So what is the closest MMORPG that comes close to .hack?

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

VplayerX

Re: MMORPG's like dot hack?? :o

Post by VplayerX »

Oh sorry, just joined site yesterday
Shotgun Steve

Re: So what is the closest MMORPG that comes close to .hack?

Post by Shotgun Steve »

For some reason, DragonNest has some kind of "basic and fun" battle game play that reminds me of .hack//G.U.
Bedlight

Post by Bedlight »

I'm really surprised people mentioned Mabinogi, I've been playing for a couple years now and it's absolutely nothing like dot hack except maybe it's celtic roots. Other than that, yeah it's about as far as it gets. Don't let anyone tell you either Aion, GW2, WoW or Perfect world are like .hack, I've played them all and they're nothing like .hack at all pretty much as far from it as possible the only thing they all have is an expansive world.

I'm also surprised no one mentioned Fiesta. The game play may be a bit different, but the style of the game reminds me a lot of Twilight bracelet. Heard a lot of PSO2 talk anc decided to check it out, not sure about gameplay but man, the characters look exactly like G.U. Like, if The World ever went New Age and slightly Mecha (which judging by the progression of the games IE R1 of the world to R2 with the integration of steam technology it may well be in R3 if that's ever released.) It would be PSO2.

It would be easy for an mmo to go for the feel that dot hack has, however any originality in MMOs is quickly wiped away by players griping. For example, Final Fantasy XIV released as one of the most unique and best played MMOs of all time in my opinion (And plenty others). However, people would whine and cry non-stop because it wasn't like Final Fantasy XI or WoW. Now, they just tore apart the game and are releasing basically a brand new game called Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn which is currently in Beta testing. I am a Beta tester and while I can't show streams or screen shots due to an NDA agreement, I can say that they basically turned it into FFXI, WoW and GW2 all rolled into one. It has become the most mainstream MMO I've ever had the displeasure of playing. Not trying to sound "Hipster" or anything, I just really fell in love with this game because of it's originality and the smoothness of everything. It's so choppy now, like they literally just took everything from the most popular MMOs and painted FFXIV over the top.

The only way we'd get an MMO with similar game play and feel to it would be a Free to Play MMO that wouldn't have to bend over to please bitchy kids. (And most likely a dot hack inspired production most likely by a fan).
To truly create a dot hack like experience and environment would require quite a large budget which could only come with a Pay to Play scenario in which case you can kiss the game play and basically anything else that isn't like a mainstream MMO (everything) goodbye.

TLDR; Fiesta's style reminds me of twilight bracelet (Chibi dot hack). Anyone who says Mabinogi is like dot hack is a filthy liar. PWI, GW2, WoW and Aion are nothing like dot hack. FFXIV:ARR is an utter failure but graphically is the king of MMORPGs. A dot hack like MMO will never come into existence in my opinion (As sad as that is).
VIZGIX

Post by VIZGIX »

Terra Has a heavy blade like class :3 the posture looks just like Mimiru/Black Rose with her bigass sword

http://www.healeratheart.com/wp-content ... 234615.png
Bedlight

Post by Bedlight »

VIZGIX wrote:Terra Has a heavy blade like class :3 the posture looks just like Mimiru/Black Rose with her bigass sword

http://www.healeratheart.com/wp-content ... 234615.png
Well if it's just a look alike you're after, Cloud Nine has a character that reminds me of Rena soo much. But She is a cat chick, which Rena is not. So sad.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p199 ... da1c8f.jpg
.hack-fan7

Post by .hack-fan7 »

i haven't been doing the whole mmorpg thing for a while although FF XIV - 2 looks interesting.
considering how much the first one bombed i hope they fix it up, it definitely has a lot of potential.
if it looks good i may give it a go.
Bedlight

Post by Bedlight »

.hack-fan7 wrote:i haven't been doing the whole mmorpg thing for a while although FF XIV - 2 looks interesting.
considering how much the first one bombed i hope they fix it up, it definitely has a lot of potential.
if it looks good i may give it a go.
Have you even attempted the first one?

If you have and you honestly didn't like it, then chances are you'll love ARR and If I were you, I'd give it a shot.

If you have not tried the first one, then you should keep your mouth shut about things you know nothing about. That kind of attitude is why they trashed FFXIV in the first place. A handful of butthurt FFXI players gave it a bad rep for not being a clone of XI and all of a sudden the entire gaming world had hung a noose around XIV's neck. Why? Because they actually played it? No. Because they jumped on the bandwagon like everyone else out there. I've been with XIV since the very beginning and I will admit, it wasn't perfect upon release they had issues. Small issues. Nothing they needed to scrap the entire project over. Things like targetting, lack of content, no mounts etc. Which they had fixed by the last patch "End of an Era".

Not griping at you, I'm griping at the people who **** about the game without even trying it just because they heard bad things. If you're not one of those people, whatever. Enjoy ARR I'm sure it's got what you like. If you are, well you know where you stand with that.
ZarenKyra

Post by ZarenKyra »

well here IS an actual dot hack mmo:
[LINK DELETED - it's against the rules to advertise sites like those]