.hack//Ch

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: .hack//Ch

Post by Kuukai »

It means they can handle it better. Tokio resonates with his environment on multiple levels. His stats change depending on his partner, he can open Aura's lock, he can adapt to the digital environment, at least temporarily.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Kuukai wrote:It means they can handle it better. Tokio resonates with his environment on multiple levels. His stats change depending on his partner, he can open Aura's lock, he can adapt to the digital environment, at least temporarily.
And non-Doublewares are unable to do it. I got that.

So this must suggest that everyone, be it Double-Ware or not connects with a digital environment on some kind of level. Makes me wonder if there was someone who wasn't able to resonate at all.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

So far, apparently not. Tanaka apparently just has the option not to.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

For anyone interested, I made a full listing of all the episodes CC2 posted, since they're hard to find. This includes everything but episode 7.

For NicoNico, you can use the username/password: nikoguest@gmail.com/nikoguest

Episode 0
Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3
Episode 1
Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3
Episode 2
Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3
Episode 3

Episode 4

Episode 5

Episode 6

Episode 8

Episode 9 (Final) - We are all Tanaka!!
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

^(^__^)^ awesome! Thanks for posting the videos and a username/password Kuukai~
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Not sure if this is what was said in the videos or if this is incredibly old news but I found this a few days ago.

The post is 7 months old though...

http://satoshi-mochida.tumblr.com/post/ ... works-says
HD remake of .hack
OH DEAR GOD YES!!! DO THAT!!!
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

We covered that on this site, although that's not really the best translation: http://dothackers.net/forums/viewtopic. ... 27#p470927

So, that's why it's been 7 months.

But hey, at least they haven't forgotten about .hack completely, they're still releasing very-expensive merchandise:

ImageImage

Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Kuukai wrote:We covered that on this site, although that's not really the best translation: http://dothackers.net/forums/viewtopic. ... 27#p470927

So, that's why it's been 7 months.

But hey, at least they haven't forgotten about .hack completely, they're still releasing very-expensive merchandise:

ImageImage

If money is an issue then why don't they just start a Kickstarter like the developer of Mighty No. 9 did?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I see a couple of reasons. The big one is the involvement of Bandai Namco. They produced and own the franchise. They certainly aren't Kickstarter users. In general, it isn't very Japanese. It's not the traditional or "professional" way for a large company to look, asking for free money from consumers. Also it's new, which also makes it fairly incompatible with Japanese business, where the culture and acceptable risks move like icebergs. And it's not very well known over there. Keiji "I Like Money" Inafune aside, not very many Japanese projects exist on it, and for that you're talking about a guy who outsourced his games to Canada, which is also a very uncommon approach in Japan.

It's also probably not just about money, as all this merchandising and Guilty Dragon certainly brings in some, and despite whatever budget limitations they may have they were still able to animate Thanatos Report for seemingly no good reason. CC2's teams are spread pretty thin over many games because of the Pazudora-inspired social game craze, so even within the company there could be hesitation on starting another big project like this.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Kuukai wrote:I see a couple of reasons. The big one is the involvement of Bandai Namco. They produced and own the franchise. They certainly aren't Kickstarter users. In general, it isn't very Japanese. It's not the traditional or "professional" way for a large company to look, asking for free money from consumers. Also it's new, which also makes it fairly incompatible with Japanese business, where the culture and acceptable risks move like icebergs. And it's not very well known over there. Keiji "I Like Money" Inafune aside, not very many Japanese projects exist on it, and for that you're talking about a guy who outsourced his games to Canada, which is also a very uncommon approach in Japan.

It's also probably not just about money, as all this merchandising and Guilty Dragon certainly brings in some, and despite whatever budget limitations they may have they were still able to animate Thanatos Report for seemingly no good reason. CC2's teams are spread pretty thin over many games because of the Pazudora-inspired social game craze, so even within the company there could be hesitation on starting another big project like this.
I never liked the producer/developer relationship. Don't see how Bandai "owns" .Hack, they didn't come up with the series.

Not willing to go the extra mile because of Japanese tradition?
It shouldn't matter how it "looks' from a business appearance, if there are people willing to donate alittle money to help out isn't that a good thing? It shows that there are fans who still show their support.

Besides, can you blame Inafune? He had an idea for a game and Capcom didn't want to support him. Not to mention all of the Megaman games that Capcom cancelled constantly~
Last edited by Keyaki on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Keyaki wrote:I never liked the producer/developer relationship. Don't see how Bandai "owns" .Hack, they didn't come up with the series.
To be fair, Daisuke Uchiyama of Bandai came up with the entire "fictional MMO" concept. Without the producer, it certainly wouldn't have been .hack, it would have just been another fantasy RPG. Then they provided the money to make not just one but four volumes packaged with full-length anime episodes (in Japan that's a two-for-one value) and helped introduce the fledgling game company to big-name creators (including the writer, the director, and the character designer) to ensure the franchise was successful and had popular appeal. Uchiyama's producership allowed Project .hack to involve numerous other large Japanese companies, including Kadokawa, which instrumental for the various manga and novel sidestories to be created and released. His strategy and Bandai's capital was also pivotal in releasing SIGN before anyone knew if the franchise would be successful. Without Bandai, .hack would be about as notable today as Silent Bomber. Producers tend to play a huge role, whether it's for better or for worse.
Keyaki wrote:Not willing to go the extra mile because of Japanese tradition?
Not willing to take a new set of risks publicly and privately. That's how most businesses are in general, but Japan in particular.

Personally, I think you can also add that Kickstarter is exploitative. A lot of people equate funding one with supporting a project and making it possible, but I think a lot of Kickstarter companies just view it as a way to not need a business loan. Once the project takes off, they forget that the whole thing was a "gift" from their supporters.

I'd be more optimistic if people used it responsibly. I think piracy could become a relic of the past if content was pre-funded like this. Who cares if anyone's stealing it if everyone's already been paid? But sadly you don't see a lot of that.
Keyaki wrote:Besides, can you blame Inafune? He had an idea for a game and Capcom didn't want to support him. Not to mention all of the Megaman games that Capcom cancelled constantly~
I'm mainly saying his approaches are very different from the rest of the Japanese development community. Much more Western-focused.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

To be fair, Daisuke Uchiyama of Bandai came up with the entire "fictional MMO" concept. Without the producer, it certainly wouldn't have been .hack, it would have just been another fantasy RPG. Then they provided the money to make not just one but four volumes packaged with full-length anime episodes (in Japan that's a two-for-one value) and helped introduce the fledgling game company to big-name creators (including the writer, the director, and the character designer) to ensure the franchise was successful and had popular appeal. Uchiyama's producership allowed Project .hack to involve numerous other large Japanese companies, including Kadokawa, which instrumental for the various manga and novel sidestories to be created and released. His strategy and Bandai's capital was also pivotal in releasing SIGN before anyone knew if the franchise would be successful. Without Bandai, .hack would be about as notable today as Silent Bomber. Producers tend to play a huge role, whether it's for better or for worse.
And now he and the rest of Bandai lost interest, leaving //Link mired in Japan unable to get to the US, despite the campaign we had.
Not willing to take a new set of risks publicly and privately. That's how most businesses are in general, but Japan in particular.
Ironic since businesses need to take risks to take-off in the first place.
Personally, I think you can also add that Kickstarter is exploitative. A lot of people equate funding one with supporting a project and making it possible, but I think a lot of Kickstarter companies just view it as a way to not need a business loan. Once the project takes off, they forget that the whole thing was a "gift" from their supporters.

I'd be more optimistic if people used it responsibly. I think piracy could become a relic of the past if content was pre-funded like this. Who cares if anyone's stealing it if everyone's already been paid? But sadly you don't see a lot of that.
Reminds me of a similar situation with another game....but I'm gonna leave Gravity Corp out of this~
I'm mainly saying his approaches are very different from the rest of the Japanese development community. Much more Western-focused.
Maybe, but again. Can't really blame him too much for being ambitious and saying "f*ck you" to those who didn't seem to want to support :/
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Keyaki wrote:And now he and the rest of Bandai lost interest, leaving //Link mired in Japan unable to get to the US, despite the campaign we had.
Uchiyama moved to another project before Link, but that didn't have anything to do with the lack of a U.S. release. The U.S. localization difficulties and the sub-par gameplay were both more a result of how long they wanted to make the game, and the 130+ characters they wanted to put in it. To make a G.U. quality game out of the script of Link, or to make a translation, would take much more than the budget allotted for previous projects. I certainly wouldn't blame Bandai Namco, which greenlighted the game and several sidestories.
Keyaki wrote:
Ironic since businesses need to take risks to take-off in the first place.
Nintendo went almost a century doing what it originally did - printing cards. It was only through nearly dying that they took the dramatic risk of doing something different, which was printing covers for arcade machines. Which, when you think about it wasn't all that different. Japanese businesses move slowly.
Keyaki wrote:Maybe, but again. Can't really blame him too much for being ambitious and saying "f*ck you" to those who didn't seem to want to support :/
I will say the market research people at Capcom should be fired if they didn't think Megaman would make money.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

I will say the market research people at Capcom should be fired if they didn't think Megaman would make money.
Everyone would agree with you. Capcom isn't really liked right now, in fact IIRC they're subject to a possible buy-out.
The U.S. localization difficulties and the sub-par gameplay were both more a result of how long they wanted to make the game, and the 130+ characters they wanted to put in it. To make a G.U. quality game out of the script of Link, or to make a translation, would take much more than the budget allotted for previous projects. I certainly wouldn't blame Bandai Namco, which greenlighted the game and several sidestories.
Well that was one difficultly that even I saw coming. Having every character in .Hack appear in //Link makes sense, story-wise but trying to snag back all of the voice actors from the time of //Sign to now probably would've been hell(except for maybe a few like, Johnny Young Bosch, Kate Higgins, etc)