Data Drain Infection Rate

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 3 and 4

Moderator: Moderators

shadow of skeith

Data Drain Infection Rate

Post by shadow of skeith »

The only factor in the game that pissed me off the most. It's bascially a gambling machine since things happen randomly whenever the infection rate rose to a certain level. When I got to red though, I kept on getting game over, especially on dungeons with data bugs in every room. I'd be happy if it took one of my items, or declined my level by one, but GAME OVER sucks the most. Maybe I'm just unlucky. How about you guys?
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: Data Drain Infection Rate

Post by TheSorrow »

I only had problems with it in 2 areas (even though i got to red very often on Outbreak and Quarantine XD)...the dungeon before Cubia's final battle and the last dungeon in the game to save Mia. Around 12 floors, filled with Data Bugs all over, and some were VERY long floors with even 6 forced battles with 3 Data Bugs each XP I got about 2 gameovers on each xD
But for me, it was very fun and maybe the most challenging thing in all .Hack games released. You had to deal with tolerances to get them to Protect Break, use Data Drain only for getting the lowest infection rate, then do everything to make Kite deal the final blow to decrease the infection in some little amount (since it's impossible to pass through without decreasing it at times, unless you're very lucky for over 10 battles). And of course, the Data Bugs would also be strong monsters by themselves, and if you were careless you wouldn't last long. And seeing a battle with 3 non-Data Bug monsters by the last floors (so you don't have to DD and you can decrease the infection) was like finding the Key of Twilight XD
shadow of skeith

Post by shadow of skeith »

TheSorrow wrote:I only had problems with it in 2 areas (even though i got to red very often on Outbreak and Quarantine XD)...the dungeon before Cubia's final battle and the last dungeon in the game to save Mia. Around 12 floors, filled with Data Bugs all over, and some were VERY long floors with even 6 forced battles with 3 Data Bugs each XP I got about 2 gameovers on each xD
But for me, it was very fun and maybe the most challenging thing in all .Hack games released. You had to deal with tolerances to get them to Protect Break, use Data Drain only for getting the lowest infection rate, then do everything to make Kite deal the final blow to decrease the infection in some little amount (since it's impossible to pass through without decreasing it at times, unless you're very lucky for over 10 battles). And of course, the Data Bugs would also be strong monsters by themselves, and if you were careless you wouldn't last long. And seeing a battle with 3 non-Data Bug monsters by the last floors (so you don't have to DD and you can decrease the infection) was like finding the Key of Twilight XD
Oh, I know!!! Seeing regular monsters on one of the last floors was a santuary. Still, the dissapointing thing about the dungeon you're in to save mia, the last boss, the Dawn Wanderer, in both forms, was EASY TO BEAT!!!!! After all of that hard work, it took less than two minutes to beat it. I swear, CC2 loves to be cheap.
TheEnigma
The Beholder of Chaos
The Beholder of Chaos

Post by TheEnigma »

TheSorrow wrote:I only had problems with it in 2 areas (even though i got to red very often on Outbreak and Quarantine XD)...the dungeon before Cubia's final battle and the last dungeon in the game to save Mia. Around 12 floors, filled with Data Bugs all over, and some were VERY long floors with even 6 forced battles with 3 Data Bugs each XP I got about 2 gameovers on each xD

Finding those non Data bugs to me was like finding jesus' tomb or like i just ascended to god hood. Thats how great that felt. Then the feeling went away as data bugs were waiting for me in the next floor.
Altre

Post by Altre »

I tried to run through those dungeons for a while, but I saw what they were doing and said "Codebreaker time!" I know, cheap.
Azure Ace

Post by Azure Ace »

*Gulp* Its really that hard?! Aaaaaargh!!!!! I was hoping I could just keep leveling up and praying like mad, but apparently not... Would someone mind posting a tip? I don't wanna die with "DD SPAMMER" stamped across my face. Actually, I'd rather not die at all. Aaaaaanyway...
----------------------------------------------------------------------Tips Plz!---------------------------------------------------------------
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Generally, just don't use Data Drain too often. Fight enough monsters to lower your Infection rate to a safe Blue-Green range.

For the harder dungeons (especially the last one), just get lucky and fight non-Data Bugged monsters when you can. Also, don't bother exploring the entire dungeon; just get to the lowest level as quickly as possible.
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Anime Monkey wrote:Generally, just don't use Data Drain too often. Fight enough monsters to lower your Infection rate to a safe Blue-Green range.

For the harder dungeons (especially the last one), just get lucky and fight non-Data Bugged monsters when you can. Also, don't bother exploring the entire dungeon; just get to the lowest level as quickly as possible.
Basically, getting lucky is your only option.

Here's another tip: Before you enter a field with the harder dungeons in it, go to another high-level field and fight regular monsters to lower the infection rate as low as possible, to the point at where the picture of Kite's PC is completely dark blue. Then continue fighting regular monsters just to give you a cushion, before you enter the field where the harder dungeons are. Keep in mind, this won't garantee you a "safe and pleasent" trip though. GOOD LUCK. :)
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

go to another high-level field and fight regular monsters to lower the infection rate as low as possible
It doesn't have to be high-level, and i recommend it to be a low-level field, actually. The deal with the infection rate decrease is that, whenever Kite delivers the final blow with a non-skill attack (not sure if it can be an attack skill or not, but it doesn't work if it's a spell), the infection rate will decrease, so you can go to a lv5 field and kill everything with little pokes and have your infection rate decrease alot faster than it increased.

And the best tip in the hardest dungeons ever is to use a Fairy Orb on each floor, to know the fastest route to the end, ONLY go through that route so you fight the least amount of enemies, always use Data Drain only, and once the target can be killed, have Kite deliver the final blow.
Altre

Post by Altre »

Don't fret though, it's probably not as hard as I thought it was. But then again, what should I know about infection levels, I had cheats son!
S. [Burned] Y.

Post by S. [Burned] Y. »

If Kite is at level 99, it felt like the infection rate was a lot slower to red. At least that's what it felt to me.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Well, i finished it as a Low Level Game when i played it (and i've only played it once)...though it wasn't really as low, since thanks to ALOT of forced battling i was like lv88 on the last dungeon before Cubia >~> And for the very last dungeon, i reached lv99 on B10 or so. And i was already in Red anyhow, so well, i can't tell for sure if the Infection Rate goes slower or not, but most likely it does :P
hanoodles

Post by hanoodles »

i found that it did go slower
twilight_keeper

Post by twilight_keeper »

Regardless of whether it goes slower or not, that last dungeon is still RIDICULOUS when it comes to infection rate. In fact, it took me about 15 tries doing that freakin' dungeon, getting to the 14th floor, and getting System Errored due to infection, and then starting all over again. I'm pretty sure that dungeon is a matter of getting lucky and getting some rooms with treasure portals, or (even better) rooms with monsters that AREN'T data bugs... *whew* Now that my rant is over about that, on to more important matters. *mumbles* stupid infection rate...
bloodwolf2a2

Post by bloodwolf2a2 »

For some reason that didn't happen to me on that last dungeon I would fight two data bug rooms in a row and then three normal monsters the highest I got to in that dungeon was yellow.
twilight_keeper

Ur insanely lucky then. I got a data bug in EVERY room for the first 5 floors, got a quick relief of a couple normal monsters, then MORE data bugs, usually 2-3 to a room!
bloodwolf2a2

Post by bloodwolf2a2 »

I had some of those rooms to with three data bugs in them it was a huge pain to go through it so I leveld all of my charecters to level 99 before I did that so it made it easy and with Sora's blades I did a lot of damage.
twilight_keeper

The level of your character didn't matter in that dungeon. I was max level using Kite, Helba, and Tsukasa all maxed with level 99 rare weapons. That doesn't change the fact that if you fight 27 data bugs in a row, your infection rate goes through the roof. That never changes. It may go slightly slower, but being max level with max equipment doesn't affect your drain rate.
bloodwolf2a2

Post by bloodwolf2a2 »

But it was good for fighting Mia in the end but your right that you don't need to be maxed out on level really it was lucjy that I made it through on the first time with that not happening to me.
twilight_keeper

I was almost too pissed at the end of my 15th playthrough to care about her coming back. But it was a nice touch.