So what is the closest MMORPG that comes close to .hack?

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

CirilloPrimo

Re: So what is the closest MMORPG that comes close to .hack?

Post by CirilloPrimo »

I'm lovin me some phantasy star portable 2 now :tonqe:
Been playing the demo can't wait for september!
I have the DS one but I don't like it that much cause of graphics difference.
Manalink

Post by Manalink »

ok so it was nothing like it. lol . So Question.!? Is every phantasy star game online only? or can u play off line? or am i thinking about another game with a name similar...? or something something...IDK
CirilloPrimo

Post by CirilloPrimo »

Manalink wrote:ok so it was nothing like it. lol . So Question.!? Is every phantasy star game online only? or can u play off line? or am i thinking about another game with a name similar...? or something something...IDK
Story mode isn't online only, It just means if you wanna do any other modes besides story you'll need an internet connection.
Back on topic, how about monster hunter? I mean it's not the closest MMORPG to .hack
but it does have some features, of course i'm not an avid fan like my friend but I do play once in a blue moon lol
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Tolby wrote:
Kuukai wrote:Lots of us like White Knight Chronicles because it's kinda like that, but it's not a "massive" morpg. And I've wait for the second one, because it contains the first one, but has larger parties...
Does your character carry over? I pretty much abandon my character, but would like to continue to work on him if he transfers over. If they've talked about that yet.
Yeah, they carry over.
Drops

Post by Drops »

I'm playing Final Fantasy XIV at the moment. While it's not very .hackish it for some reason has the same feel for me. When I play it I feel like I'm exploring and adventuring, but maybe that's just the new MMO smell clogging my brain.
Scheath666

Post by Scheath666 »

Kuukai wrote:
Tolby wrote:
Kuukai wrote:Lots of us like White Knight Chronicles because it's kinda like that, but it's not a "massive" morpg. And I've wait for the second one, because it contains the first one, but has larger parties...
Does your character carry over? I pretty much abandon my character, but would like to continue to work on him if he transfers over. If they've talked about that yet.
Yeah, they carry over.

well I'm also WKC fan despite it not massive in online play but the game can keep you going with more chars or max lvling or so. and phantasy star portable 2 is much better than the first and i'm relieve of the PP issue. I'm hoping it make the 3rd game of it. and I'm glad that the online is free!. for the PS2 one you had to pay!.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

I also have WKC but I cant play online due to having to make a fictitious address in the U.S I almost made one until it had to ask me about my adress, **** me.>:(
Reapus

Post by Reapus »

From what I've seen I would have to say AION. I've never actually played it but I watched trailers of it before it was released and it looked the closest to .hack for me. I could be wrong and the only person who could correct me on that is someone who has actually played it. I wish I could have bought and played it but I don't like monthly fee's so I stay away from MMO's... not to mention they'll keep you indoors and turn you into a no-lifer.
Drops

Post by Drops »

Sadly it's nowhere close to like .hack, I played Aion for quite a bit.
reyke

Post by reyke »

Phantasy Star Portable 2 is kinda close to it but more so the classic PSO ep 1&2 or blue burst in my opinion were very good to compare .hack to.
Azure Flame Knight

Post by Azure Flame Knight »

I'd say that "Perfect World" MMO comes pretty close. Haven't played yet but I've watched videos.
Trinian

Post by Trinian »

I don't think there are many that come particularly close to The World, which is sad because .hack is what inspired me to try online gaming in the first place. :[

There are quite a few with similar graphics but usually aren't too good with gameplay quality. D: Occasionally you can find one with involved gameplay and .hack-ish graphics though, but I usually get turned off at some point along the way. :[

For sheer massiveness I'd say WoW, it's really nothing like The World in graphics, and gameplay but it has the tens-of-millions playerbase and world-wide fame as being THE mmo.
CrestAkray

Post by CrestAkray »

Weeell...i'd have to Mabinogi is the closest. While it doesn't have the .hackk feel to it, it allows MAJOR customization of your class, character, fighting style, etc. From the description given by many .hack anime, manga, and novels, you can customize armor & weapons (sometimes), learn a vast amount of spells, have a large variety of weapons & armor, etc etc. So im going with Mabinogi, since you can do all that, and more.
AnubisGem

Post by AnubisGem »

Oohh, excellent thread! I can't wait to try some of these!
I'm really itching to play a fun MMORPG that's similar to The World. (:
I started playing .Hack//Infection, and I have to say... it's a really great game, but it gets kind of lonely. );

I took up Luna Online as a rebound. <.< But it doesn't come close to The World. It just has extremely cute avatars. xD
I might try: Guild Wars, White Knight Chronicles, or Fantasy Earth Zero~
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

I might try demon's souls if I were you, its from namco bandai and it doesnt take too long to attack unlike WKC.
hidora

Post by hidora »

Kaori wrote:I might try demon's souls if I were you, its from namco bandai and it doesnt take too long to attack unlike WKC.
It doesn't take too long to get your ass kicked too, from what I've heard about that game lol
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

hidora wrote:
Kaori wrote:I might try demon's souls if I were you, its from namco bandai and it doesnt take too long to attack unlike WKC.
It doesn't take too long to get your ass kicked too, from what I've heard about that game lol
LOL so true, it may be hard as hell BUT the rewards of finishing it are SO satisfying, but if you dont like dying multiple times like crash bandicoot then maybe you should try WKC then.
hidora

Post by hidora »

Kaori wrote:
hidora wrote:
LOL so true, it may be hard as hell BUT the rewards of finishing it are SO satisfying, but if you dont like dying multiple times like crash bandicoot then maybe you should try WKC then.
Well, it's actually fun to die in crash bandicoot. I don't think it's any fun to die in a game like that xD
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

hidora wrote:
Kaori wrote:
hidora wrote:
Well, it's actually fun to die in crash bandicoot. I don't think it's any fun to die in a game like that xD
unless you're a masochist of course XD, but it's still a great game to play with others(provided that you dont get PK'ed).
kyat

Post by kyat »

Well, this isn't actually an mmorpg, but it is visual like one and a chatsite

http://www.kyat.us

you'll have to open it in an IExplore browser.
Kyat is a chatsite reborn from .hack//chat advertised throughout the manga. .hack//chat was a chatsite based off of all the .hack games, appart from all the battles and whatnot.
Basically it's a chatsite where you can create avatars and chat about .hack. The visual side of it tho is quite well done.