Matsuyama on G.U. HD [JP]

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Falions

Matsuyama on G.U. HD [JP]

Post by Falions »

A recent interview with Matsuyama on .hack//G.U. remakes. I ran the thing under Google translate, but couldn't figure out much...

If anyone can pick up the gist of what's being said, it'd be great to know!
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: Matsuyama on G.U. HD [JP]

Post by Kuukai »

I usually use this blog for my detailed .hack news analysis, since this guy pays even more attention to the radio and other stuff than I do, and usually has a good idea of the state of affairs, breaking down everything logically: http://blog.livedoor.jp/silver_1101/arc ... .html#more

One thing Matsuyama mentions is that Bandai Namco got angry with his 10th anniversary statement he made in conjunction with Guilty Dragon's promotion since it gave the impression that something is actually coming out or being remade. That was right before E3, so everyone expected something at E3, which obviously didn't happen at all. This makes sense when you consider he's been saying the exact same things for 2 years and it hasn't meant anything specific so far. This is probably more of the same.

If they were to make an online game, it would have to be technologically and narratively superior to other online games. If they were to make a PS4 game, it would have to look better than Trilogy. Otherwise they consider there to be no point in just doing something mediocre. So it's either all or nothing. They want to do this, but whether or not they actually are or are able to is something they can't say. Obviously they know how fans feel. If possible they'd like to make something in a similar feel to G.U.

Bandai Namco would want to release a hypothetical remake with the best timing (i.e. it doesn't conflict with ANYTHING else they're releasing, the market is right and it's at the right point in a platform's lifecycle), which would be the main reason it wouldn't have happened yet.

It's hard to finish ZERO because it isn't a CC2-only project (but they gave it a nice home and conclusion in Link).

.hack//bullet's author is currently in the climax of developing their new project, so until that calms down there will be no new updates. Once it calms down, they expect to resume, and are considering a physical novel release.

The "3rd Season" is technically over, but .hack continues on with Guilty Dragon thanks to fans' support.

tldr: This is basically nothing that hasn't been said before, or at least expressed through action. The tiny pieces of actually new information only serve to explain the company's actions that we're always observed (ZERO stalling forever, bullet stalling for now, no concrete info on any new .hack project).
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

Kuukai wrote:If they were to make a PS4 game, it would have to look better than Trilogy. Otherwise they consider there to be no point in just doing something mediocre.
Why's Trilogy the high-bar here? Didn't both BtW and Versus top it in graphics?
It's hard to finish ZERO because it isn't a CC2-only project (but they gave it a nice home and conclusion in Link).
"hard to finish"? Is that to be taken as its not ruled out as being finished? I wonder if a Vol.2 released over a decade later would even possibly have the same "feel" as the original did.
.hack//bullet's author is currently in the climax of developing their new project, so until that calms down there will be no new updates. Once it calms down, they expect to resume, and are considering a physical novel release.
Finally some explanation to its absence @_@;
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

From a graphics perspective, Trilogy is a bit more detailed than PS3 could ever be: http://hdwallpapers.cat/wallpaper/haseo ... 122732.jpg

That's not to knock Versus, though, it was beautiful. This just means they want to do better. And .hack//The Movie might be unreachable on PS4 in the same way.

It means they'll never finish ZERO.
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Some interesting information here and seeing things from within the company perspective is a nice change of pace, especially since the Japanese seem to try to keep the lid closed on the internals of their companies. That release schedule is... worrying though. It's a perfect storm that has a very small window of opportunity. Games nowadays take anywhere from 3 to 6 years to make normally and predicting all of those occurrences in that span of time seems unrealistic. The idea of a remake does sound interesting, though I wonder why they'd choose to remake G.U. over the original Quadrilogy? I mean, I love the original .hack// to death, but a bit more polish in... well everything, would really make the game feel new again (also if they wanted to throw in some //XXXX Cubia, then by all means!)
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

Kuukai wrote:I usually use this blog for my detailed .hack news analysis, since this guy pays even more attention to the radio and other stuff than I do, and usually has a good idea of the state of affairs, breaking down everything logically: http://blog.livedoor.jp/silver_1101/arc ... .html#more

One thing Matsuyama mentions is that Bandai Namco got angry with his 10th anniversary statement he made in conjunction with Guilty Dragon's promotion since it gave the impression that something is actually coming out or being remade. That was right before E3, so everyone expected something at E3, which obviously didn't happen at all. This makes sense when you consider he's been saying the exact same things for 2 years and it hasn't meant anything specific so far. This is probably more of the same.

If they were to make an online game, it would have to be technologically and narratively superior to other online games. If they were to make a PS4 game, it would have to look better than Trilogy. Otherwise they consider there to be no point in just doing something mediocre. So it's either all or nothing. They want to do this, but whether or not they actually are or are able to is something they can't say. Obviously they know how fans feel. If possible they'd like to make something in a similar feel to G.U.

Bandai Namco would want to release a hypothetical remake with the best timing (i.e. it doesn't conflict with ANYTHING else they're releasing, the market is right and it's at the right point in a platform's lifecycle), which would be the main reason it wouldn't have happened yet.

The "3rd Season" is technically over, but .hack continues on with Guilty Dragon thanks to fans' support.

tldr: This is basically nothing that hasn't been said before, or at least expressed through action. The tiny pieces of actually new information only serve to explain the company's actions that we're always observed (ZERO stalling forever, bullet stalling for now, no concrete info on any new .hack project).
Thank you for being so thorough about it, but now it makes me think that perhaps we'll never see something .hack related again.

Then again I have been wrong before. There was a time when I thought Virtual Reality was just some kind of crazy fever dream, but now a bunch of companies are competing and innovating VR that it really, truly feels like it is close to actually happening.

.hack does have a few hardcore fans, but it feels like such a teeny tiny fanbase, it makes me wonder if they'll even try to make something .hack when they could just as easily put time and effort into new IP's without seeming like a "dated and unpopular version of SAO" or something...
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

.hack has a lot more fans than you would think, enough to make Guilty Dragon one of their only successful smartphone games (the majority of them failed) and enough for the internet to go crazy about once a month with fake news. I think this is what they'd say even if they were currently making something, so I'm still a little optimistic. Regardless, they're due to announce some sort of cool console non-fighting/Naruto/Jojo game soon, that muh has been confirmed.
Falions

Post by Falions »

It's a bit discouraging, especially considering that they are working on three projects and the thought that maybe none of them are new .hack titles is really saddening.

The only thing we can do is just hope.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Even if they were making an RPG that isn't .hack, that would be a pretty big step forward in my opinion.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

Kuukai wrote:Even if they were making an RPG that isn't .hack, that would be a pretty big step forward in my opinion.
I agree with this.
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

Ohh I musta overlooked that possible physical release of Bullet tidbit. Wonder if they'd add alil something extra as incentive to buy it?

3rd season is over... with so much unresolved stuff. Aura, Emma, Ovan, 13th File, etc. ~_~;

I saw Naruto got delayed to next year so the only new game release from CC2 this year will be Jojo 2. That pretty low output! Guess they really did drop mobile for the most part (still supporting GD & FB). Figure they're gonna unveil at least 1 of the 3 games before the year ends to so what they got in store beyond stuff that was supposed to come this year!
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Well the one sure thing is console games are making a comeback. Bandai Namco can't deny this.

Blue: Bandai Namco console game sales
Red: Bandai Namco online game sales

http://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999905 ... SS/007.jpg

Although it's definitely important to note that the profit margin is far greater for online games, console games aren't disappearing any time soon - as Namco Bandai's mobile push would have you believe. In fact, these sorts of figures in spite of their general downsizing of console development pretty much shows they're moving in the wrong direction with that. So hopefully someone with some sense will sign off on what CC2 wants to do, rather than betting everything on a mobile game trend that might not be as inevitable as they thought. And while making a hundred mobile games might generate 1 or 2 massive hits, the other 98 will surely just serve to tarnish their reputation and devalue their company.

That said, they've done a good job of remaining inexplicably profitable throughout the years (and bizarrely, so has Konami), so rationalize as I may Bandai Namco has at least been making sound business decisions so far.
Adhemas

Post by Adhemas »

Is it one of those new projects nobody knows anything about (aside from the fact that it might be a RPG)? If that's the case it could be a hint that one of them is actually a .hack game if they need Bullet's author to help with that. I kinda hope the webnovel series will continue soon though.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

It could be anything, I guess we'll have to see.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Article by CC2 about developing "high-end games" in upcoming Famitsu: http://www.cc2.co.jp/cc2news/?p=9208&ut ... m=facebook

They'll talk about their new projects but probably not by name.
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

hmmmm. Anyone else think its time for a .hack PC game? Like, make it just like the world was supposed to operate.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

you know what they are waiting for right? Once all the Virtual Reality gaming stuff is finally out and released (occulus, morpheus, etc), that is when they will bring it back, or so I am hoping lol.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

Maybe they'll make more stuff available for the PS4 and Steam, like some of those Tales of (such and such) games?

I'm crossing my fingers for some sweet, sweet insight, even if it's not 100% dot hack related.
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

Last week a buncha Bamco TGS titles got "leaked" an not a .hack named game were amongst 'em. Could one or more of these be a secret CC2 game? Beats me! No matter what I'm sure they plan on showing more then 14 games there so there's always hope.

- Console/Handheld
The Asterisk War: The Academy City of the Water Houka Kenran
Crows: Burning Edge
Giant Shadow City Granzella
Girl Friend Beta: Summer Vacation Spent With You
The Idolmaster: Must Songs
The Idolmaster
Kamen Rider: Battride War Creation
Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS Force
Summon Night 6: Lost Borders
Taiko Drum Master: Atsumete Tomodachi Daisakusen!

- Smartphone
Kuroko’s Basketball
New World
Saint Seiya
SD Gundam Operations
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

I'm hoping CC2 can keep their games hidden until TGS though I don't recognise any titles they've worked on in that list..atleast to my knowledge anyway.

Still over two weeks away before TGS begins @.@