Ever notice?

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 3 and 4

Moderator: Moderators

Tsugasa-kun

Ever notice?

Post by Tsugasa-kun »

I just borrowed Quarantine off my friend to finish the final side quest with Mia and the 15 level dungeon.

If you use sora's blades and attack a data bug long enough its health actually goes down to half way. for me it stops at 0617/!*$2

Anyone ever notice that? also it lowers the infection increase as well. I pulled a string load of data drains doing that on like floor 6, and i started that floor in the danger zone
Ressic

Post by Ressic »

I did know that you can only drop a data bug's life bar down to 1/2. I remember testing it once, can't remember if it was on one of the earlier bugs in part 1 or 2, or if I just found the weakest non-boss bug I could after I had a level 99 party.

Never did bother to do much testing on how the remaining life of the bug affects how much infection you get from draining it. That might be worth looking a little closer at.

It seemed to me, last time I played, that the Phases tend to jump your infection up into the green when you haven't drained anything for a long time before the Phase battle, meaning your infection level should be about 0 when you walk into that fight. And the Phases do have gobs more HP than most anything else you fight, so there might actually be something to that.
ReiMehari

Re: Ever notice?

Post by ReiMehari »

Zer0 wrote:
Tsugasa-kun wrote:I just borrowed Quarantine off my friend to finish the final side quest with Mia and the 15 level dungeon.

If you use sora's blades and attack a data bug long enough its health actually goes down to half way. for me it stops at 0617/!*$2

Anyone ever notice that? also it lowers the infection increase as well. I pulled a string load of data drains doing that on like floor 6, and i started that floor in the danger zone
Yeah. That's how I did it.
As did I.
Amarande

Post by Amarande »

Ressic wrote: Never did bother to do much testing on how the remaining life of the bug affects how much infection you get from draining it. That might be worth looking a little closer at.

It seemed to me, last time I played, that the Phases tend to jump your infection up into the green when you haven't drained anything for a long time before the Phase battle, meaning your infection level should be about 0 when you walk into that fight. And the Phases do have gobs more HP than most anything else you fight, so there might actually be something to that.
To the first point here ... AFAIK the answer to how much Data Bug HP affects infection is "it doesn't" and the same for HP and Phases.

Infection gain is affected by exactly one thing - the difference between Kite's level and the level of the enemy that he is Data Draining. Each time you Data Drain, you gain between 7 and 20 infection points depending on the level difference. According to the Data Drain Guide at GameFAQs, an enemy four or more levels below Kite gives +7 infection, and an enemy nine or more levels above Kite gives +20, with a +1 difference in infection gained per enemy level in between these bounds (e.g., an enemy that's the same level as Kite gives +11, two levels higher +13, one level less +10, etc.). Hit points don't seem to matter, just level.

This Data Drain Guide appears to be valid for all four games, as long as you use basic Data Drain, since it was written for Infection so the other three skills aren't covered. Drain Arc seems to give the same amount of Infection as individually Data Draining the same monsters would (but IIRC only checks once for an out-of-control effect, which means if you get the opportunity to DD more than one monster at once, you probably should); 2128 Drain gives substantially more infection than basic, and I'm not exactly sure just how much more (DO NOT USE THIS IN MIA'S DUNGEON); Drain Heart appears to be no worse than using 2128 Drain separately on the same enemies.

Phases give more Infection because all Phases are level 99 (so most players fight them many levels below and get the max +20 from DDing them); it doesn't seem to be anything different to do with the Phases themselves.

Most of the Data Bugs in Mia's dungeon are level 95, so if you are level 99, you should only gain the +7 from each one; it is really recommended to be level 99 simply for this alone (you can survive battles at a lower level but the Infection will hit you even harder).
Skyph

Post by Skyph »

ok well i played the game through without dying even once, when i reached the 15 lvl dungeon i was lvl 93 !!! still sometimes my infection lvl was delvled to green, and sometimes i was red 5 lvls of the dungeon.
in the end i reached the final boss with a green-yellow infection lvl o.O

so i played the whole game in 80h 35m

ryu books and the other things were already almost finished, and ya i played the game only once

the only thing missing is the item event but that sucks xD
Daichi

Post by Daichi »

i tried the ddungeon 2 times.

first, i *********** glithed it all up in the last portal.
2'nd time, i didn't meet that much bugs, so my inf. lv. was green.

I THREW AWAY WAND WANNABE!(by a mistake) - what is it??
Ravaan

Post by Ravaan »

I did that... but didn't realize it lessened the impact on the infection percentage. >_>

Stupid Ravvie, stupid Ravvie. *headdesk*
Last edited by Ravaan on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
shio

Post by shio »

Tsugasa-kun wrote:I just borrowed Quarantine off my friend to finish the final side quest with Mia and the 15 level dungeon.

ive actually sat there and done this with blades other than sora's, its hard to do and takes long time but it is possible :P
lukan
Author of "Black And White And..."
Author of "Black And White And..."
Location: Land of Prinnies, DOOD!!! Now with more pancakes!!(member of the Rotton Peaches)

Post by lukan »

I didn't want Mia, but I did it anyway to say I had all the characters,
But I figured the data bug hp thing on accident, It wasn't a big surprise.
I just thought maybe Kite's new bracelet had something for that (sue me for imaginations)

>_>
Toszi
Amarande

Post by Amarande »

BTW, on the subject of Sora's Blades and Data Drain -

Damage dealt through the Death special addon ability does not count as either physical or magical damage, and therefore never counts at all towards Protect Break. This isn't so important with Data Bugs, but with normal monsters, you really don't want to use Sora's Blades, because there's too much chance that you'll Death the enemy and leave them without enough remaining HP to protect break them ...
Daichi

Post by Daichi »

Amarande wrote:BTW, on the subject of Sora's Blades and Data Drain -

Damage dealt through the Death special addon ability does not count as either physical or magical damage, and therefore never counts at all towards Protect Break. This isn't so important with Data Bugs, but with normal monsters, you really don't want to use Sora's Blades, because there's too much chance that you'll Death the enemy and leave them without enough remaining HP to protect break them ...
nothing is perfect. not even soras blades
Balmung2

Re:

Post by Balmung2 »

Daichi wrote:
Amarande wrote:BTW, on the subject of Sora's Blades and Data Drain -

nothing is perfect. not even soras blades
...Umm, duh?

Anyways- I just finished the dungeon yesterday, and i noticed that. I was pleased, because Sora's blades are all I really ever use. *so happy I got Mia*
Man, I wish I had known this sort of thing earlier though. Would have helped me out in a lot of places.
.hack//Subaru

Post by .hack//Subaru »

I used Sora's blades as well, but I didn't know that constantly attacking a data bug would lower your Danger. I just went through the dungeon hoping and praying to get normal enemies to fight.

I got through on my second try, but I wish I would've known this =\, this would've saved alot of 'stress'.