.hack//The Movie - Plot Summery (Long + Spoiler Filled)

wccbf72

.hack//The Movie - Plot Summery (Long + Spoiler Filled)

Post by wccbf72 »

Hello everyone!

So, like a lot of fans I have been dying to know the full story of the .hack movie, since it was announced last year. Sadly, even with the BluRay release, it was of no help to me (as I lack a BR player, though I hear there is a DVD version available - anyone got info on this??? )

However, thanks to a YouTuber - TwinSanity (the same guy who is uploading a play through of //Versus), I was given a complete summary of the movie. All credit goes to him, but I wouldn't feel right not sharing this with the .hack community. Here you are!

***The spoiler box below is extremely spoiler heavy. If you don't want to spoil the movie, don't read it. You have been warned.
***I did not write the below, so any inaccuracies I apologize for in advance.

The movie starts off in the real world of 2024 with Sora Yuuki. Sora is an 8th grader who is kind of timid in a way, despite the fact she has 4 friends Tomohiko, Kakeru (her male friends), Tokura, and Kaho ( Her female friends Kaho being her closest friend) but for some reason whenever they ask her to hang out after school she declines and heads straight home or only goes halfway. Its revealed that all of her friends ( in fact most of Japan including her grandfather) are into "The World", which has become more portable than ever now that it can be played on cellphones with or without an FMD, though Sora is not which is one of the reasons why she stays to herself.
Later in the movie Sora began to wonder about "The World' and begins to wonder about how fun it is so he ask her digi-pet (?) ( not really sure what to call him) Makoto who responds by downloading a copy of "The World" on her phone with her premade character as Kite, but after seeing it Sora signs out and goes to sleep. The next day Kakeru gives her an FMD and she signs into "The World" for the first time as Kite. Similar to the other .hack heroes she doesn't know anything about how to play and as such she is pretty embarrassed when she runs around town with alot of icons above her head. In her embarrassment she run to an empty area of town, then time stops around her and Aura appears in front of her (now in adult form), though she is not alone there is also a black shadow which appears to want to stop her from meeting Sora. The black shadow attacks but she is able to fend them off with the help of some allys that appear called Sopia (created by CCCorp) and implants a cube of data into Sora before vanishing, afterwards Sora logs out. This causes an irregularity in the data which is picked up by the U.S pentagon and as such they send David to Japan.
The next day Sora logs in and is discovered by Dasha (Tokura) and Masaru & Sabin ( Kaho) who she begins to spend time leveling with, through them she gains the misunderstanding that Kakeru is Baldor which causes a bit of awkwardness between the 3 when Balrdor confesses to her one night . After a leveling montage she begins to level alone and is attacked by the black shadow who proceeds to grow after absorbing alot of Sophias, after being cornered she then accidentally uses Aura's power which dispel of the shadow.
On the way home from school she runs into Kakeru who ask her to meet him in the usual spot in "The World" but due to the awkwardness between them she ignores the offer and doesn't log into the world that day. The next day Kakeru found comatose and put into the hospital. At this point David is in Japan and runs into Sora on her way home. He tells who he is and the fact that he knows everything about her Aura and the black shadow thats been after her, after discussing it with Tomohiko they agree to meet with him. David explains that the black shadow is a data anomaly is not only affecting "The World" but also affecting the real world ( in a similar way to the phases or Aida) and its power is escalating at a very fast pace as it absorbs the players. After confirming that stopping the anomaly will save Kakeru Sora agrees to and they devise a plan before parting ways. Just before they can part ways they meet with Sora's Grandfather ( sorry not sure what his name is) and he agrees to help out with the operation.
Upon logging into the world Sora meets up with her grandfather who is now accompanied by her grandmother , Masaru & Sabin and David, they then take her grandfathers ship and proceed to head to Auras (?) statue in the center of town. While they're doing this in the real world Tomohiko is sending messages to rally troops to help them. The trip to Aura's Statue is not an easy one as they attacked by the data anomaly and its absorbed Sophias that are now referred to as data bugs. During one if the attacks Sora is knocked off of the ship, however she is rescued by Dasha who drops her off at the base of the now falling statue. As she progress up the she is almost caught by the data anomaly but is saved by Baldor crashing into it. At this point David begins an upload to Makoto that stops time momentarily that stops time for everything but Sora almost allowing her to reach the top, but once it wears off she is stopped by 2 tentacles created by the data anomaly. Through her force of will and desire to save her friends the Aura's data within her evolves and she pulls away losing her arm and leg in the process. Upon reaching the top of statue she enters into Aura's garden and sees Aura (now in child form) tending to her garden even though her area is slowly being consumed by darkness. Sora pleads for Aura to help her and after a short while Aura walks over to her and removes the now evolved data that she put into Sora and uses it to grow into her previous adult form and destroy the data anomaly.
With the battle now over Kakeru comes out of his coma and is soon released from the hospital. Tomohiko confesses to Sora in the real world this time she kinda changes topics and they both run up to Kakeru ending the movie.
Tolby

Re: .hack//The Movie - Plot Summery (Long + Spoiler Filled)

Post by Tolby »

I thought she turns him down. I thought I heard her say gomena after the confession. Which, in anime at least, is a no.
wccbf72

Post by wccbf72 »

Well, I just saw the movie... and I found a couple of things missing from the above. I didn't get the impression that she turned him down, just that it was once again an 'awkward moment' that she just chose to avoid.

My Japanese is nearly 0 (I know maybe... 10 words) but correct me if I am wrong here, but at the end of the movie (after the Network Crisis is resolved), on the news, when it is talking about CC Corp, did it finally get shut down? That is what it seemed like to me (they seemed to be loading up all their stuff into trucks, the executives got arrested, etc). It wouldn't surprise me, as this seriously seemed to be like... THE Network Crisis to end all.
lamarfll

Post by lamarfll »

Tolby wrote:I thought she turns him down. I thought I heard her say gomena after the confession. Which, in anime at least, is a no.
"Gomen ne" means "I'm sorry".
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

lamarfll wrote:
Tolby wrote:I thought she turns him down. I thought I heard her say gomena after the confession. Which, in anime at least, is a no.
"Gomen ne" means "I'm sorry".
I know. Again, in anime at least, a "sorry" usually means you've been turned down. Its a quick and easy answer that is easy and less awkward on the person being confessed to. I dont know if that was the case in this movie, as it did LOOK like she changed the subject and ran off to avoid him. However, the summary is really basic. I got all that from watching and I dont speak Japanese, so Im wondering how specific this guy is and if he actually understood it completely or on a level of someone who doesn't speak Japanese.
wccbf72

Post by wccbf72 »

Well, I don't doubt that Sora turned him down. After all, even avoiding the subject, would basically be a rejection when on the spot like that.

Anyway - from my gathering on the guy who I got the summary from, he does understand a bit of Japanese (more than I do at least). The reason I had asked him for it, and decided to post it here, was for people who can't / wont import it, and who have qualms with watching it online. For those people, who are still dying for information about the film, this is probably the best that they have right now.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

She just changed the subject. There was no resolution on the love triangle at all. Which makes it even more annoying that the future of .hack centers around Tanaka.

Anyway, see my thread in the Versus forum for more details about what happened .hack-wise in the movie. David basically tells us about everything except Mama. Come to think of it, NAB agents have a huge problem with giving absolutely all of their classified information to Japanese schoolgirls... Between Sakuya and Sora we know almost everything. And Pi wouldn't even talk to Fluegel about it!
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

Because most of the details about  mama were withheld, do you think there are one or two more runs for the series? All though we haven't receive the traditional .hack game (Link & Versus are awesome BTW - Together they are that full game plus that I'm talking about.), I have a feeling there will be another addition to the series with an anime, novel (Bullet serves this role) or game.  (BTB The day we see Gondo (Orca) with Data Drain is the day .hack has a complete role reversal.)
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

There's definitely something new coming. I doubt he'll still play as Gondo though, that would just look weird. Thanatos Report tells us mainly everything though. The main unresolved issue is something that OVA itself introduces. If they changed the last minute of the OVA they could have finally ended .hack.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

I am EXTREMELY lost but from what I was able to gather, what are these Sophias? Like spiritual successors of the Azure Knights?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

You already found it, but the thread I referenced is: http://dothackers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=18889
eaglesiegle

Post by eaglesiegle »

Is there anyone who has subbed the movie yet. I plan on ordering it soon for my collection but i want to watch it also without a summery.
(Phantom) Thief

eaglesiegle wrote:Is there anyone who has subbed the movie yet. I plan on ordering it soon for my collection but i want to watch it also without a summery.
Yes. The movie is subbed online. Do you have the physical version? Because you can find the information with a search engine. Also for the curious this took some time to research but copyrights do allow personal translations as long as they are undistributed to the public as a duplication of that work. Patches and Subs are illegal and modify the original content. But translation can be legal supposing the work acts as a screen alongside the original content. Hmm. This gives me a software idea. No. >.< Auto protect.
Last edited by (Phantom) Thief on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

(Phantom) Thief wrote:
eaglesiegle wrote:Is there anyone who has subbed the movie yet. I plan on ordering it soon for my collection but i want to watch it also without a summery.
Yes. The movie is subbed online. Do you have the physical version? Because you can find the information with a search engine. Also this took some time to research but copyrights do allow personal translations as long as they are undistributed to the public as a duplication of that work. Patches and Subs are illegal and modify the original content. But translation can be legal supposing the work acts as a screen alongside the original content. Hmm. This gives me a software idea. No. >.< Auto protect.

You mind finding one for us instead of just telling us about!?!
(Phantom) Thief

Keyaki wrote:You mind finding one for us instead of just telling us about!?!
An administrator would block the link. Plus this site still claims to support anti piracy so confirming the existence of a sub is a pretty fair tradeoff. Just use the correct keywords. I think sub .hack and beyond the world should work with some scrolling. Furthermore aren't you more frustrated with the attitude of my post than a lack of the url? If so guess I could have worked on the wording more.