pokemon mmo why not dot hack mmo

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

hojou

pokemon mmo why not dot hack mmo

Post by hojou »

A lot of off topic, has anyone played the pokemon mmo? Whats so nice about it is it just runs off of a client and the rom itself. Wouldn't that be nice if you was able to run the .hack roms like that , infection and what not. At last its only a dream.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Re: pokemon mmo why not dot hack mmo

Post by Erranty »

Wait, there's a pokemon MMO?!
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Erranty wrote:Wait, there's a pokemon MMO?!
Yeah, it's called Pokémon Online i think, from what i heard, you use the emulator's ROM to play it.... Altough!
hojou wrote:Wouldn't that be nice if you was able to run the .hack roms like that , infection and what not. At last its only a dream.
I heard from a friend that he played .Hack online.... I don't really beleive him tough, he said he was lvl3 and that lvling was too hard... I don't think its real tough.... i have to see it... When i see it, i'll show it to you...
hojou

Post by hojou »

Well I heard of the dot hack mmo but it looks okay, it glitchy and the client didnt work properly. If someone did the same thing as the pokemon one (use a rom as a starting point and then make a client and run on a server ) that would be something.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

The issue would be choosing which type of ROM/ISO to use as the basis of it. Fragment? IMOQ? GU? The only one to use is Fragment because the battle system is built for online play and the others have a lot of pausing when going through item menus.
Haseo_Dude

Post by Haseo_Dude »

Erranty wrote:Wait, there's a pokemon MMO?!

Well, I just found out too. Can anyone help me get into a server? It says it needs a special code to get inside. I'm lost I need help. O.O
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

AZURE-KITE wrote:I heard from a friend that he played .Hack online.... I don't really beleive him tough, he said he was lvl3 and that lvling was too hard... I don't think its real tough.... i have to see it... When i see it, i'll show it to you...
That sounds like Fragment. It is essentially the same game as the original series but the experience system is just brutal, you get 1 exp for enemies at your level and have to fight enemies that are at least 10 levels higher than you are to get any significant experience points.
Coldbird

Post by Coldbird »

I love systems that use ROM archives to feed their own engines.
In fact, this practice has been around forever, even on PS1.

Someone remembers Chrono Trigger there?
It actually had a copy of the SNES ROM in it's ISO from which it read data like sprite graphics, etc.

Those engines usually only feed on graphic and sound data however, not the actual game code...
So it shouldn't really matter whether you use Quarantine or Fragment as a base for a R1 MMO engine, it is after all only a graphic / sound reader.

Same would work for GU too of course, the only requirement is to have a working implementation of a filesystem driver to actually read the data out of the game archives.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

That's a cool idea, but building up a new 3d game engine sounds a lot harder than a sprite-based game engine...
Kazetrigger

Post by Kazetrigger »

[ no linking ]

Iridium Based is making an MMO based on the .hack universe, but it can't be played right now and it needs more funding.
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

Why does everyone want a .hack MMO to be based off of R:1? Aim for FORCE:ERA or R:X at least...they seem more like actual MMOs anyway.
Haseo_Dude

Post by Haseo_Dude »

Isn't the events of Quantum based off of the World R:X kinda the same as R:1?
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

Haseo_Dude wrote:Isn't the events of Quantum based off of the World R:X kinda the same as R:1?
I'm speaking from a purely mechanical point of view. The mechanics presented in R:X seem to fit more with a modern day MMO than the mechanics presented in R:1. FORCE:ERA has it down much better though.
The events that take place in the series are irrelevant when discussing a real MMO since they're pretty much impossible. (at least I hope I can't get trapped in an MMO, my character looks nothing like me)
God Ginrai

Post by God Ginrai »

Bullet Biter wrote:
Haseo_Dude wrote:Isn't the events of Quantum based off of the World R:X kinda the same as R:1?
I'm speaking from a purely mechanical point of view. The mechanics presented in R:X seem to fit more with a modern day MMO than the mechanics presented in R:1. FORCE:ERA has it down much better though.
The events that take place in the series are irrelevant when discussing a real MMO since they're pretty much impossible. (at least I hope I can't get trapped in an MMO, my character looks nothing like me)
But isn't the reason we want a .hack// MMO because it is different from other MMOs?

I honestly hate most MMOs nowadays. Little reason to work together, doesn't get "fun" until the endgame, kill X number of Y enemy to collect Z number of monster drops, click, click, click, grind, grind, grind.

I would much rather a .hack// MMO be a mixture of the cool things that .hack// did that MMOs didn't. Equipment-based abilities, a system that actually works well w/ a controller, etc.

-God Ginrai
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

God Ginrai wrote:
Bullet Biter wrote:
But isn't the reason we want a .hack// MMO because it is different from other MMOs?

I honestly hate most MMOs nowadays. Little reason to work together, doesn't get "fun" until the endgame, kill X number of Y enemy to collect Z number of monster drops, click, click, click, grind, grind, grind.

I would much rather a .hack// MMO be a mixture of the cool things that .hack// did that MMOs didn't. Equipment-based abilities, a system that actually works well w/ a controller, etc.

-God Ginrai
If you want an MMO you still need it to be functional and appealing. R:1's systems would drive people away because it's too limited. R:2 is pretty much the same, it's not "free" enough. R:X and Force:ERA have the right amount of content to sustain an actual MMO while still having original content.

Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV all work fine with controllers. There are other MMOs that work very well with controllers as well so that wouldn't be anything special to tote around.
Equipment based abilities are trash unless they're solely "extra" abilities. Having your skills linked to a specific piece of equipment is a poor system and would just piss people off.

When you really get down to it the only 'new' thing a .hack MMO would bring to the table would be instanced areas (which are hit or miss, personally I can't stand instanced dungeons), unique plot line, and that's about it. There's nothing special about The World as an MMO once you take away the storyline and conflict.
God Ginrai

Post by God Ginrai »

Bullet Biter wrote: If you want an MMO you still need it to be functional and appealing. R:1's systems would drive people away because it's too limited. R:2 is pretty much the same, it's not "free" enough. R:X and Force:ERA have the right amount of content to sustain an actual MMO while still having original content.
I haven't played //Link yet, so I can't comment on the system in that game. I was merely pointing out that something too similar to today's MMOs would suck. Also, I wasn't suggesting we lift the system of one of the games and just use it, but that a good .hack// system would use features of the various systems it introduced that were good.
Bullet Biter wrote: Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV all work fine with controllers. There are other MMOs that work very well with controllers as well so that wouldn't be anything special to tote around.
There aren't really that many, honestly. FF did, but the FF MMOs are pretty much the exception. Most MMOs do not support controllers. (Most that do are in the 2D MMO genre, like MapleStory.
Bullet Biter wrote: Equipment based abilities are trash unless they're solely "extra" abilities. Having your skills linked to a specific piece of equipment is a poor system and would just piss people off.
While there are benefits to having on-character skills, especially for basic abilities like Repth, an equipment-based ability system is a much more engaging system when done right. You always had to think about what items would be useful to bring with you so you could switch them in battle to get different stats and abilities. I always carried around my Sora's blades to get Death, then switched to a stronger blade to finish the fight, or Blades of Bond if I was going to need to cast magic. There's a lot of depth in needing to swith items mid-battle. And outside of battle, I would switch to Speed Shoes and Golden Shoes to cast Ap Do, Rig Saem, and Rig Geam. The equipment-based ability system was my favorite system from IMOQ.

The only way you could call this system trash is if you don't like planning or challenge.

In the case of an MMO, however, you would not have the luxury of a pause screen where you could take your time switching your items, so a system would need to be in place that you could set certain equipment to be hot-swappable in some manner so that you can press some combination to switch your equipment in the midst of battle without pausing.
Bullet Biter wrote: When you really get down to it the only 'new' thing a .hack MMO would bring to the table would be instanced areas (which are hit or miss, personally I can't stand instanced dungeons), unique plot line, and that's about it. There's nothing special about The World as an MMO once you take away the storyline and conflict.
Actually, that's not true. A lot of Korean MMOs have instanced areas, it's not really that unique. And while I agree that the storyline is the best part of .hack//, there were parts of the game systems that made playing those games much more enjoyable than MMOs. (And then there were parts that made me think the opposite, like Virus core hunting :P)

-God Ginrai