Log Horizon

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Log Horizon

Post by Kaori »

Okay, so it's about players stuck in an online game with no way out, even death, currently downloading the episodes to watch some other time, too busy with Kill La Kill.
Onytgvx

Re: Log Horizon

Post by Onytgvx »

It's so similar to .hack, the character design, the mysterious cat player, the focus on Guilds and PKers, it's like they took everything from .hack.

That said, after watching two episodes, I've concluded that clones are not always bad and I'm really enjoying this one :P and gonna keep watching it.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I watched the first episode and they ended it with a GIANT PURPLE F--ING CAT GUY. WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE???
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

I'm diggin' Log Horizon so far. The author of the novels also wrote Maoyu Mao Yusha so that's a plus in my book.
Love how it deals with everything and still manages to be lighthearted.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

I tried the first episode and didn't get drawn in. Reminded me more of online gaming mixed with Dungeons and Dragons. I guess it's not my type of show.
VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

I was upset about this 'another-trapped-in-online-game' type (I thought SAO was enough ripoff)
then I saw the purple cat. I was like WTF!
but I tried to give it a shot.

So far I kinda like it, in fact, it's far better than SAO. Nothing too forcing like you die in game you die real-life, it's just like a game where you die you repawn. and monsters explode in loots and money is nice touch :D
with no pressing purpose (so far) i'm curious to see where this going.
exactly what it is, online game. it provoked my gaming sense :D

//sekai no mukou ni still wins though, with its visible damage floating over monster/char :D
Mod

Post by Mod »

Neither SAO or .hack are a ripoff of each other, they appeared at the same time, in 2002. If you really want to find a ripoff, you should consider both of them to be ripoffs of Tron or whatever may have existed before on a somewhat approaching virtual world trap topic. On the other side, Log Horizon makes clear that it was inspired by both SAO and .hack. Should it be considered a ripoff ? Nope. Ideas have no value, only the implementation has. All of them did great in their own way.
shikiaki

Post by shikiaki »

My impression though I only watched the first episode.

Yes.. It does have the trapped in a game concept.

The characters a little different compared to .hack (I haven't watched SAO yet). They have the usual Mage (Wavemaster), Warrior (Blademaster/Heavy Blade), ect. However they also broaden their characteristics like Elf, Human, and Halfling. The character design (how they all should almost have the same default choices) are a little different because it seems they have A LOT of varieties. If that didn't make sense I mean like how Atoli and Shino's character design are very similar just different colors and minor details.
They do have guilds just as .hack//G.U. The user can select whatever gender the Elder Tale player will be however i guess they don't have the voice changes or something like that like The World does.

Background of the anime's game Elder Tale: The cathedral in the game reminds me of Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground.

Regarding their gameplay: Well... In how we play the game in .hack//IMOQ we are the strategists.

It doesn't seem to have a lot of background yet in how they got stuck in the game (since I only watched Episode 1) DO NOT SPOIL ME.
Bullet Biter wrote:I'm diggin' Log Horizon so far. The author of the novels also wrote Maoyu Mao Yusha so that's a plus in my book.
Love how it deals with everything and still manages to be lighthearted.
Is there a visual novel for this as well?
Kuukai wrote:I watched the first episode and they ended it with a GIANT PURPLE F--ING CAT GUY. WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE???
VirusCoreS wrote: was upset about this 'another-trapped-in-online-game' type (I thought SAO was enough ripoff)
then I saw the purple cat. I was like WTF!
Yes.. I did see the purple cat player... That's also very similar to Maha/Macha and the other purple cats found in the .hack series.
Mod wrote:Neither SAO or .hack are a ripoff of each other, they appeared at the same time, in 2002. If you really want to find a ripoff, you should consider both of them to be ripoffs of Tron or whatever may have existed before on a somewhat approaching virtual world trap topic. On the other side, Log Horizon makes clear that it was inspired by both SAO and .hack. Should it be considered a ripoff ? Nope. Ideas have no value, only the implementation has. All of them did great in their own way.
I need to watch Tron to compare it with the other "trapped in the game" movies/anime.

I guess i should do that as my little homework and provide my opinion for that next time.
VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

@Mod
I haven't watch Tron, the only thing I know about it is via KH2's dungeon (you know, the server in Radiant Garden thing?) so I can't compare.
you're right, ideas have no value albeit implementation, my bad.

I do think SAO have their own ... er, charm to its own (if not, there won't be such large fanbase) What I said before was mainly because mock-tension .hack fans and SAO fans back then. Well, nothing that matters anymore.

After Log Horizon, I give up to think that 'trapped in online game' is exclusive to .hack anymore ;w; (I meant to say this in my previous post, but I forgot XD)
hey, and maybe, we'll see more of this kind of things in future :D
Last edited by VirusCoreS on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Mod wrote:Neither SAO or .hack are a ripoff of each other, they appeared at the same time, in 2002.
The first chapter of .hack//Legend of the Twilight was published before Christmas of 2001. While SAO was written, SIGN was on the air, Infection launched, and every bookstore relevant to the author's interests(not that he entered a publisher-sponsored scifi novel contest advertised in said stores) was littered with .hack magazines and novels. It's really hard to say he wasn't aware of .hack. Like Log Horizon, SAO has some original ideas, but .hack launched this genre.
Mod wrote:If you really want to find a ripoff, you should consider both of them to be ripoffs of Tron or whatever may have existed before on a somewhat approaching virtual world trap topic.
Not an MMO. There were a few light novels that predated anything, like Klein Bottle, but it's extremely unlikely that the creators of .hack or SAO had actually heard of them.
Mod wrote:On the other side, Log Horizon makes clear that it was inspired by both SAO and .hack. Should it be considered a ripoff ? Nope. Ideas have no value, only the implementation has. All of them did great in their own way.
IT HAS A GIANT PURPLE CAT GUY.

It would be like if there was some hot new show starring a purple organic robot thing with a horn piloted by a kid that goes berserk and fights angels. That would be the epitome of creativity.
shikiaki

Post by shikiaki »

One thing is for certain after watching the first episode. .hack is better in specifying what happened to the physical body. I had that thought with Digimon: Digital Monsters (1st season). It explained what was going on outside of their world (The World/Digital World).

Here in Log Horizon, it hasn't explained the question "What about the physical body?" or "Wouldn't people realize that 3,000 or so people are missing?"

I think .hack had a good explanation for that. The physical body and the mind are two different things. Your mind is moved to the game (The World) while your physical body is remained in a coma.
Kuukai wrote:IT HAS A GIANT PURPLE CAT GUY.
Well... Mia has just changed genders... XD Only difference for it being a giant purple cat guy. Maha/Macha was a purple/white cat guy though with a star on it's face. That cat character definitely has a Mia resemblance...

Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

To me, that mystery about the outside world is probably one of the few redeeming qualities of Log Horizon. But .hack has already explored perhaps every possible direction that can go:
-"Turns out I'm in a coma"
-"Turns out I'm physically in the game"
-"Turns out time isn't moving at the speed of regular time for everyone trapped in the game"
-"Turns out I'm not a human"
-"Turns out I'm dead"

...and more.
VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

as I mention before (and I'm not forcing anyone to agree with me), I still think .hack > SAO.

well, move along, I really like how in LH people use more realistic skill strategy. You know, tanker be tank, scout be scout, and mage don't forget debuff/movement restriction spell. same strategy is not repetition, but basic formation.
I just don't get that online game vibe very much from SAO. action, yes. 'mmo-ish' action, eh not much.
If you are online gamer, you know exactly how it feels like. I hope they keep using this formula for upcoming episodes.

side note:
(mia probably transferred to another game and changd gender :D)
(Shiroe probably Ovan's long lost son, due to blue hair, oval glass, and white cape. lol)

off topic:
If you are into mock-MMO-ish genre, I suggest you read EUREKA, it's a manhwa (korean comic) about MMO and AI. It's super funny and 90% true to current gaming time :D not idealized playing. there will be troll. lots of troll.
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

Kuukai wrote:
Mod wrote:Neither SAO or .hack are a ripoff of each other, they appeared at the same time, in 2002.
The first chapter of .hack//Legend of the Twilight was published before Christmas of 2001. While SAO was written, SIGN was on the air, Infection launched, and every bookstore relevant to the author's interests(not that he entered a publisher-sponsored scifi novel contest advertised in said stores) was littered with .hack magazines and novels. It's really hard to say he wasn't aware of .hack. Like Log Horizon, SAO has some original ideas, but .hack launched this genre.
The original SAO light novels were publicized in 2009. Sooo.... leap year?
k-su

Post by k-su »

I've been following Log Horizon for the past couple of weeks and I've recently gotten a chance to read a bit of the novels, thanks to a kind anon who took on the challenge. I have to say that LG handles the genre's setting very nicely. Decent world building, great characters. I like characters like Shiroe and his team dynamic with Naotsugu and Akatsuki. I enjoy seeing how the characters utilize gameplay strategy and mechanics.
shikiaki wrote:One thing is for certain after watching the first episode. .hack is better in specifying what happened to the physical body. I had that thought with Digimon: Digital Monsters (1st season). It explained what was going on outside of their world (The World/Digital World).

Here in Log Horizon, it hasn't explained the question "What about the physical body?" or "Wouldn't people realize that 3,000 or so people are missing?"

I think .hack had a good explanation for that. The physical body and the mind are two different things. Your mind is moved to the game (The World) while your physical body is remained in a coma.
The secret is  it's not a game. They are physically in the living breathing world of Elder Tales. [EDIT: This still hasn't been fully explained in the story, though]. You are already starting to see how they have to adapt to that understanding during the mob battle in episode 1, the food revelation, and Shiroe's interactions with the people of the land last episode. What will be interesting will be watching them discover the rules to follow and the ones to break along with the consequences. The people who enjoyed Maoyu Mao Yusha should be prepared for more good ole' politics and economics as well. I can't wait to see Black Heart Glasses Shiroe take care of business. Next couple of weeks are going to be good.

In closing, Ovan and Shino's lovechild ended up playing an mmo and partied with Piros's son and Elk who decided to become Mia.
Last edited by k-su on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mod

Post by Mod »

k-su > If the anime version of Log Horizon goes this way too, I might really like it in the end. I'm usually hooked to stories like Maoyuu Mao Yusha or Spice and Wolf, which involve either strategy or economy :)

Kuukai > Oh, I'm not doubting a second about the fact that Kawahara was aware of .//hack, especially when any game require months/years to develop and are usually announced many years prior their launch. What I couldn't accept was to the use of a term such as "ripoff" of .//hack, when both appeared at (well, nearly) the same time. There's the fact, too, that we are comparing them now, in 2013, after both evolved a lot through a decade. If we had to compare them back in 2002, when it was only SIGN/IMOQ and the Aincrad arc, I don't think that it's something that would have been said. .//hack emphasizes on story when SAO focuses on relationships and behaviours. Log Horizon seems (currently) to deal with game systems more than anything other, what already makes it quite different.

VirusCoreS > Will check Eureka, thanks.

Insydius > SAO started as a web novel before being published as a light novel, so yes, there has been some time between its creation and its publication.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Good to see other people think the main guy looks annoyingly like Ovan.
Insydius wrote:The original SAO light novels were publicized in 2009. Sooo.... leap year?
In fairness to Sword Art Online, it was first published as a compiled light novel in 2009, but it was first serialized on the web in 2005, after the first .hack series had ended. The author says and it's generally accepted as true (I mean, how do you even prove something like this?) that he originally wrote it for a contest in 2002 but never submitted it. But even then the timing falls after .hack was well-publicized...

.hack//SIGN focuses on relationships and behaviors, it's hard to say .hack wasn't there first. They "evolved together," but by the time SAO was expanded beyond a short story laying out the first arc, Link was on the horizon. So you really can take most of .hack into account.

That spoiler makes Log Horizon interesting, because now it's Link. I can only hope the story behind it is half as epic. Then the idea of  merging with your character is kind of original - it's half from Link and half from SAO.
shikiaki

Post by shikiaki »

After a few more episodes of LH (On episode 4). It's different from .hack in it's own way. Though there are character similarities. LH focuses more on attack strategy then anything. Talks more about the game and classes and stuff..

Though it has the I die and I still am in the game. Almost like Quantum for Hermit.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Also Tsukasa.

The thing that sets .hack apart more and more is how it experimented with all sorts of different kinds of being in a game.
shikiaki

Post by shikiaki »

Kuukai wrote:To me, that mystery about the outside world is probably one of the few redeeming qualities of Log Horizon. But .hack has already explored perhaps every possible direction that can go:
-"Turns out I'm in a coma"
-"Turns out I'm physically in the game"
-"Turns out time isn't moving at the speed of regular time for everyone trapped in the game"
-"Turns out I'm not a human"
-"Turns out I'm dead"

...and more.
Can you provide an explanation to how they are physically in the game?

For human are you talking about them being an NPC or AI?

Turns out I'm dead. Is that the person in the game's physical body is dead or they are dead as a whole?
Kuukai wrote:Also Tsukasa.

The thing that sets .hack apart more and more is how it experimented with all sorts of different kinds of being in a game.
Can you explain?