Is it worth watching?

Discuss the anime series that started it all, .hack//SIGN and //LIMINALITY

Moderator: Moderators

Xalioniaf

Is it worth watching?

Post by Xalioniaf »

Err...I bought all of my .hack games used. Now, while this may seem similar, it's not. You see, so far, the two .hack games I bought didn't come with the OVAs. Now, I was wondering if it's worth watching the OVAs in order to get an idea of the entire storyline.
Pika-chan Ryu

Post by Pika-chan Ryu »

Which two OAV's do you have? Do you have any friends that owned the games?

I really loved Liminality. It was really awesome, but watching them not in order could mess up the storyline. If you're not going to get a chance to watch the others, then go for it. Did you buy it in a gaming store? Maybe because you actually own the games, it might be legal to download the episodes because you payed for them...

I bought all my games pre-played as well. They came with all the DVDs, but someone stole the Outbreak cover while it was sitting in the store... so I don't have a case for Outbreak. ^^;
Xalioniaf

Post by Xalioniaf »

I don't have any of the OVAs. I'm sorry if I typed that wrong :P.

I don't have any friends who live near me that like .hack. Heck the only people I know who like .hack are online. I'm kinda in a sticky situation here...
Pika-chan Ryu

Post by Pika-chan Ryu »

Ahh. So i'm guessing you have Infection and Mutation, then?

You might want to check around. If you're really desperate, maybe trade in the copies you have now if you find another copy and get that one with the DVD (only if you know the other copy comes with the DVD, though). If you don't have any chance what so ever of getting them, then i'd say do some looking up on the internet about what happens in the first two, and then watch the last two.
tasigin

Post by tasigin »

why didnt you get the OVA? that sounds unfair. but there interesting and pretty deep i think. it also gives you more of a picture of whats going on outside of "the world".
Twilight Wave

Post by Twilight Wave »

The first one that comes with Infection is the only one that is alright. The others are pointless.
Crox

Post by Crox »

Ignore Twilight Wave. Liminality is very good, so you should definently try to get all 4 OVAs.
saiato

Post by saiato »

I watched liminality a while ago and didn't like it. I didn't know they paralleled the games...I hadn't played the games yet XD So I can't really say. Are they better if you watch them as you play the games? Or is it about the same.
beginner

Post by beginner »

I don't think it matters which you do first.
xeno

Post by xeno »

I would say watch them in order of 1,2,3,and then 4, because if you watch1 then 4 then characters you dont know are going to pop up and you wont know what the heck is going on, same with another order
so my advise is go with the order of 1,2,3 and then 4,you dont have to its just my advise
Rental Daughter
BURRNN MY BREEADD
BURRNN MY BREEADD

Post by Rental Daughter »

tasigin wrote:why didnt you get the OVA? that sounds unfair. but there interesting and pretty deep i think. it also gives you more of a picture of whats going on outside of "the world".
it's because Xalioniaf bought them used...sometimes those people that sell it back to stores don't return the OVA...so all you get is the game for the same price as if there were an OVA :evil:

//LIMINALITY doesn't give you too much info...but I still think it was great to watch it...but if you get //QUARANTINE make sure there's an OVA...because the OVA comes with //GIFT and you seriously have to watch that >.<
-Kite

Re: Is it worth watching?

Post by -Kite »

Xalioniaf wrote:Err...I bought all of my .hack games used. Now, while this may seem similar, it's not. You see, so far, the two .hack games I bought didn't come with the OVAs. Now, I was wondering if it's worth watching the OVAs in order to get an idea of the entire storyline.
i dont really know if you should watch it because i've never seen it before, but i'll say give it a try
Snip3rM00n

Post by Snip3rM00n »

The Liminality movies are good, however, you have to watch it from the begining, otherwise you may get confused as to whats going on in the story. So, you should watch it 1-4 in order, especially while you are playing the games.
SilverOcean

Post by SilverOcean »

Whether or not you'll like it, is based on personal taste. Personally I liked the Liminality OVA but you may not. It's not action based, it's very slow, and there is a lot of classical music; and many people don't like (classical music). But if you are a true .hack fan you'll buy it.
kelbywhatley

Post by kelbywhatley »

if u ask me id say if you like the games a whole bunch like me then yes if not and you just wanna play the game beacause of the style or whatever then i dont know it depends on how you like it i think??? :?
Alloisus

Post by Alloisus »

I like them alot. Plus the fourth one has "Gift" on it which is a lot of fun. ^_^ The first one is my least favorite of the four because less seems to happen in it. The characters are all alot of fun, in many ways more endearing then the anime ones imho.
Hidden Blade

Post by Hidden Blade »

Liminality is so worth watching! it rocks! plus the fact that there is gift on the 4th one, as Alloisus said. Gift is funny, you should buy the 4th one new if for no other reason.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Liminality is truly wonderful. All the goodness of .hack//sign with a new cast, a new setting, and a bigger mystery. If you're unable to get your hands on them, here's a link to a good page about them.

http://home.austin.rr.com/tsote/dothack ... _oavs.html

Warning. Spoilers are inside.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I like the Liminality they are good to watch. Each of it goes with when you play so if you are in mutation then it show what happen in the real world while kite and the others are playing. It is not a waste of time watching it unless you want to just see tons of actions.
Zeicule

Post by Zeicule »

Yes, the liminality DVD's are a great insite to what happens in the real world. They're up there with sign in my oppinion.