Trying hard to locate and purchase these game!

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

CLANG

Trying hard to locate and purchase these game!

Post by CLANG »

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums and want to start off by saying Hi to everyone, and thanks for the great site!

I have been trying hard to hunt down and buy all seven of these games.. I love RPGs and after randomly coming across vol1 INFECTION in a local game store, I was immediately hooked. I managed to grab vol2 Reminisce of GU. there as well a month later, but as for the rest it looks like eBay is the only place to find them, but at some of the prices people are asking for them its insane!

So I was just wondering if anyone knows of any other resources I could use for finding the rest of the games for both series at a fair price.. I'm dying to advance the story in both series and GU was a very pleasant surprise I loved it!

I managed to find Mutation at 25$ complete which seems fair, Outbreak at 25$ but they are all either missing the anime or booklet etc... but no luck with Quarantine (double what it cost new!?). Rebirth and redemption I have found at around 50$ each in fair condition but that's a bit more than I would really like to pay...

What really is the fair price of these games nowadays?
Bullet Biter

Re: Trying hard to locate and purchase these game!

Post by Bullet Biter »

The prices of the games have only been going up as time goes on and it seems $50~$70 is the normal price for the GU games (each) while the IMOQ games seem to vary from $15~$30 for the first three but Quarantine will rarely ever drop below $90.

This is all in my personal experience in my area and lurking through eBay auctions
CLANG

Post by CLANG »

Well I decided to bite the bullet and just buy them from eBay.. Actually found some decent deals compared to what's out there I guess - mutation complete for 23.99, outbreak complete for 32.99 ( :/ ), and GU redemption complete for 49.99.

Still need Quarantine though...

Lol I actually got my copy of GU reminisce for 3$ a while back.. Hehehe ^_^
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

d(^_^) glad to hear you've picked up some of the games, even if you did end up paying more for them than you wanted. Sometimes amazon may have a cheaper price but depends on the condition and contents. Heck I use to see Quarantine for £30 which wasn't too bad considering ebay wanted £40+ which may not have the DVD.
CLANG

Post by CLANG »

Thanks I'm finally on my way to playing them all the way through uninterupted :)

I got em all now, and after much negotiating and hours spent digging, I managed to secure some really good deals too! You were right about amazon a day before I posted this thread I messaged a seller an offer of 50$ for Quarantine and he accepted it today, I was like ^O^ WOOT lol. It's MINT but missing the manual, but I can live with that.

I also found Infection in with a lot of 9 mint games on eBay and snagged it for a .99 cent bid! (8$ shipping)

So all said and done -

Infection - 1$ (9 games 1$ each :p)
Mutation - 24$ complete mint
Outbreak - 29$ complete mint
Quarantine - 50$ no manual mint

GU Rebirth - 35$ complete mint
GU Reminisce - 3$ no manual mint ^_^
GU Redemption - 50$ complete mint

In the end I think I did ok, finding a complete copy of any one of these games nowadays is a chore and a half lol :)
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Well without a doubt they are some fine purchases, keep that collection close and do enjoy the fantastic story these games have to offer! (Though I am still hoping in my heart for an HD Remaster for them down the line)
Falions

Post by Falions »

I lucked out back in 2013 at a game store that didn't know their worth, and managed to get all 3 G.U. games for $20 each. IMOQ was a bit harder. I found Infection on Amazon for $15, Mutation I found at the aforementioned store a year or two prior, where I found it inside of a case for G.U. vol 2... anyway. Outbreak I got on eBay for $40, and around late 2013 I had a lot of money and when I was out with some friends one weekend I stopped by at a local game store and there sat Quarantine for a solid $100. I bit the bullet because it was complete with the Liminality disk and everything.

Basically just keep an eye out! You'll get those deals eventually. It also helped that I live in a big city with a myriad of stores to check. (For a period of time I was colloquially known as "The .hack Guy" because I would call every Monday to a list of 15 or so used game stores asking if anyone had sold them a .hack game)
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Falions wrote:I lucked out back in 2013 at a game store that didn't know their worth, and managed to get all 3 G.U. games for $20 each.
That was a lucky find, its not often you come across stores/sellers underpricing rare games, especially nowadays when they compare to ebay/amazon ^^'
Falions wrote:Mutation I found at the aforementioned store a year or two prior, where I found it inside of a case for G.U. vol 2... there sat Quarantine for a solid $100. I bit the bullet because it was complete with the Liminality disk and everything.
o-0 the heck was it doing inside a G.U. case, a mix-up by the store? Wow that was pricy for Quarantine but atleast it came with everything and you had the cash. Its a shame that its hard for existing fans of .hack to get the games let alone new comers since they are pricy and hard to come across in stores.
Falions wrote:(For a period of time I was colloquially known as "The .hack Guy" because I would call every Monday to a list of 15 or so used game stores asking if anyone had sold them a .hack game)
xD saves you explaining why you were in, hopefully you didn't have many trips that ending with "yeah we just sold it 5 minutes ago" as thats happened to me afew times..just in general involving last copies ^^'

I used to pick up my copies of .hack//IMOQ from Gamecentre way back when, had acquired the first from GAME for £40 but soon learned GC sold them atleast £5 cheaper. So I was often in there to pick up the latest release when it was due,didn't help when it was delayed over here .-. I did wrangle up a good deal on ebay, someone desperate for cash was selling: IMOQ (NTSC), 4 guides, G.U. Special Edition + guide for $110 or so ^_^
Falions

Post by Falions »

SSJScygoku wrote:
Falions wrote:I lucked out back in 2013 at a game store that didn't know their worth, and managed to get all 3 G.U. games for $20 each.
That was a lucky find, its not often you come across stores/sellers underpricing rare games, especially nowadays when they compare to ebay/amazon ^^'
Falions wrote:Mutation I found at the aforementioned store a year or two prior, where I found it inside of a case for G.U. vol 2... there sat Quarantine for a solid $100. I bit the bullet because it was complete with the Liminality disk and everything.
o-0 the heck was it doing inside a G.U. case, a mix-up by the store? Wow that was pricy for Quarantine but atleast it came with everything and you had the cash. Its a shame that its hard for existing fans of .hack to get the games let alone new comers since they are pricy and hard to come across in stores.
Falions wrote:(For a period of time I was colloquially known as "The .hack Guy" because I would call every Monday to a list of 15 or so used game stores asking if anyone had sold them a .hack game)
xD saves you explaining why you were in, hopefully you didn't have many trips that ending with "yeah we just sold it 5 minutes ago" as thats happened to me afew times..just in general involving last copies ^^'

I used to pick up my copies of .hack//IMOQ from Gamecentre way back when, had acquired the first from GAME for £40 but soon learned GC sold them atleast £5 cheaper. So I was often in there to pick up the latest release when it was due,didn't help when it was delayed over here .-. I did wrangle up a good deal on ebay, someone desperate for cash was selling: IMOQ (NTSC), 4 guides, G.U. Special Edition + guide for $110 or so ^_^
$110 for all that should be illegal!!

And yeah, it was a mix-up... I called them about it afterward and they said they would give me a discount on my next purchase. (Which was all 3 G.U. games!)

As for the priceyness... it's understandable why they're so rare, Quarantine especially. 2015 marks 11 years since I first discovered .hack//SIGN at seven years old, and being as young as I was I couldn't both convince my parents to buy a PS2 (which was still pretty pricey back then) let alone persuade them into letting me buy T-rated games. It was a struggle, but after so many years I somehow managed to stay celibate and keep myself from spoiling the games by watching them on YouTube, and beat them all in 2013.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Falions wrote: $110 for all that should be illegal!!

And yeah, it was a mix-up... I called them about it afterward and they said they would give me a discount on my next purchase. (Which was all 3 G.U. games!)

As for the priceyness... it's understandable why they're so rare, Quarantine especially. 2015 marks 11 years since I first discovered .hack//SIGN at seven years old, and being as young as I was I couldn't both convince my parents to buy a PS2 (which was still pretty pricey back then) let alone persuade them into letting me buy T-rated games. It was a struggle, but after so many years I somehow managed to stay celibate and keep myself from spoiling the games by watching them on YouTube, and beat them all in 2013.
It was an amazing deal considering just Quarantine and another game would've cost that must. It was far cheaper than what I paid for the PAL versions of the games at the time of release ^^'

:D it worked out in the end and you got the G.U. games for a discounted price,i'd imagine they were more costly compared to Mutation.

>.> they should have re-released them even if digitally, that way they could make money rather than gamers forking out ridiculous sums of money to obtain one game. Hell you can get all the japanese IMOQ games for less than what they want for one game. That was quite the wait you had to endure,luckily you hold off until then, its never the same watching a game on youtube than it is playing for yourself ^.^

I was waiting since 2006 to play .hack//G.U., holding off on reading (still got spoiled alittle) and expected it to be released here eventually since IMOQ got a UK came out here. Afew years later I wound up just importing a US PS2 and the games, shame my previous PAL data couldn't be imported .-.
Falions

Post by Falions »

SSJScygoku wrote:
Falions wrote: $110 for all that should be illegal!!

It was an amazing deal considering just Quarantine and another game would've cost that must. It was far cheaper than what I paid for the PAL versions of the games at the time of release ^^'

:D it worked out in the end and you got the G.U. games for a discounted price,i'd imagine they were more costly compared to Mutation.

>.> they should have re-released them even if digitally, that way they could make money rather than gamers forking out ridiculous sums of money to obtain one game. Hell you can get all the japanese IMOQ games for less than what they want for one game. That was quite the wait you had to endure,luckily you hold off until then, its never the same watching a game on youtube than it is playing for yourself ^.^

I was waiting since 2006 to play .hack//G.U., holding off on reading (still got spoiled alittle) and expected it to be released here eventually since IMOQ got a UK came out here. Afew years later I wound up just importing a US PS2 and the games, shame my previous PAL data couldn't be imported .-.
I really feel bad for you fans in the PAL region, and not just about .hack. It's a shame really, and to make it even worse the boxart is usually horrible.
At least you don't live in Australia.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Falions wrote: I really feel bad for you fans in the PAL region, and not just about .hack. It's a shame really, and to make it even worse the boxart is usually horrible.
^^' Tell me about it, we don't get as much as the US and you are right about the boxart being worse over here. Its like they choose the worst in their boxset selection for us.
I hear you don't get much over there but atleast your games are region free ^^'
Falions

Post by Falions »

SSJScygoku wrote:
Falions wrote: I really feel bad for you fans in the PAL region, and not just about .hack. It's a shame really, and to make it even worse the boxart is usually horrible.
^^' Tell me about it, we don't get as much as the US and you are right about the boxart being worse over here. Its like they choose the worst in their boxset selection for us.
I hear you don't get much over there but atleast your games are region free ^^'
I don't live in Australia, but I've heard horror stories...
A friend of mine who lives down in Brisbane told me about how Atlus decided to region lock Persona 4 Arena (and like 99% of PS3 games are region free) so they had to wait over a year for it to be sent down there and also sold at an absurd price.

I live in Canada, so I generally get the same stuff as the US. Only difference is higher prices cause of our exchange rate, and the back of the box always has a French translation on it...
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Falions wrote:I don't live in Australia, but I've heard horror stories...
A friend of mine who lives down in Brisbane told me about how Atlus decided to region lock Persona 4 Arena (and like 99% of PS3 games are region free) so they had to wait over a year for it to be sent down there and also sold at an absurd price.

I live in Canada, so I generally get the same stuff as the US. Only difference is higher prices cause of our exchange rate, and the back of the box always has a French translation on it...
o-0 odd I thought all PS3 games were region free or that the console was region free as I play .hack//Versus on mine. That sucks your friend had to wait so long for a game,then needing to pay so much for it when its readily avaliable here. I can imagine the price seeing as there are plenty of games that don't come out there and the cost of shipping can be high. On the bright side Australia gets some anime boxsets thats not out in the US/UK yet @.@

<.< Atleast it helps distinquish between and US and Canadian release, didn't realise french was spoken much in Canada.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

P4 Arena is one of the only region-locked games because it was a simultaneous release of the exact same content (all-region online play I believe and all languages text/audio - which I really approve of, this is the all-in-one disc of the future that former top-level Sony CEO Howard Stringer envisioned, and given today's technology anything less is a ripoff). Because essentially the same disc was launching simultaneously in the U.S. at a lower price point than in Japan (their prices are ridiculous), the Japanese publisher stipulated that it be region-locked.

I knew there would be a little bit of stuff like this when I bought a PS3 but figured the American console was so much cheaper than other regions' it would work out. Applying that to the present, if I lived in Australia or the UK and was looking at like £319 for a PS4, I would import an American one (it's like $100 USD less, more than enough for shipping) and recommend everyone I know do the same. When Japan and America make deals, it's the other regions that are going to get screwed. The base U.S. console is cheaper, the occasional region-locked game is cheaper than Japan's, it's definitely the most cost-effective investment. If you're a billionaire I'd instead recommend the Japanese console for the one-in-a-thousand expensive region-locked thing that might happen to be cooler on it. I'm not sure why so many people (including Japan) not in North America buy the console domestically rather than import. Amazon Marketplace. Enterprising Americans will ship these things to Antarctica if they have to.

It sucks that this advice only applies to Sony consoles, though.
Falions

Post by Falions »

SSJScygoku wrote:
Falions wrote:I don't live in Australia, but I've heard horror stories...

o-0 odd I thought all PS3 games were region free or that the console was region free as I play .hack//Versus on mine. That sucks your friend had to wait so long for a game,then needing to pay so much for it when its readily avaliable here. I can imagine the price seeing as there are plenty of games that don't come out there and the cost of shipping can be high. On the bright side Australia gets some anime boxsets thats not out in the US/UK yet @.@

<.< Atleast it helps distinquish between and US and Canadian release, didn't realise french was spoken much in Canada.
French is recognized as an official language of Canada, despite only one province speaking it.

It's silly, but oh well. At least they don't mess with our boxarts.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I'll always accept more languages as long as they aren't taking any out. Heavy Rain has slightly more replayability since you can run it in German.