Ghost in the Shell Arise

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Ghost in the Shell Arise

Post by Kaori »

According to scans from the February issue of Young Magazine, a new Ghost in the Shell anime project is currently in development and is slated to premiere later this year. The exact format — whether TV, OVA, or film — is yet to be revealed.

The new work, entitled 「Ghost in the Shell ARISE」, will have former GitS film director Kise Kazuchika involved with the staff. The official website is now live — as well as its Twitter and Facebook accounts. A key visual can be viewed here.

GitS:SAC anime director Kamiyama Kenji has confirmed that he is not involved with the new project.

In addition, a Ghost in the Shell Arise live event is planned for February 12th (21:00 JST) at the nicofarre event hall in Tokyo. It will be streamed live worldwide on Niconico, Bandai Channel, and Youtube to allow fan participation. More details will be released when the magazine is officially out.

*Staff Credits:

Director: Kise Kazuchika
Screenplay: Ubukata Tow
Music: Cornelius

Official website:
http://www.kokaku-a.com/
zerokoolpsx

Re: Ghost in the Shell Arise

Post by zerokoolpsx »

OMG! So hyped. A prequel maybe?
http://moca-news.net/article/20130116/201301160500a/01/
Production IG has officially announced a new Ghost in the Shell anime project. The full details will be unveiled next month at a press conference on Feb 12. For now, what is known is that it is a new take on Ghost in the Shell, just like how the Oshii movies and the Stand Alone Complex series were different projects. This will be a new Ghost in the Shell with new designs and new staff. The format of the anime has not been disclosed.

Official site: http://kokaku-a.com/

The 60 minute press conference on Feb 12 will be streamed worldwide live at 9pm JST on Niconico Douga, Bandai Channel, and Youtube. More details on the official site.

Staff

Chief Director: Kazuchika Kise (directorial debut [okay I'm wrong about this, sue me!], veteran animation director at Production IG, worked on the Ghost in the Shell and Blood the Last Vampire projects)

Story Composition/Script: Tow Ubukata (Chevalier, Fafner, Heroic Age, Mardock Scramble)

Music: Cornelius (Keigo Oyamada)

----

Looks like Production IG put up an official English report on their site: http://www.productionig.com/contents..._the_sh_5.html

Production I.G announces the production of Ghost in the Shell: Arise, the new chapter of the world million-selling franchise of Ghost in the Shell, originally created in 1989 by comic artist Shirow Masamune.

Ghost in the Shell: Arise, to be launched in 2013, will be directed by Kazuchika Kise (chief animator in both Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence movies) while the screenplay will be penned by award-winning novelist Tow Ubukata (Mardock Scramble, Le Chevalier d'Eon) and the music composed by Cornelius (Appleseed: Ex Machina). Shirow Masamune will also directly contribute to the project.
An official presentation with special guests will take place at the nicofarre event hall in Tokyo on February 12, 2013 and will be webcast live worldwide with simultaneous translation from 9:00 pm (Japan time) on Niconico, Bandai Channel and YouTube.

About the director: Kazuchika Kise
Born in Osaka in 1965. After graduating from high school, Kise enrolled an animation school, but quit after just four days to join Osaka-based studio Anime R. He then moved to Production I.G in the studio's early days. A natural talent, he became one of Mamoru Oshii's favourite artists, serving as animation supervisor in the two Patlabor movies (1989 and 1993), the groundbreaking Ghost in the Shell (1995) and its Palme d'Or-nominated follow up Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004). Other notably works include, Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth (1997), Blood: The Last Vampire (2000) xxxHOLiC - A Midsummer Night's Dream (2005), Musashi: The Dream of the Last Samurai (2009) and Blood-C: The Last Dark (2012). He made his directorial debut in 2011 with the short film, Drawer Hobs, that was selected at Sitges and SICAF film festivals. Currently head animator at Production I.G's Studio 2, Kise is commonly regarded as one of Japan's finest animation artists.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

Usually when I see such a dramatic change in art style, coupled with a change in the Director and Composer (Formerly Yoko Kanno, and Kenji Kawaii before that), it means that the show's name is being misused for profit.

I'll watch a couple episodes when it first comes out, but if it doesn't live up to the name Ghost in the Shell I'm gonna be furious.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Here's a trailer, apparently, it's a bunch of movies, not a TV series.
zerokoolpsx

Post by zerokoolpsx »

A prequel to pretty much everything. Motoko with short hair. Everyone looks younger except for Togusa. I watched it twice. I was dead tired when I saw it late into the night. Then I watched it again and the action sequences and animation is pretty good, the ones that includes Motoko anyway. It's the first of a four part series.
I like it despite not being the Motoko that I know.
Yep, Makoto is a tomboy.
So anyone else seen it yet? Thoughts?
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

zerokoolpsx wrote:A prequel to pretty much everything. Motoko with short hair. Everyone looks younger except for Togusa. I watched it twice. I was dead tired when I saw it late into the night. Then I watched it again and the action sequences and animation is pretty good, the ones that includes Motoko anyway. It's the first of a four part series.
I like it despite not being the Motoko that I know.
Yep, Makoto is a tomboy.
So anyone else seen it yet? Thoughts?
I have, and I'm the reason why you watched it, and I always though Makoto was a Bi.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

Kaori wrote:I have, and I'm the reason why you watched it, and I always though Makoto was a Bi.
It's not that she's Bi, but that since anyone can have any body they choose, including her, to her the mind and personalty are the only things that matter. Though she does find the female form to be more aesthetically pleasing, which was brought up twice to my knowledge throughout the franchise.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Erranty wrote:
Kaori wrote:I have, and I'm the reason why you watched it, and I always though Makoto was a Bi.
It's not that she's Bi, but that since anyone can have any body they choose, including her, to her the mind and personalty are the only things that matter. Though she does find the female form to be more aesthetically pleasing, which was brought up twice to my knowledge throughout the franchise.
 Arise said that she was a fetus when she got full body conversion, how did they know she was gonna be a girl?
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

Kaori wrote:
Erranty wrote:
 Arise said that she was a fetus when she got full body conversion, how did they know she was gonna be a girl?
Arise just completely screwed up then, as that's physically impossible since her brain would've still been developing connections to sensory input.

They explain how Motoko became a full cyborg in Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd Gig. In it they explained that there was a plane crash, and that the only 2 survivors were children, a boy and a girl both age 6. The boy folded paper cranes with his only working hand as wishes that she'd get better because she was comatose and on life support. One day she was removed from the room, but they boy kept folding cranes hoping for the best. One day she came back, she was the youngest person to ever be cyberized (mind you, this was when the technology was still new) and she had a full prosthetic body. She asked the boy "Why don't you get it too?" and he asked her to try and fold a paper crane, but she couldn't, so he said "When the technology advances enough that I'll be able to fold a paper crane, I'll do it."

This timeline for her cyberization is also backed up by the constant thing in every GitS show, where she wakes up and checks her hand. This is because when she was cyberized at first she had difficulty controlling it and accidentally crushed her favorite doll. This left her with a mental scar and has caused her to become driven to master prosthetic bodies, which is what led to her initial hacking skills.