Gun Laws

Discuss anything here

Moderator: Moderators

shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Gun Laws

Post by shugo_lover »

A lot of controversy has been going around about the guns laws and I want to know what you think of them. This is probably going to start up an uproar and if it does I apologize.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Re: Gun Laws

Post by Erranty »

Doesn't affect me, I'm an Archer.

But judging from the arguments I've seen, all the evidence points to the need for high regulation with mandatory gun education and the requirement to have at least a rifle in every home. Much like Switzerland. The whole reason the Swiss can afford to be so neutral is because their entire population is their emergency defense force. Not to mention that Switzerland boasts the lowest percentage of gun crimes in the world because of it! That being said, they also have better healthcare, including mental screenings which are becoming more and more necessary in the United States.

There have been jokes on some web comics about switching to crossbows and things like that. Like I mentioned, I'm an Archer, I can hit a bullseye from 140 yards using my compound with relative ease. When it comes to something within 20 yards, I can loose a new arrow within 3 seconds if firing the last one and still hit my mark.

It doesn't matter what the government decides if they can't get it into their heads that the people are to blame, not the weapons.
SCP-173

Post by SCP-173 »

if only the government knew how to put regulations on people.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

SCP-173 wrote:if only the government knew how to put regulations on people.
...I'm really hoping that's sarcasm.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

I like guns. Especially sniper rifles. I want to become a sniper someday C:
...No, seriously. I'm actually considering taking sniper classes sometime in the future. Even if it's just to shoot random lifeless objects twice per year, my love for such kind of weapon is THAT much. lol

Now regarding gun laws and these things US people have been crying about since the last several shootings, it is true that the ones to blame are the people, not the guns. The guns are just a means for them to achieve their purpose (kill people and cause damage and chaos and stuffz); take away all the guns, but leave people in the same way with the same mentallity, and they'll just find another means to do it, with different but equally destructive weapons and tools. And seriously, it's IMPOSSIBLE to suddenly remove all weapons and prevent every single person from having one...you can put as many restrictive laws as possible but the only thing you'd achieve is to make innocent people more defenseless while real criminals remain pretty much unaffected.

What needs to change aren't the gun laws, but the people. Give them a better education about guns and prevent the shootings from the very core that gives them a reason to do it, not by just removing the guns. And if there's a gun law that needs to be changed, then it should be one to allow every person/family to have a gun. In a society where shootings are common, alot of people die because they're defenseless in front of a gun, and everyone is scared of them, the best thing to do is take away those fears and allow them to defend themselves. If anything, it'd work as a deterrent; people would be less likely to shoot others by knowing they're all able to shoot back. Of course, that could also lead to more gun crimes and shootings, but it's not as bad as people believe it'd be (like some Wild West thing where everyone just shoots each other), and again, it isn't the law that'll change people and fix everything, it's the people that need to bring about such change.

And while i'm not a US citizen to speak about your laws and what needs or doesn't need to be changed, i am a citizen of a country that opted for making VERY restrictive gun laws to fix the problem, making it pretty much impossible for a normal person to have a gun. And did it work? ON THE FUC­KING CONTRARY. It didn't stop the shootings in the middle of streets that can still happen as an everyday's thing. It didn't stop any of the shootings i've witnessned at places within walking distance of my house. And it didn't stop my mom and bro, and other members of my family, getting assaulted at point-blank range. It just made us entirely defenseless in the middle of a war that none of us caused or asked for, but still pay the price for it. Of course, our goverment has done a thousand other things to ruin our lives, including the drug war itself, so there are plenty of other reasons to our problems. But this is just an example that making restrictive gun laws is NOT the solution; sure enough, the people are the ones that need to change and not the laws, but DON'T make laws that'll just make things worse and will end up with more crimes and more dead innocents D:
shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Post by shugo_lover »

Erranty wrote:Doesn't affect me, I'm an Archer.

But judging from the arguments I've seen, all the evidence points to the need for high regulation with mandatory gun education and the requirement to have at least a rifle in every home. Much like Switzerland. The whole reason the Swiss can afford to be so neutral is because their entire population is their emergency defense force. Not to mention that Switzerland boasts the lowest percentage of gun crimes in the world because of it! That being said, they also have better healthcare, including mental screenings which are becoming more and more necessary in the United States.

There have been jokes on some web comics about switching to crossbows and things like that. Like I mentioned, I'm an Archer, I can hit a bullseye from 140 yards using my compound with relative ease. When it comes to something within 20 yards, I can loose a new arrow within 3 seconds if firing the last one and still hit my mark.

It doesn't matter what the government decides if they can't get it into their heads that the people are to blame, not the weapons.
I'm an archer too and so it doesn't greatly affect me either. However, I find it interesting how people suddenly think that the government is trying to take us over by taking away guns or trying to limit gun use. If that's the case then I'm prepared with bow. I think people fail to realize that there are other weapons in the world besides guns.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

shugo_lover wrote:I'm an archer too and so it doesn't greatly affect me either. However, I find it interesting how people suddenly think that the government is trying to take us over by taking away guns or trying to limit gun use. If that's the case then I'm prepared with bow. I think people fail to realize that there are other weapons in the world besides guns.
The only inconvenience I can really see is how troublesome it is to carry and hide a large weapon compared to a pistol, even a bow you can disassemble is cumbersome with it's arrows. Though if you've ever watched "We need to talk about Kevin." its obvious that the size and hiding a weapon isn't really that hindering.

With the govt. planning on banning Assault weapons again, the only thing it'll really affect is my FPSRussia videos. But in recent proposals they're even targeting certain Shotguns! That's just plain overreaching.
SCP-173

Post by SCP-173 »

Erranty wrote:
...I'm really hoping that's sarcasm.[/quote.

It is.

Im saying why don't they just. Forget democracy for a bit. Cause its not stoppong crimes
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

SCP-173 wrote:
Erranty wrote:
...I'm really hoping that's sarcasm.[/quote.]

It is.

I'm saying why don't they just. Forget democracy for a bit. Cause its not stopping crimes
I don't even consider this a democracy anymore anyway. They're ignoring the will of the people in favor of the businesses they lobby for.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Erranty wrote:
SCP-173 wrote:
Erranty wrote:
...I'm really hoping that's sarcasm.[/quote.]

It is.

I'm saying why don't they just. Forget democracy for a bit. Cause its not stopping crimes
I don't even consider this a democracy anymore anyway. They're ignoring the will of the people in favor of the businesses they lobby for.
That pretty much explains the economy and the job market.
SCP-173

Post by SCP-173 »

I know the only thing were good for is getting involved in other countries' buisness
Furie

Post by Furie »

I'm in agreement with theSorrow. It isn't the guns that are the problem- it's the people.

What needs to be addressed is the mental health of people. Sure, education about guns will help, too, but I don't think that's the major issue here. Mentally stable people with guns don't shoot up schools, even if they don't know much about the gun itself. And a mentally unstable person with gun knowledge is probably the most terrifying of both situations.
BrinODea

Post by BrinODea »

Lets put it this way, take the guns away from people, who still has them? They people that shouldn't! Why? Because, if they're not going to follow the law for other things like drugs and such, why would they give up their guns? I'm not saying that if everyone has a gun problem solved, but are you more or less likely to attack someone if they are carrying a weapon that they have been trained to use? I greatly enjoy shooting my guns and do plan to eventually get a concealed weapons permit, but that's for Judge and/or my .357 magnum.
What I don't understand is why someone needs a fully automatic weapon. If you're a hunter, the less you shoot the better, and you fill something full of holes, then you've just wasted a life and a resources. If you can't kill a deer with one round (two at most) then you shouldn't be hunting, or you just don't respect life.
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

iirc my dad has a shotgun and some air rifles down in the country. He mentioned something about British gun laws once when he was showing me how to use them, but I can't remember much outside of 'you need a license' and 'never aim a gun at a public right of way', both of which are pretty gosh darn obvious anyway.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Banning guns shall do nothing. Criminals don't follow laws anyway. Someway or another a criminals shall get weapons. There should be no ban on guns as people need them to defend themselves. It is no sin to defend oneself or love ones.
BrinODea

Post by BrinODea »

zaseo wrote:Banning guns shall do nothing. Criminals don't follow laws anyway. Someway or another a criminals shall get weapons. There should be no ban on guns as people need them to defend themselves. It is no sin to defend oneself or love ones.
Exactly!