Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Re: Toonami is back XD

Post by Erranty »

Keyaki wrote:
Kaori wrote:
Erranty wrote:
zaseo wrote:I hope they bring new anime so that it can be expose to the main stream. The classics are great and I think they should show one or two but I feel they should focus more on bringing in new content.
Darker than Black, Black Lagoon, Highschool of the Dead, Soul Eater, Casshern Sins... No wait, they can't, those are too violent and curse too much... Except for Soul Eater.
This is why I'm not so excited for it, they'll just edit it like they did Gundam Wing, at least in GMA they only dubbed it in Tagalog yet their Lines were correct, I cant believe the change included the removal of blood, profanity, and the word "kill" being replaced with the word "destroy" (this was extended to Duo's nickname, "The God of Death", changed to "The Great Destroyer", even forcing the alteration of two episode titles), though the word "death" was mostly left intact.
Bring back One Piece?
No, they butchered that with censorship too. 4KIDS took out all the blood, swearing, and cleavage.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Erranty wrote:
Keyaki wrote:
Kaori wrote:
Erranty wrote:
zaseo wrote:I hope they bring new anime so that it can be expose to the main stream. The classics are great and I think they should show one or two but I feel they should focus more on bringing in new content.
Darker than Black, Black Lagoon, Highschool of the Dead, Soul Eater, Casshern Sins... No wait, they can't, those are too violent and curse too much... Except for Soul Eater.
This is why I'm not so excited for it, they'll just edit it like they did Gundam Wing, at least in GMA they only dubbed it in Tagalog yet their Lines were correct, I cant believe the change included the removal of blood, profanity, and the word "kill" being replaced with the word "destroy" (this was extended to Duo's nickname, "The God of Death", changed to "The Great Destroyer", even forcing the alteration of two episode titles), though the word "death" was mostly left intact.
Bring back One Piece?
No, they butchered that with censorship too. 4KIDS took out all the blood, swearing, and cleavage.
The results of what happens when 4KIDS censors One Piece. Everything about One Piece was mess up until it was redone by FUNimation.

I kind of wish Toonami would get an evening block. That way more could see anime and so the anime that do show wouldn't have to be mature or up to Adult Swim rating standards. Well these days Adult Swim starts as early as 8 central 9 eastern so I'm sure most kids see some "mature" or older content anyway. Then again I guess it wouldn't matter because the anime that is meant for kids is edited as well.

Beyblade for example gets edited. In some cases its minor things like in Beyblade the names of the beyblades or characters are alter. Takao to Tyson Gaia Dragoon to Strata Dragoon. They did change some things story wise but it is so small it really doesn't matter. Its pointless but I don't care.

The thing I dislike is when things edited completely changes the plot of anime. Yugioh is a prime example. The "Shadow Realm" thing is crap. When those guys was dueling Seto and the Pharaoh the losers would fall to their death not in the "shadow realm" When Mai lost to Marik she was being tortured in her mind not in the "shadow realm" Its many things in Yugioh were the plot is changed somewhat. Well the same thing in the end happens but the reasons why are different.

I don't get why this day that they still edit things to the extreme. Most kids theses days see mature content at a very young age anyway.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

I don't get why this day that they still edit things to the extreme. Most kids theses days see mature content at a very young age anyway.
Perhaps that's the reason why? Duh.

I guess I'm the only one who never saw the dubbing situation with the anime much of an issue. Too busy enjoying it to care.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Keyaki wrote:

I guess I'm the only one who never saw the dubbing situation with the anime much of an issue. Too busy enjoying it to care.
True. They could always show the more mature or teenage anime at night and more the kid anime in the evening. They take censorship the the extreme. Oh my goodness we got to censor something that has Japanese writing on it despite the fact that the show is made by the Japanese. Oh my goodness we got to change the names or part of the names of characters for no reason.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

zaseo wrote:
Keyaki wrote:

True. They could always show the more mature or teenage anime at night and more the kid anime in the evening. They take censorship the the extreme. Oh my goodness we got to censor something that has Japanese writing on it despite the fact that the show is made by the Japanese. Oh my goodness we got to change the names or part of the names of characters for no reason.
To further play of the Devil's Advocate, in some small cases, it doesn't matter what age demographic the anime is geared to. It can still be impressionable in a right or wrong way. Besides, may its just me but is there really a need for a lot of blood to be shown? Sure blood being present can make for a more intense show, but a fist drench in blood? Is that really needed? Maybe its just me.

But here's another example: In the first season of Pokemon when Ash and gang encounter the Squirtle squad, in the English dub when Misty is held captive by the Squirtles, they just threatened to dye Misty's hair purple, but in the original, Japanese dub, they threatened to kill Misty. Mind you its suppose to be a KID show geared to towards 5 year olds to at least 10-11 years olds(me being 18 and still watches the show to this very day breaks that age range) if I were to hear that when I was 5, I would be going "wtf?". They're just little turtle creatures and yet they threatened to kill a young girl instead of just mess her up! You wanna go and pass that off as a kid show? http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Squirtle_Squad

Same with Yu-Gi-Oh!, in the English dub of Dawn of the Duel, when we learn of the creation of the Millennium Items, Yami's uncle Akenaden used the souls of all the sacrificed people of Kul Elna to create the Millennium items, but in the original Japanese dub Akenaden, going behind his brother who was the Pharaoh's back he literally slaughtered the villagers and used their blood, flesh and, bone with the gold of the Millennium Items to create them. Again, suppose to be another kid show but to have something as morbid and graphic and just plain evil in a kid show? Seriously? http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Millennium_Items

Not only that, if I knew the penalty for loosing some serious duels in Yu-Gi-Oh! was imminent death, I probably would've never played it in the first place.

What I'm saying is, there may be some truth to the censorship.

The only thing I can agree on with the bogus-ness of censorship is when they sense out anything with the word "God" in it. Sometimes its okay to censor it out because regardless of the potential to cause harm to the religiously conservative, its sometimes...just not needed. But in other cases...well let me just say that I'm surprised they didn't alter the name, Azure Flame God in //GU. But they decided to alter Matsu's former PK name from the Red Iron Devil, which sounds a heck of a lot cooler and more badass and still manages to NOT HARBOR ANY SATANIC CONNECTIONS AT ALL to the Flame Sword Demon, which just sounds wimpy as hell.

Maybe in some other cases, like anime that's rated MA, they can take out the censorship and let it all hang out. Like Devil May Cry for example. Nothing was edited out of that show. Showed a whole lot of blood.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

Keyaki wrote: To further play of the Devil's Advocate, in some small cases, it doesn't matter what age demographic the anime is geared to. It can still be impressionable in a right or wrong way. Besides, may its just me but is there really a need for a lot of blood to be shown? Sure blood being present can make for a more intense show, but a fist drench in blood? Is that really needed? Maybe its just me.

But here's another example: In the first season of Pokemon when Ash and gang encounter the Squirtle squad, in the English dub when Misty is held captive by the Squirtles, they just threatened to dye Misty's hair purple, but in the original, Japanese dub, they threatened to kill Misty. Mind you its suppose to be a KID show geared to towards 5 year olds to at least 10-11 years olds(me being 18 and still watches the show to this very day breaks that age range) if I were to hear that when I was 5, I would be going "wtf?". They're just little turtle creatures and yet they threatened to kill a young girl instead of just mess her up! You wanna go and pass that off as a kid show? http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Squirtle_Squad

Same with Yu-Gi-Oh!, in the English dub of Dawn of the Duel, when we learn of the creation of the Millennium Items, Yami's uncle Akenaden used the souls of all the sacrificed people of Kul Elna to create the Millennium items, but in the original Japanese dub Akenaden, going behind his brother who was the Pharaoh's back he literally slaughtered the villagers and used their blood, flesh and, bone with the gold of the Millennium Items to create them. Again, suppose to be another kid show but to have something as morbid and graphic and just plain evil in a kid show? Seriously? http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Millennium_Items

Not only that, if I knew the penalty for loosing some serious duels in Yu-Gi-Oh! was imminent death, I probably would've never played it in the first place.

What I'm saying is, there may be some truth to the censorship.

The only thing I can agree on with the bogus-ness of censorship is when they sense out anything with the word "God" in it. Sometimes its okay to censor it out because regardless of the potential to cause harm to the religiously conservative, its sometimes...just not needed. But in other cases...well let me just say that I'm surprised they didn't alter the name, Azure Flame God in //GU. But they decided to alter Matsu's former PK name from the Red Iron Devil, which sounds a heck of a lot cooler and more badass and still manages to NOT HARBOR ANY SATANIC CONNECTIONS AT ALL to the Flame Sword Demon, which just sounds wimpy as hell.

Maybe in some other cases, like anime that's rated MA, they can take out the censorship and let it all hang out. Like Devil May Cry for example. Nothing was edited out of that show. Showed a whole lot of blood.
Now, I have to disagree. The blood shows kids that fighting is really dangerous and has serious consequences. Without that it just seems like they're playing around.

Its the same with Yu-Gi-Oh. Without severe consequences, what've you got? A bunch of kids with no real reason to do anything other than play a card game.

And the Squirtle Squad "murder" thing was really just to show Squirtle's personality. In the 4KIDS version with the hair dye, he's not impressive, doesn't have a dark history or anything. It ruins some of the later plots like that episode where it rejoined the Squirtle Squad.

Lets not forget about the mockeries that Naruto and Bleach became thanks to censorship and those were Late night anime!

If they want to show kids some anime, give them anime that was intended for kids. Otherwise give them 90's Warner Brother's cartoons like Batman: The Animated Series.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Now, I have to disagree. The blood shows kids that fighting is really dangerous and has serious consequences. Without that it just seems like they're playing around.

Its the same with Yu-Gi-Oh. Without severe consequences, what've you got? A bunch of kids with no real reason to do anything other than play a card game.
True but I doubt buckets of it are needed just to get the point across.
The consequence was the the "eternal" confinement of the Shadow Realm. At least there, kids know that at least the victim is still "alive" in a way and isn't scared shitless about dying if he/she looses.
And the Squirtle Squad "murder" thing was really just to show Squirtle's personality. In the 4KIDS version with the hair dye, he's not impressive, doesn't have a dark history or anything. It ruins some of the later plots like that episode where it rejoined the Squirtle Squad.

Yea, you're gonna have to explain that again, because I don't see how that shows anything nor how it ruins any of the plots.
Lets not forget about the mockeries that Naruto and Bleach became thanks to censorship and those were Late night anime!
That I agree with.

DeMarco added that Toonami will not be showing Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, and similar titles since "the rights to those shows are owned by our competition or are out of our price range." He continued, "Something you should know about THIS Toonami: We have very, very little $$. This experiment will need ratings success to receive more funding for new shows, more [mascot character] Tom animation, etc. I'm thankful for the $$ we've gotten, but it isn't a lot."

DeMarco also clarified Adult Swim's May 16 press release, which said that the network is developing "new original anime programming" for Toonami's return. Toonami will not have original titles created specifically for the programming block, "just new acquisitions." DeMarco said that he personally "love One Piece and would love to see it on CN again" along with Gundam Wing. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Fairy Tail, and Inuyasha: The Final Act are some of the "many shows we've been looking at" or discussed.

DeMarco confirmed that Steven Blum will reprise his role of Tom, which "will be an updated hi-res version of Tom 3.0" aboard a slightly different but almost identical version of the spaceship Absolution. However, the character Sara will not appear for now ("costs too much to make"), and Peter Cullen will not be the voice of the block's promos due to his busy work schedule. The anime titles will keep their theme songs, and Toonami "will make our own 'pre' intros."
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

DeMarco added that Toonami will not be showing Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, and similar titles since "the rights to those shows are owned by our competition or are out of our price range." He continued, "Something you should know about THIS Toonami: We have very, very little $$. This experiment will need ratings success to receive more funding for new shows, more [mascot character] Tom animation, etc. I'm thankful for the $$ we've gotten, but it isn't a lot."

DeMarco also clarified Adult Swim's May 16 press release, which said that the network is developing "new original anime programming" for Toonami's return. Toonami will not have original titles created specifically for the programming block, "just new acquisitions." DeMarco said that he personally "love One Piece and would love to see it on CN again" along with Gundam Wing. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Fairy Tail, and Inuyasha: The Final Act are some of the "many shows we've been looking at" or discussed.

DeMarco confirmed that Steven Blum will reprise his role of Tom, which "will be an updated hi-res version of Tom 3.0" aboard a slightly different but almost identical version of the spaceship Absolution. However, the character Sara will not appear for now ("costs too much to make"), and Peter Cullen will not be the voice of the block's promos due to his busy work schedule. The anime titles will keep their theme songs, and Toonami "will make our own 'pre' intros."

I see. I have hope that what ever is shown won't get decimated.

I don't think Naruto while on Cartoon Network was edited too bad. They took out the blood and few swear words hear and that but they actually lighten up for the most part as the show progress. I remember seeing blood and stuff around the Chunin exams. Also in filler arc Naruto the person disguise as Kabuto does some justu to link their hearts together. That person actually takes their hear out and started to squeeze it while it was beating. They had a warning before this ep showed.
http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Two_Heartb ... o%27s_Trap

Naruto Shippuden on the other hand got destroyed on Disney XD. Well Disney XD is know for destroying anime. Digimon Data Squad is an example. The edits they did were totally not needed.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Also in filler arc Naruto the person disguise as Kabuto does some justu to link their hearts together. That person actually takes their hear out and started to squeeze it while it was beating. They had a warning before this ep showed.
http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Two_Heartb ... o%27s_Trap
I believe in the original dub, blood was present.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

zaseo wrote:

I see. I have hope that what ever is shown won't get decimated.

The minute I saw PSG on the list I knew everything was gonna get butchered. Its a great show, but it definitely isn't a kids show, they'd have their first boner.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

The scheduled as been revealed.
At 11c/12e it starts with Bleach
Deadman Wonderland
Casshern Sins
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Ghost In The Shell
Cowboy Bebop
then a repeat

They don't have the fund money but I hope everyone supports Toonami. If we don't its going to die. It we support it maybe someday we can see more new anime come and maybe Toonami can get its own block in the future someday. It might be mostly reruns now but Tom can make reruns epic just like he did with those promos on April fools day.

"He got 99 problems and these **** are the main one"
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

I better not see Inyuasha AT ALL!!!
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

I don't think they will be showing it. They're repeating that 3 hour schedule twice. Cowboy Bebop would be the last thing to come on.
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

Toonami is great. But I do not support its return. Also the censorship of anime may protect the minds of the one watching the show however it doesn't keep safe the lessons delivered from those works. A, Censorship can ruin a story's plot and B; It can ruin the mature themes of those stories. As a kid I loved to hear about violence, peace, morals and ethics because it allowed me to further contemplate myself and the world. Even removing subtle ideas such drugs, religion, sex and politics can do more harm than good because it doesn’t tell the child what type of environments and situations they may encounter later. Now, this doesn’t mean to go all out but, for one are not most stories geared toward developing the ethical goods of society? In fact do you want to know why a Japanese kid can talk circles around you? Well it’s because their entertainment are teaching them about the environment that they might enter it. I believe that If the content itself is harmful then its the writer that should drive the story to a better means not the editors.

In addition forgive me however I hope they remove Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell off that list. Both are great anime but to reshow them over and over as adult swim has over the years ruins their value and prevents the station from advancing to the next generation amazing stories and their content.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

In addition forgive me however I hope they remove Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell off that list. Both are great anime but to reshow them over and over as adult swim has over the years ruins their value and prevents the station from advancing to the next generation amazing stories and their content.
I agree, but what the do you expect them to do? Adult Swim hates anime and they're only showing it because of the fans and there's not a lot of anime to show as to why Bleach and FMA:Brotherhood are they're highest shows. And Toonami is seemingly coming back at a bad time given how little money they have, they're scrounging what little anime they still have.
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

To be honest. Remove the two shows and negotiate a joint investment with an outside company such as Hulu. The agreement will damage their funds but the will awaken better opportunities and open a nicer source of income for the future. I am sure something from those two series must lose them some sort of money. Granted somewhere there's a entrepreneur out shaking their head in disagreement with my proposal. I'd ask AS to be more innovative but for them that seems to backfire.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

(Phantom) Thief wrote:To be honest. Remove the two shows and negotiate a joint investment with an outside company such as Hulu. The agreement will damage their funds but the will awaken better opportunities and open a nicer source of income for the future. I am sure something from those two series must lose them some sort of money. Granted somewhere there's a entrepreneur out shaking their head in disagreement with my proposal. I'd ask AS to be more innovative but for them that seems to backfire.
I also thing they should show something else other than Ghost In The Shell, and Cowboy Bepop. Like you said they are great shows but I don't see any point in showing them anymore. I hate how Toonami is showing so late. I think It would help if it started at 10c 11e or even a hour earlier than that.
kai the pkk
The Fang King

Post by kai the pkk »

That rap music is horrible ap far for when they started it off and they don't really make ala big thing it just started like oh yeah great but so far it's nOt bad
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

"Toonami is back ****"

Tom, I want your babies.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Toonami on May 26th was a huge success. Lol Deadman Wonderland is win. Lol So many cuss words was bleep out. A lot of action of blood, and lets not forget the comment that inmate made to Makina. Casshern Sins is good as well. Ringo is cute. I liked Toonami's opening and I watch the whole thing.