Elfen Lied anyone?

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

DotHack-Haseo's Brother

hmmmm.

Post by DotHack-Haseo's Brother »

Elfen Lied sucks. I really didn't like it because the ending was so Cliche'

But, I do like the gore, didn't really like the soundtrack though.
DotHack-Haseo

sooo......

Post by DotHack-Haseo »

So, let me get this straight, bro. You only watched it because of the gore pretty much. Huh? I don't remember you watching it with me. Where did you see it at?

Anyway, that's nothing I can't ask you in person right?

I loved the story line alot. The gore was just a plus in my opinion, and the soundtrack was awesome. You claim to watch and play dot hack, so if you don't like the soundtrack in Elfen Lied then that means you don't like the soundtrack in dot hack, because the soundtracks are very similar.
hawthorneluke

Post by hawthorneluke »

i dont see how its that good, just for the gore :S
but the story is incredable. you can think about the story after and complain about whatever. but really, what difference does that make?
its just all about the experience of watching it, at the time. not just how cliched it may be, after you think about it in the end. as i dont see how that would make it any worse, if the experience is the same.

but if that really did mess up the experience of watching it, then i guess that would be a problem (luckily, i dont think outside stuff too much when i get into them, so i cant be like "oh yeah, great, i knew that'd happen, so obvious!" (actually, when that does happen in stuff like code geass and death note, its pretty awesome though :P) XD)
Rykar

Post by Rykar »

In my opinion, I wasn't pretty much disgusted by gores that much. (Since I watched Akira, and Baldr Force EXE: Resolution). BUT! I hated the ending for the anime series. Only because I wanted to see No. 35 to be with Kurama happily without killing anyone, but also I wanted to see Lucy being with Kouta by hugging or something (yes they did hug and kiss ... but she went to bunch of police to fight them). I didnt want to see the ending where Kouta was just standing at the door and not opening it to see Lucy, but I wanted him to open it and hug her again and saying "welcome back" -_-;;
DotHack-Haseo

hmmm.

Post by DotHack-Haseo »

But, wouldn't that really defeat the purpose of the anime?

I like the ending...I happened to think that it was a classic anime ending.
Rykar

Post by Rykar »

not really. But in my opinion, I just would have been happy with that kind of ending that I was expecting.

If the director was to have Lucy alive, I am sure it would have been better to have the scene of hugging her saying "welcome back".
hawthorneluke

Post by hawthorneluke »

yeah, the ending may of had loads of things which destroyed your idea of a perfect ending. but man, even if it wasn't all happy how you wanted it, the actual story and experience of watching it was incredable.
although, if you really want to see more and what's after that, read the manga. that's why i am :D
DotHack-Haseo

I agree

Post by DotHack-Haseo »

I agree, but, everyone has their own ending's that they like and don't like. I like happy endings also, but it ended in a way that I kinda figured it would end. I like all different kinds of endings, but the endings that I hate are the ones that leave you cliffhanging and they never make another series.

(coughfullmetalalchemistcough)

But I'm hoping they do, I love fullmetal alchemist, wish they would make another series though.

Elfen lied was good but the ending could have as you say been better.
hawthorneluke

Post by hawthorneluke »

yeah, i too would of liked a nice happy ending, where there is nothing left unknown. but, that may of made the whole experience of watching it a bit worse. i'm not saying it would of, i'm saying its a possibility and of course, the producers would really want to make their anime as good as they can get it.

i didnt assume how it would end anyway, as i watched all of it in one night lol, so i didn't have much time to do that, just being immersed in the actual anime. i find that to be much better, as i won't be like yeah, yeah, i know what will happen, but i'll be surprised, when i should be surprised where as other people may of known what was coming. so i'm really glad i tend not to think too much about it technically and what the producer's would of likely done, seeing as the experience for me is so much better XD

but yeah, the ending could of been better maybe, if you feel you'd like it to end with no unknown's left and it all being happy (thats how i feel). but, that sort of thing could ruin the actual story and experience and make the whole thing worse in the first place.
for example, if all animes ended happily, then you'd know that this really important character wouldn't really die here, as they'd all get together at the end and live happily ever after. but, if thats not the case, then you really wouldn't know if they'd live or die or whatever and there would be far more suspense and like i keep saying, the experience would be much more impressive.
DotHack-Haseo

haha

Post by DotHack-Haseo »

I never said that I wanted all endings to be happy, I was just implying that the ending could have been better. Like Kouta walks up to the gate and right when he opens the gate it fades to black.

That would have been awesome.
hawthorneluke

Re: haha

Post by hawthorneluke »

DotHack-Haseo wrote:I never said that I wanted all endings to be happy, I was just implying that the ending could have been better. Like Kouta walks up to the gate and right when he opens the gate it fades to black.

That would have been awesome.
ah i see ^^
well, i guess it was pretty close to how you would of liked it XD
can't always tailor animes to suit everyone perfectly :P
DotHack-Haseo

haha

Post by DotHack-Haseo »

I agree.

But like I stated earlier, everyone has their endings that they like and don't like.
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Entertainment needs more tragedies. There really aren't enough of them nowadays. Everyone's so afraid to hear/see a sad story, and so everything has a predictably happy ending to it.
Rykar

Post by Rykar »

Well... if you really want depressing stories, then go watch "Kill'em all Tomino" series such as Space Runaway Ideon, Zambot 3, Dunbine etc.
Carnage

Post by Carnage »

S1lentOp wrote:Entertainment needs more tragedies. There really aren't enough of them nowadays. Everyone's so afraid to hear/see a sad story, and so everything has a predictably happy ending to it.
I don't quite think that's true, people aren't -afraid- of hearing/seeing a sad story. From what I can tell people just don't wanna show their emotions.

I for one, really enjoy a good sad anime. But I will agree that there aren't enough of them, but we still got a fair amount. But on the subject of sad; bitter-sweet endings I do not enjoy, there is just something about it. I rather it be a happy ending, or a sad ending. Bitter-sweet endings, sometimes I just don't know either to be sad or to be somewhat happy, and agree that it's just better this way about the ending results.

back on topic: The gore of Elfen Lied didn't quite appeal to me, however it wasn't too over-the-top that it would disgust me. Cliche or not, which I don't know why people complain about so much, pretty much alot of ideas are taken already. So just because it's similiar to another existing ones, doesn't mean it's still not enjoyable to watch. People should really understand that, and not just about animes, but alot of other things too.
DotHack-Haseo

Carnage

Post by DotHack-Haseo »

Carnage Wrote:
I don't quite think that's true, people aren't -afraid- of hearing/seeing a sad story. From what I can tell people just don't wanna show their emotions.

I for one, really enjoy a good sad anime. But I will agree that there aren't enough of them, but we still got a fair amount. But on the subject of sad; bitter-sweet endings I do not enjoy, there is just something about it. I rather it be a happy ending, or a sad ending. Bitter-sweet endings, sometimes I just don't know either to be sad or to be somewhat happy, and agree that it's just better this way about the ending results.

back on topic: The gore of Elfen Lied didn't quite appeal to me, however it wasn't too over-the-top that it would disgust me. Cliche or not, which I don't know why people complain about so much, pretty much alot of ideas are taken already. So just because it's similiar to another existing ones, doesn't mean it's still not enjoyable to watch. People should really understand that, and not just about animes, but alot of other things too.
I couldn't have put that in better words myself.
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Carnage wrote:
S1lentOp wrote:Entertainment needs more tragedies. There really aren't enough of them nowadays. Everyone's so afraid to hear/see a sad story, and so everything has a predictably happy ending to it.
I think you'll realize over time that people abhor sad endings, because it is a grim reminder that not everything works out for the best and that bad things do happen to good-intentioned people. Generally people, especially Americans, hate this. There are several instances where the ending to books and movies have been changed specifically for the American versions because people dislike tragedies. Alternate endings aren't too uncommon either. There is a psychological reason, I believe, for this and when that's understood, it is very easy to understand why there are fewer tragedies in storytelling today than there were many years ago. People overall prefer to feel good at the end, whereas only the few truly appreciate a sad ending.

Personally, I believe story-telling has become too sugary and feel-good. For every decent tragedy, there are countless happy endings and this is simply a shame in my opinion.
Last edited by S1lentOp on Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carnage

Post by Carnage »

S1lentOp wrote:
Carnage wrote:
I think you'll realize over time that people abhor sad endings, because it is a grim reminder that not everything works out for the best and that bad things do happen to good-intentioned people. Generally people, especially Americans, hate this. There are several instances where the ending to books and movies have been changed specifically for the American versions because people dislike tragedies. Alternate endings aren't too uncommon either. There is a psychological reason, I believe, for this and when that's understood, it is very easy to understand why there are fewer tragedies in storytelling today than there were many years ago. People overall prefer to feel good at the end, whereas only the few truly appreciate a sad ending.
People should really appreciate sad endings, having happy endings all the time can be dull. And I suppose I am one of the few who actually appreciates it.
Rykar

Post by Rykar »

If you look at Elfen Lied's ending, it wasn't sad. It was sad-happy style ending (It was sad with Kurama and 35, but) It was supposed to be a good ending with lack of detail in the end. And most endings shouldnt end like that way imo. It's the kind of part where two characters should comfort instead.

offtopic, Noein was a sad-happy ending but it went very nicely for an anime. It however had detailed ending because the anime series has it's type of elaborating the storyline rather than making it too simple and lack of straightforwardness.
DotHack-Haseo

uuummm

Post by DotHack-Haseo »

I'm still watching No e In so please...lol.....try not to use too many references for that show, because right now, I am so in love with the art and the story line I would cry If I found out the ending too soon.

Any way, yeah, I like all kinds of endings and I agree that peole should expect some sad endings regardless of their state of mind.