Terminal Disk

Roy Mustang

Terminal Disk

Post by Roy Mustang »

I would like to know if the Terminal Disk ONLY follows the Special Edition of the game. If it does, I would like to register a major complaint about it. I'm from Brazil, and it is very hard for us to buy original games here(as the prices are absurd). Yet, there are series in which I don't mind spending more money. However, with this only-buy-the-special-edition-on-Gamestop-or-Ebgames-thing, I (along with many other fans) will not be able to enjoy what th Terminal Disk has to offer, as these stores do not provide us the possibility of buying such product. I honestly don't mind about not having an action figure, bur the Terminal Disk is said to be really interesting. Before I become more pissed, I would like to know if the fact is true or not.
d5t

Post by d5t »

"This time around, since we’re trying to attract new players, even early adopters, and such, [we’re] trying to make everything as easy as possible, without having to go to secondary media for information and such, so, with that said, people get to jump in and watch it through the game without having to [say], ‘Oh, I gotta watch the DVD to find out what to do next.’ We kind of tried to avoid that. And, also, too, there’s enough animation and content, stuff like that, in the game itself... so that kind of adds to the whole animation experience, right there."

http://www.dothackers.net/localization_interview.php

I guess the feedback they got regarding the past games with liminality wasn't good. So who's to blame?
Roy Mustang

Post by Roy Mustang »

But wait a moment: if they're appealing to new players, wouldn't it be better that the regular version came with the Terminal Disk (as it is said to contain videos from the previous games to help new players view the facts of the previous games)?
d5t

Post by d5t »

Roy Mustang wrote:But wait a moment: if they're appealing to new players, wouldn't it be better that the regular version came with the Terminal Disk (as it is said to contain videos from the previous games to help new players view the facts of the previous games)?
No, because they're appealing to an entirely new fanbase first. Those who want the disc have been (on the whole) fans of the past series. If you're in Brazil, the U.S. localization team will have nothing to do with the version you'll be getting. Unless you're importing... So I'd wait before lynching.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Except, according to Hiroshi Matsuyama, the point of the first four Terminal Disc files was so that those newcomers would be able to understand things completely without needing to buy the first four games. I don't think the reason they gave is very good, at the very least the original logic behind the thing contradicts it. Though if you think of the special edition as the game, and the normal version as a "budget copy", then I think it makes sense. Games are generally $50, and it was even more in Japan...

Another note is that if you live in a Western country, generally, the U.S. localization team has everything to do with what you get. You end up with a translation of the English version, and double-localization, let alone double-translation, is a terrible concept...
Roy Mustang

Post by Roy Mustang »

Thank you all, you have cleared my doubts, except for one: why in the world only Gamestop and EBgames sell this special version? Even Amazon.com doesn't even mention it... I think it's kind of unfair, to let a product be sold in only two stores (and two stores that have very similar webpages, by the way). And d5t, it's true that the version that we, people from South America, receive is the American version, which means that the US team has everything to do with it, as Kuukai wisely said. Well, I guess there is nothing I can do now, except regret not living in the US at moments like these...
d5t

Post by d5t »

We're not talking about translation, but just the packaged in disc that really doesn't add any more value except for previous fans. Japanese gamers and American gamers... I don't have to stress that they have different tastes in games, attention spans etc. Atari took care of the distribution in Europe and other areas for the previous games. So I'd think that their whole PR and dev team will re evaluate the demographic and feedback they got from European fans, etc. So besides the game being in English, I don't think the U.S. localization team can say much about how it can be distributed and what goodies/addons will appeal to the fans in other x regions.
bigjoecool
Location: Root Town Brew City (Milwaukee, WI) Keywords: Stumbling Drunkass Eastsider

Post by bigjoecool »

What version of the game do they sell in brazil? U.S. or Japanese?
d5t

Post by d5t »

It's not out yet in other regions. The U.S. localization team took into consideration some of the comments and feedback and that's why we have less "external" media, and more internal stuff like online jack to add on to my rant. Integration = sexy.
Roy Mustang

Post by Roy Mustang »

bigjoecool wrote:What version of the game do they sell in brazil? U.S. or Japanese?
The U.S. version. The problem here is the price of the games. They can cost a total amount of U$90. It's outrageous! That's why there's so much piracy around...
Suyo

Post by Suyo »

How do you unlock things on the terminal disk? Do you jsut play the game and then go back to the disk from time to time?
Kouen
The Crimson Dusk
The Crimson Dusk

Post by Kouen »

Well the Terminal Disk doesn't really make a big difference to me anymore. The gameplay is enough to satisfy me, besides I can suck the Terminal Disk information out of you guys. The Haseo figure looks kind of ugly too <_<. Yes I was one of those that didnt get SE.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

The internal stuff was all there to begin with. I'm not particularly itching to defend the localization team, since they called Rena "Lena" and committed a host of other mistranslation atrocities causing me to garner a new respect for the original translation team, which only really made like one... I guess players in different countries are different, but I doubt anyone doesn't like getting bonus media. I find it very hard to imagine the average American opening up a DVD set, finding a "Behind The Scenes" disc, and then rolling around on the floor foaming at the mouth in a mixture of rage, fear, and confusion... It's a ridiculous explanation, let's just leave it at that...
And the way the American release is organized, not just the translation, is brought over into other versions. You can see this with the way GIFT was distributed, I believe, and also just with covers... The Japanese Wind Waker cover is completely different from the American, UK, and French ones, which are all the same...
d5t

Post by d5t »

Kouen wrote:Well the Terminal Disk doesn't really make a big difference to me anymore. The gameplay is enough to satisfy me, besides I can suck the Terminal Disk information out of you guys. The Haseo figure looks kind of ugly too <_<. Yes I was one of those that didnt get SE.
Don't worry about it, it's overrated. :) Kuukai, if the demographic responded well to the external media from the previous games, I bet whoever in charge will think twice about the terminal disc being packaged in all versions or not. It all comes down to that.
Ryuuken

Post by Ryuuken »

hi, I´m from Germany... how's the Terminal disk like, r there some screenshots online? is there anything interesting on that Terminal disk, I wanna see something