Log Horizon

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Mod

Re: Log Horizon

Post by Mod »

Kuukai > feels like a question of opinion. In mine, SIGN revolves mainly around the character of Tsukasa and her quest of identity more than anything else. I clearly remember when watching the anime that I was constantly wondering what were the characters "thinking", probably due to the poor animation and this permanent "semi-smile" that nearly every character had. Whereas SAO (first arc) is more like a slice of life with shonen times. Its story in itself is quite disappointing and could have been so much better... (probably the reason it's currently being rewritten from scratch).

Anyway, I won't debate on this eternally. If you think that SAO and Log Horizon are nothing more than ripoffs, it's your right, but it's offensive to see people defending such sayings. Cultural creation is so much more than just claiming about who did it first and who "copied" it. It needs motivation, time, energy, creativity, and hard work. Something that very few people can do, and that is way more easily denied in talks than reproduced in acts. Any creation deserve some respect.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

.hack//SIGN was mostly scenes of character sitting around sand dunes talking about what they thought and how they felt... A lot of people were very confused why you would make an anime about an MMO and not have any fighting.
shikiaki wrote:Can you provide an explanation to how they are physically in the game?
For Log Horizon? I have no idea. For Link,  wireless devices can emit a special frequency of light that in turn causes matter to turn into light which can be received and interpreted as data.
shikiaki wrote:For human are you talking about them being an NPC or AI?
Yes, for instance Mia was an AI, and other players are based on humans but actually aren't (the  Twilight Knights, Midori).
shikiaki wrote:Turns out I'm dead. Is that the person in the game's physical body is dead or they are dead as a whole?
 Phyllo came back as a ghost/memory, so did Harald.  Hermit wasn't dead per se but that was basically the news he received.
shikiaki wrote:
Kuukai wrote:The thing that sets .hack apart more and more is how it experimented with all sorts of different kinds of being in a game.
Can you explain?
Instead of one "rule" like Log Horizon or Sword Art Online, .hack contains a bunch of different stories with a bunch of different mechanics for being trapped in The World.

Some anime are terrible, I'm not sure they all deserve respect.
VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

Look at all these spoiler censors tempted me to highlight!

so, I've watch eps 5.  Can you imagine a guild full of werecat?? Let me tell you what I think, I think it's a HEAVEN!! >w<
I like how the interaction with NPC carried on, so I have hinted that Elder Tale is not a game, then what are the NPCs? NO! It's just rhetoric question! Don't give me spoiler! ;w;

Does anyone realize that some BGM in LH have similarity with certain Orchestra group's song? At first I thought whoa it's cool LH licensed TSFH's score. But I guess I was wrong. I probably only the first part, but still, you can probably know the similarity right away.

You can easily find which bgm I referred to in next episode preview.
And this is Two Step from Hell's score I was talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAOANmzOiHg
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Kuukai wrote:.hack//SIGN was mostly scenes of character sitting around sand dunes talking about what they thought and how they felt... A lot of people were very confused why you would make an anime about an MMO and not have any fighting.
shikiaki wrote:Can you provide an explanation to how they are physically in the game?
For Log Horizon? I have no idea. For Link,  wireless devices can emit a special frequency of light that in turn causes matter to turn into light which can be received and interpreted as data.
Yes, for instance Mia was an AI, and other players are based on humans but actually aren't (the  Twilight Knights, Midori).
shikiaki wrote:Turns out I'm dead. Is that the person in the game's physical body is dead or they are dead as a whole?
 Phyllo came back as a ghost/memory, so did Harald.  Hermit wasn't dead per se but that was basically the news he received.
shikiaki wrote:
Kuukai wrote:The thing that sets .hack apart more and more is how it experimented with all sorts of different kinds of being in a game.
Can you explain?
Instead of one "rule" like Log Horizon or Sword Art Online, .hack contains a bunch of different stories with a bunch of different mechanics for being trapped in The World.

Some anime are terrible, I'm not sure they all deserve respect.
Wasn't part of the reason SIGN had less fighting because of the animation studio?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

That sounds a little like ZOO, or Medic Union.
Helbaworshipper wrote:Wasn't part of the reason SIGN had less fighting because of the animation studio?
Bee Train had just made Noir the previous year, actually, a show with gun battles, knife battles, and a death count in the high dozens or low hundreds. .hack//SIGN was by the same studio and director with music by the same composer, which made it even weirder to Noir fans that it had no fighting.
k-su

Post by k-su »

Since I can't recall if they addressed this in the anime so far, I thought I'd elaborate a little on my prior post. Before the Apocalypse, Elder Tales was  a keyboard and mouse game. No direct interfacing like in The World or SAO. Also, while players can't permanently die, death does come with a penalty.

I enjoyed this week's episode, though I was disappointed they didn't show Akatsuki's summer dress and cut the porch request from Nyanta and Shiroe's talk, which I thought they did pretty good. Seeing "My Lord sold me out" animated and Shiroe's proposal at the end were episode highlights for me.
Mod

Post by Mod »

The story is slowly getting a nice shape... It seems that Log Horizon will become one of my favorites anime this season along with Kill La Kill :)
shikiaki

Post by shikiaki »

Found out there is a light novel for it. I don't know if it has been translated. But I read the first two chapters of the manga. I guess it answered my question to something like how they got in the game.

Turns out that it isn't a VRMMORPG like The World and SAO.
shikiaki

Post by shikiaki »

Doesn't Serara and Nyanta's relationship seem similar to Elk and Mias?
VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

^
hey, you were right!
Hope Nyanta is not a phase and Serara wont start playing as blade master in whatever log horizon's next title (if there are any)
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

I actually tried another two episodes to see if I might have had a bad first impression. Sad thing is I really still found it kind of boring...

but I figured it was more like WoW and DnD combined...
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

At first I hated this show because all of the characters were overpowered and just didn't care. I still am not impressed with the show, but after the first 4 or so episodes it started to become more about economics and getting back some of what they lost, essentially good food. It reminds me of Spice and Wolf, economics and the struggles of living in this new world, a bit in this arc so it is starting to grow on me a bit. Still kind of boring and uninteresting, but slowly getting better.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I have the theme song stuck in my head! Yay!

Is it bad my first reaction was more like: it's like the writer of this series watched SAO, then said this show sucks, I bet I could wright something similar and make it 10 times better, and then did?

Time for a rant.
I love when people complain "X is a knock off of Y, there for X sucks!" Really, I do... Oh no they have PKs just like in .hack, oh noes they've guilds just like .hack, they have sentimental AIs just like .hack, oh look they even have an opening (mostly) in English (more like engrish)! by this logic .hack sucks too, cause they clearly are a ripoff of Digimon or maybe Tron. Every story has been done at least once, and if you look at old fairy tales half of them sound almost the same, yet no one complains about that. you know being stuck in a digital world isn't unique to .hack Besides, is it really such a bad thing? Personally I'd love more series like .hack, sadly there aren't a whole lot of good ones, Log Horizon does a pretty good job. (If not better,whoops did I say that...) It is not like .hack is perfect either, namely for the anime (namely SIGN and ROOTS) they spend way too much time talking about nothing and not a whole lot of time, you know, doing things. I don't SAO, but not because it's a ripoff, if it were, I'd be fine with it, but because it had so much potential and then they ruined it, that and I don't care for romance stories...

Ok, I'd be lying if I said I did not think of Mia when they introduced Nyanta... But in his defense, it's only really the outer appearance that similar, their personalities are fairly different, I think. ;p

ok, I'm done... Sorry just so many comment's on other sites saying it's a knock off of SAO or .hack mostly SAO

Well what ever, I like it, it has real game mechanics. sure it doesn't have the awesome character designs .hack has, but it's all good at least stuff happens and they don't spend several episodes talking about nothing or how much they want to screw each other's brains out... I gotta find the novels for this stuff.... :)
VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

So yeah, the Return of Goblin King got me reeled! :D
First, the princess is right, 'adventurer are free, therefore if they are to help us, it must be from their own free will'
it's so damn right! players are always go about their own business right? even if the world or game is crumbling if they don't feel like caring, they still hunt and farm as they like, so they have to be persuaded.

this show really reflects so many things in real life online game. I hate to say, but this one what .hack didn't pay much attention to.

valkyrie mail. Of course it have to be valkyrie mail. what armor more befitting princess than valkyrie mail?? :D
And we got proof that Princess Lenesia is descendant/reincarnation of Valkyrie Lenneth XD

The communication link is a good idea and I haven't see it really implemented by player in any online game (in real life) ever! The grand raid or massive MvP is great as well. again, i haven't see raid that organized...
Guess that's what happened when you stuck in the game. More feels and truly understand what is at stake.

I was rather upset when they killed Rudy, but apparently, we can get possible resurrection; which is nice. he was rather grown on me...

People complain this show is rather slow, but I think the phase is decent. It's packed with explanation and action in balance.
GamerKale

Post by GamerKale »

Database! Database! Just living in the database! Whoa ho! I do so enjoy that song.

Yeah, a friend of mine said it was slow. Not sure why. But then, I liked .hack//SIGN quite a bit more than him, so maybe the lack of action every five seconds just doesn't register as an issue with me. Plus, I find the characters pretty much all engaging and especially love Naotsugu.

It seems like the adventurers are engaging the entire goblin army all by themselves, which seems strange to me. I mean, yes they are beast and are going to trounce the level 20 someaught gobs by themselves, but the people of the land could at least send in archers for long range support or something if they so wish to avoid the whole dying thing. Or maybe Shiroe and Krusty were just like pssh, NPCs will just get in the way. I don't know.

Rudy, the ever faithful golden retriever. Live boy! Live for your master Izuzu! Maybe she'll give him CPR and it'll work? It would be kind of sweet. Their first kiss, one of life.
shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Post by shugo_lover »

Pancake wrote:It is not like .hack is perfect either, namely for the anime (namely SIGN and ROOTS) they spend way too much time talking about nothing and not a whole lot of time, you know, doing things.
You forgot to mention how Legend of the Twilight was just Rena and Shugo being lovecesed for each other.

I don't think of Log Horizon as a rip off. Yes, they have their similarities but at the same time they're different. So, far I'm actually enjoying Log Horizon. I think it has potential to becoming one of my favorites. So far it has a nice blend of action and non action. I'm also really enjoying the feel of it, opposed to SAO, I actually get a good grasp of the game that they're in and get the mmo feel. I also like the character designs and the characters and their personalities.
GamerKale wrote: Yeah, a friend of mine said it was slow. Not sure why. But then, I liked .hack//SIGN quite a bit more than him, so maybe the lack of action every five seconds just doesn't register as an issue with me. Plus, I find the characters pretty much all engaging and especially love Naotsugu
That's funny because I enjoyed .hack//Sign a lot but then thought SAO was boring as hell. Then I heard Log Horizon was a bit slow but I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Wow so many comments about Log Horizon rippin' off everyone's story...

I'm interested in this, haven't watched it yet.. But i got it reccomended by a friend with the following advice "Yo, Isaac! there's an anime called log horizon where there's a paladin called Isaac-san xD Watch it dude"... Aaaaand that was all.. Anyways, in the transcourse of this week i'll watch it for sure, so expect me commenting in this thread with something more... In-topic... I'm out! -Covers self with a blanket and is on a corner- I'm invisible...
N3IWVC

Post by N3IWVC »

So, first season is complete. There will be a second. All in all, I find it enjoyable. I'll continue to watch it when the next season starts. I will note that I find it a little difficult to take seriously. There's a lot of slap-stick humor, which isn't a bad thing, but I find myself a little less engaged in the show as a whole because of it.
VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

So, how's second season? :D

(Dat Naotsugu's face in real life! :D)
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

shikiaki wrote:
Kuukai wrote:To me, that mystery about the outside world is probably one of the few redeeming qualities of Log Horizon. But .hack has already explored perhaps every possible direction that can go:
-"Turns out I'm in a coma"
-"Turns out I'm physically in the game"
-"Turns out time isn't moving at the speed of regular time for everyone trapped in the game"
-"Turns out I'm not a human"
-"Turns out I'm dead"

...and more.
Can you provide an explanation to how they are physically in the game?
Tokio and dozens of others were converted to photons that could be received by wireless devices and interpreted into game data in .hack//Link and .hack//Versus.
AI. How would someone discover they're not human and not an AI, exactly?
Some people in .hack are totally dead, like Phyllo. But I mean more Hermit, Ovan, or Saku where their physical body is (or is thought to be) dead.
Kuukai wrote:Also Tsukasa.

The thing that sets .hack apart more and more is how it experimented with all sorts of different kinds of being in a game.
Can you explain?[/quote]As a metaseries, .hack varied the "trapped in an MMO" premise so thoroughly that while it's possible to do more with it you're going to have to get really creative or seem derivative. Like if I made a show about a notebook that kills people if their name is written in it. The bar for originality would be incredibly high.