Which anime of today will be considered future classics?

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Vallen

Which anime of today will be considered future classics?

Post by Vallen »

Back in the 2000s when I was in my teen years, there were plenty of ongoing shows that I never really considered would be considered "classics" a decade in the future. Plenty of shows like FMA, Gurren Lagann, Naruto, Bleach, FLCL, Eureka Seven, Death Note and many others were still ongoing or relatively new at the time. Me and my social circle never thought far ahead and tried to see which anime would live the test of time and fandom interest.

So I wanted to make a fun little thread where we can make predictions on which current anime might be considered classics 10 years in the future? For the sake of variety, lets set 2010-2019 as the range, but it'll definitely be more fun if we work with current shows that aren't more than 2 years old.

Here are some of my picks of this decade's anime titles that I think will be brought up in the future as the shows defining this decade:
(do note that I have not seen all these shows, nor do I like some the picks - but my opinion of the show doesn't change the fact of how big it was within the community)

-Durarara - Will be labeled as unique storytelling and style
-Oriemo (my little sister can't be this cute) - Will be one of the more notable harems
-Steins;Gate - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-Fate Zero - Will be a highly regarded mature high quality story, a la Garden of Sinners
-Hunter x Hunter 2011- Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
-SAO - Unfortunately will get the "Anime Classic" label
-Kuroko no Basket - Will be regarded as the best entry in the sport genre for this decade (along with that volleyball show)
-JoJo - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-The Nisemonogatori franchise - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-Kill la Kill - Will be the "gurren lagann" of this decade, but not as good
-Space Dandy - Will age well and reach the same status as "samurai champloo"
-Tokyo Ghoul - Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
-Assassination Classroom - Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
-One Punch Man - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-My Hero Academia - Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
-Yuri On Ice - Will get the "Anime Classic" label

Those are my predictions as of Jan 2017. We still have about two years before this decade ends, and I'm sure we'll get at least a few more quality shows to put on this list. Also, similarly, some of these shows might be completely forgotten in two years and I'll take them off this list. It'll be fun to come back here in 10 years (if I can remember LOL) to check my predictions :lol: -- maybe I'll write them down..

Re: Which anime of today will be considered future classics?

Post by Avatar_Crim »

steins;gate
jojo
one punch man

yes.

so no attack on titan?
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Oh yeah, forgot about AoA
Falions

Post by Falions »

Jojo already has the "anime classic" label. It's been around since the late 80s.

I think it's hard to distinguish right now between "popular" and "meaningful," though that isn't to say the two can't overlap.
I notice lots of people calling Steins;Gate a masterpiece of modern anime, but I always found it lacked in the art department. A fun and interesting story, sure, but what makes animation so compelling as a medium is the animators' ability to do anything--which I just don't think Steins;Gate did.

What makes other classics a classic is because it is a combination of everything that makes anime great. I always consider Cowboy Bebop to be a prime example of one of those objectively great shows--great animation, great characters, great music, and its episodic nature makes it accessible and widely appealing.

Also, why include Oreimo on there at all? I'm genuinely curious. I watched the first season and found nothing worth writing about, it was more just gross over anything else. I mean, sure, harem is already a tough genre to find "good" in, but there are "better" ones like Oh My Goddess and Love Hina. I just didn't see anything compelling about Oreimo, especially since the imouto aspect is kinda gross.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Falions wrote:Jojo already has the "anime classic" label. It's been around since the late 80s.
The manga is a classic, sort of, in Japan it was. North America mostly didn't know about JoJo until David Production came in with the new anime. Only after the new anime did the JoJo manga get a reprint and a re-release overseas. The new anime will be remembered as a classic of the 2010s.
Falions wrote:I think it's hard to distinguish right now between "popular" and "meaningful," though that isn't to say the two can't overlap.
I notice lots of people calling Steins;Gate a masterpiece of modern anime, but I always found it lacked in the art department. A fun and interesting story, sure, but what makes animation so compelling as a medium is the animators' ability to do anything--which I just don't think Steins;Gate did.
I personally consider Steins;Gate trash, but the fandom loves it, so it'll be remembered. Most of the time quality and popularity do not overlap.
Falions wrote:What makes other classics a classic is because it is a combination of everything that makes anime great. I always consider Cowboy Bebop to be a prime example of one of those objectively great shows--great animation, great characters, great music, and its episodic nature makes it accessible and widely appealing.
Again, Bebop is a classic because the fandom embraced it. Sure, it has good elements like music and characters - but it's story is so mediocre. There practically isn't even a story until the last few episodes - just a collection of random activities that the characters get involved in.
Falions wrote:Also, why include Oreimo on there at all? I'm genuinely curious. I watched the first season and found nothing worth writing about, it was more just gross over anything else. I mean, sure, harem is already a tough genre to find "good" in, but there are "better" ones like Oh My Goddess and Love Hina. I just didn't see anything compelling about Oreimo, especially since the imouto aspect is kinda gross.
Oreimo is the most mainstream harem of this decade, it seems. The alternatives like Nisekoi didn't come close. The ones you mention are not 2010s anime. You gotta keep in mind that you and I don't make this list, unfortunately, shows that will be remembered are the ones that made an impact in the community, regardless of what individuals like ourselves think if their quality.
Falions

Post by Falions »

Vallen wrote:
Falions wrote:What makes other classics a classic is because it is a combination of everything that makes anime great. I always consider Cowboy Bebop to be a prime example of one of those objectively great shows--great animation, great characters, great music, and its episodic nature makes it accessible and widely appealing.
Again, Bebop is a classic because the fandom embraced it. Sure, it has good elements like music and characters - but it's story is so mediocre. There practically isn't even a story until the last few episodes - just a collection of random activities that the characters get involved in.
Does it need to have an ongoing, serialized story to be good? It has so many interesting stories within each episode that I would prefer it didn't have one continuous story. The character's own backstories unravel so subtly throughout as well, and by the end of it everything has been neatly wrapped up. Through each episode there's always an interesting moral dilemma, always a plot to keep you entertained, and characters that feel real and fleshed out because you spend so much time with them simply living their lives. You don't need some grandiose plot to create a compelling world.

I've met people who don't like anime but love Cowboy Bebop. I just think it is truly a widely appealing and masterfully made show. There is something in there for everyone. The fact that it is a classic isn't the result of overhype or a rabid fanbase--it is simply because it is good.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Falions wrote:Does it need to have an ongoing, serialized story to be good? It has so many interesting stories within each episode that I would prefer it didn't have one continuous story. The character's own backstories unravel so subtly throughout as well, and by the end of it everything has been neatly wrapped up. Through each episode there's always an interesting moral dilemma, always a plot to keep you entertained, and characters that feel real and fleshed out because you spend so much time with them simply living their lives. You don't need some grandiose plot to create a compelling world.

I've met people who don't like anime but love Cowboy Bebop. I just think it is truly a widely appealing and masterfully made show. There is something in there for everyone. The fact that it is a classic isn't the result of overhype or a rabid fanbase--it is simply because it is good.
The American Saturday Morning Cartoon formula isn't for me, a la powerpuff girls, dexter's lab, spongebob etc.. (random stuff every new episode). I prefer a story that starts and finishes with no "filler" in between - and there are many shows out there that have a better story.

But Bebop is a perfect example of enough people liking a show for it to be a classic, hence the answer why stuff like SAO will be remembered.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

air gear i think had a chance to one day be a classic, but they just never finished it, and i will forever be disappoint.

also, i just thought about it, no code geass? imo, it has one of the best endings i've ever watched.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Avatar_Crim wrote:air gear i think had a chance to one day be a classic, but they just never finished it, and i will forever be disappoint.

also, i just thought about it, no code geass? imo, it has one of the best endings i've ever watched.
We're in the 2010-2019 range of when the show came out. Geass is a 2000s show :)

Post by Avatar_Crim »

Vallen wrote:We're in the 2010-2019 range of when the show came out. Geass is a 2000s show :)
lul. yeah. i see that now haha.. herpaderp.

so with that range then, you are including stuff that has been out prior to that date, but has a remake within the date, cause i see jojo and hunter x hunter. and im pretty sure those were around before 2010.
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

Some anime that I haven't seen mentioned.

One Piece - Its funny, its popular its good - Anime Classic
DRAGON BALL SUPER!!!!!!!! - You can't kill dragon ball, it just trains in heaven and comes back from death 10 million times stronger. Loses its strength, retrain and comes back even stronger than it did at its peak. (Okay maybe it will go but its going out with a boom!)
Keijo - Never seen anything like it and I think people will refer to it again for its unique story and concepts.
RE: Zero - it kick started the reincarnation stuff again.
YOUR NAME - VERY Good Upcoming Anime Movie
Spirited Away - A lot of people still mention it.
Yu Gi Oh!! - I have a feel it will still be around
Songeki No Soma - I don't think a lot of people notice it now but I think it will stay.
The Promised Neverland - It will become an anime eventually, I think it will be as well regarded as Death Note.
Boruto- The legacy shall thrive.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

(Phantom) Thief wrote:Some anime that I haven't seen mentioned.

One Piece - Its funny, its popular its good - Anime Classic 90s anime..
DRAGON BALL SUPER!!!!!!!! - You can't kill dragon ball, it just trains in heaven and comes back from death 10 million times stronger. Loses its strength, retrain and comes back even stronger than it did at its peak. (Okay maybe it will go but its going out with a boom!)
Keijo - Never seen anything like it and I think people will refer to it again for its unique story and concepts.
RE: Zero - it kick started the reincarnation stuff again. could see it being a seasonal fad that will be forgotten quickly
YOUR NAME - VERY Good Upcoming Anime Movie
Spirited Away - A lot of people still mention it. people need to read instructions
Yu Gi Oh!! - I have a feel it will still be around every sequel after the original is not a classic
Songeki No Soma - I don't think a lot of people notice it now but I think it will stay.
The Promised Neverland - It will become an anime eventually, I think it will be as well regarded as Death Note. not an anime yet
Boruto- The legacy shall thrive.
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

Well my thoughts are OP is still going, so it should be fine in thinking that people will still be taking it into account later on. RE: Zero might actually be doing better than expected. Its boom in popularity has been apart most of the topics I've seen for it. Also at this point it seems like fans could consider it the .hack to Sword Art Online, Log Horizon and Overlord of Reincarnation Anime. Another upcoming series Re: CREATOR might grow but that's more from hearing who the writer behind the series was than anything else, which is very nice. But beside that I think The Promised Neverland is might be a good guess since we have until 2019 for it to happen.

Spirited Away was me just thinking of something enjoyable. But yeah I was rushing through things a little. As for sequel I guess that's right, though Goku, Jojo, Gundams & Major Motoko Kusanagi might disagree. IE: Dragon Ball Z is considered a 90's classic while the original story Dragon Ball started around 86 with nineties kids watching this anime classic and "sequel" (?) for some time. To add those the same events might be about to happen now with Dragon Ball Super returning to Toonami leaving the newer additional generation thinking the same way, we and our predecessors may have about the series. However as for sequels in general for the most part it could just be because card games in motorcycles are okay in my book...
Vallen wrote:
Avatar_Crim wrote:air gear i think had a chance to one day be a classic, but they just never finished it, and i will forever be disappoint.

We're in the 2010-2019 range of when the show came out. Geass is a 2000s show :)
lul. yeah. i see that now haha.. herpaderp.

so with that range then, you are including stuff that has been out prior to that date, but has a remake within the date, cause i see jojo and hunter x hunter. and im pretty sure those were around before 2010.
 Screw the rules I have a sequel. >.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uauoksTrdqU

Post by Avatar_Crim »

Normally I'm excited for sequels. This time I am not. I don't want a Code Geass continuation. I enjoyed it tremendously and even more the ending. but thats for another thread lol.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Vallen wrote: -Durarara - Will be labeled as unique storytelling and style
-Oriemo (my little sister can't be this cute) - Will be one of the more notable harems
-Steins;Gate - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-Fate Zero - Will be a highly regarded mature high quality story, a la Garden of Sinners
-SAO - Unfortunately will get the "Anime Classic" label
-JoJo - Will get the "Anime Classic" label
-Assassination Classroom - Will be considered one of the top shonen series of the decade
- I think Baccano left a better impression than Durarara...
-There's a ton of harem shows. Oreimo being one is confusing, as not all harem shows really show it well. That and the whole... "incest" thing.
-Steins;gate is the better of the shows that came from the creators. Not sure it'll be classic, though.
-Fate Zero is...depressing as hell to watch. I can't call it a classic, but I have a problem with Urobuchi's way of overusing and screwing with the canon established even in the vns...
-SAO is... entertaining. Unfortunately, it's not exactly as deep as it wants to be. It came at the right time.
-Jojo's is actually rather boring to me. And I've seen past phantom blood.
-Kill la Kill isn't that fondly looked upon?
-Assassination Classroom is an interesting story, but it won't last long after it's done.

Anyways...

I think just because people talk about shows a lot at a time, it isn't always a popular one. For example, Attack on Titan, for all the hype and love for it... Has cooled down most of it's fan base. And with the manga still not finished at this point, I doubt we'll get a full story animated.

As for shonens... They all vary in quality.
Flagon_15

Post by Flagon_15 »

No Madoka Magica? Come on guys, that would be an obvious choice. I know that 2011 isn't really today, but still.
I'd nominate Kill la Kill, Steins;Gate and Re:Creators as well.
EmeraldWand

Post by EmeraldWand »

At first, popular anime will appear to be classics, but perhaps over time, people will rediscover lost gems and consider those the classics. Time will tell. Pop anime loses it's flavor quickly and doesn't always age well, despite the flashy appearance. It does set a standard of expectations though. I would hope that the anime that get you to think would become classics. Yes, Stein's:Gate is definitely on that list. I'd also vote Madoka Magica as well. The Fate franchise anime will get the classic label by virtue of association with the best of its anime, despite some of it being... less than impressive.

I'd also add Oreshura to the list of classics. If you haven't seen it yet, do watch it. It's a spoof of all harem anime, and seeing the way Japanese anime is, Oreshura show will be timeless.