End of Cubia?? Caution you are about to enter a spoiler zone

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 3 and 4

Moderator: Moderators

Beowulf

End of Cubia?? Caution you are about to enter a spoiler zone

Post by Beowulf »

Alright here is the deal. After defeating Cubia and understanding how he came to be and the only way to theoretically kill him, I have this to ask.

If Cubia was created because he is the shadow of the power of the bracelet and that to destroy the shadow you must create light, then has he really been destroyed? When Aura re-created the bracelet and gave it back to Kite, then shouldn't Cubia have been brought back to life? Cubia was only destroyed due to the fact that the bracelet was also destroyed. So, wouldn't that mean that when the bracelet is re-created that Cubia is also re-created as a direct result? If the light is brought back then so is the shadow.

I know that he doesn't come back, for I have beaten the game a long time ago, but this just popped into my mind. I am of the opinion that this is never fully explained and that this information was left out and I view this info to be important. If my suspicion is true, then the end wasn't really the end and that we were left with an incomplete conclusion. Please feel free to give your analysis, opinion, and remarks on the matter.
Last edited by Beowulf on Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
southprk256

Post by southprk256 »

This whole thing with the bracelet, cubia, and aura makes my head hurt somewhat. Thanks for clarifying that for us though Beowulf
DragoZERO

Post by DragoZERO »

i believe the answer is the difference in the book of twilights...the final at the end of quarantine is named daylight...or something to that affect. therefore, this newer book eliminates cubia's existence. plus the wave is gone as well. so yeah...that makes sense.
phant@m

Post by phant@m »

ok heres the bit with Cubia. If u havent read it in the fourth disk for Liminality ( i think i spelled it right) then ill refresh your memory.  Cubia was a program created for the sole purpose of attacking and deleting characters with illegal properties, namely Kite. Since it only chased after Kite because of the bracelet it pretty much self terminated its existance after the bracelet was destroyed. Since Shogu from Legend was given the bracelet AFTER the events of Quarantine, the Cubia program was already deleted. Thats my theory.

Edit: Added spoiler coding. Just a reminder, if you have doubts whether or not you should add spoilers. Then it is best to be safe and add spoilers, it doesn't hurt to be cautious. Beowulf
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Hey, glad to see everone's input so far and all your different theories on the fate of Cubia.
I have indeed read the Easter Egg for the fourth Liminality disk and how Cubia  was originally an anti-hacker program and that is why he kept on attacking Kite. The thing that puzzled me though was the whole bracelet being the light and Cubia being the shadow part. I was wondering if perhaps when Aura reconstructed the data for the bracelet, she also in the process accidently reconstructed Cubia by reconstructing the bracelet. If you create light, do you not also create a shadow? I do admit that there may have been a way that the bracelet was constructed differently or that perhaps Cubia was totally destroyed. But.....you are still creating light. So perhaps instead of bringing Cubia back to life, then was there perhaps a new threat created? It is entirely possible.
Well, those are just my thoughts on the matter. Whether or not they hold any water or not, well.....that is debatable. And please do continue sharing your thoughts, opinions, dissertations, theories, whatever you want to call them.
phant@m

Post by phant@m »

i never read that part about light and shadow.

But from what i read Aura never modified the bracelet, she couldn't since Morganna restricted her abilities to alter any kind of program code cause Aura was a threat to Morganna. Cubia would have chased after anyone who held the bracelet no matter what modifications were made. If Cubia was a anti-hacker program then why didnt it attack or chase helba. Everyone knows that she is also a illegal character.
Caranthir

Post by Caranthir »

I think all of this points to a .Hack//Online, with us, the players betaing Cubia. :p Besides, You don't need to Data Drain Cubia, he just has high HP :p
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Cubia definitely was an anti-hacker program. In fact, here is the entire description of Cubia, verbatim, from the fourth //Liminality disk.

Cubia

Morganna could anticipate human behavior and plan ahead. One example of this was Cubia, a monster designed to balance the game against hackers and edited character data.

Cubia was meant to seek out malicious players with illegal abilities or items like the Bracelet and Data Drain them, deleting their PC files. Until Kite received the "Book of Twilight" and the Bracelet, no players fitting this description had appeared, so Cubia had not been seen. Once the Bracelet became active, Cubia sought Kite whenever he came in contact with Aura, because it believed Kite was a threat to the system, to which Aura belonged. Cubia did not attempt to attack Aura or the malfunctioning Morganna because it saw both Morganna and Aura as parts of the game world.

Cubia disappeared when Kite destroyed the Bracelet because the danger to the system was removed and its job was done. Cubia remains in the system, however, and should something new appear that threatens game balance it will launch again. Cubia adopted Kite's character data every time that it was launched and was able to keep pace with Kite's increasing powers.

On this //Liminality disk there is an easter egg that explains what all the phases were originally before Morganna corrupted them and other little goodies. So if you want you can check yourself to see all the different descriptions.

Now as to why it never attacked Helba...I have no idea why it didn't and that is something that I have questioned myself. As you can see in the description of Cubia, it is suppose to go after hackers and other malicious players, but for some reason it only attacks Kite and it was first activated when Kite gained the Twilight Bracelet. Kite having the bracelet had an enormous amount of power to wreak havoc in "The World". As Aura said, it can bring either salvation or destruction at the whim of the user. Having such an item as the Twilight Bracelet is why Kite was being attacked and why Cubia was activated. As powerful as Helba was, she simply did not have that sort of power, and that is why she wasn't attacked.

That is the only explanation that I can come up with.
Lotus

Post by Lotus »

Massive spoiler warning! Do not read unless you wish to know EVERYTHING in project.hack explained! The Reason Cubia dosent attack Helba is because she dosent pose a threat to the system. Kite was attacked everytime he came into contact with the incomplete "ultimate AI." Cubia, I believe, is Harald's insurance. Before Morganna malfuctioned her purpose was to be the "mother figure" and "give birth" to Aura. She brought Tsukasa into The World because he had a troubled past and was very depressed so that he would keep Aura negative and she would never have been born. When Morganna realized she had failed in her attempt to prevent Aura's awakening she used the phases against Aura. Originally, the phases were supposed to collect data on human emotions and Aura was supposed to Data Drain them to add their programs to herself. Morganna used Sora as Skeith's body because Skeith was to understand the concept of death. Morganna restricted Aura' abilities and did not allow her to use data drain so Aura searched for a worthy player. She had files on "Th Descendents of Fianna" and decided on one of them. She happened to find Orca first. When Skeith took Orca, Aura's only choice was Kite so she changed her power into an installation book so that morganna wouldnt know what it was and gave it to kite. When Skeith was finally defeated, there was suddenly a threat to the bith of Aura, as she was intended to data drain the phases not Kite. So the Cubia program launched when Kite came in contact with Aura. In destroying the bracelet Kite defeated Cubia but did not delete it. When Aura was "born" with the death of Corbenik3 she absorbed Morganna and Harald's goal was accomplished. All this was accordint to the Epitaph of Twilight because Aura was a symbol of Harald's love for Emma. If Aura were ever broken again Cubia would launch and destroy the threat. One thing still confuses me though. If all the phases are in accordance to the Epitaph and Lios, The King Of Light, is the codename for a sys admin, then wouldnt that make Helba an NPC?..
Caranthir

Post by Caranthir »

No, Lios was human, but he took part of the sys admin.
Lotus

Post by Lotus »

I never said Lios wasnt human. Lios was a codename. Helba says that in part 2. I was just thinking that maybe helba is a program and not a player-character.
FLARE of the Crimson Flam
Location: Making deals with higher beings, and chasing Amit Paul down.

Post by FLARE of the Crimson Flam »

Lotus wrote:I never said Lios wasnt human. Lios was a codename. Helba says that in part 2. I was just thinking that maybe helba is a program and not a player-character.
Wrong, wrong, wrong she is a hacker not a program
MasterKite
Location: Trying to master the art of walking on water..so far..unsuccessful

Post by MasterKite »

The easter egg on the DVD said that Cubia was created to balance the game between hackers and edited players. He attacks Kite whenever he is near Aura because he sees him as threat to the system in which Aura belongs.

So pretty much thats saying that Cubia attacks Kite not because Cubia is a anti hacker program but because Cubia sees him as a threat to Aura.
Lotus

Post by Lotus »

FLARE of the Crimson Flam wrote:
Lotus wrote:I never said Lios wasnt human. Lios was a codename. Helba says that in part 2. I was just thinking that maybe helba is a program and not a player-character.
Wrong, wrong, wrong she is a hacker not a program

Irs only speculation
Lotus

Post by Lotus »

MasterKite wrote:  The easter egg on the DVD said that Cubia was created to balance the game between hackers and edited players. He attacks Kite whenever he is near Aura because he sees him as threat to the system in which Aura belongs.

So pretty much thats saying that Cubia attacks Kite not because Cubia is a anti hacker program but because Cubia sees him as a threat to Aura.
exactly my point
MasterKite

Post by MasterKite »

In .hack//sign they say she's a hacker so that must mean she's a hacker right? Of course.
Lotus

Post by Lotus »

Just because bear and sora says that she is dosent mean she is. What if she was meant to help the Hero find the "Twilight dragon?"
MasterKite

Post by MasterKite »

Kinda only Cubia was created by Morganna not by Harald and The reason she created him was basically to protect herself from any threats

You should make sure all you info is right before you give it

And I'm not gonna really argue the Helba thing anymore because there probably a million threads for that and it doesn't belong here.
Lotus

Post by Lotus »

MasterKite wrote:  Kinda only Cubia was created by Morganna not by Harald and The reason she created him was basically to protect herself from any threats

You should make sure all you info is right before you give it

And I'm not gonna really argue the Helba thing anymore because there probably a million threads for that and it doesn't belong here.
Cubia was not created by Morganna, it was put into the system the same as Morganna was. Read the easter egg again. Morganna only tried to prevent Aura's birth, nothing more.

Edit:Morganna used the Data Bugs are her defense, not Cubia.
Please try not to double post again. Beowulf
Ardo

Post by Ardo »

Lotus wrote:Irs only speculation
If it's only speculation, then let me speculate: Perhaps Helba, being the hacker that she is, found the Epitaph of Twilight, thought it had meaning, and, when the situation it applied to arose, assumed the role that she thought best fit her.

Now, as for Cubia...

I feel that he's still around, but since the Bracelet won't be threatening the system anymore, Cubia won't be showing up. Or Aura could restrict him.