.hack//Fork

.hack role-playing, any creative writing, fan fiction, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

EmeraldWand

.hack//Fork

Post by EmeraldWand »

My very first fanfiction (... I think) and it's about .hack! (Edit: @mods - I don't know where this thread goes, so I put it here.)

Synopsis
In the year 2018, service of the World R:2 suddenly ends, leaving a number of players wondering what to do next. Desperate for a truly exciting gaming experience, several Russians and a German get together and steal a copy of the entire game from Cyber Connect. They piece together the code themselves in their own unique way, determined to make a more full-proof game without the same bugs but with the same excitement. However, in their analysis and exploration of their new world, they uncover secrets about the world buried in its original source, Fragment. What they find starts to feel more like a curse than a game.

Their new creation is called The World Neuvo. Botched yet beautiful, it begins to organically form its own dungeons, spun out of the complex web of combined code and the additional models incorporated into the main directories. To monitor the game, the hackers begin testing every bit of code they can within their own custom virtual machines, but it seems there is something about the game that defies their best efforts to control it.

Can they create a glorious new world? Or will the testers become prisoners in The World Neuvo?

Details
The story will be posted on my fanfiction account.
Update: The story is now online: .hack//Fork - Genesis

There are two parts of the story: Prologue/Genesis and Aura Nexus Chronicles. Both stories revolve around The World Neuvo, which is based on the software code base for The World R:1.

Prologue/Genesis focuses on how The World Neuvo came about and reveals some fragments of The Epitaph of Twilight. The story focuses primarily on the events in real life and how those affect the fate of the game world, but there is game play even early on.

Aura Nexus Chronicles revolves around Aura in this new world and an infection. Naturally, the story will focus on events within the game itself. I do have a basic plot line all set, which will be revealed in time.

Currently, I'm working on Prologue/Genesis the story has 20+ chapters about three pages long each, and it's not quite finished, but there's enough content to keep it interesting and I have no intention of quiting. It's been a blast writing it, so I hope you enjoy the read.

Aim
I intend to be as canonical as possible and even explain the timing. I'm not perfect, so with everyone's help, it would be great to have input on what I may have gotten wrong. Notably, some mistakes in the story are intentional (made by characters in the story), but the final result should align well with the rest of .hack, where the stories intersect. Since the story is about a fork in the project, there is plenty of flexibility, so expect some surprises.

I intend to expound heavily on The Epitaph of Twilight poem (and give it more applicability to actual gameplay) but write the new sections in the form and spirit of the original poem, not like the weird fan-made version floating around on the internet (which, contrary to Emma Wielant's intention for the original, actually has a happy ending... say what?). Even still, I have no intention of completing the poem (obviously, Wielant didn't) nor writing all of the collected or known fragments, thus leaving it open for someone else to insert their notes.

Questions?
Feel free to ask about details. Some things I'll reserve for readers, but I'll let you know if that'll be the case.
EmeraldWand

Re: .hack//Fork

Post by EmeraldWand »

The first story has been finished... or at least, I'm done writing it. I did write a conclusion, just not in narrative form.
Sadly, I doubt I'll ever write the sequel, "Aura Nexus Chronicles", but here's the planned chapter table of contents.

The Analysis of Aura
The Weakness of Aura
The Infection of Aura
The Meaning of Aura (maybe this chapter goes up one?)
The Death of Aura
The Resurrection of Aura
The Arming of Aura
The Triumph of Aura

Summary:

In an attempt to understand Aura, Yegor (usr: Zontna) starts analyzing her code in great detail. In doing so, he inadvertently unlocks a hole in her avatar that allows one of the new beta testers of The World Neuvo to insert a virus code and infect Aura. Yegor is excited to begin to learn the truth about Aura, but his excitement is killed when he learns of the virus. The virus soon becomes the bane of the developers, and control of The World Neuvo slowly falls into the hands of the mysterious beta tester.
Killing off the network connection so that the problem could be fixed would fail to help everyone because the virus quickly spreads to the copy of each person. Furthermore, the mastermind behind the scheme is starting to take victims into comatose.
Who is this mastermind? And how can they be stopped?

Ideas in case someone wants to write the story:

The story revolves around the analysis of Aura and how she was coded by Harald, the original creator of Fragment. Yegor discovers that much of the code for Fragment is indelibly (and obviously deliberately) tied to Aura. Sadly, the code for taking victims comatose is, in fact, a bug left by Harald on accident as part of a plan to extract the most experience from users and allow them to participate with Aura from her point of view. The resolution of the story is, consequently, the fix of this bug. Thereafter, victims never fall into comatose again.
After the story ends, the comatose incidents elsewhere spark a global interest in The World Neuvo. However, with some people still worried, the developers try their best to prove to the world that their creation is perfectly safe without upsetting CyberConnect. That story is named The Relevance.

The beta tester behind the virus may end up being a familiar face in the .hack world - someone, perhaps, trying to sabotage the efforts of the hackers. Or it could be someone using that as a ploy to throw off suspicion.