So what is the closest MMORPG that comes close to .hack?

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

AnubisGem

Re: So what is the closest MMORPG that comes close to .hack?

Post by AnubisGem »

^Makes me squee.

Ah!
I just recently bought White Knight Chronicles. I see what you mean about the fight scenes. xD
I'm not too far into it though, I just made a character. But!! I'm really excited about it. :D
Rhapsody

Post by Rhapsody »

I played thousands of hours on Phantasy Star Online/Universe and Monster Hunter games. They've been the closest example of what an online .hack experience would be like. What is White Knight Chronicles all about? Can you make a custom character for online play? Are people still playing this?
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

WKC is one of those RPG's that focus a lot into customization and you're character can be used in the main story and online although he/she doesnt play much of a big role in the story, I would recommend saving you're money for WKC 2 since it has both 1 and 2 included, the story is the usual band of heroes goes to save the princess and are armed with pseudo mecha suits of armor called knights.
Rhapsody

Post by Rhapsody »

Sounds interesting. I think its around $20 now. Maybe I'll pick it up if I can find people to play with. Can people chat with a keyboard/voice on it?
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Add me on PSN then I'm reneid4, oh and you can import stuff from 1 into 2 but I sold my first one but kept the saved data for future use.
EDIT: I think you can use a keyboard or just type it like in phantasy star portable 2.
DarkBoySabata

Post by DarkBoySabata »

Hmmm Well the only two games that is quite close to .hack games I had to say:

The World R:1- WKC
The World R:X(portable): Phantasy Star Portable

But What about Ragnarök Online? Its similar to .hack right?
Rhapsody

Post by Rhapsody »

Phantasy Star Portable...I did not attempt the first one, but Portable 2 was not enjoyable to me at all.I like being able to type to people on my PSO/PSU games. The only option was to stop and use the in game keyboard and peck out messages. Usually people would only take the time to peck in a message if they wanted to ask me to be their gf. Strange folks on there.
DarkBoySabata

Post by DarkBoySabata »

I hear that, Wut about the new version PSO2?
Rhapsody

Post by Rhapsody »

I'm hoping they unveil PSO2 at E3 this year. Its been in the works for a while now. I wonder if it's going strickly MMORPG or just sticking to its online/offline roots.
poet of time

Post by poet of time »

phantasy star univerese oh and from what i heard PSO2 is going to be japan only
reyke

Post by reyke »

poet of time wrote:phantasy star univerese oh and from what i heard PSO2 is going to be japan only
I heard that as well I also heard even infinity was going to be japan only but as they say time will tell.
CaptainZETTA

Post by CaptainZETTA »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mabinogi. While classless, it puts a MAJOR emphasis on customization, and a fairly non-standard combat system. Some of the later storylines are pretty good too. Hell, it's even based around Celtic mythology, like much of the fluff on The World.
8HaseoTerrorofDeath8

Post by 8HaseoTerrorofDeath8 »

Hey everyone I'm new to these forums and I'd like to make my first post here. I know of a lot of games that are really close to .Hack as I have been obsessing over a want for a GU Version of this game to be made for real Online play. Heres my list.

1. Aion: The Tower of Eternity. Why? I disagree with the other guy saying it's not. I've played this game for almost 2 years and the character customization and game basics is REALLY neat. Graphics are gorgeous and adds a feeling of Dot Hack to it when you World PVP.

2. Phantasy Star Universe/Phantasy Star Online 2

3. Guild Wars 2

4. Blade & Soul

5. LAST Online
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

I'd say PSU is the MMO most like .hack//G.U. combat wise, but doesn't really have the dungeons we all loved the game so much for.
reyke

Post by reyke »

I would say Phantasy star portable infinity is very close but since its in jp I no some people may not like that. I mostly recommend it since you can invite your own characters to party with you. And people online can even give you their cards and you can party with them offline.
Vorbei

Post by Vorbei »

Huaahh.. I didn't think this thread would be so heavy on the Phantasy Star. I'm glad~

Rumors of PSO2 being exclusive to Japan and those of it definitely getting a worldwide release are all just rumors. Nothing is decided yet. Sega's gone out of their way to post updates on the facebook account in English as well as Japanese, so they're at least making an effort.
They expressed that they really wanted a worldwide release with PSO2, but whether they'll get it is another story entirely. The game is still in the testing period, so it's not quite in LINK territory yet.
Either way, prepare for PC ONRY. (Not that that can't change somewhere down the line, it's just unlikely.)

I've been playing since GC and was unlucky enough to choose the PC/PS2 servers for PSU, so I've had the door shut in my face plenty by SoA. >_< But you know us Sega fans, masochists 'till the end. So bring it on~

If it does get a US release, I hope to see a lot of people from these forums around!
ComfortablyNumb

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

I too was inspired to play MMOs after reading the .hack series. Guild Wars was okay, but I got bored because no one actually talked to one another. I did love the customization, though. Right now, I'm back to Flyff. I'm still amazed that no one else likes to wander the map, there's never anyone else on the edge of the continent or in the mountains.

Phantasy Star wise, I still need to finish Portable 2. And finish as many of the extra quests on 0 as I can.
VplayerX

MMORPG's like dot hack?? :o

Post by VplayerX »

Does anyone out there play MMOs? If so have you played any that reminded you a bit of dot hack? Right now I'm back and forth between Dragon Nest and Mabinogi (neither is like dot hack btw lol)
hidora

Re: MMORPG's like dot hack?? :o

Post by hidora »

EDIT: because that other topic where I posted this got moved here.
Last edited by hidora on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.