what do you think about Tsukasa being...?

Discuss the anime series that started it all, .hack//SIGN and //LIMINALITY

Moderator: Moderators

WHAT Do you think about it?

Good
23%
wierd
25%
don't matter
52%

Total votes: 52

Daichi

what do you think about Tsukasa being...?

Post by Daichi »

:? i was kina messed up to se tsukasa as a girl... nd u?
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

I doesn't matter to me. I think it was just thrown in as a good plot twist. Perhaps it had something to do with Subaru also, but I think it was more for the twist seeing as how the Subaru thing could have happened regardless of what gender he/she was.
DragonLord

Post by DragonLord »

It also helped to show just how much Morganna messed Tsukasa up when she trapped her character inside The World, with the whole messed-up memories thing taken to a whole new level. To not even be able to remember if you're a guy or girl, that's some pretty good brainwashing :shock:
Lord Dallas of Dipan

Post by Lord Dallas of Dipan »

An wants to distance herself from the real world and so she created a male character named Tsukasa. Amusing.
Umbra
The Avaricious
The Avaricious

Post by Umbra »

In the beginning of the series, we see An Shouji; Tsukasa's real self, after she fell unconscious. The second episode then leads us to the conclusion that this girl is Aura...

...At least, that appears to be the desired effect. Tsukasa's insistance that he was a guy simply added to the mystery surrounding the girl in a coma.

It also emphasised one of the key themes of .hack//SIGN, the idea that when people meet they drop all physical restraints. This is evident in Sora's adult character, Subaru's desire to run and walk, and finally in Tsukasa and Subaru's love for each other despite their genders.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

It was a wonderful plot twist, in my opinion. When I watched Sign, with my mom, she was like "OSNAP NO WAI."

Also, lesbians are hot.
Suyo

Post by Suyo »

It made sense..

She played as a boy character as a mental thing to become the "son her father never had"

He needs to get shot ;|
Osamu

Post by Osamu »

AuraTwilight wrote:Also, lesbians are hot.

So true.
Airon

Post by Airon »

AuraTwilight wrote:It was a wonderful plot twist, in my opinion. When I watched Sign, with my mom, she was like "OSNAP NO WAI."

Also, lesbians are hot.
way to be frank >_>;

i was surprised but in a " damn, didn't see that coming... wonder why she played as a boy?"

i was so innocent i had no idea about lesbians yet.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

...Jesus, what were you, ten?
Airon

Post by Airon »

...11, i was so innocent before middle school...
Essence of Transcendence

Post by Essence of Transcendence »

i am never supprised about anything
TheTerrorOfAngst

Post by TheTerrorOfAngst »

It made me care a lot more about Tsukasa's character. I have somewhat of a Crim outlook, and seeing a guy act like Tsukasa does irritates me, as it did. Of course, I put two and two together rather quickly with the hints the show gives you and I went "Wow, interesting."
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

I have to admit the twist made the story that much more interesting...but if you got into watching the epsiodes a few times over, you'd pretty much get it way before they even reveal it.

In that way it didn't change the way I felt about Tsukasa. Every anime character has something bad happen to them, or has some reasonable backstory to somehow rationalize their actions and behavior. An interesting backstory, but it didn't completely get me into being sympathetic.
nikuvillain

Post by nikuvillain »

That's because most anime needs to make a good back story. If not then you'll have a show that's not really good for older, and young people a like.

The Tsukasa twist though, was really good because it doesn't get used over and over again in other animes. I did catch on to it, but then when she said that she was a guy, I just took it as the truth.
DragonLord

Post by DragonLord »

nikuvillain wrote:The Tsukasa twist though, was really good because it doesn't get used over and over again in other animes. I did catch on to it, but then when she said that she was a guy, I just took it as the truth.
There also haven't been that many other animes like .hack either. When you have the characters actually playing a game and you never see who is actually behind the scenes (so to speak) for all that long, it sort of opens up a whole new method for making plot-twists and having reasons for characters to be the way they are. That's a good thing though, cause when the reasons for actions of the characters do come out, they're more likely to be something that the person watching the show can empathize with (like worrying about deadlines or their parents being too hard on them or worrying about a sibling). I guess that part of it made the show more real to me then something from another show that has no chance of ever happening in this world :?

Offtopic: nikuvillain, your sig is friggen amazingly awesome :shock: 8)
nikuvillain

Post by nikuvillain »

DragonLord wrote:There also haven't been that many other animes like .hack either. When you have the characters actually playing a game and you never see who is actually behind the scenes (so to speak) for all that long, it sort of opens up a whole new method for making plot-twists and having reasons for characters to be the way they are.
Yep, that's the main reason why they were able to pull it off the way they did. Other animes wouldn't be able to do it since they mostly take place in a real world. So, they can't even try to do that plot-twists. Though, I would like to see other anime try to pull it off. Just to see how it was done, and if it makes since.

Oh, and thank Dragon Lord.
AFK

Post by AFK »

I wasn't all that suprised. As mentioned before, the idea is that all bets are off about the real world, it's a place to lose yourself. There isn't a much better way of prentending to be someone you're not by changing character genders. As stated above also... Lesbians are hot.
DragonLord

Post by DragonLord »

AFK wrote:As stated above also... Lesbians are hot.
True.. as long as they look like normal girls that also like girls.. butch lesbians kinda scare me :(
Umbra
The Avaricious
The Avaricious

Post by Umbra »

O_O *Beats with Bigotry Bat*

How can you get hawt over the idea of a relationship between Tsukasa and Subaru? Apart from the fact that neither one provides any sort of fanservice, their relationship is hardly sexual.

Incidentally, anyone butch would scare me, regardless of gender or sexuality. ¬_¬

NB: I have harvested so many spleens that I'm running out of places to put them and I don't want to spill spleen juice all over my tight jeans...

So I got a nifty Bigotry Bat off AT for Christmas! ^_^