final legendary land

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 3 and 4

Moderator: Moderators

dominus_draconis

final legendary land

Post by dominus_draconis »

well, it was never actually accessible in any of the games, but, it is mentioned, the one with the eyes, do you think it is a topic gone for good, or do you think it might one day resurface? and, if they ever reimagined the first games, do you think it might be an accessible area?(I mean reimagined in playable form, not another birth :P)
silabus

Post by silabus »

.....i dont understand you.........
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's not accessible, and probably never will be. It's symbolic of the fact that not even Kite will learn everything about Za Warudo.
ReiMehari

Post by ReiMehari »

ah....that makes sense.
TheEnigma
The Beholder of Chaos
The Beholder of Chaos

Post by TheEnigma »

are u talking about that set of floating eyes u see in the sky in outbreak or quarntine? the ones that appeared like the secret dungeon in the first game?
Demon_Skeith

Post by Demon_Skeith »

the first game was explained but the ones in the third and fourth were not.
Twilight Haseo

Post by Twilight Haseo »

In any case, it would have been nice to visit, even if that area was accesible after obtaining a Data Flag, Kite still wouldn't know everything about The World :-)
lukan
Author of "Black And White And..."
Author of "Black And White And..."
Location: Land of Prinnies, DOOD!!! Now with more pancakes!!(member of the Rotton Peaches)

Post by lukan »

......can I get a pic?

>_>
Toszi(don git ut)
Master ZED

Re: final legendary land

Post by Master ZED »

http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/The_Ending_World

I wonder why it's called a legendary land in the first place. If there's an actual area to be had there, why does it never show up at all in R:1's history? Or rather, how do we even know it's a legendary land and not like the santa grunty thing in the skies on Helba's Omega server? The wiki comments say that only the storyline portion comes from analysis, which makes it sound like the eyes actually representing a legendary land is just pure speculation. Is there any further basis for something actually being up there, like maybe a beta screenshot or something showing a strange Quarantine dungeon we never got to see?
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

As I said, just because Kite doesn't access it doesn't mean it's not a Legendary Land. I bet money that there's Lost Grounds Haseo never visits.

As for being "pure speculation", .hack//Analysis is an official published document of facts and truth straight from CC2, and everything in it is 100% canon. If it states the Ending World is a Legendary Land, then it is.

And no, it was never going to be a dungeon. It exists purely for plot and always has.
Master ZED

Post by Master ZED »

AuraTwilight wrote:As for being "pure speculation", .hack//Analysis is an official published document of facts and truth straight from CC2, and everything in it is 100% canon. If it states the Ending World is a Legendary Land, then it is.
But like I said, the Wiki doesn't say that's where the idea of it being a legendary land comes from exactly... though come to think of it, it almost never cites any sources, does it? -_-

*sigh* It's hard to just take someone else's word for it, even if it is an official book. I'm used to finding these things out on my own; the fact that it's called a legendary land at all just suggests to me that something was planned but cancelled, and I love all things dummy and accidental in the gaming world. It's intriguing to think that despite the total absence of any keywords, there might be something in the game data related to the lost land. Finding the data, however, is kinda beyond my ability unless there's some text snippet in the executable that no one's found. :\

Of course, it's always possible nothing was planned, that The Ending World was an afterthought thrown into Analysis just so you'd have more to the story than "They're giant eyeballs" since Kite never goes there. What a sad thought.

Thinking about it now, I wonder if Fragment has/had the Legendary Lands? Probably a discussion for another day, so I'll shut up now.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

But like I said, the Wiki doesn't say that's where the idea of it being a legendary land comes from exactly... though come to think of it, it almost never cites any sources, does it? -_-
It actually DOES say that that's the idea of it being a legendary land comes from there.
*sigh* It's hard to just take someone else's word for it, even if it is an official book. I'm used to finding these things out on my own; the fact that it's called a legendary land at all just suggests to me that something was planned but cancelled, and I love all things dummy and accidental in the gaming world. It's intriguing to think that despite the total absence of any keywords, there might be something in the game data related to the lost land. Finding the data, however, is kinda beyond my ability unless there's some text snippet in the executable that no one's found. :\
The Ending World was never intended to be playable. It was a plot device, like I explained. I searched the data myself, and there's no hints of any secret fields or anything.
Of course, it's always possible nothing was planned, that The Ending World was an afterthought thrown into Analysis just so you'd have more to the story than "They're giant eyeballs" since Kite never goes there. What a sad thought.
Who said it was an afterthought?
Thinking about it now, I wonder if Fragment has/had the Legendary Lands? Probably a discussion for another day, so I'll shut up now.
It doesn't.
Master ZED

Post by Master ZED »

AuraTwilight wrote:The Ending World was never intended to be playable. It was a plot device, like I explained. I searched the data myself, and there's no hints of any secret fields or anything.
To what ends did you go in looking for it? I haven't heard of anyone actually hacking the field/dungeon data, and if there was ever anything to show it exists in the games, it would be there.
AuraTwilight wrote:Who said it was an afterthought?
That's just what it feels like to me. The more Ithink about it, the more it feels like Analysis is what gave the eyes meaning; there was never any legendary land there in the first place until that book. If that's the case, then of course there wouldn't be any dummy data for it since it was never there.

I was kinda hoping there was something still in the game, like Singing Mountain in Chrono Trigger or something, but if that's not the case, my interest in this is pretty much gone. In fact, I shouldn't be surprised at all since the legendary lands that are in the games show up in the data of all four and with the right codes, are accessible even in Infection. It's not like they never had time to add it if there were ever plans to put it in.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

To what ends did you go in looking for it? I haven't heard of anyone actually hacking the field/dungeon data, and if there was ever anything to show it exists in the games, it would be there.
I just borrowed a friend's copy, dumped the ROM, and just looked through it, and there's no traces of unused fields or dungeons or anything. Just because something is a Legendary Land doesn't mean it's playable from our standpoint, but in the .hack universe, there probably exists keywords for it that Kite just never learns.
That's just what it feels like to me. The more Ithink about it, the more it feels like Analysis is what gave the eyes meaning; there was never any legendary land there in the first place until that book. If that's the case, then of course there wouldn't be any dummy data for it since it was never there.
Sure it was. The reason they included it in the first place was because people kept asking about it. If it wasn't their original intent to put it as a Legendary Land with story purposes, why include those eye graphics at all?
I was kinda hoping there was something still in the game, like Singing Mountain in Chrono Trigger or something
Oh God, now I just had a flashback of all of the Ocarina of Time Triforce theories, the save Aeris/Schala quests, and the Unlock Luigi in Mario 64 "Cheats".

.......OW! MY SOUL HURTS! >.<
Master ZED

Post by Master ZED »

AuraTwilight wrote:
I just borrowed a friend's copy, dumped the ROM, and just looked through it, and there's no traces of unused fields or dungeons or anything.
Yeah... that tells me nothing. Did you look for text? Through the graphics in data.bin? Do you know of and use an area viewing program? Did you write your own editor or know someone who did?
AuraTwilight wrote:Sure it was. The reason they included it in the first place was because people kept asking about it. If it wasn't their original intent to put it as a Legendary Land with story purposes, why include those eye graphics at all?
So now you're saying it may have been removed early in development? That just makes me even MORE curious. It's happened to probably every game ever made, sure, but if they got far enough to write in the level to any extent they should've had a scenario like with the other three. The wiki makes no mention of what the story is behind the place. However, the scenarios of the other legendary lands aren't mentioned either, not what the e-mails say nor what Kite's revelation was for each. Is that in Analysis, the Wiki editor conveinently leaving that out like the others?
AuraTwilight wrote:Oh God, now I just had a flashback of all of the Ocarina of Time Triforce theories, the save Aeris/Schala quests, and the Unlock Luigi in Mario 64 "Cheats".

.......OW! MY SOUL HURTS! >.<
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Si ... TP%29.html

Singing Mountain's real. Not in the actual game, but in a demo. At the very least, the existence of the song itself cannot be challenged. I don't cite rumors, but unfortunately one of my projects requires that I chase a few here and there. This is one of those unfortunate times.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yeah... that tells me nothing. Did you look for text? Through the graphics in data.bin? Do you know of and use an area viewing program? Did you write your own editor or know someone who did?
Again, no unusual text or graphics. I just opened up the source code and skimmed through it. *shrug*
So now you're saying it may have been removed early in development? That just makes me even MORE curious. It's happened to probably every game ever made, sure, but if they got far enough to write in the level to any extent they should've had a scenario like with the other three. The wiki makes no mention of what the story is behind the place. However, the scenarios of the other legendary lands aren't mentioned either, not what the e-mails say nor what Kite's revelation was for each. Is that in Analysis, the Wiki editor conveinently leaving that out like the others?
*Head + Desk* Like I keep saying, the Ending World was NEVER planned to be playable. It's symbolism that Kite will never see all the mysteries of Za Warudo.
Singing Mountain's real. Not in the actual game, but in a demo. At the very least, the existence of the song itself cannot be challenged. I don't cite rumors, but unfortunately one of my projects requires that I chase a few here and there. This is one of those unfortunate times.
I KNOW that, but the Singing Mountain was once involved in this big rumor about how it would unlock Schala as a playable character and ****, thus leading to all of that other stuff in my mind.
Master ZED

Post by Master ZED »

I'll list a couple things from my studies, I have no time to look into them right now...

- There are four dummy e-mails in the game. One is from Aura, which is the same as her very first e-mail (to the one that holds the Bracelet...), but with a key difference; it gives the keywords Delta: Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground. The first e-mail from Mia has a dummied duplicate with no changes. Another is from CC Corp explaining the keyword system, which has no in-game counterpart I remember save for Orca's short explanation. Here is the CC Corp letter, edited to add line breaks where the game appears to insert them:
CC Corp wrote:Keyword System CC Corporation

The Keyword System is the generation of an area by combining words in the 3 parts.

Each word has a #Yfactor#W which is required to generate an area. Keeping that in mind will allow you to generate an area you want to create.

In brief, push the X button in the town, near the Chaos Gate.

When you choose New Keyword, in the menu, it will open the Word Entry Screen.

On top of the screen is the Plate to enter the words, which you choose from the bottom left.

You should keep in mind the #YArea Status Window#W on the right.

The 9 factors necessary to generate an area are listed here, but only the significant ones will be explained.

#YField Type:#W It decides the main theme of the field such as grassland or desert. Each theme is dependent on an element, which in turn decides the items and monsters in the area.

#YArea Level:#W Indicates the difficulty of the area. The higher it is, the stronger the monsters and more valuable the items will be.

#YMonsters:#W Changes the monsters designated by the area level to stronger (or weaker) monsters. If used wisely, you can generate areas with a high difficulty, but with weaker monsters.

#YItems:#W Changes the items designated by the area level to higher (or lower) items. If used wisely, you can generate areas with a low difficulty, but with better items.

#YJewels#W will be displayed next to the factor, when words are selected.

If displayed by "Field Type," then the word has a field type factor.

However, the exact field type is unknown.

Finally an explanation about word priority. When selecting words, there are times when different colored jewels will be in the Area Status Window.

This indicates that separate words are designating the same factor. There is a hidden parameter in words which set priority, so in cases like these, words with the higher priority will be chosen.

Words with the higher priority have a #Yred jewel#W. Then yellow and finally blue.

Depending on the combination, the selected effect may be erased, and the area may not be what you had planned on.

Always check all of the priority in the Area Status Window.
The last one is a slightly reworded duplicate of the Aerial Fleet e-mail, much like how Mia's is only slightly reworded.

- The 3rd word Howling does not appear in the list after Infection; it is after the otherwise final 3rd word, Knights. The last word you can get by hacking in all non-story keywords is Den, second-to-last after Infection. Unlike the 2nd word Beginning, which was changed to Darkside starting with Mutation, there is no replacement for this word, it was cut completely.

- The importance of it not appearing from hacking in all non-story keywords, in regards to this thread, is that the legendary land keywords (like Whale and Bitter) aren't storyline words. Howling doesn't show up; it appears at first glance to be a lost storyline keyword. Whatever this word represents can only be found in the first game of the series.
Gemcrim
.hack//legendick
.hack//legendick

Post by Gemcrim »

Since the insides of each legendary dungeons were nothing special, save for the area you fight bosses, I can only wonder what the outside/entrance and boss room would have looked like had this been made into an actual area to play in.
Shmittles The Poe

Post by Shmittles The Poe »

I would wonder about the boss itself. It would have to be pretty awsome.
Alkaid_loves_Haseo
Arena Empress
Arena Empress

Post by Alkaid_loves_Haseo »

I agree. :D