Did you ever get to level 99?

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 3 and 4

Moderator: Moderators

Tack

Did you ever get to level 99?

Post by Tack »

Just curious. And what's your story?

Mine is grinding my level 68 characters in a level 98 zone.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: Did you ever get to level 99?

Post by TheSorrow »

Um...Yep? With ALOT of characters as well....I think with all of them, in fact XD

And what's my story?...Well, throughout the whole game i tried to keep a LOW level, because it was so easy otherwise, and so i tried to avoid battles as much as i could and never go to any unnecessary area. I reached around lv90 or so by the final battle, and finished it at that level. Then i went to the "optional" dungeon at the end of the game, hardest thing ever due to infection level, but i reached lv99 there with Kite and Balmung. And for the rest of the characters...I just took the lv99 Kite and the other characters to the highest-level areas, and by the time i was halfway done with the dungeons, they were lv99 already :P I think characters outside my party would also level up in a smaller amount, so that made it easier to get them to lv99 XD

It was pretty easy and quick overall, i never had to do level grinding (in fact, i did the exact opposite throughout most of the game), and if i had played the game "normally", i would've reached lv99 way before the final battle. Probably against Tarvos or so XD
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Uh wow, you found IMOQ easy? I'm.... mildly impressed .__.

I got to level 99, but it was hell. Also, it didn't help me at all in the bonus dungeon...
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:Uh wow, you found IMOQ easy? I'm.... mildly impressed .__.
Um, yes? Isn't that what i have said ALL the time while talking about IMOQ? XD Yeah, alot harder than the "next generation", and i did have my troubles here and there, some enemies would pwn me badly, and Liches are probably the hardest "normal" enemies in all of the .Hack series besides LINK for now, and i think they'll remain in that spot...but, it wasn't any hard for me to say "Arghh i can't do this X_X" or "********* THIS *********!!!!!!" ...more like "OMG WTF!!!! O-O ....Oh i know!! 8D". If i'm to compare it, it's probably as hard as Uncharted 2 in Hard Mode (not even Crushing), or Final Fantasy VII or VIII XD There's to mention the fact too that i only played it in that self-Low Level challenge...so, i would've found it even easier had i been at average level or higher >3>

Sure enough, in Outbreak and Quarantine the enemies were more complex, full of tolerances and stronger attacks, some pretty much able to lock you and kill you in multiple unavoidable hits, or simply running the heck away from you and over spamming you to death...but that's where you learned to use items (from both Kite and the rest), and to always carry multiple equipment for whatever need might arise...maybe you sometimes needed to do a summon with Kite, or a certain elemental skill to kill the enemies quickly before they outnumbered you (being outnumbered = death ...you just wouldn't have time to even heal, though that only happened in fields and i had much love to Grunties). But...that was the only difficult in the game, really, to learn how to defeat enemies quickly, and learn what to use against each one...you learned that, and you were all set for finishing the game at lv90.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Finishing the game at level 90, eh... the final boss isn't so hard, just tedious. And the reason I found it so tough was that it seemed like liches (and pandora's boxes) were the ONLY enemies that spawned... crap exp and insanely difficult to defeat ._.

There's also a certain Omega server keyword whose name I might have to mention so that other people are aware of it... because you get swarmed by enemies before you even have the chance to open the menu and it's like 10-20 enemies at once and you just get game over'd so fast x_x
Vorbei

Post by Vorbei »

Finished around lv90 as well, and.. was such a huge nerd that I did grind all the way to 99 with every character I cared about. (The main cast + the SIGN characters. The other extras can level their own damn selves. Ity bity lv5 Tsukasa needs a band-aid...)
I never found anything good to level off of by the lv90 mark besides the bracelets. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but they seemed to be the only thing that gave anything close to decent EXP by then.

Also, my TV tuner test video had me feebly (I hadn't played in over a year) trying to level a lv97 Mia and a lv30 something Tsukasa just to see what Tsukasa says when a party member levels up. It took me like an hour. I can't believe I uploaded it. I wanted to throttle Tsukasa by the end.
At least my distressed cry of "Oh nooo!!" was amusing.
Tack

Post by Tack »

Vorbei wrote:Finished around lv90 as well, and.. was such a huge nerd that I did grind all the way to 99 with every character I cared about. (The main cast + the SIGN characters. The other extras can level their own damn selves. Ity bity lv5 Tsukasa needs a band-aid...)
I never found anything good to level off of by the lv90 mark besides the bracelets. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but they seemed to be the only thing that gave anything close to decent EXP by then.

Also, my TV tuner test video had me feebly (I hadn't played in over a year) trying to level a lv97 Mia and a lv30 something Tsukasa just to see what Tsukasa says when a party member levels up. It took me like an hour. I can't believe I uploaded it. I wanted to throttle Tsukasa by the end.
At least my distressed cry of "Oh nooo!!" was amusing.
Yeah, Tsukasa... well  she's a jerk in this one. :? What the hell man?
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Just did straight story. But hunted for 99sports drinks, 99burning oils and so on. All the secret dungeons, all the rare weapons, all bonus dungeons and so on and so forth so my character was usually close to recommended level when I finished a volume. I dodged portals to stay low level both to make the game a little more fun and to progress the story faster, but at the same if there were ever any element maidens I would love to hunt them down and nuke them for quick and massive exp for fun. So I usually didn't stay under leveled for long.
hidora

Post by hidora »

I spent a whole day leveling from 78 to 99 (fighting The Bracelet a LOT of times) so I could go to that post-game dungeon without much problems. When I was at the 14th floor of said dungeon, I lost 600 EXP due to DD going out of control >_>

I haven't played Quarantine ever since I finished that dungeon >_>
zerokoolpsx

Post by zerokoolpsx »

Never got to level 99 actually. My Kite got to level 96 with everyone else at level 95 besides Helba, of course. Tsukasa and Subaru took some grinding.
Smitts

Post by Smitts »

Of course.

How can someone not get lvl99.

nevermind I guess they could if all they care about is beating the game.

I got all of mine to level99 by beating the game first then going back to the hardest dungeon over and over again.
eaglesiegle

Post by eaglesiegle »

So if im correct what makes the last dungeon thats 20 floors so hard is because you have the chance of game over by data draining to much and all the monsters are data bugs so you pretty much have to data drain all of them. so you pretty much can only get to the end of it by luck or is there a way around getting a game over because of the bracelet?
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

eaglesiegle wrote:So if im correct what makes the last dungeon thats 20 floors so hard is because you have the chance of game over by data draining to much and all the monsters are data bugs so you pretty much have to data drain all of them. so you pretty much can only get to the end of it by luck or is there a way around getting a game over because of the bracelet?
Exactly, the only reason why the last dungeon is so freaking hard it's because you're DEFINETLY going to get to the maximum infection level rate and you'll be FORCED to Data Drain at least one more monster at that limit. And nope, once you have the maximum level and do any version of Data Drain, it's entirely up to luck whether you're going to get a Game Over or a EXP/Item/Money lose...i'm sure there's a certain percentage of which is most/least likely to happen, but i'd say that overall, the chances of getting a Game Over on that dungeon (given the least number of monsters you're going to fight and how many of them will be Data Bugs in average) are from 30 to 100%, depending on how "well" you play.

To lower the chances as much as possible, you need to enter to the field with 0% Infection Rate and need to COMPLETELY avoid fighting ANY monsters in the field area, for they're all Data Bugs pretty much (and if you try fighting them all you'll truly see what it's like to have 100% chance of Game Over by floor 6 or so). Then, on the dungeon, you either need to use Fairy Orb, or know the dungeon by memory/guide perfectly so you go through the shortest possible route, and make sure that in EVERY battle, Kite gets to deliver the final blow on all enemies, for that decreases the Infection Rate. Sure, it might not be possible with some enemies, since it could be problematic, time-consuming, or maybe your team members killed it without you noticing it, but you could leave some error margin....just make sure Kite gets to at least kill one of them each battle. ONLY use the basic Data Drain, as 1 Drain Arc on 2 enemies actually increases the infection level higher than 2 separate Data Drains, and, if you're lucky enough, sometimes you'll find groups of 2 non-Data Bug Hydra enemies...treat those as gifts from heaven, and let Kite beat the crap out of them...they can keep you alive for like 3-4 more battles at best. And don't think that, if you go through all rooms, you'll find more Hydras...since those are completely random encounters indeed, and you're most likely to find even more Data Bugs, making it all counter-productive.

So yeah, the hardest thing about it is indeed the high chance of getting a Game Over, and the only thing you can do about it is keep your Infection Rate on inmense control so you decrease such chances as best as possible. And yeah, some enemies can be somewhat hard to defeat...but, this is the IMOQ series we're talking about, and the "hardest" things to expect are simply things that make you actually put your items and equipment to smart use and be more careful with the attacks you make and order :/ And there are no Liches so you can be relaxed about chasing those charming/magic-pamming thingies.
Uberlisten

Post by Uberlisten »

Lol nope, I got to level 75 in outbreak, I don't have quarantine so I wasn't able to continue :|
SpectralAura

Post by SpectralAura »

Yes I done that. Way too easy with Astro Kings & The Bracelet.
Katsu Hikari

Post by Katsu Hikari »

Wow....I think I beat that dungeon at level 8x. I don't really remember. but afterward I did reach lv. 99. then a bad data drain brought him back to 98. Repeated about 9 times till finally he stayed at lv. 99.
SpectralAura

Post by SpectralAura »

Katsu Hikari wrote:Wow....I think I beat that dungeon at level 8x. I don't really remember. but afterward I did reach lv. 99. then a bad data drain brought him back to 98. Repeated about 9 times till finally he stayed at lv. 99.
I had deleveled too in that dungeon, to 98, but never gave up and finished it with ZERO Infection. The worse was with those infected Psyche Visions. >.< (They got me to Red Danger)
Advent_Winter

Post by Advent_Winter »

I reached lvl.99 ten times in a single playthough, thanks to the infection rate on the Twilight Bracelet. Thanks Twilight Bracelet! -_-
TheEnigma
The Beholder of Chaos
The Beholder of Chaos

Post by TheEnigma »

I only need Tsukasa, Elk, and Subaru at level 99. Oh and Kite since I did the final dungeon, i went down 5 levels in there :(
SpectralAura

Post by SpectralAura »

Ouch, it hurts... Did you happen to pass the dungeon?
Yes, its one of the most nasty effects of using Data Drain. I have yet to see the instant Game Over which I never seen in my life.