What got you into Anime?

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

azureeagle
Ride on Shooting Star
Ride on Shooting Star

What got you into Anime?

Post by azureeagle »

What event, person, advertisement, or anime show got you into watching anime?
For me it was Inuyasha and .hack Sign
And now I watch a bunch of newer and cooler anime like Death Note or Code Geass.
Terejima Ryoko

Re: What got you into Anime?

Post by Terejima Ryoko »

for me it was InuYasha and .hack too! you know back when they both used to air in the same time. well at that time it was InuYasha on week nights and .hack//sign took the saturday spot. man i loved those times. too bad they wont come back =/
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

funnily enough it was gundam =[
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

You're all n00bs. I got into anime when I was six years old and saw Sailor Moon. I was hooked for life, so now Sailor Moon has a place in my heart no other anime can get to.
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

AuraTwilight wrote:You're all n00bs. I got into anime when I was six years old and saw Sailor Moon. I was hooked for life, so now Sailor Moon has a place in my heart no other anime can get to.
I saw gundam when I was 5 =[...
FallenDragon
Location: Lost In A Sea Of Thoughts...or falling asleep in front of the monitor

Post by FallenDragon »

Dammit, now I feel old :\

The first one that got me hooked was probably Saint Seiya (and I'm not talking about those new ovas), Speed Racer, Samurai Cats (anyone? I loved it)...and I hate to admit it, but I saw Candy Candy.
There are probably more, but my memory is vague ~.~ I remember Sailor Moon, though I was never interested in it.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

I saw all those "older" animes like Sailor Moon, DBZ, and the original Pokemon series waaay before I even knew what anime was. So yes, I had seen anime at a much younger age, but it wasn't until I was 13 and watched InuYasha on Adult Swim that I was hooked.

On a side note, I miss Zoids and Toonami in general; so very nostalgic.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

I think the first series i ever saw on my life were anime, such like:
Dragon Ball
Sailor Moon
Saint Seiya
Remi
Speed Racer
And probably a few glances at others...maybe i would identify more than 15 old anime series if i were to read a list of them. Obviously didn't know it was anime by then, and i didn't know about anime itself until by the time Pokemon and Digimon came out.

While most people grew up watching stuff like Rocko's Modern Life (that i did watch too XD), i pretty much grew up watching anime, even though i lived for 10 years believing they were just cartoons made in my country :P lol
ptolemy66t

Post by ptolemy66t »

kanon 06 , never really was into anime till i watched it
Kouen
The Crimson Dusk
The Crimson Dusk

Post by Kouen »

Not really sure what really got me into anime. I think it's a combination of Pokemon, a Digimon Tamers fandub series, and Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.
ShinoBee

Post by ShinoBee »

My parents. They've been watching anime since they were young. My dad has a whole stash of manga, even in Japanese since he used to know some Japanese. And my mom...she was a fangirl of Captain Harlock. They were definitely the first generation of anime fans in the US. Then when I was an itty bitty baby, they definitely watched anime when they got home while I was around.

Basically, I was into anime since I was baby. But now I'm picky with it. What happened to all the good stuff?
Twilight Gaiden

Post by Twilight Gaiden »

Mega Man. Age 4.
azureeagle
Ride on Shooting Star
Ride on Shooting Star

Post by azureeagle »

Pretty much seems like everyone got pulled into Anime by very old ones. And ShinoBee, wow! Actually I don't know any parents in my whole city that likes anime. Me and my friend are pretty much the ones who got almost all of our grade into Anime and Manga. haha
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

When I really first started watching cartoons like around 4 years. Anime owns. The stories, graphics, and evey thing else that make anime what its is.
Terejima Ryoko

Post by Terejima Ryoko »

i remember when i was little i saw tenchi and salor moon, but it didnt hook me into anime
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

The first anime I ever watched as Dragonball, but at the time I didn't realize it was an anime since I didn't know what anime was. I just assumed it was another cartoon on television. What really introduced me to the anime subculture was .hack//SIGN and Gundam WING on Toonami, and then after that the shows on the Adult Swim back when it was almost exclusively anime. I remember watching the midnight episodes of the Toonami anime just to hear the uncut version of the episode (this was before Adult Swim). It wasn't until later that I started watching things that weren't on American television though. American television broadcast anime introduced me to a lot of series like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.
ShinoBee

Post by ShinoBee »

AuraTwilight wrote:You're all n00bs. I got into anime when I was six years old and saw Sailor Moon. I was hooked for life, so now Sailor Moon has a place in my heart no other anime can get to.
Totally didn't see this. Sorry AT, I beat you.

Been watching since I was a fetus (or baby, whatever makes sense). :D
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

ShinoBee wrote:
Totally didn't see this. Sorry AT, I beat you.

Been watching since I was a fetus (or baby, whatever makes sense). :D
You didn't post when I made that post, I was referring to everyone above me.
Haseo{Terror of Death}
Protagonist
Location: "...in the rift between consciousness and unconsciousness of all souls..."

Post by Haseo{Terror of Death} »

Anime Monkey wrote:I saw all those "older" animes like Sailor Moon, DBZ, and the original Pokemon series waaay before I even knew what anime was. So yes, I had seen anime at a much younger age, but it wasn't until I was 13 and watched InuYasha on Adult Swim that I was hooked.

On a side note, I miss Zoids and Toonami in general; so very nostalgic.
All of this
My cousins had me watch pokemon in Puerto Rico in spanish, I saw Bulbasuar and rhydon I remember watching DBZ with my dad, He loved it, those were good times, I saw Sailor moon, but I lost it somewhere and Ziods, Oh dear god Ziods, I loved Ziods I'd wake up at like 5 in the morning to watch it as a kid. I think it was DBZ and Zoids more than Sailor moon, but I watched it too, and I only saw a bit of SIGN as a child
Terejima Ryoko

Post by Terejima Ryoko »

omg! i completely forgot about Zoids!!!! who else liked/loved that show?