Personal Life Philosophies

Discuss anything here

Moderator: Moderators

BrinODea

Personal Life Philosophies

Post by BrinODea »

Something I am curious about and also like to learn about, but what are some of the life philosophies that you follow, or least try to follow and why?
Mine is the "Platinum Rule" which is "Treat people how they want to be treated."
This means (to me at least) that everyone wants to be treated good and nice, but there are still differences in those meanings. Some people may not want to be treated the same way as you because of cultural, person, or some other difference. By treating them how they want to be treated, it is easier for both sides to get along.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Re: Personal Life Philosophies

Post by Kaori »

I'm a follower of Issatsu Tasho, the one life for a thousand Philosophy, but I don't necessary have to apply to to simply killing, I tend to view it as making a sacrifice for the betterment of everybody else, I also like to be blunt and straight to the point, if I'm saying nice things to you, that probably means I'm lying, after all:
Onytgvx

Post by Onytgvx »

Honestly, I don't live by any big philosofies.

Though I do believe in "Mind your own business", like some person may be doing something I don't completely agree with, or something I even hate, though if it's not my business I do not interfere, 'tis the best formula to avoid unneeded conflict. I might interfere if it's related to a friend, but that's still a rare occasion. Call me a coward, but that's the way I do things. Never was a fan of fights/arguments, especially for stupid reasons that could have been avoided if I minded my own.
nuhkuhl
Location: In a box with a lock sitting next to a fox sick with pox wearing socks.

Post by nuhkuhl »

I used to subscribe to the mantra of 'do anything you want in life as long as no one gets hurt in the process' but I've come to the understanding that it just isn't a viable or wholly honest way seeing as you can offend someone very easily- and mental strife can be just as devastating as physical. Take the online world, for example: just expressing a simple 'I like this / I don't like this' type of opinion can cause a flame war. Many people are very easily shaken up. It's impossible to say or do anything in a public setting without irking at least one person in some way, shape, or form. Chances are, you won't ever even know that you have offended someone, but you probably did. ...It's very easy to get paranoid over said notion.

I guess now my philosophy has upgraded to 'don't actively try to annoy anyone in particular'.
Onytgvx

Post by Onytgvx »

nuhkuhl wrote:I used to subscribe to the mantra of 'do anything you want in life as long as no one gets hurt in the process' but I've come to the understanding that it just isn't a viable or wholly honest way seeing as you can offend someone very easily- and mental strife can be just as devastating as physical. Take the online world, for example: just expressing a simple 'I like this / I don't like this' type of opinion can cause a flame war. Many people are very easily shaken up. It's impossible to say or do anything in a public setting without irking at least one person in some way, shape, or form. Chances are, you won't ever even know that you have offended someone, but you probably did. ...It's very easy to get paranoid over said notion.

I guess now my philosophy has upgraded to 'don't actively try to annoy anyone in particular'.
Totally agree with this.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

I have a set of rules that I follow, I intend to pass them to my son so he might be able to avoid some of the **** I went through.

1] The only opinions that matter are those of the people you respect.
1.1] Respect yourself.
1.2] Keep that number to a minimum, these people have to earn it, even family.

2] Don't think that everyone you've had a relationship with was someone you loved.
2.1] Once you have found the real deal, the only way you'll know it is from the pain when it's gone. This is sad, but it's something you learn from and it helps you throughout life.

3] Keep your dick clean. (Something I became particular about because of my wife.)

4] Avoid most television.
4.1] News is mostly depressing or filled with shock pieces and is only useful for the weather.
4.2] Never touch "Reality TV".
4.3] The few shows that are actually good are worth it.

5] Always keep your Math and Language skills up. You'll need them in everything.

6] Do what you have an interest in/passion for, or what comes naturally. Not something that makes you unhappy.
6.1] This applies to school as well. The current education system is still based on the concept of education we had in the 1930's, and the entire point of that to produce efficient workers during the industrial revolution. Some people were born to be dancers or dance instructions, others were meant to be musicians, or were even bred to be warriors over thousands of years. Very few schools properly nurture these people demean them with a grading scale that doesn't account for their actual talents or doesn't notice those talents at all.

7] Eat healthy within reason, and exercise regularly.
7.1] Scheduling your exercise prevents you from skipping out on it from laziness, and scheduling it with other people helps even more.

I have more, but I think this is enough for now.
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

Being Noble is all well and good, but sometimes you can't afford not getting your hands dirty.
Also, don't give up on anything because people are discouraging you; just git gud, then prove those fuckers wrong.
Last edited by nobodyknows on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrinODea

Post by BrinODea »

Wow... I feel like I know understand everyone a lot more, thanks for the info, very interesting! Anyways, I feel like I should go a little more in-depth with my life philosophy.
To keep it simple, I believe in understanding. Through understanding one can then make judgements, plus tolerance can also come. However, just because I understand or at least attempt to understand you, does not mean that I respect you or believe that you deserve to even live.
A few of my old friends were massive bible preachers, (which I have nothing against religion) but they have bad knack of being extremely sexist/racist/etc... I used to believe in tolerance until I found myself actually destroying my friends religion because I was tired of him belittling my fiancee, my best friends (because one is black and the other was from India) and justifying it with false arguments. Like I said, I'm not against religion by any means, I study a varied of religions, but there is point that you eventually need to realize that just because it is written down doesn't mean it is correct.
I also have no tolerance for human traffickers/rapists. It just might be how I taught/trained, but nothing boils my blood faster than that thought.
Going back to the idea of understanding, I feel that if more people took the time to understand each other, than a number of our conflicts and wars could easily be avoided, but because people discriminate with no real basis, this will not happen soon.

If the world took more time to understand what was truly happening and attempted to at least think about someone else, then things like money, religion, respect, and so on would take on a whole new meaning. I feel that because people need to be "superior" to others, that "white and blue" collar workers almost take on an early 1900's America with how divided some people a treated. A doctor and a janitor maybe on completely different working levels, but if the doctor does not wish to do the janitors job, than they have no right to judge or diminish the janitor. On a wider scale, a society needs to work together, everyone plays and equal write, no matter how big or small their role may seem, it is still as equally important as any other. Even age doesn't matter to me. I talk to people aging from 3-93, and I learn from all of them equally. The older people teach me about mistake that one makes in their life, while the younger ones teach me the innocence of life. Because of this I believe that everyone starts life with equal respect, but depending on their actions they lose it. Before I felt that people needed to earn my respect, but found that by doing this, I was just being a hypocrite, because I was basically judging a book by its cover. By giving everyone equal respect at start, I feel that this always me to learn much about myself and them, instead of forcing them to prove who they are. If their going to lose my respect, they will do very quickly.

Wow... I feel like that is a lot of stuff that I completely explain... If you have a hard time understanding, I will be more than happy to explain it.
VIZGIX

Quotes that inpire me and my philisophical take on the world

Post by VIZGIX »

"Be an Idealist when you can afford to be, and a realist when you have to be." - me

He who feared he would not succeed sat still. - latin phrase

"It takes an idiot to do cool things, thats why its cool." -FLCL

"Fortune favors the bold" - Virgil I think

"Success (or any goal) is merely a destination. As long as you get there, the road you take is irrelevant." -me

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. - latin phrase

facta non verba
Actions, not words

"Bringing people together is gods work, but parting is something we humans do ourselves" - .hack//sign

faber est quisque fortunae suae
every man is architect of his own fortune
BrinODea

Re: Quotes that inpire me and my philisophical take on the w

Post by BrinODea »

VIZGIX wrote:"Be an Idealist when you can afford to be, and a realist when you have to be." - me

He who feared he would not succeed sat still. - latin phrase

"It takes an idiot to do cool things, thats why its cool." -FLCL

"Fortune favors the bold" - Virgil I think

"Success (or any goal) is merely a destination. As long as you get there, the road you take is irrelevant." -me

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. - latin phrase

facta non verba
Actions, not words

"Bringing people together is gods work, but parting is something we humans do ourselves" - .hack//sign

faber est quisque fortunae suae
every man is architect of his own fortune
Very nice philosophies! Some of the ones you came up with are very interesting.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Also, don't needlessly discriminate. People are people.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

As my professor used to say;

"In a philosophical race, the one who crosses the lines last, wins"

Now this quote has multiple meanings and interpretations. Of course there is the humorous side of it, but I like it a lot because it really taught me to live my life at my own pace. Up until my first year of uni I was always comparing my performances to other people, it was a no-stop race for me to keep up and outperform others (and naturally my life was difficult because of it). However, since then I re-evaluated my ideals and learned to stop giving a s**t about what other people think or do. I have my own life and my own goals, I should approach them the way that best suits me and take as much time as I need. Thats my personal code (for the past 3 years at least), dont rush things and dont compare yourself to others because everyone is so different. Life is not a race, the 'winner' is the one who achieves his ambitions and wishes, not the one who gets there first.
BrinODea

Post by BrinODea »

Vallen wrote:As my professor used to say;

"In a philosophical race, the one who crosses the lines last, wins"

Now this quote has multiple meanings and interpretations. Of course there is the humorous side of it, but I like it a lot because it really taught me to live my life at my own pace. Up until my first year of uni I was always comparing my performances to other people, it was a no-stop race for me to keep up and outperform others (and naturally my life was difficult because of it). However, since then I re-evaluated my ideals and learned to stop giving a s**t about what other people think or do. I have my own life and my own goals, I should approach them the way that best suits me and take as much time as I need. Thats my personal code (for the past 3 years at least), dont rush things and dont compare yourself to others because everyone is so different. Life is not a race, the 'winner' is the one who achieves his ambitions and wishes, not the one who gets there first.
Excellent point. I learned the same thing when I went into college. All of my friends started a little ahead of me because I had to retake a class or two, but now I'm actually a semester ahead because I took my time and learned all the basic and fundamentals. Now they are repeating the higher levels classes, while I am passing them the first time through. Of course I'm still going to be in school for about another 1.5-2 years but still, the experience I am having is well worth it!