Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Greyoutt
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Greyoutt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Bandai has to be the one to commission the compilations anyways right? So I'm not sure if it would require CC2 to be as big as SE at all.

User avatar
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet
Posts: 5275
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:02 am

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Kuukai » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:14 pm

But Bandai Namco doesn't really splurge on budgets.

Lindz
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Lindz » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:58 pm

Airon wrote:Honestly each season has basically stood alone in the sense that you didn't need to play older seasons to understand the new stuff.

G.U. did, not so much Link. Basically everything after R:2 is built off of R:2. Art style, gameplay, features, monsters, classes, etc. Very little from R:1 has made the continued leaps through time. Plus I dun see how anyone can really be "behind" on IMOQ at this point. There was the recently re-novelization of it, which yea Bamco should have been translating in the buildup to Last Recode, but even without that everyone that got LR has access to the Terminal Disc which leaves very little in terms of story for people to be behind on.

Falions wrote:Also, Lindz, what didn't you like about Yakuza 0? As someone who played 1-5 before 0 came out, I thought it was a grand time. I mean, it basically revived Yakuza in the west, so it was doing something right.

I played 1-4 more or less as they were coming out (working on 6) an saw how more padded out they became just to get to the end of the game. 1's nice lil 15 hour game an 2 not much longer than that. 3 was a noticeable jump in length an 4 even more so. I still greatly enjoy those games (sans Saejima) but they were pushing the limit of how long punch punch kicking dudes and replaying old mini-games could remain fun. 0 ignored said limit an took me 50 hours just to get through. Majima? Never did, never will care about him. Shoulda made his side of the story optional! Gating powerups behind lengthy wait-to-play mini-games was another huge turnoff. I also didn't like the "Styles" system. Kiryu felt like crap to play in that (and later Kiwami). To unlock his good fighting style ya gotta sit through tons and tons of padding which is never cool! Also the way style tutors and club/land buying junk was introduced was super sloppy and broke the pace of the main story by intruding upon story scenes. An did I mention I dun like prequels? The story/characters did nothing for me cause they all meant nothing having played most of the rest of the series. Except pocket car guy, apparently... or maybe not cause 6 makes it seem as if he and Kiryu hadn't seen each other since 0 when whoops, they did in Kiwami! >_>;;;

Basically the story is filler an the game is filled to the brim with nigh-unavoidable filler!

User avatar
Keyaki
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Delta: Setting Eternity's Night Moon

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Keyaki » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:39 am

There was the recently re-novelization of it, which yea Bamco should have been translating in the buildup to Last Recode


*Psh* They've should done a lot things related to .hack// but I'm not gonna go there.

But Bandai Namco doesn't really splurge on budgets.


Ain't that the truth~

User avatar
Airon
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Airon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:54 am

Lindz wrote:
Airon wrote:Honestly each season has basically stood alone in the sense that you didn't need to play older seasons to understand the new stuff.

G.U. did, not so much Link.


I'd argue Link's the most stand alone, to a fault. Since you re-experience the past stories, everything basically composes itself from start to end. It's more story than game, but the story goes to some great pains to try and hit on everything dothack up until 2020. I do agree though that aesthetics and style has stuck to the steampunk R:2 era format. I think it was done to keep the series more modern and accessible and I don't mind that decision. Admittedly, The World R:1 feels like early everquest or FFXI and that's pretty dated. R:2 could still hold up to something like FFXIV or Guild Wars 2 or TERA aesthetically.

Alternatively, instead of a game remake, I could see them make IMOQ just straight up an anime series. Clean up the side filler and release 3 or 4 OVA that covers the plot in like 2 hours. We technically already have a novelization of it, Another Birth. In the end, light novels aren't going to convince a western audience to delve into a series. They're more niche than manga. I do still reallly wanna read the new series and get to know Kite as an actual person.

But Bandai Namco doesn't really splurge on budgets.

Especially not on JRPGS, they're so picky with those.

User avatar
Falions
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Falions » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Airon wrote:
Alternatively, instead of a game remake, I could see them make IMOQ just straight up an anime series. Clean up the side filler and release 3 or 4 OVA that covers the plot in like 2 hours. We technically already have a novelization of it, Another Birth. In the end, light novels aren't going to convince a western audience to delve into a series. They're more niche than manga. I do still reallly wanna read the new series and get to know Kite as an actual person.



I mean... G.U. had the games, G.U.+, the novels, and Trilogy, so if IMOQ got the anime treatment they'd be pretty on par, with an additional novel series to boot.

I just want a new .hack title that concludes this damn thing already. I'm so tired.

User avatar
Airon
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Airon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:27 am

Falions wrote:I just want a new .hack title that concludes this damn thing already. I'm so tired.


This actually makes me wonder what their end game is going to be. The last two (3 if you count Last Recode) dothack games didn't seem to move towards a conclusion, they just added stuff. Maybe they don't have a finale planned, and it's just a continuous story of humanity, technology and AI.

User avatar
Falions
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Falions » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:43 pm

Airon wrote:
Falions wrote:I just want a new .hack title that concludes this damn thing already. I'm so tired.


This actually makes me wonder what their end game is going to be. The last two (3 if you count Last Recode) dothack games didn't seem to move towards a conclusion, they just added stuff. Maybe they don't have a finale planned, and it's just a continuous story of humanity, technology and AI.

There was an interview as recently as November last year where Matsuyama said they had an ending in mind. Back in the day too he said the .hack timeline ends in 2025. They were definitely building up to a climax with mama as the final antagonists, but it was just the issue of sales and funding that stopped it.

User avatar
Falions
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Falions » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:37 pm

There was a recent Steam leak that revealed the total sales numbers of every title on the platform. Last Recode clocked in at 38872. Coupled with the 60k physical in Japan, digital PSN, and international physical sales, isn't it safe to assume it broke maybe even 150K? Perhaps 200K? What is a successful sales number to Bandai Namco? I feel like their Digimon games don't sell much yet they just announced a new one even though Next Order was hot garbage.

User avatar
Airon
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Airon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:21 am

Falions wrote:
Airon wrote:
Falions wrote:I just want a new .hack title that concludes this damn thing already. I'm so tired.


This actually makes me wonder what their end game is going to be. The last two (3 if you count Last Recode) dothack games didn't seem to move towards a conclusion, they just added stuff. Maybe they don't have a finale planned, and it's just a continuous story of humanity, technology and AI.

There was an interview as recently as November last year where Matsuyama said they had an ending in mind. Back in the day too he said the .hack timeline ends in 2025. They were definitely building up to a climax with mama as the final antagonists, but it was just the issue of sales and funding that stopped it.


I'd be curious what a game with mama as the antagonist would play out like. Would they be players with R:X? Seems weird to think of corporate masterminds as also playing within the world to be fought like badguys. Sakaki was kind of like that but still not quite. I guess more like when Lios was trying to delete kite but that was very passive. Perhaps it won't be a game that ends the series after all.

The sale numbers were almost certainly enough to push for some kind of follow-up, easily passing 100k sales and I can totally see 200k worldwide. I honestly think that they haven't announced a sequel because they don't know how to make it. IMOQ is dated as heck, G.U.'s style is pretty dated too, LiNKs style was bad even in it's time but the hardware certainly hampered it.The games that have followed have been mobile games. Feels like they don't know how to do a new .hack game that's up to modern console standards. I'm curious what their FF7 remake would have played like and if it could at all be used for a new .hack.

User avatar
Falions
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Falions » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Airon wrote:
The sale numbers were almost certainly enough to push for some kind of follow-up, easily passing 100k sales and I can totally see 200k worldwide. I honestly think that they haven't announced a sequel because they don't know how to make it. IMOQ is dated as heck, G.U.'s style is pretty dated too, LiNKs style was bad even in it's time but the hardware certainly hampered it.The games that have followed have been mobile games. Feels like they don't know how to do a new .hack game that's up to modern console standards. I'm curious what their FF7 remake would have played like and if it could at all be used for a new .hack.

Haha, I really doubt mama would be playing The World as users. Honestly, so much real life storytelling would be required to solve mama that I've always thought another feature film would be the only way to end .hack. Or we could do a third person shooter with Ryuuji :lol:

As for what's immediately next, my money is on a total remake of Link. If they're going to make a game in the third season while keeping new fans up to speed, that's the only way to go. Maybe like the way they're doing TWEWY by adding a large additional scenario to somehow shoehorn Versus' plot in there/make 19-year-old Tokio's goal clearer in the latter half of the third series. The problem really is just that too much time has passed and it's hard to make something that's not just for the handful of people on this board.

User avatar
Keyaki
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Delta: Setting Eternity's Night Moon

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Keyaki » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:02 pm

A remake of //Link would be a challenge, given //Link's reputation (which really should've been abated by now). Not only that but, like what Kuukai said a few years back, it wasn't just the gameplay and the manga like visuals and productions values that caused //Link to sink, its the fact that the game itself is LONG. It took me exactly 99 hours to beat it. Not only that but the game employs almost every single character from the past .Hack// installments, major characters and minor characters like Chimney (seriously, why is he in the game?)

For //Link to be remade and bring it over, that would mean reigning in every English VA that has been with .Hack from the beginning, that would be expensive as hell and not easy to pull off.

Would I like to see it? Abso-f*cking lutely! We all would and every .Hack// fan outside of Japan deserves some kind of retribution for being cheated out of it back in 2011.

In terms of how CC Corp is planning on ending .Hack//, yea that's entirely up in the air. I'm confident we'll see something, CC Corp has a plan and Hiroshi wants to continue it and knows the fans want it to continue, it's just a matter of when; not if. I would say that since CC Corp is able to develop and publish their own games now could mean something but .Hack is still under right ownership with Namco Bandai....so it remains to be seen.

And easier thing would to bring //Versus to the PS4 and bring that over. Sure, they'd have to bring back some VAs but mainly Yuri Lowenthal (Haseo), Kate Higgins(Kite), Wendee Lee(Blackrose), Brianne Siddal(Tsukasa), Jamieson Price(Ovan), and Hermit's and Sakuya's VAs while at the same time finding a VA for Tokio and Sora from the movie. But that'd take a lot less time and money I'd say.

User avatar
Falions
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Falions » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:35 pm

Keyaki wrote:
For //Link to be remade and bring it over, that would mean reigning in every English VA that has been with .Hack from the beginning, that would be expensive as hell and not easy to pull off.



This is why a Link remake would have to be cut down in content and streamlined. We don't need to see characters like Chimney or Carl, because there's currently no way to buy the media they come from officially. But, still, even if it was just cut down to SIGN/IMOQ/G.U., you would need to have a ton of voice actors come back to reprise their roles. The only way I can see them getting around it is if they had the same voice actors voice Link's cast, just doing different voices.

User avatar
(Phantom) Thief
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:27 am
Location: The World
Contact:

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby (Phantom) Thief » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:42 pm

I think a good decision would be to create a compliation and include a new game like they did with G.U. A follow up with any content just before Guilty Dragon would be nice. According to that Force Era seems to have been running well into 2030. A revisit to 2015 Jyotaro Amagi was around would be nice to help straighten out the narrative of the character. Tokio might have found AIKA by Versus so maybe there's some room for a story somewhere around 2023. I also feel anything near 2032 or 2035 is good. Other than that we don't if anything after 2035 hack is still .hack however. We also have anything pre 2009 and AI servers of the game.

CC2 could also do what Bandai Namco does with Digimon and create alternate games for the series like with Digimon Story, Digimon World and Digimon Survivor.

User avatar
Greyoutt
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Greyoutt » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm

I'd still like to see Guilty Dragon get localized over here. Fate/Grand Order had a long time before it got translated, and a Guilty localization has all the content ready to go as well.

(Phantom) Thief wrote:Could also do what Bandai Namco does with Digimon and create alternate games for the series like with Digimon Story, Digimon World and Digimon Survivor.



Ooooh, I like this idea.

User avatar
Falions
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Falions » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Greyoutt wrote:
(Phantom) Thief wrote:Could also do what Bandai Namco does with Digimon and create alternate games for the series like with Digimon Story, Digimon World and Digimon Survivor.



Ooooh, I like this idea.


I'd like to see a conclusion to the current story before we start messing with alternate timelines, haha.

User avatar
Keyaki
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Delta: Setting Eternity's Night Moon

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby Keyaki » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:04 pm

Falions wrote:
Greyoutt wrote:
(Phantom) Thief wrote:Could also do what Bandai Namco does with Digimon and create alternate games for the series like with Digimon Story, Digimon World and Digimon Survivor.



Ooooh, I like this idea.


I'd like to see a conclusion to the current story before we start messing with alternate timelines, haha.


Yea really. Multiverses and alternate timelines can be/are annoying enough. .Hack doesn't need to be plagued by that as well.

User avatar
(Phantom) Thief
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:27 am
Location: The World
Contact:

Re: Last Recode and Beyond (VOL. 4 & LINK SPOILERS)

Postby (Phantom) Thief » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:19 am

Keyaki wrote:
Falions wrote:
Greyoutt wrote:
(Phantom) Thief wrote:Could also do what Bandai Namco does with Digimon and create alternate games for the series like with Digimon Story, Digimon World and Digimon Survivor.



Ooooh, I like this idea.


I'd like to see a conclusion to the current story before we start messing with alternate timelines, haha.


Yea really. Multiverses and alternate timelines can be/are annoying enough. .Hack doesn't need to be plagued by that as well.


True. I guess my concerns are over how.hack can continue for the next 20 years like Bandai Namco wants, while ay the same time the story is already supposed to be heading for an ending.


Return to “General chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron