Phallic Imagery

Discuss the anime series that started it all, .hack//SIGN and //LIMINALITY

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Phallic Imagery

Post by AuraTwilight »

So after reading the thread on Subliminal Messaging and rewatching some episodes of Sign, I just realized: The Guardian isn't a dumbell; it's manly bits.

I mean, like, look, there's the nyuts, the little goo beam can be....the little goo beam of manly pride...and that Twilight Bracelet in there can be one of those kinky c*ck rings.

BUT! Before you go all "ewwwww how liek totallee imature" there's actually worthy literary symbolism. Tsukasa is a chick posing as a dude in Za Warudo, and he's assigned a Phallus to protect him. Not only does this tie in to his whole "Daddy wanted a Son" theme and the whole thing about gender confusion, but it also plays upon his already existing Oedipus Complex.

Also, it means one more things. Tsukasa doesn't want to log out, because he knows subconsciously that if he does, he'll be, in effect, castrated. He later changes his mind, though, and pulls a Hiiragi.

...yea, I don't know what possessed me to make this thread either. Discuss.
BadRPiggy

Post by BadRPiggy »

Wow :shock: I am not even sure the creators thought that much into it. They were probably like
Man 1:"Well we are really tired of making complex character models why not a dumbell"
Man 2:"Yeah sure the lack of phallic imagery will really prove were straight"
Man 1: "Totally" *start making out*
Dog Dancing1

Post by Dog Dancing1 »

umm....
EWWWWWWWWW!!!
But it does make seens :D in a weird way.
Balmung2

Post by Balmung2 »

Mmmm, phallic imagery. Hey, AT, have any more theories? Seems like you've been thinking about this a lot.

...hey, that's what you meant in your rp! It all makes "seens" now : D.
Ravaan

Post by Ravaan »

Hot. Very hot.

But seriously, I can see what you mean. I'm not sure about an Oedipus Complex though. I mean, It's not like Tsukasa is all hot for her mum, Or at least, if you've got some evidence that An has an Oedipus Complex I'd like to see it.

Good topic though, I'd love to see how far we can take this.

IMHO (G.U. spoilers):  Cubia kinda looks more like one.
Shmittles The Poe

Post by Shmittles The Poe »

With that logic, you could make anything phallic. I suppose the guardian was just the easiest choice to pick on. Then you just have to go through everything that ever happened involving it or anything related to it, and have it symbolize what you're going for.

For instance, a staff. Why is there a big ball at the end of Tsukasa's staff and not BT's? There's probably plenty more stuff to make up on just that subject.

Anyway, with a wide array of 28 episodes to work with, anything could mean what you want... If you look hard enough.
ReiMehari

Post by ReiMehari »

I never even noticed that til now. Ewwwww
shinku

Post by shinku »

That is so totally wrong.... kinda funny though. -snickers-
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

But seriously, I can see what you mean. I'm not sure about an Oedipus Complex though. I mean, It's not like Tsukasa is all hot for her mum, Or at least, if you've got some evidence that An has an Oedipus Complex I'd like to see it.
Oh come on. All Tsukasa ever talks about is his mom, and it's confirmed that he's a lesbian. Connect the dots.
With that logic, you could make anything phallic. I suppose the guardian was just the easiest choice to pick on. Then you just have to go through everything that ever happened involving it or anything related to it, and have it symbolize what you're going for.

For instance, a staff. Why is there a big ball at the end of Tsukasa's staff and not BT's? There's probably plenty more stuff to make up on just that subject.

Anyway, with a wide array of 28 episodes to work with, anything could mean what you want... If you look hard enough.
But of course. That's why literature is awesome. All those book clubs ever do is look for dikkz and verginas in books and stuff. Seriously, I went to one.

And I think BT's staff does have a ball at the end. It just has this wierd elephant ears thing, going on. So it looks more like a phallus than Tsukasa's, symbolizing how she has a certain hole she needs to fill via using the game (Bear, Crim, etc. Cyberwhore *cough*)

AND she's one of the biggest douches in the series. Probably literal on some level.
Azure crow
The Grace of Life
The Grace of Life
Location: Somewhere in the ether, trapped between what is and what could be.

Post by Azure crow »

I have NO idea how you made such a thread,but what amazes me is that it dosn't even fall into the needs to be locked catagory.......you really never cease to amaze me,you know that?
Like I've said though,that dosn't mean I'm about to bow down to you :wink:
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

I really hope this thread is a joke -_-
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

It partly was, but there's a twinge of serious, worthy analysis in there.
shinku

Post by shinku »

And I think BT's staff does have a ball at the end.
I'm pretty sure that most of the wavemaster's weapons have a ball on it.
Shmittles The Poe

Post by Shmittles The Poe »

Meh, close enough. Staff, ball, you get the point.
Ravaan

Post by Ravaan »

AT wrote:But of course. That's why literature is awesome. All those book clubs ever do is look for dikkz and verginas in books and stuff. Seriously, I went to one.
He's right. I do Literature at school. You'd be surprised how many things writers hide away in their books, it takes a lot to get it all out, but it's always interesting to see how much thought they put into it.
Umbra
The Avaricious
The Avaricious

Post by Umbra »

Azure crow wrote:I have NO idea how you made such a thread,but what amazes me is that it dosn't even fall into the needs to be locked catagory.......you really never cease to amaze me,you know that?
There's no need for it to be locked...

1. AT's theory is definitely a valid and serious point.
2. Phallic imagery is common in art and it's definitely something to look in to.

I've always thought that the Guardian could easily be interpreted as phallic imagery.

It could be argued that the phallic imagery of the Guardian is meant to act as a visual metaphor for Tsukasa's masculine alter-ego. Tsukasa hides behind the persona of a man in the same way he hides behind the Guardian; using his PC as a sort of barrier to prevent himself from being hurt in the same way that the Guardian acts as a barrier to prevent any physical damage.

In the same way, the removal from others via the Guardian could represent his alienation from others through his false identity. The Guardian actively prevents him from making physical contact with others to others (eg. The Guardian stops Mimiru from chasing after him). In the same way, his alter-ego alienates him from others even though his true, feminine side wants to make contact.

The Guardian refuses to obey Tsukasa and is even known to have physically hurt him. In the same way, Tsukasa does not have control over the effect his alter-ego has upon himself; his very removal from his true persona causes him harm. It could be said that Tsukasa's eventual fear and dislike of the Guardian represents his yearning to return to his true persona.

So the appearance of the Guardian, I believe, represents the effect of the masculine alter-ego adopted by Tsukasa in order to escape the reality of his true, feminine self.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Umbra, you took everything I tried to say and made it better. *High fives and adds some spikes to that Bigotry Bat*
Azure crow
The Grace of Life
The Grace of Life
Location: Somewhere in the ether, trapped between what is and what could be.

Post by Azure crow »

Umbra wrote:
Azure crow wrote:I have NO idea how you made such a thread,but what amazes me is that it dosn't even fall into the needs to be locked catagory.......you really never cease to amaze me,you know that?
There's no need for it to be locked...
Hence my joke.
Umbra
The Avaricious
The Avaricious

Post by Umbra »

You posted specifically to contribute that? ¬_¬ There is no joke in your statement, and any sarcasm is undetectable.

*Bashes with spiked'd'd Bigotry Bat*
Ravaan

Post by Ravaan »

Whoa, nicely done Umbra. No offense AT, but Umbra did make it better. I'd like to see someone try to argue against this now... Not that they're not entitled to.

I throw my opinion on why  Cubia also falls into the category of phallic imagery out there, but this thread isn't in the right section for that. Unless AT or Umbra give me a go ahead, or this moves to General Chat, I'll keep my mouth shut. :wink:
AT wrote:*High fives and adds some spikes to that Bigotry Bat*
Lawl. Virus Core Hax.