.hack//New World Shutting Down

User avatar
(Phantom) Thief
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 554
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:27 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby (Phantom) Thief » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Vallen wrote:The thing with Japan, though, is that they prefer portable and mobile gaming. Console sales are on the decline. For instance, the recently released Final Fantasy XV sold 57% less than 2010's Final Fantasy XIII - keeping that in mind, Final Fantasy XV as of now is the best selling PS4 game in Japan. It sold less than half, yet it is now the best selling software of the system. That's how bad console gaming has become over there.

So I would argue that mobile games are the way to go. Look at the Nintendo SWITCH, they even made the "home console" into a "portable console."
The issue with .hack is the lack of consistency. CC2 failed at maintaining a consistent story ever since the GU days. The various scattered pieces of .hack media vary from online books, Japan exclusive artbooks, move-game hybrid packs, Japanese mobile apps, and so on. It's very difficult to keep up with the series, both in terms of owning it and understanding the plot.

I would even say that CC2 lost .hack's identity, they don't know what it is anymore. The entire series needs to either be rebooted, or disregard the side media (such as mobile games as non canon) and proceed with a sequel to GU. Everything that started with LINK was a mess.

My hope at this point is to see the resurgence of .hack when CC2 becomes CC3.


Maybe. Personally I feel like the series kept that problem because of how they operate. The jump from Legend of the Twilight with the Radio Drama (Bah who really counts the drama) to THE END OF The World (which misses Chap Chop Case sadly) to Roots Radio Drama (Eh who really counts this one either) to Roots with Alcor to CELL a little before G.U. with Online Jack to Returner (and to maybe just maybe the end of Peaco's Story) is Rough...

Falions wrote:
SSJScygoku wrote:Since Project NU was suppose to have several media (or at least not just New World) i'm hoping to see some new info after New Year ^^'

I don't know, seeing as it's been over a year since the NU announcement and all we got was the iPhone game. The only thing I have hope for is something happening on the series' 15th anniversary next year.


*Crosses Figures*

Vallen wrote:
Avatar_Crim wrote:I wouldn't say the marketing is what has caused lack of success. Well, maybe some, but I'd be more inclined to say it was due to the general public's lack of interest. While fan bases are out there. I think it hit its peak, and other things came in and just took the spot light, and while sao or log horizon are things and brought back interest to the genre, it's not bringing people to dot hack.


I personally think .hack could ride the hype wave generated by modern series like sao and attract the fan base, if Bamco and CC2 stop sitting on their ass and actually put out games/movies, they could actually have "free marketing" because people are once again aware of the "stuck in a video game" concept.


Agreed. Stuck in Another World and Reincarnation Series are everywhere nowadays. IE: Sword Art Online, Log Horizon, Only Sense Online, Btoom!!!, The New Gate, Overlord, I am called "Black Healer" in Another World , Vermilion, Reincarnated as a Slime, Real Account, RE: Zero and Kumo Desu Ka?. Also as for the earlier mention on peak, my personal opinion is that these series are booming because the type of POV they use with their stories. (Which I have read some of the above) Where with other than ,hack//Link, .hack//SIGN and .hack//Epitaph of Twilight the main characters weren't the same as the people stuck in the game.

--------

I like where the newer series seem to have gone with their stories. However my personal gripe focuses on the game-play of the newer material. Theses Mobiles games are different and entertaining. And I like them however I'm just getting the hang of how to get the most out of everything there is to offer from a mobile game series. Gasha to find out everything there is to find hurt me a little as a collector of everything in .hack games and I also enjoy having full character voices. (In my opinion the bets thing you can do is record each event, and save what can to get the content at the end of the service. But that's my idea so don't go using it without giving me some credit, just saying...).

What I do appreciate other than the things I mentioned earlier however is that these games are free and that there are very nice character designs for the newer games.The Phantoms from Guilty Dragon along with D.D. Alregion (I won't forget about you my *hugs* or you Navico Xth *double hugs*) and Crying Princess are ABSOLUTELY okay my book.

Also I was thinking about it but it looks like CC2 might be trying to move away from .hack as a whole in the first place or that they weren't planning for these series to go in this particular direction. Both Guilty Dragon and New World were a dot-hack concept and Project N.U. . And only became .hack//Guilty Dragon: The Sin Dragon and The 8 Curses, and .hack//New World: Maiden of Silver Tears AFTER the developers felt the games' storytelling started to drift more into that direction: a case of the past of a series overwhelming its future or the future of the series lining very well with its past. And the same could happen with Project Layer, if the the fans push the story-line in that direction. Although that would be pretty hard considering its a user driven and created multimedia series. (which for all know Project Layer may have been working from some of the original plans for Project N.U. before it became .hack//New World (Which now that I think about it does make more since that it was renamed that way when I think back titles like Project G.U., however that's not what actually happened as explained by CyberConnect2)) It could be possible that CC2 are planning to jump back in time at some point. Like they did with .hack//Epitaph of Twilight and the background points for .hack//Link. Other than that hidden financial problem could be an issue as well or even odd a Square Enix Syndrome where they are planning to do something big but are having to multitask a lot in the meantime.

For the record the last of the series .hack//Bullet is very cool I'm fine with it as is and enjoy the back and forth combo between Real Life Investigator and The World that it presents. Kinda reminds me of a cross between Another Birth, SIGN and Liminality.
Last edited by (Phantom) Thief on Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vallen
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:39 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby Vallen » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:09 pm

Here is the final message to fans from .hack//New World:

Everyone who played ".hack // New World" Thank you very much. Since the ". Hack" series will continue to evolve towards a new stage from now on, thank you for your continued support. # New World


The next new stage of .hack... hmmmm

User avatar
SSJScygoku
.hack//expert
.hack//expert
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby SSJScygoku » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:55 pm

(Phantom) Thief wrote:Agreed. Stuck in Another World and Reincarnation Series are everywhere nowadays. IE: Sword Art Online, Log Horizon, Only Sense Online, Btoom!!!, The New Gate, Overlord, fricken Awesome Black Mage Girl, Vermilion, Reincarnated as a Slime, Real Account, RE: Zero and Kumo Desu Ka?. Also as for the earlier mention on peak, my personal opinion is that these series are booming because the type of POV they use with their stories. (Which I have read some of the above) Where with other than ,hack//Link, .hack//SIGN and .hack//Epitaph of Twilight the main characters weren't the same as the people stuck in the game.


I hadn't heard of afew of these titles,heck I remember reading at a manga contest? in Japan most of the entries were from this genre so the next contest said not to have entries from it xD I have to agree with the series I had watched/read that the POV really helps distinguish each series and makes its twist on the genre appealing in its own way. Although not all of .hack's protagonists were stuck in a game that aspect is a crucial part of .hack's identity and allows world building/expansion to not solely focusing on the online/new world side of things.


(Phantom) Thief wrote:I like where the newer series seem to have gone with their stories. However my personal gripe focuses on the game-play of the newer material. Theses Mobiles games are different and entertaining. And I like them however I'm just getting the hang of how to get the most out of everything there is to offer from a mobile game series. Gasha to find out everything there is to find hurt me a little as a collector of everything in .hack games and I also enjoy having full character voices. (In my opinion the bets thing you can do is record each event, and save what can to get the content at the end of the service. But that's my idea so don't go using it without giving me some credit, just saying...).


^^' Given there isn't too much content in the mobile games I'd really love if they make a bonus disc with Guilty Dragon/New World if they finally get round to making more console games. Its great that they occasionally bring out artbooks for the mobile games (hopefully another is due soon) so we can appreciate the astounding talent put into all of the in-game cards.

I think people were doing playthroughs of the mobile games to essentially save the games in a format we can all see,hopefully they have backups incase youtube removes them ^^'
ImageImage

User avatar
Falions
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby Falions » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:46 am

Vallen wrote:Here is the final message to fans from .hack//New World:

Everyone who played ".hack // New World" Thank you very much. Since the ". Hack" series will continue to evolve towards a new stage from now on, thank you for your continued support. # New World


The next new stage of .hack... hmmmm

Not a console game, not a mobile game, but... a board game. :lol:

User avatar
Vallen
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:39 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby Vallen » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Falions wrote:
Vallen wrote:Here is the final message to fans from .hack//New World:

Everyone who played ".hack // New World" Thank you very much. Since the ". Hack" series will continue to evolve towards a new stage from now on, thank you for your continued support. # New World


The next new stage of .hack... hmmmm

Not a console game, not a mobile game, but... a board game. :lol:


A pachinko machine

User avatar
Falions
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby Falions » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Vallen wrote:
Falions wrote:
Vallen wrote:Here is the final message to fans from .hack//New World:

Everyone who played ".hack // New World" Thank you very much. Since the ". Hack" series will continue to evolve towards a new stage from now on, thank you for your continued support. # New World


The next new stage of .hack... hmmmm

Not a console game, not a mobile game, but... a board game. :lol:


A pachinko machine

Image

User avatar
SSJScygoku
.hack//expert
.hack//expert
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby SSJScygoku » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:28 am

xD Oddly enough i'm surprised there hasn't been a board game with the variety of merch thats come out over the last few years. Next thing you know we'll have .hack//Monopoly, don't pass Go,don't collect Virus Cores :P
ImageImage

User avatar
(Phantom) Thief
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 554
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:27 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby (Phantom) Thief » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Falions wrote:
Vallen wrote:
Falions wrote:
Vallen wrote:Here is the final message to fans from .hack//New World:

Everyone who played ".hack // New World" Thank you very much. Since the ". Hack" series will continue to evolve towards a new stage from now on, thank you for your continued support. # New World


The next new stage of .hack... hmmmm

Not a console game, not a mobile game, but... a board game. :lol:


A pachinko machine

Image


SSJScygoku wrote:xD Oddly enough i'm surprised there hasn't been a board game with the variety of merch thats come out over the last few years. Next thing you know we'll have .hack//Monopoly, don't pass Go,don't collect Virus Cores :P


Do you wish to know the truth?...

Do not be afraid...

Look closely,...

This is the truth that you have been searching for!!!

Image

Anyway I wouldn't tempt CC2. .hack has already covered a few a plays, card games, the radio, visual novels and gacha machines

User avatar
Falions
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby Falions » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:40 pm

(Phantom) Thief wrote:
Do you wish to know the truth?...

Do not be afraid...

Look closely,...

This is the truth that you have been searching for!!!

Image

Anyway I wouldn't tempt CC2. .hack has already covered a few a plays, card games, the radio, visual novels and gacha machines


This is old, right...?

User avatar
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department
Posts: 1284
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:44 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby Erroneous » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:04 am

Falions wrote:This is old, right...?


Yes, 2005-06 I believe, when the .hack//TheWorld magazines first started being published in Japan. There were various other character sheets for that table-top role-play.

User avatar
(Phantom) Thief
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 554
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:27 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby (Phantom) Thief » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:12 am

Erroneous wrote:
Falions wrote:This is old, right...?


Yes, 2005-06 I believe, when the .hack//TheWorld magazines first started being published in Japan. There were various other character sheets for that table-top role-play.


Of course but the point is, they've done it before and dagnabbit I wouldn't put it past them to do it again. So beware...

User avatar
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department
Posts: 1284
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:44 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby Erroneous » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:22 am

(Phantom) Thief wrote:I wouldn't put it past them to do it again. So beware...


Why wait? I have all the scans for .hack//Table-Top-RPG up on that photobucket, and there are translators here on this site who have done a great job at .hack//LINK, .hack//fragment, and .hack//Bullet; with the scans and their help someone could either make a PDF file of English game rules or a mobile phone app for this D&D style of gameplay.

User avatar
Vallen
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:39 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby Vallen » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Sooooooo, we reviving the table top game in 2017 or what LOL?
(I love how the total lack of .hack is making us do random stuff like this :p)

User avatar
(Phantom) Thief
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 554
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:27 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby (Phantom) Thief » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:01 pm

Maybe, it might be fun. And people have done it before. But who would be the GM? Also guess we could just post every thing in the RP forum? How long would story go? Argh .hack//Infinity XXXX begin!!!

User avatar
SSJScygoku
.hack//expert
.hack//expert
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby SSJScygoku » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:42 am

Falions wrote:I don't know, seeing as it's been over a year since the NU announcement and all we got was the iPhone game. The only thing I have hope for is something happening on the series' 15th anniversary next year.


True but on the over hand New World just finished, maybe they only want one game project at a time? Or atleast I hope thats the case ^^'

:D Fingers crossed we'll see something next year!
ImageImage

User avatar
Vallen
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:39 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby Vallen » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:18 pm

Well, New Year Eve is upon us, half the world already entered 2017. I guess 2016 puts an end to the //New World chapter of (dot)hack. Cheers to a happy year and the 15th anniversary of (dot)hack!

User avatar
databug
.hacker
.hacker
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:29 am

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby databug » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:48 am

A true way to see if .hack// has any staying power would be to do a PS4 PS2 classics bundle of the original 4 games and .hack//Liminality in all regions (not just Japan) just to see how well it goes now as people seem to think SAO was first. And also it can also lead to .hack//GU and Link to be released in all Regions.

Hay imaging if the PS4 had VR Support for the .hack// games?
Image

User avatar
SSJScygoku
.hack//expert
.hack//expert
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby SSJScygoku » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:04 pm

databug wrote:A true way to see if .hack// has any staying power would be to do a PS4 PS2 classics bundle of the original 4 games and .hack//Liminality in all regions (not just Japan) just to see how well it goes now as people seem to think SAO was first. And also it can also lead to .hack//GU and Link to be released in all Regions.

Hay imaging if the PS4 had VR Support for the .hack// games?


xD It make make a comparison by SAO fans and others much easier as they wouldn't need to fork out several hundred dollars to play .hack//IMOQ at the very least,plus most fans would purchase the new release for support of .hack~

:D It would make sense to see a VR .hack game~
ImageImage

emptyazureskies
.hacker
.hacker
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:00 pm

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby emptyazureskies » Fri May 05, 2017 12:50 am

Sao game makers had an interview saying they will not have a VR game.. so do hack can? If someone makes that phone app for .hack table top for the love of aura let me know and send me a copy.. I would by a VR just for dothack.. obviously..

User avatar
SSJScygoku
.hack//expert
.hack//expert
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: .hack//New World Shutting Down

Postby SSJScygoku » Fri May 05, 2017 2:35 am

emptyazureskies wrote:Sao game makers had an interview saying they will not have a VR game.. so do hack can? If someone makes that phone app for .hack table top for the love of aura let me know and send me a copy.. I would by a VR just for dothack.. obviously..


xD ah I missed the info about their not being an SAO VR game, turned out it was misinformation. Who knows,I'd really hope to see a VR .hack game made as it would suit the series to a T :D
ImageImage


Return to “// New World Vol. 1: Maiden of Silver Tears”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users