Poll ended at Mon May 02, 2005 3:18 pm

guy
9%
girl
91%

Total votes: 11

DarK-SuN

Post by DarK-SuN »

I always had inclinations towards Tsukasa being a girl, but I simply took it in the same way as I see "real life gender" while playing an online game: it doesn't really matter till the person decides to say it without being asked, male or female; it's having fun together that counts.

Girls playing male characters is more common than it seems, I had a friend (girl) who played PSO with a male character to ensure real guys wouldn't hit on her.
streed

Post by streed »

Lol, yeah alot of people nowadays have at least one file that's the opposite
gender I do.
cadence

Post by cadence »

DarK-SuN wrote:
I always had inclinations towards Tsukasa being a girl, but I simply took it in the same way as I see "real life gender" while playing an online game: it doesn't really matter till the person decides to say it without being asked, male or female; it's having fun together that counts.

Girls playing male characters is more common than it seems, I had a friend (girl) who played PSO with a male character to ensure real guys wouldn't hit on her.

That's what I always assumed about Tsukasa. Being antisocial and all in the beginning of the series, it made sense that Spoiler:
 with her personality she would choose a male avatar to draw less attention to herself

However, being the way online games are, I doubt that in the future people will assume Spoiler:
 that the gender they see on a screen actually represents the gender of the user... I mean even now like 95% of female characters in games are guys =P

DarK-SuN Edit: god damnit, sorry, I accidentally edited your post instead of quoting it, damn it damn it damn it!
The buttons are so close to each other. >_<
DarK-SuN

Post by DarK-SuN »

However, being the way online games are, I doubt that in the future people will assume  that the gender they see on a screen actually represents the gender of the user... I mean even now like 95% of female characters in games are guys =P
Yep, that's true.
That's why I don't worry about the player's real gender and just focus on having fun with the person; if the person later tells me the gender is diferent from the character's gender, my attitude towards them will not change.

P.S.: Gah, really sorry once again for that accidental edit *kicks the quote button*, I tried to fix your spoiler tags after that, really sorry.
Ryu32

Post by Ryu32 »

MMORPGs...where the men are men...and so are the women...
cadence

Post by cadence »

Ryu32 wrote:MMORPGs...where the men are men...and so are the women...
hahahahahaha

And same here DarK-SuN - good way of putting it.

\/ not quite spoilers, but spoilerish so I'll be safe about it

Not to get too far off topic, but I remember a game I used to play - Ragnarok Online - where whatever gender you registered as limited the gender of your characters...maybe it's rare for people to play as the opposite sex in the future for some reason like that
:shock:
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Bakuryukun wrote:yes but you see that wasn't truly left open to interpretation in the first place...because you already had something in mind....that's just not being specific or not using the right word for something.....not knowing what you mean by the word "heavens" is simply not knowing what you mean.....interpretation would be say if in a movie someone had a gun pointed to their head and then in the next scene it zooms out to the building your in and you hear a gunshot, now they have avoided showing you him actually getting shot and it becomes unclear if he ACTUALLY got shot or not, and it is left up to the viewer to decide for themselves....THAT would be something left up to interpretation....or in this case it's more along the lines of :  Tsukasa and Subaru's relationship is not in the end all that "defined" it doesn't say they got together...but then again it doesn't NOT say this either....besides if you don't like the idea of them getting togther....don't think they did, it's as simple as that....I personannly beleive they did and I'm sticking too that.
You also have to take into account that the creators know what the situation is. The right interpretation is already known, it just isn't known by the fans. Hence my example. The people who made the show would know, they have to, they made it. They had an intended purpose for everything that happened between Tsukasa and Subaru and it was to either show that they were close friends, or lovers. The creators had a conclusion already set and left it up to the fans to figure it out. But just because they left the fans to figure it out, doesn't mean that all interpretations are correct.

Just as I said before, only I knew the meaning of the word "heavens" in the sentence and I left it to you to interpret. I had a conclusion already in mind, but I left it up to you. However, if your conclusion came to be different than mine, the creator, than your interpretation would ultimately be incorrect.

On a side note, is it really necessary to always use the spoiler tags? I mean, this thread is based around one big spoiler, is it possible to just put a "[Spoilers]" tag on the title and let people post freely... It really is a hastle to have to highlight all the censored comments >_<
Bakuryukun

Post by Bakuryukun »

S1lentOp wrote:
Bakuryukun wrote:yes but you see that wasn't truly left open to interpretation in the first place...because you already had something in mind....that's just not being specific or not using the right word for something.....not knowing what you mean by the word "heavens" is simply not knowing what you mean.....interpretation would be say if in a movie someone had a gun pointed to their head and then in the next scene it zooms out to the building your in and you hear a gunshot, now they have avoided showing you him actually getting shot and it becomes unclear if he ACTUALLY got shot or not, and it is left up to the viewer to decide for themselves....THAT would be something left up to interpretation....or in this case it's more along the lines of :  Tsukasa and Subaru's relationship is not in the end all that "defined" it doesn't say they got together...but then again it doesn't NOT say this either....besides if you don't like the idea of them getting togther....don't think they did, it's as simple as that....I personannly beleive they did and I'm sticking too that.
You also have to take into account that the creators know what the situation is. The right interpretation is already known, it just isn't known by the fans. Hence my example. The people who made the show would know, they have to, they made it. They had an intended purpose for everything that happened between Tsukasa and Subaru and it was to either show that they were close friends, or lovers. The creators had a conclusion already set and left it up to the fans to figure it out. But just because they left the fans to figure it out, doesn't mean that all interpretations are correct.

Just as I said before, only I knew the meaning of the word "heavens" in the sentence and I left it to you to interpret. I had a conclusion already in mind, but I left it up to you. However, if your conclusion came to be different than mine, the creator, than your interpretation would ultimately be incorrect.

On a side note, is it really necessary to always use the spoiler tags? I mean, this thread is based around one big spoiler, is it possible to just put a "[Spoilers]" tag on the title and let people post freely... It really is a hastle to have to highlight all the censored comments >_<
I still don't totally agree with your "heavens" analogy but that aside...If you left it up to others to interpret what heavens meant, you wouldn't have any right to tell others that their interpretations are wrong because if you wanted people to think a certain way about it the you the creator should have made it clearer to begin with like saying "Space is infinite" instead of "he heavens are infinite".....besides just because the creator interprets something one way doesn't quite mean that is strictly the correct one....for instance I write Poetry....I have a meaning in mind when I right it too...but I've had some people interpret it in ways I didn't even think off....I don't dismiss these as wrong....but simply accept them as another interpretation....yet again interpretation is NOT about right or wrong...it's simply conjecture and opinion neither of which can be pinned into having right or wrong aspects
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Bakuryukun wrote:
S1lentOp wrote:

I still don't totally agree with your "heavens" analogy but that aside...If you left it up to others to interpret what heavens meant, you wouldn't have any right to tell others that their interpretations are wrong because if you wanted people to think a certain way about it the you the creator should have made it clearer to begin with like saying "Space is infinite" instead of "he heavens are infinite".....besides just because the creator interprets something one way doesn't quite mean that is strictly the correct one....for instance I write Poetry....I have a meaning in mind when I right it too...but I've had some people interpret it in ways I didn't even think off....I don't dismiss these as wrong....but simply accept them as another interpretation....yet again interpretation is NOT about right or wrong...it's simply conjecture and opinion neither of which can be pinned into having right or wrong aspects
When have you EVER known anything in the .hack fanchise to just spoon feed you the story and all the answers like that?
Bakuryukun

Post by Bakuryukun »

S1lentOp wrote:
Bakuryukun wrote:
S1lentOp wrote:

When have you EVER known anything in the .hack fanchise to just spoon feed you the story and all the answers like that?
Never. That's exactly my point....that's why alot of it goes into interpretation in the first place.....and that's why many people have so many diffrent theories on diffrent parts of the storyline.....things which aren't clearly defined in the franchise and thus have no absolute right or wrong answers to them....only opinion and conjecture...
dothacker1189

Post by dothacker1189 »

Kiru wrote:  Yeah ...Ann was her real name,right?
i think tsukasa in japan is like alex or sam in america it goes both wayskuz i remember searching for tsukasa piks for my avatar thingy and i saw male and female japanese ppl [ same # both ways]
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Bakuryukun wrote:Never. That's exactly my point....that's why alot of it goes into interpretation in the first place.....and that's why many people have so many diffrent theories on diffrent parts of the storyline.....things which aren't clearly defined in the franchise and thus have no absolute right or wrong answers to them....only opinion and conjecture...
That's assuming that the creators don't already have an answer for it. Which you don't know but is most likely the case.
Tsunabi

Post by Tsunabi »

I still like to think Tsukasa is a:
 Guy
Although:
 The player of Tsukasa is a girl...
Sephiroth0812

Post by Sephiroth0812 »

Tsunabi wrote:I still like to think Tsukasa is a:
 Guy
Although:
 The player of Tsukasa is a girl...
Well, that isn´t completely wrong if you strictly differ between game and real world... :wink:
In the game world Tsukasa is of course still a  guy...
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Yes, that isn't entirely a bad opinion. After all, Tsukasa was the character, not the player. Also, the player has a different name so it would sort of make sense to still think of the game's Tsukasa as a guy, even if the person playing as him is a girl