Would this be considered Copyright infringement.

Post original art and .hack fanart here. Submit fanart to fanart@dothackers.net

Moderator: Moderators

Sadivinedevil

Would this be considered Copyright infringement.

Post by Sadivinedevil »

I've been practicing how to use photoshop over the past few years. To better my skills I've decided to reproduce a segment of one of the wall papers that came with the hack link OST. The wallpaper in question is the one depicting Mia, Elk, Piros, and Natsume. The character I've chosen was Mia and I've mostly hand drawn it and imported it into photoshop. from there I've used my current knowledge of photoshop to reproduce it. I don't mind posting it when I'm done, but copyright laws would probably cause issues. I don't mind not posting it either as it is just a practice piece which I don't want any credit from it anyway. I just like the progress I've achieved so far and I would like some feedback on what I could improve so my later photoshop works.

The process I went through.
I hand drew it from the original. Then I scanned it and eyeballed it against the original in photoshop. Finally I colored it with swatches from the original.
Again I will not take credit for this piece, but I want to know if I can post it without any issues.
AtoliXHaseo

Re: Would this be considered Copyright infringement.

Post by AtoliXHaseo »

Eh Don't think so.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Sounds like fanart to me. As long as you aren't saying you created the characters, taking away from business, or selling the products you don't have to worry about copyright laws.
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

Tolby wrote:Sounds like fanart to me. As long as you aren't saying you created the characters, taking away from business, or selling the products you don't have to worry about copyright laws.
I guess I'll consider it when I'm done. I'm still a little concerned about putting it on Deviant though, but whatever.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

If that was considered to be copyright infringement, then i'm so going to jail just for using my current signature D8' lol

Nah don't worry, as Tolby said, that can just be considered as Fanart, and it doesn't break any copyright laws, as long as you give credit to the owners of the characters (in this case, CC2). You're not making a profit off their work, nor you're claiming them as your own creations...all you're doing is take a creation from someone else and applying your drawing skills on it for personal reasons, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with uploading it to deviantArt or showing it in any other site either. Just consider how MANY images from deviantArt come from copyrighted characters, and none of the members there or even the site itself get in any problem for it. But always be sure to say something like "Credits to CC2 for the characters" or just something where you give credit and recognize that the characters aren't yours and belong to someone else. But basicly, as long as you don't go around screaming that you made the characters and even selling them with your own names and all, you should be fine.
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

Here it is, but I can't find the damn copyright symbol in photoshop hopefully the Cs will do the trick.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Just copy and paste it: ©. It's an ASCII character, found and usable in pretty much every basic font you could use in the computer, not exactly a complicated symbol :P

And yeah, don't worry, CC2 won't hunt you down if they see your dA account with that image, unless you're going around saying that's your original character you created and is called "Meea". And just replace the C's with the ©'s and it's all perfect (the C's might do the trick...but the © is just too common and easy to type, to avoid putting it), and if you prefer, it also works well if you write the "©CyberConnect2" in the image description of dA or wherever you use it, rather than in the actual image...that helps too for certain drawings/images where you wouldn't want any text to interfere with the rest, and, you're still giving credit to them in any case.

But don't be too paranoid about it. Sure, it's nice to be careful and follow the rules and all...but, no one will alert the police or whatever if you simply make a drawing of some character and you forgot to give credit to the owners. So just draw and practice as you wish, and simply avoid involving those works with money.
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

I'm still afraid to put it up on deviant, but I think putting it here and photo bucket should be fine. Maybe I'll have some more practices .hack related or not in the future.
d5t

Post by d5t »

Sadivinedevil wrote:I'm still afraid to put it up on deviant, but I think putting it here and photo bucket should be fine. Maybe I'll have some more practices .hack related or not in the future.
CC2 and Namco Bandai lenient about IP rights, especially if it's fan centric. Heck, the terminal disc chapters were uploaded for all to see via Namco Bandai's localization team on Game Trailers... I believe. You aren't gaining anything monetarily, so don't feel threatened at all.
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Rule of thumb: Consider it copyright infringement. So much can be construed as copyright infringement now that you have to ask instead "Are they likely to sue me if I do it?" because in the end that's all that's going to matter anyway.
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

I been kind of touching the picture up since I posted it, and I think I'll post the finished version later. Who cares about copyright because a lot of things today are considered copyright infringement even official things like games, books, and movies. I'll just do what I want and I try not to impede on someone else's work and I should be fine.
d5t

Post by d5t »

Chop out those copyright marks and post it on deviantART. It's fan art, end of story, you're fine. :D If you end up in court, I'll send a team of dothacker lawyer grunties to represent you!
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

I'll worry about it when I am done with the touch ups. Maybe a few weeks from now.