Moderator: Moderators

Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Sequels

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Here's a question that often plagues my mind:
Do sequels ruin an anime?
One of the many examples of it ruining an anime is with the gundam series. Gundam SEED Destiny seems to have sort of ruined what was established in the original series. It is not to say I know all the screw ups, but many of the alterations to the story don't make sense. I also didn't particularly like Shinn, but that was more because he was an annoying character in my opinion.

Kuroshitsuji II is probably one of the bigger examples of something that changed the story a bit too much. I'm not going into spoilers, but it seems like a lot of the choices were poor. More so how they manipulate a way for there to be a conflict and second season. I'm not saying that all sequels are like this, but many seems to do it.

Note that things like Gundam 00's second season and Code Geass R:2 aren't really sequels. They are necessary to finish the story. The same would go for comparing Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni to Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai.

So, do sequels ruin a good anime or even a decent anime?

Note: The .hack franchise is similar to a story cycle or a linked story collection. That means that each part of the story can be stand alone and be understood in theory. Therefore, .hack//GU is not a sequel to .hack//IMOQ.
zerokoolpsx

Re: Sequels

Post by zerokoolpsx »

Everyone's expectations are so high for sequels of said anime series, that by the time they do watch it, it's a disappointment when the plot is condensed or practically eliminated to finish the show. Code Geass R2 and Darker than Black are good examples. Haruhi Suzumiya as well, but for other reasons. I have a bitter knot of disappointment because they just rushed it. The only sequel that I do like so far is Spice and Wolf.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Lots of sequels are good. Black Lagoon 2nd Barrage. Gatekeepers 21 (or does that not count because 4 of the 7 main characters/villains are new?). GaoGaiGar FINAL. Fireball Charming is probably better though it's not even out yet. And I was just telling someone how awesome Sailor Stars was...

Also, Dragonball Z.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

I was pretty impressed with everything Ghost in the Shell did, but I have yet to see GitS:Innocence. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was pretty sweet.'

Also, I'm HOPING the Durarara!! second season does justice to the first. That anime was the best last year.
Smitts

Post by Smitts »

There are good sequels and then there are bad sequels.
It just depends if they make it good or not.

I think they don't ruin anime but they have the possibility of ruining it.
Even if the sequel is bad I'll still be a fan of the originals.