishima wrote: Honestly though, I enjoyed ogling Haseo's washboard abs when I was a teenager. I used to walk close to the camera and zoom in on him like some kind of perv, haha.  However I was more attracted to Ovan at the time... ; _ ;
I was into Haseo's 3rd form... But later got replaced by Azure Balmung, who later got replaced by Bo <3
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

AZURE-KITE wrote:Apparently not better than all of the beast characters... They use their fur as an excuse
dont get me started. Fur is not an excuse either. bit the main point im trying to make is. why does dot hack need to resort to such measures?
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Pobody's Nerfect!

I know .Hack is cool and all but... A bit of skin on a game hurts no one... At 10 i was ok with it and didn't think about the perv side!

Except for Pi...
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

AZURE-KITE wrote:You're right on the MMORPG part, Mizu ... There are a few(All) MMORPGs these days that show a 90% of the character skin at lvl1 for men and women, then men turn that into a 90%of coolness im armor at higher levels and women caracters turn that into 98% Of nudity even at higher levels... Hell, even Iruna(Android game) has a Swimsuit armor called exelis, where in men looks like a full body superhero suit(with gold ornaments) and in women looks like a bikini...(with less gold ornaments)
Yeah, in situations like that I'll often end up choosing the more cutesy & child-like characters. I mean sexy clothes can be fun, but near-nudity with jiggle-physics kinda weirds me out. I would just play as a guy, but I feel like the novelty of being a different gender would ware off kinda quickly. (though I don't seem to mind playing guys in regular J/RPG's, MMO's are different for some reason)

But anyway, back on topic!
SCP173music wrote: dont get me started. Fur is not an excuse either. bit the main point im trying to make is. why does dot hack need to resort to such measures?
I'm not sure what the deal is either. I actually heard somewhere that while sexyness technically does sell a product, it can also make the customer forget what it was that was being advertised.

Like a company trying to push their new video game can be like "Hey Tiger, come check out our sexy new video game! Look at all these bewbs and panty shots it'll be a real good time ;)"

and the customer will be like "whoa that looks great! I'm gonna throw money at this!"

but once the novelty wears off, it just becomes a forgettable gaming experience for the consumer. They're less likely to come back for more or keep generating hype because they forgot all about it :lol:
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

MizuTakishima wrote:
SCP173music wrote: dont get me started. Fur is not an excuse either. bit the main point im trying to make is. why does dot hack need to resort to such measures?
I'm not sure what the deal is either. I actually heard somewhere that while sexyness technically does sell a product, it can also make the customer forget what it was that was being advertised.

Like a company trying to push their new video game can be like "Hey Tiger, come check out our sexy new video game! Look at all these bewbs and panty shots it'll be a real good time ;)"

and the customer will be like "whoa that looks great! I'm gonna throw money at this!"

but once the novelty wears off, it just becomes a forgettable gaming experience for the consumer. They're less likely to come back for more or keep generating hype because they forgot all about it :lol:
thats what i was thinking too lol. but thats what im trying to figure out. why would CC corp do that to one of their most groundbreaking and emotional series. I mean come on you cant say sign or IMOQ games didnt emotionally impact you. I mean come on the effort the put unto the two series there was amazing. and you could tell they made sure that everything fit right. G.U. on the other hand. Has an overated character. the whole thing being able to control the phases of morganna kinda made me feel op. the character design is to slutty. for BOTH men and women. AND, the took away riding grunty's........with a god damn steampunk bike. that and they **** up kite. I was pissed with the storyline they gave kite.
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Alright, let's start from the top...

Bear and Orca's designs are based on Highland warriors, these people traditionally went to battle with very little clothes.
Mia's design is fine. The fur is basically clothes. I can't see the complaint there.
BlackRose and Mimiru are basically wearing "battle bikinis" which is a common trope in MMO's as already stated, but it's not as if this is done in an erotic manner or anything such.

Is there something inherently wrong or taboo about exposing the midriff? I'd never heard of such an issue with it.
That said there are a few things which I always found odd, Helba's choice of dress has always been offputting to me, I love the top of it, a clearly religious symbolism, and the shoulderpads are neat, but I think the chest is a bit too revealing, and I ordinarily consider myself a prude, but I have no issue with the midriff.

I am amused that someone so prudish would speak harshly about the character designs and then spout off curse words in every sentence or two (especially with such an offensive thread title), there's definitely a cognitive incongruence here.

R:2 though, I'm not fond of several design choices, but really Haseo's first outfit is nearly the same design concept as Moonstone's which is to say, just fine. Pi though, is a mess. I have a feeling storywise this is because they wanted to tie the look to something like a dominatrix due to Tarvos being the Avatar related to Pain. As it is basically confirmed that Pi didn't create her character, it was a remnant from the failed R.A. Plan that Jun Bansyoya kept on his personal PC to try and prevent Jyotaro Amagi from going through with his schemes.

(Quantum Spoilers!)
In //Quantum Pi's player takes a PC design more akin to Aina for the purposes of looking for information in regards to Ovan.

All this said I do wish they would have stopped at the early design they had for Pi which was a dignified design which still looked the same role as Pi.

Yata's bare chest is not just for looks (though I would be lying if I said it wasn't worthy of emulation), but it's also a classical religious style of attire.

Tabby's a mess, I mostly dislike the character and dislike her appearance. I will agree with you there that is just creepy.

That's pretty much it. The new characters that //Link introduces all look basically fine
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

hmmmm. id say that about sums it up. i dont have anything to add to that last comment. Tho pointing fingers at me and judging me for trying to figure out why cyber connect did what they did. sure i used foul language but im human. aslo i was fine with balmung , orca, and blackrose/mimiru designs because hey. its proper battle armor.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

SCP173music wrote:G.U. on the other hand. Has an overated character. the whole thing being able to control the phases of morganna kinda made me feel op. the character design is to slutty. for BOTH men and women. AND, the took away riding grunty's........with a god damn steampunk bike. that and they **** up kite. I was pissed with the storyline they gave kite.
Controlling the phases of morganna does feel kinda OP now that you mention it, but I think the reason why people liked Haseo so much (at least, why I liked him) was how much he developed over the course of the three games. By the end of it, you actually kinda feel proud of him for opening up to his friends and stuff, it's pretty touching imo.

I missed riding grunties too, but I also really really liked the motor cycle. I think the only down side to it (aside from losing grunties that we got emotionally attached to while watching them grow :( ) is that the super "good" parts are also butt-ugly. (by the third game my once beautiful steam punk bike looked like Rayquaza's ugly cousin!)

I forgot what they did with kite though.

(EDIT: Sorry for going off topic! I pretty much agree with what Xu Yuan said!)
God Ginrai

Post by God Ginrai »

SCP173music wrote:hmmmm. id say that about sums it up. i dont have anything to add to that last comment. Tho pointing fingers at me and judging me for trying to figure out why cyber connect did what they did. sure i used foul language but im human. aslo i was fine with balmung , orca, and blackrose/mimiru designs because hey. its proper battle armor.
If you seriously believe that Mimiru and Blackrose's armor can qualify as proper battle armor in the least, you are sadly mistaken.

Anyways, the whole "aesthetic" for GU is a lot easier to understand when you think about the fact that these are all character models people created in an MMORPG using the defaults. That's why Atoli and Shino have almost cookie-cutter similarities, because they didn't stray much from the default. The defaults of course would be based on the "sex sells" idea because the fictional CC Corp is a money-grubbing corporation that will do what it takes to sell their games.

-God Ginrai
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

God Ginrai wrote: Anyways, the whole "aesthetic" for GU is a lot easier to understand when you think about the fact that these are all character models people created in an MMORPG using the defaults. That's why Atoli and Shino have almost cookie-cutter similarities, because they didn't stray much from the default. The defaults of course would be based on the "sex sells" idea because the fictional CC Corp is a money-grubbing corporation that will do what it takes to sell their games.

-God Ginrai
Why did i never took this in account? It is true that CC2 Is a good, honest company... But just as you said, it isn't CC2 we must judge and see... But instead the in game companies and universe they're in! CC2 focused so much in getting us inside the game that even the character looks were made with CC Corp's CEO mind and not CC2's! ...

So... Actually, it makes sense that the characters look both cool, slutty, and generic...

As for the Phase control being OP...

Don't you consider Kite having the abilities of Data Drain(And it's whole sub-family), Gate Hacking, The Actual Book of Twilight, and even Direct contact with Aura are OP as well?

Haseo barely has average intelligence, some good gaming skills, and a lot of luck when meeting people. Don't you think he must've had some help as well? You know, since Cubia got bigger and a new something bred called AIDA...

Plus! Everyone knows second parts(even if they aren't always better) take the first part enemies and makes them o
r allies! (Just like Kingdom Hearts' crappy mobility, got improved and became your most precious--if not only, cause keyblades never help unless you get the last two-- weapon thorough the second game and bosses). So why not take the first part's enemies and FUSE them with you?!
Crows

Post by Crows »

One of my favorite parts of .hack is that both the guys and the girls get a boat load of fanservice, it feels like a lot of games will have the guys moderately dressed and the girls "sexy" because they don't want to scare off the guys. In .hack there is a decent mix of fanservice for guys and girls.

These characters are people playing an online game, is it really that much of a stretch to think that their designs look cool? Reiko states in Quantum that the "little girl" design isn't her type at all. She designs characters like Pi and Ender because she likes having "sexy" characters. Atoli and Shino probably didn't change the default design too much because they liked the way it looked. Tabby probably designed her character because cats are cute and didn't really think about how some guys would react to busty cat girls.

Yeah Haseo's outfits are "feminine" (note that until the xth form the bare skin part functioned to show the wave marks on his character, which he probably picked out because he thought they looked cool. The xth form is designed to look like Skeith and had a few radically different prototypes before they settled on how they wanted him to look. Personally I think the one we got looked the best although I think the second design is really cool because the lines on the shirt and the circle thing in the back bear a strong resemblance to Skeith's wand. So it's kind of a bummer the final design is missing that element) until his xth form they are also all black and "edgy" too. Like his 1st form that would give a final fantasy character a run for their money with the amount of belts that it has, and the 3rd form which is literally made of spikes. So I could totally picture an insecure 17 year old boy trying to make this cool looking "rogue" type character by cramming in as much "cool" stuff as possible. If I remember correctly sometime in the beginning of ROOTS you hear people talking about how they think his design is tacky.

It also makes sense too that there are more dark/sexy designs since The World R:2 was marketed as being darker and edgier in universe and characters with "cute" designs like Gaspard had a tendency to attract bullies who thought they were uncool.

To be honest I don't think it's that different than the IMOQ designs. Blackrose, Mimiru and Mia have already been mentioned but what about Subaru? Her character is a strong, but gentle leader. But her design is basically "a collar, a bra with poofy sleeves, a long skirt, and high heeled boots". The only thing even remotely "modest" about her outfit is her skirt, and her clothes are even ripped up for no real reason (considering she's playing a video game) in one of the most "emotional" scenes in SIGN. Still, her design isn't treated as her trying to be sexy or trying to attract men. Off the only characters that really are "trying to be sexy" are Pi and Bordeaux, because they like to use that as part of their character when playing the game. There are a ton of other "fanservice" character designs but none of them are treated like fanservice characters.