Getting new phone - Help?

Discuss anything here

Moderator: Moderators

AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Getting new phone - Help?

Post by AZURE-KITE »

As the title says, i might be getting a new phone this Tuesday and i might need a recommendation. I'm looking for something good, but still not too expensive; i was looking for the Samsung Galaxy Ace, it looks good and it has android 2.3 just what i need, works good and i tested it once. Although i haven't seen any other phones, so that's why I'm asking for your help.

You guys have anything for me? From recommendations to prices and quality, all help it is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Re: Getting new phone - Help?

Post by shugo_lover »

I have an at&t pay as you go phone which is nice to have in my opinion. It's not big and fancy but since I'm not to hooked on technology it's perfect for me. The phone its self is only about thirty dollars and every month I only pay $50 for unlimited call, text, and internet. Compared to those fancy phone it's a really good deal and you don't get tied into any two year contracts. So, if you're unhappy with it you can quit your plan when ever you want and not get charged.
zerokoolpsx

Post by zerokoolpsx »

You may want to go for an unlocked smart phone because they will push the data plan on you which is another $30 to $40 on top of the rest of your phone bill and the bandwidth caps. Also two year contract with it. Shop around first before buying anything.
A friend of mine has a pay as you go smartphone that costs $50 per month that includes the data plan. Not sure about their bandwidth cap or if its unlimited.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Thank you all for your help ^^, well considering things in here aren't the same as in there(country gap u.u) I was looking at the data plans and all and i found some good ones, as for the phone and my current money(Mom decided to help me out because of the dollar cost rise) I though a Samsung would be good, I'm deciding in wich because I'm planning to play some videogames on it(that's mainly the reason I'm buying it lol) and browse faster also implies. But anyways, you guys helped me out~ ^^ thank you so much.

P.S. looking at it... How does Samsung Galaxy Ace looks? Is it good enough?(Sorry i got a recommendation from a friend but haven't seen it as well though)
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

A Samsung Galaxy Ace is good, but my recommendation for you would be to get a Samsung Galaxy Ace II, or a Samsung Galaxy S3. They're the best and most updated Samsung phones right now. Sure, the original Ace is great and would be definetly good for you when it comes to gaming, apps, fast browsing and all things you could look for in a smartphone, however it's kinda outdated already, and while having Android 2.3 right now is just perfect and everything is compatible with it, it won't be as much when they start releasing games and apps only compatible with Android 4.0+. If you really want a good phone and are willing to spend some money on it, then i'd say it's best to spend a little more on a phone that'll last you for a longer time, than get a slightly cheaper one that'll be considered as "old" in about a year. Both Ace II and S3 come with Android 4.0 and can be updated to further 4.x versions, and Android is already working on a 5th version.

It might also be a good choice to see the options in the data plans/contracts of your country. In Mexico for example, the best thing to do is buy a data plan, since they give you a new phone for just $100; for example the data plans right now give you a Galaxy Tab or a iPhone 5 for $100 right away as you sign the contract (and the contract is free at the moment, then you pay $40+ monthly depending on the plan you choose). But from what i can read here, apparently in USA is better to get a "pay as you go" phone instead of a data plan...which in Mexico is a BAD idea unless you NEVER want to use internet, or pay up to $200 monthly D: I don't know how it is in your country, but it would be nice to check it out.