Just How Big is 64 Kilobites?

Discuss anything here

Moderator: Moderators

64k: Big?

NO! Thats like an icon!
25%
Eh, it will do, but nothing special.
No votes
Yeah, its definatly worth finding an extra 64k.
No votes
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! Thats huge!
75%

Total votes: 4

///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317

Just How Big is 64 Kilobites?

Post by ///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317 »

"64KB? thats it? thats nothing. Heck a 3 min MP3 can run you 4 MB."
What if i told you that you could get better than MP3 quality sound for 64Kb. Not just 3 mins, but 15 mins. All for just 64KB. The size of the text of this post is 1.23KB. So, for just 50 times the number of words in this post, you can get 15 mins of breathtaking sound.

but wait, theres more. "More? how can there be more? You used all of your 64KB on the sound!" Nope, theres plenty of room for 15 mins of 3D rendered scenes. "thats crazy. a small image can be as big as 10KB." Your right, but this is 15 mins of 3D rendered scenes at 1600x1200 all for just 64KB.

"But thats it, right? just the music and visual, right?" Nope. that includes textures for those items, items placement, camera movements. All in just 64KB. Thats right, for 64KB u get 15 mins of: Music, 7 individual 3D scenes, textures, models, positions, camera movements, object movements... all in just 64KB.

Now, all this seems far fetched, even if imposible. Many modern games take up many gigs of space, and dont look like this.
"i dont believe it. and besides, I like the GFX in (insert game here)!"
Don't believe?
Believe: http://www.farb-rausch.com/fr08_final.zip
Unzip it. The .exe file is just 64KB.

NOTE: DONT PUSH ESC WHEN IT TELLS YOU TO! Wait untill the screen turns compltly black for 10 seconds. This same guy did some other stuff as well, one specifically that went over the limit. If your interested, I'll provide linkage.

(If you wondering why this doesnt exactly sound like me, its because this is based on something [LBD]ELiTe said)
OrangeSlice

Post by OrangeSlice »

64KiB can be huge or small depending on how you use it :wink:

on another note: wow. damn. wow again.
Cloud

Post by Cloud »

Well I have to say that I am very impressed. They definitely know how to utilize even a small space like 65 kb.

I wasn't expecting much from it, until I saw the video. Wow :D