Death Battle Topic #1 - Kite vs. Kirito (SAO)

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Acrylic_Shadow

Death Battle Topic #1 - Kite vs. Kirito (SAO)

Post by Acrylic_Shadow »

Two heroes, both from similar worlds, engaged in a battle to the death. Kite, the legendary protagonist of the original .hack games. Kirito, a legend in his own right from the anime MMO world of Sword Art Online. What do you think will happen if these two were pitted against each other in a fight to the death. Who would win? Who would perish? Discuss!

ImageImageImage
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: Death Battle Topic #1 - Kite vs. Kirito (SAO)

Post by TheSorrow »

Kite. Sword Art Online sucks and you should be ashamed to even compare it with .Hack D:
Oxidizer

Post by Oxidizer »

TheSorrow wrote:Kite. Sword Art Online sucks and you should be ashamed to even compare it with .Hack D:
This.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I was going to watch SAO but when I looked it up the first thing I saw was "god mode" and a description that sounded like the textbook definition of a Mary Sue.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

I've got an issue more with the idea of a fight like this happening. It's a lot like the fights with Naruto versus Goku and here's the basics:

1. Power System - The .hack game and SAO's first game are not similar enough to compare. In particular, the only reason player versus player happens within bounds during the R:1 universe is when you are player killing or fighting an abnormality. If you were comparing it to R:2, the only place where characters can legally fight each other is the Arena. R:1 lacks an arena at any point of media that I'm aware of.

Also, as far as I've heard, Kirito breaks the game by being able to dual wield. The twin blade class in .hack is legal and has certain stats along with spells that I'm sure aren't the same entirely as SAO's system. Therefore, the class systems alone would be a rather hard thing to handle and his stats aren't established enough to put him into the twin blade levels.

2. Reasons - I highly doubt Kite would have a reason to fight Kirito. There's no particular reason they'd have to fight and aren't even in the same world. If you wanted to compare Accel World, that'd be possible. Considering Accel World is in the same world and happened in the future.
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

Helbaworshipper wrote:2. Reasons - I highly doubt Kite would have a reason to fight Kirito. There's no particular reason they'd have to fight and aren't even in the same world. If you wanted to compare Accel World, that'd be possible. Considering Accel World is in the same world and happened in the future.
Hmm. Reason invented. Kirito decides to take a visit to VS The World. (That plus Kirito is an avid MMORPG jumper who fights against large corporations capable of trapping users within the game) Kirito is similar to 9. All in all though Kite would have the advantage because of Data Drain. If we're talk God modes give Kite his from Guilty Dragon. The crossover can occur with one of the two traveling to an alternate dimension. Kirito wouldas from his will to fight. That unless Data Drain erases him from the area.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

(Phantom) Thief wrote:
Helbaworshipper wrote:2. Reasons - I highly doubt Kite would have a reason to fight Kirito. There's no particular reason they'd have to fight and aren't even in the same world. If you wanted to compare Accel World, that'd be possible. Considering Accel World is in the same world and happened in the future.
Hmm. Reason invented. Kirito decides to take a visit to VS The World. (That plus Kirito is an avid MMORPG jumper who fights against large corporations capable of trapping users within the game) Kirito is similar to 9. All in all though Kite would have the advantage because of Data Drain. If we're talk God modes give Kite his from Guilty Dragon. The crossover can occur with one of the two traveling to an alternate dimension. Kirito wouldas from his will to fight. That unless Data Drain erases him from the area.
I'm talking Kite from R:1. Beyond R:2 is something I don't dab in much.
HKS_Nismo

Post by HKS_Nismo »

Kite would win. For one reason and one reason only. This:

Kirito is a hacker/cheater. He got his skills from hacking/cheating. I don't care if the game became real and lives were on the line. Kite was in a dire situation too, trying to stop a global network crisis, and he did it legitimately. Sure, his character was modified and the Twilight Bracelet was an illegal item that surpassed the system, but it wasn't Kite's choice of receiving it. He didn't CHOOSE to willingly use hacks for his own personal gain. Hell, he even resented having the Bracelet in his possession. On top of that, he defeated the last phase PLUS Morganna with nothing but his controller and will. Yes, he had help, but at least he didn't need hacks in the end to get the job done.

Perhaps Sword Art Online would of been better if the protagonist didn't have it easy, and had to start from the ground up like the REAL heroes/heroines in the .hack world.
Giegue

Post by Giegue »

There's so much Kirito hatred here. However, I doubt this is as black and white as it seems. Honestly I do believe that they could work together all awesome like. But this is a Death Battle!

Scenario 1. A "friendly" match. Blah blah blah "death match." At the end of the day they'll walk away. Unless they won't but that's not this scenario. Kirito would win should Kite choose not to use Data Drain, whoch considering Kite's opinion of the bracelet during R:1 is very likely. Cheater/Beater or not Kirito is an amazing gamer, with much more experience than Kite. Kirito faces cheaters regularly and defeats them through wit an cunning and the drive to never lose. Kite's ambitions are noble, but I don't believe Kite's resolve in his own abilities to be as unshakeable as Kirito's. Let's face it, Kite's a nice guy.

Scenario 2. In game PK. Kirito must for some reason defeat Kite, be if for his bracelet or what not. Kite is aware Kirito is after him, and his power to save Orca.Kite will use any and all means to defeat him and I believe Kite will use Data Drain if forced to. Kite will win this because Kirito's experiences against Cheating aren't even close to Data Drain's levels.

Scenario 3. The AIDA server. Not actually, but a scenario of similar effects. Kite and Kirito are forced.to battle and neither can lose. If so they lose their chance to save themselves. Kirito will be a pushing factor for Kite, but Kite's skills aren't to be reckoned with. Kite's own power might not be enough, so once again, Data Drain will win him the day. Although not without regret from Kite's side. Not that Kirito would never feel regret, but Kite's not so much of an ass wagon as Kirito is, pardon the language.

All in all, without Data Drain, Kirito wins, with Data Drain, Kite obviously wins. That's my two cents.
Furie

Post by Furie »

I think in an even match, no cheats at all, no data drain, Kite would win. It would be a close match, but I think Kite is simply more driven than Kirito is. Kirito has a really lazy personality- Kite is always doing something, and always seems to have a lot of energy.

If Kirito cheated in a friendly match, he would win. In a dire situation, Kite will always win.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I think a 1-on-1 matchup misses kind of the point that when Kite faced his final foe, he had created an army. He wasn't the best player (because he's not a Mary Sue), but he had the best player working for him. And the best cheater. And the system administrator. And Piros. He even had people in the server room. He had not only the ability to form strong alliances but also the strategy (and again, he had guys for that too) to mount a full-forced counterattack against an erratic and unpredictable foe to whom it would have been much more advantageous to fight him one-on-one. He instead dragged it into an unwinnable battle on his own terms against a dream team of his own creation. I think it would be fair to take that into account. Did Kirito face his final battle with this kind of plan or did he just get a lucky hit in?
.hack-fan7

Post by .hack-fan7 »

i'm gonna be a pain and say i have no idea considering i have no clue who kirito is, hah! though kite definitely looks cooler...
Giegue

Post by Giegue »

Furie wrote:I think in an even match, no cheats at all, no data drain, Kite would win. It would be a close match, but I think Kite is simply more driven than Kirito is. Kirito has a really lazy personality- Kite is always doing something, and always seems to have a lot of energy.

If Kirito cheated in a friendly match, he would win. In a dire situation, Kite will always win.
In a battle Kirito isn't lazy, he's pretty much a blood knight in battle conditions. Kite wasn't really a battle driven fellow. Kite had his doubts over the right thing to do. Kirito hardly has those doubts.
Furie

Post by Furie »

Giegue wrote: In a battle Kirito isn't lazy, he's pretty much a blood knight in battle conditions. Kite wasn't really a battle driven fellow. Kite had his doubts over the right thing to do. Kirito hardly has those doubts.
I think if the fight was for fun, Kirito wouldn't be as serious, and therefore wouldn't pull all the stops- I think he'd play it off rather easily if he lost as well, like "Oh, yeah, you're a great fighter, uh-huh whatever, I'm going to go get some of Asuna's cooking now" If Kite knew the fight was for fun, I think he'd give it his all (since there's no doubt whether the fight was a good thing- it was mutually agreed upon). That's more what I was trying to say.
Giegue

Post by Giegue »

I think Kirito would be serious, Kirito hates losing. He really does. Kite isn't the type to hate losing as I know him. Kite just can't lose the battles he has to win, but I feel like Kite would lose a battle for fun just so he could get back to real fun. I honestly never saw Kirito as lazy. He was just comfortable with the game world. He embraced it as his home and treated it as his life. I saw that as something that elevated his gamer status.
HKS_Nismo

Post by HKS_Nismo »

Considering this is a "Death Battle", pacifist reasoning is thrown out the window here, so despite Kite being a "nice guy" and such, he's placed in a situation where he's fighting to the death. Realistically speaking, Kite wouldn't harm a fly, but this is a DEATH BATTLE. Anything goes. The two foes are going at it with all their strength and abilities until one of them dies.
AxisLight

Post by AxisLight »

I would just like to clear up some of the Kirito hatred here, as a person who has seen the anime, and read some of the books.

Kirito has no god mode, he is just a normal player, effectively. He played in the beta of SAO, and got farther then everyone else because of his skill, and experience as an avid MMO gamer. His dual swords skill is NOT, I repeat, NOT A HACK.

Actually, hearing that kind of offends me. In the anime he himself states he does not know how he got it, until it is revealed later that dual swords is given to a player with the fastest reaction time out of all the players in SAO. He earned his power, he didn't get it by accident. "Some men are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them." (Forgive me for possibly butchering that quote.) I see kite has a character who had greatness thrust upon, and Kirito as a character who was born great, I mean for gods sake the guy built a PC out of spare parts when he was 8. but all terms he is a computer genius.

(Do not think Kirito is the only one who gets a special skill either. In the books, but not the anime, it states their are numerous special skills that can be unlocked by completing special conditions. In fact, Kiritos friend, Klein, even used one of these special skills, Katanas, which he got by working his ass off in the curved swords skill.)

(I'd also like to point out that Kirito keeping his stats in ALO from SAO is NOT HACKING EITHER. Later in the series they explain any game that uses the same engine will give you the ability to transfer your character data over from game to game. Since SAO and ALO both use the same engine, granted ALO's is a dumbed down version, Kiritos data was transferred over. ANY PLAYER who played SAO and then played ALO would have had the SAME THING HAPPEN.)

Actually, I identify with Kirito a lot, and for a lot of reasons. One being in the first episode instead of helping all the players who had never played before, he left and went ahead of everyone one else alone because mostly, he didn't want them to slow him down. He was afraid for his own life. In battle, no matter whether it is for fun or for real, he blacks out basically, he just goes insane and gives it his all, which is something I can't help but admit I do too. In a way, even though he was the "Hero Of SAO" he was still a coward at some point, but so am I.

But, I'm not here to tell you about how me and Kirito are the same. first of all, Kirito saved 6,000+ people from death. (They were in a coma, but if they died in game they would die IRL) While Kite MAYBE saved a few hundred people from a coma(Granted it's not a coma they would have awakened from either way).

Now, Kirito beat the creator of SAO, the "God" of the second game in the series, ALO. and numerous extremely powerful monsters alone. Kite however, defeated Cubia and the 8 Phases. Now, if you take away kites data drain, and the fact that infected monsters and the phases had to be data drained, then I'd say that puts him and Kirito on roughly the same level.

Now, let's look at magic, shall we? This actually gives kite an advantage, because in SAO there is no magic. (However, this is discluding the magic in ALO, because I'm assuming were talking about Kiritos character in SAO. However, if were talking about Kiritos ALO character he does use strong illusion magic, however this is not normally used for combat, though he does find a way at one part, which again, is completely within the limitations of the game.) Though again, Kite takes the prize in this area because SAO has no magic.

Now, lets talk player skill, shall we? When I first get into the first dot hack game, and take my first step into Mac Anu, I get the very strong feeling Kite is a somewhat, if not brand new player MMORPG's. This already gives Kirito an advantage because he frankly, more experienced, and there fore normally more skilled at the beginning of any game. So I think Kirito takes the gold here.

Now how about stats? Kirito has said straight up he does NOT train his STR stat much, and more uses his DEX for speed. And Twin Blades are notorious, at least in the original four, for having very balanced melee and magical abilities, correct? Well, in an all out battle i think that would mean it would be a battle of Kiritos speed, against Kites magic.

However, in the end I think Kirito would take the lead because He's faster, and more skilled.

However, it you want to put it into terms of one specific game, not pitting their individual character against each other, imagine if in the world their was a Dual Swords user who had an EXTREMELY high EVA skill, and was almost impossible to hit with melee, even skills. That would be pretty much Kirito. However, playing in the world would limit Kirito to much simply because part of his greatness is his ability of free movement in SAO, not being confined to special attack animation(To all who don't know, SAO is a game which uses a neural helmet you cut off your brains transmissions to your body, and send them to your in game character, and at the same time, the game sends your body visual, and physical stimulation equivalent to what you would feel in the game world.).

However, if the fight were to take place in SAO kite would be far to limited because he would not have his magic skills, making him about half as effective.

So, to recap,
KIRITO IS NOT A CHEATER AND WHOEVER SAYS THAT IS UNEDUCATED AND DOESN'T DESERVE LIFE.
If playing the world, Kite would probably win.
If playing in SAO, Kirito would probably win.
If playing with their individual characters and skills sets, it would be a pretty even match.
If playing in ALO, well, that's an entire other story considering you can FLY in the one.

HKS_Nismo you can go F your self with that Kirito is a cheater stuff.
Giegue

Post by Giegue »

Axis, it's not nice to attack other people based on their beliefs. Not shadow modding, just trying to keep the peace.

Also, I'm glad you've actually gone indepth on the series, because, realistically, Kirito isn't a cheater, and the only reason he had it easy was because he was awesome.

On a side note, I believe we're comparing R:1 Kite to SAO Kirito. Also, I believe Kirito would be able to adapt to Kite's magic, due to his adept game playing experience.
AxisLight

Post by AxisLight »

Ye, I just get irritated when someone who clearly hasn't even watched the anime says something like that, it's my favorite anime.

I agree, i think Kirito would win this one, though I think Kirito for Haseo would be more evenly matched, if he didst use his avatar.
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

Putting aside the fact that the only reason why SAO is considered any good is because Kirito is literally just a viewer proxy character who simply exists for the target viewer to project themselves into his place, we're pitting the wrong characters against each other.

(Yes I've watched the anime and read some of the books as well. It's basic cliche shonen at best and the fact that it was written by an amateur author in the early 2000's is painfully apparent.)

Kite is a person controlling a character via a controller.
Kirito is essentially "part" of the game and controls his actions as he would in reality.

Comparing them is silly. Also bringing in the "who saved who" or "who did what" arguments are irrelevant in a simple fight.

Who you need to be pitting against Kirito is Tokio.

Tokio is trapped in The World and has to use his own skills as Kirito does in SAO.
So
Kirito vs Tokio is really the most logical fight. And really as long as Kirito's plot armor didn't come in to save his ass like it always did in the anime, I'd have to say that it would be an even match.