Moderator: Moderators

Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Japanese Government to Start Anti-Anime/Manga Piracy

Post by Kaori »

Full story can be found here:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... next-month

In cooperation with 15 major anime production companies and manga publishers, the Japanese government will next month start a huge extermination operation against 580 foreign sites which have illegally uploaded anime and manga contents on the web without the copyright holders' permission, NHK reported on July 28. While the government has started supporting the genre as one of their important cultural exports, there appears to be no end of illegal uploading of anime and manga via pirate sites, mainly operated by Chinese. The Cultural Affairs Agency estimates the loss caused by the Chinese pirate sites last year was amounted to at least 560 billion yen (about US$ 5.5 billion).

On August 1, the government will start simultaneously sending requests to delete illegal anime and manga contents to the operators of the 580 foreign pirate sites which they have found. In addition, the operation will launch a new site to guide the fans to a legitimate site offering some 250 titles including
the latest ones at a cost of several hundred yen.

This is gonna suck.....
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: Japanese Government to Start Anti-Anime/Manga Piracy

Post by TheSorrow »

HOW AM I GONNA CATCH UP WITH NARUTO AND YUGIOH NOW!?!?! DDDDD;

Well Naruto has been sucking alot recently and i haven't even read the latest manga.
BUT YUGIOH ARC-V IS ACTUALLY GETTING SORTA COOL.
AND HELL THIS JUST AFFECTS EVERYTHING INVOLVING ALL KINDS OF ANIME/MANGA ON THE INTERNET DDD8
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

How about we start being more active in the anime thread? If not all of us have access to the manga in the future, there can be some of us who can tell the others whats happening, unfortunately the only thing we have that's actually active is the RP threads and they're no fun to read.
zerokoolpsx

Post by zerokoolpsx »

No, I still need to catch up with Bleach from the Fullbring arc. So many others I still need to read. Damn, this will suck.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Torrent sites will be around. Everytime a torrent site goes down, another one comes up to take its place.

zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Prepare for some internet backdraft and honestly if anime/manga and torrent sites go down more shall come up.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

I've got 1.5TB of anime on my external drive, I'm set for a while.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Thats more sites being targeted than I expected, though with this warning I'd imagine all they need to do is make copy of the site and use a different name. Not sure if this scare tactic will be enough to make many people (if any) resort to buying anime (that are physically available and reasonably priced ofcourse) that weren't before. Then again with all the simucasting going on people can get so much for a simple membership fee, look at crunchyroll's huge catalog. Plus these sites are streaming some of the mainstream series when they are released in Japan, helps fans keep upto date however i'm positive they won't include all the shows people are currently watching/reading.

Then we are at their discretion of what we should get to see/read or not. doesn't help if a series isn't released outside of Japan or is OoP and costs a bomb to buy <.< >.> which after buying said OoP boxset they (out of nowhere) announce a re-release with added dub and/or OVA.

Atleast plenty of anime is being brought over to the West for those buying them if out of nowhere anime streaming sites disappeared (not even likely to happen), tonnes to choose from and if need be importing from USA/UK/Australia is an option. >.> though if that were the case it wouldn't be surprising to see prices rise.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

There are some of us who can't fork over several hundred Yen either, that and what about Doujinshi and one-shots? Lets face it, they'll only bring over big names, little known works would be ignored, and sometimes, the little known works turn out to become sleeper hits.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

I kind of doubt this will be as effective as they hope it to be. But I'm used to not having access to most anime anyway. We'll see what happens. Either way, I'm still not watching toonami on saturdays.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

When one site goes down another will pop up. They're just run by too many doddering old fools to see it.
BrinODea

Post by BrinODea »

Its also hard to control overseas piracy, since if the work itself is not copy written/serialized in a department building in said country, well, it has no rights then...
Sites like Youtube may comply as to not cause issues, but until it has some released form in that country, they can only "ask" that website to remove it.