references to real life

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

JinnoftheDesert

references to real life

Post by JinnoftheDesert »

.hack Makes allot of references to real life things, for example balmung and sigrid are references to a real life German epic poem. Lately I've been trying to find a list of all references like this in .hack but have found nothing even on the wiki, so i thought we could make a list here. If anyone is also interested in this i hope you can add what you find here. Thanks.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: references to real life

Post by Kuukai »

This thread might help you: http://www.dothackers.net/forums/viewto ... f=2&t=4472

One interesting recent one is the revelation that The World is called Alba. In Scottish Gaelic, Scotland is called "Alba," which derives from the old name of Great Britain as a whole, Albion. The root, *albiio- also found in Gaulish and Galatian albio- "world" and Welsh elfydd (Old Welsh elbid) "earth, world, land, country, district", and may be related to other European and Mediterranean toponyms such as Alpes and Albania. It has two possible etymologies: either *albho-, a Proto-Indo-European root meaning "white" (perhaps in reference to the white southern shores of the island, though Celtic linguist Xavier Delamarre argued that it originally meant "the world above, the visible world", in opposition to "the world below", i.e., the underworld in Celtic religion), or *alb-, Proto-Indo-European for "hill". [Wikipedia]

So when it comes down to it, "Alba" basically means "The World." And it matches the setting which derives a lot of Celtic influence.