Anime Dub Failures

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

zaseo

Anime Dub Failures

Post by zaseo »

A lot of anime gets dubbed, and censored when it comes outside of Japan. Often times there will be censorship fails, or major dialogue screw ups.
4kids is known for the fails. I shall start off with this.

For the second vid you can skip to about 3:00. Why 4kids why? You took out the emotion that Tails had. When I saw this in Japanese I was like wait he didn't display that much emotion in the Eng Dub.
Let post, and discuss other dub failures.
Kite

Re: Anime Dub Failures

Post by Kite »

three words
One Piece Dub
hidora

Post by hidora »

I'm not able to use youtube atm (my net sucks, everyone here should know this already lol), so I can't give any links, but look for a portuguese (the portugal one) dub of Dragon Ball Z. It's way too much fail on the same dub.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

Yeah, the whole Sonic series was kinda fail to begin with though.

I agree about the English One Piece dub being bad.

DBZ? Eh, it can't be any worse the the redubbing in Kai.

What I consider a bad dub was Higurashi When they Cry. They only did the first season, but the voices they picked were just too far off from what you'd expect from the character, there was almost no emotion or strain in their voices, and at times the sync with the mouths was really bad.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

I'm sure people know about these Pokemon fails.

hidora

Post by hidora »

zaseo wrote:I'm sure people know about these Pokemon fails.
Well, yeah, we can't talk about fail dubs without them lol
Master ZED

Post by Master ZED »

Knights of the Zodiac. I never want to see the dub that usurps it as the god-king of ear-rape.

Yes, I've seen 4Piece. There's a difference between something being horrible and something being so miserably awful that the MST3K crew cries afterward.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

LOL at the Poke Fails o3o

Well, i hardly watch anime recently, let alone dubbed versions of it, and the only dubs i ever watched were the LA spanish dubs of series like Dragon Ball (the original), Pokemon, Yugioh, Digimon, Saint Seiya, etc...my childhood series. And though some like Pokemon and Digimon had their obvious censors and parts that made no sense whatsoever, i think they were all pretty nice. There was lots of feeling in the voices, it wasn't anything like reading empty scripts, and they were all very fitting for the characters (in fact, i've always thought the spanish DBZ Goku was better than the japanese Goku). Even the Saint Seiya one, that had LOTS of dialogue changes from the original version, was pretty nice and the characters had great voice acting. And any wrongdoing from that dub was completely redeemed in the Lost Canvas dub...PERFECT work right there.

So yeah, i actually don't have much to complain about the anime dubs i've watched XD I've never watched anime dubbed in english though...let alone the fails everyone speaks about all the time, i simply have no reason to watch a series dubbed in a language which is neither the original, nor my native one. And yeah, there are fails i could talk about regarding the spanish dubs, but they're from series like Pokemon or Digimon, of which dubs are pretty much translations of the USA ones and so any fails from those versions were carried over here as well. And even so, as i said before, i found the actual voice acting to be very good and fitting despite the context mistakes. At least they made it sound like False Swipe was really going to KO that one Pokemon. lol
hidora

Post by hidora »

Here's a video with some examples of the portuguese dub of DBZ. I know most (if not all) won't understand anything, but even if you don't understand just pay atention to Vegeta's voice lol

nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

hidora wrote:Here's a video with some examples of the portuguese dub of DBZ. I know most (if not all) won't understand anything, but even if you don't understand just pay atention to Vegeta's voice lol

He sounds like he hasn't hit puberty yet.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

One Ranma movie has a terrible voice for Shampoo.

Though to be honest, I can't say I've found any truly BAD ones except for certain actors in the series. For example, I don't like Rin's voice in the Fate Stay Night dub, but there are good voices in there. One of the examples of a mixed dub is Vampire Knight.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Pokemon has so many fails that it is crazy.

This is one of the many fails from Yugioh.

4kids epic censorship of One Piece

It seems 4kids got sued in some scandal with Yugioh like a few months ago.
I'm sure we would all facepalm any company that screws up dubs. Adult Swim, and Toonami(when it was around) are the best at dubbing anime.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

zaseo wrote:4kids epic censorship of One Piece
I had no idea that RICE BALLS needed to be censored with cookies, or that cleavage and smoking wasn't allowed in America. Pointless censorship aside, they butchered One Piece over here so much that when I was a kid I swore off it, then like last year I picked it up around the Sabody Archipelago arch and got hooked! I really can't stand the english version, so I'm not even gonna bother with it.
hidora

Post by hidora »

zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Seems like 4kids shall go out of business because they lost rights to good shows, low on money, and are in a lawsuit.
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

zaseo wrote:Seems like 4kids shall go out of business because they lost rights to good shows, low on money, and are in a lawsuit.
I can honestly say that it's about f*cking time.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

4kids is know for voice acting fails. It sucks how Gamma's voice sucked in Sonic X. They have even destroy Maria's death. In the game, and JP version she dies. In the NA anime she disappears, or was taken away.

Here is yet another dubbing fail. Why do they keep using Arboc for other snake pokemon? I wonder who is more crazy Jenny for calling Growlithe an Arcanine, or Growlithe thinking it is an Arcanine lol.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Maybe they're using nicknames? 8DD And BTW it's Arbok Cx lolz

No excuse for the other video though...and it completely reminds me to the Yugioh's "Shadow Realm", a realm which only exists outside of Japan, and more than a fail it was just a very forced attempt at censoring EVERYTHING that might be related to death or suffering. It kinda made sense at the beginning, with dubbing the entire shadow games and the soul-trapping thing as if they were forces from a realm of shadows, which wasn't that much different from the original...though still confusing as some things didn't apply to the same shadow stuff but were still masked into the same thing (that wife didn't have her soul trapped like the Kaibas, she was just...dead D: ).
But then Battle City appears...and don't worry kids, you don't lose your legs and bleed to death if those saw thingies pass through your body, you don't break your bones and have your brains spill out if you fall from that 20-or-so story building (to which you just ninja-jumped into, BTW), and you don't even drown and suffer an agonizing demise if you fall to the bottom of the ocean, you're just sent to the Shadow Realm!! 8DD And what is it, you ask? IT'S A HORRIBLE PLACE OF HORRIBLE THINGS!!! O-O But it's not that bad, really...you're alive!! 8D And it's just a bad place for bad people who are bad. The good people are saved and live happy lives with their cards, so be a good kid and it's all fine!! Cx

And sure enough, the whole concept of Yugioh was quite ridiculous already, with having to resort to card games to solve important life matters instead of using guns or something truly fearsome...and they still used guns but, if it doesn't involve card games, it's nothing serious or important, and every evil villian couldn't help but pull out their deck and challenge the heroes to a duel even though they could just shoot them or stab them and succesfully accomplish their evil deeds (except at the end, but that was just awesome). And even so, the english dubbers managed to make it even worse D:

Something similar happened in Digimon 01's dub, but it's not as ridiculous. The japanese version just kept using terms such as "death" and "rebirth" constantly, while the english dub replaced them with "formatted", "restarted", "turned to data", etc. Nothing bad and still retains the same meaning, just making it sound softer than originally intended (they ARE data, after all).
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

@Sorrow- I blame politically correct Americanazist parents for absolutely every piece of censorship done by 4kids throughout the time they've 'been in power'.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

In Japan they censored out Jinx because it was racist apparently.