Was G.U. Returner Canon or no?

Haseo Vi Awesome

Re: Was G.U. Returner Canon or no?

Post by Haseo Vi Awesome »

It was to show what happened after the whole thing. Instead of leaving us hanging with Haseo and Atoli about to leave Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground. When I first seen it before playing the game I noticed Azure Kite and wondered why is he in the same area as Haseo without them going at each other's throats.

Anywho I think its canon
coslink

Post by coslink »

Unison for me was strange. seeing sora return after being vapourised from skieth sorta made me go... "wtf?????"
I never though balmung, orca, kite really knew the tsukasa's bunch that well.
So i could say unison isn't canon.

BUt as for returner, I think it was. It explains about the AIDA and the little scene with aina and ovan was sweet. I liked seeing aina in proper anime style. (Oh and haseo's xth form kicked ass)

So does returner happen after the events of g.u.+5? or at the end of .hack//g.u.?
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

So does returner happen after the events of g.u.+5? or at the end of .hack//g.u.?
At the end of GU Vol. 3 Redemption.
If it happened after GU+, then the characters would behave different and Haseo would be in a different form D: I could never read GU+ for more than the first volume, but i know that the story develops way different after some point, and several characters behave different around Haseo than they do in GU...and GU+ is non-canon too, while Returner seems to be canon so far.
|<!73

Post by |<!73 »

Returner is about the same canon as Unision. It was created to fit into the main series however because its an OVA it can be contridicted at a later time. Its a conclusion that works for the time being.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Except unlike Unison, Returner actually resolved a couple important plot points.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Unison's status had nothing to do with it being an OVA. Everything is considered canon until it's contradicted. Because the vast majority of .hack is internally consistent, this system works really well...
coslink

Post by coslink »

I think Unison was like a "wrap it up" sorta story line, that didn't have to hapen, but did to end things.

Returner, (Like AuraTwilight said) Gives important info to wrap things up with g.u. :)
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

coslink wrote:I think Unison was like a "wrap it up" sorta story line, that didn't have to hapen, but did to end things.

Returner, (Like AuraTwilight said) Gives important info to wrap things up with g.u. :)
Unless something else shows up that throws it in the non-canon slot. Perhaps a Terminal Disk type thing for for the Conglomerate section of .hack, mainly the G.U. storyline.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

We won't get one, though.