Alright I'm still lost.

Bullet Biter

Alright I'm still lost.

Post by Bullet Biter »

Hey 'sup. Yeah I know Quantum came out like forever ago, but even after watching it like 6 times and looking up information online I'm still kinda lost?
Like was there a supplemental book that cleared up some things? Because Reiko was just all up in this thing making me raise my eyebrow a few times and at the end it just felt unfinished?

Can someone clear up what the hell even happened in this series for me because I feel stupid not understanding what went on.
Izanagidonutz

Re: Alright I'm still lost.

Post by Izanagidonutz »

I don't get it either. It just started getting good and bam, ending.
Kazetrigger

Post by Kazetrigger »

I haven't watched it in a while, but I'll try my best to explain it.

Quantum involves three friends who adventure in The World. Soon they meet Hermit, a modified cat character who is actually the spirit(?) or conscience of a deceased boy who was one of the Lost One coma victims (supposedly attacked by AIDA). He has been living in The World looking for friends while his body is dead. Because he is a data anomoly, he and the main characters attract the Sofias which are a new addition in security to the game created by Saeka Reiko (the person behind Pi and Shamrock). One of the friends, Etou, is attacked by a Sofia and becomes one herself. The Sofias are supposedly being controlled by what we assume is Morganna. The remaining characters try to understand what is going on and eventually find out that Hermit's player died. Hermit finds out that he's dead and is angry, so he becomes infected by AIDA/Morganna and tries to destroy The World.

The characters (especially Sakuya) make him realize that he has friends in them and he calms down. Hermit realizes that things can't go back to normal unless he stops existing, so he has himself deleted, releasing his conscience from The World. Morganna, supposedly now without a way to interact with The World, leaves. The Sofias go back to normal, as well as Etou.

The story then leads into the movie and Versus game. Bullet takes place after this OVA, but the characters don't seem to appear, so they are probably doing other things while Bullet takes place.

Aura fits in somewhere in the OVA but I can't remember how.

But that's the basics for the story. I hope this helps.
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

Kazetrigger wrote:I haven't watched it in a while, but I'll try my best to explain it.

Quantum involves three friends who adventure in The World. Soon they meet Hermit, a modified cat character who is actually the spirit(?) or conscience of a deceased boy who was one of the Lost One coma victims (supposedly attacked by AIDA). He has been living in The World looking for friends while his body is dead. Because he is a data anomoly, he and the main characters attract the Sofias which are a new addition in security to the game created by Saeka Reiko (the person behind Pi and Shamrock). One of the friends, Etou, is attacked by a Sofia and becomes one herself. The Sofias are supposedly being controlled by what we assume is Morganna. The remaining characters try to understand what is going on and eventually find out that Hermit's player died. Hermit finds out that he's dead and is angry, so he becomes infected by AIDA/Morganna and tries to destroy The World.

The characters (especially Sakuya) make him realize that he has friends in them and he calms down. Hermit realizes that things can't go back to normal unless he stops existing, so he has himself deleted, releasing his conscience from The World. Morganna, supposedly now without a way to interact with The World, leaves. The Sofias go back to normal, as well as Etou.

The story then leads into the movie and Versus game. Bullet takes place after this OVA, but the characters don't seem to appear, so they are probably doing other things while Bullet takes place.

This actually cleared up a few things, especially with Sophia and all that. Still seems like they left a lot of things in the air, but that's typical I guess...
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

I haven't seen the OVA yet but there are somethings that don't make sense.

For one thing, Morganna is gone. Completely. Gone.

And the same goes for AIDA, except for the benevolent ones.
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

(Phantom) Thief/Kazetrigger wrote:I haven't watched it in a while, but I'll try my best to explain it.

Quantum involves three friends who adventure in The World. During the main story they meet a modified cat character named Hermit who is actually the leftover conscienceness of a dying boy named Touha Tanagami. For past year he's been living in The World while looking for a for a donor for the boy in his memories while playing the game. Using the information from a new generation of computer chips installed into residents within the real world, Hermit partners with the hacker GEEK to collect the personal data and social security information of different users sharing the same type of micochip within the game

Meanwhile before meeting Sakuya, Hermit manages to one of thee items used to store the information containing the list of donors he's been collecting with GEEK. A bit after Sakaya, who happens to find and recover the item, attempts to return it to Hermit they're caught in a situation, where he is killed within the game and amongst all the chaos eventually discover a secret repawn area used by Hermit and end up attracting a hacked Prototype of the Sophia Security System, sponsered by ALTIMIT with work from CC Corp. As a result one of Sakuya's friends, Mary (Etou), and a few others are attacked by Sophia and becomes a lost one herself.

While investigating the situation Shamrock, Sakuya and Tobias eventually find out eventually find out that much of the current issues within the game are being affected by a special charactater and that the player this character is attempting to find a donor died several years ago. Around this time Hermit who is both, manages to overhear the conversation, falls into a depressed, gives up his search for a donor and tries to destroy The World.

Throughout the story the characters (especially Sakuya, who ironically is the possible blood donor Hermit happens to be searching for) help Hermit calm down and help him realize that while dead he still has friends in them and someone to live for. However by the end of the series the damage done to the The World has become immeasurable, as Hermit realizes that things can't go back to normal unless he stops existing, Shamrock utilizes the Crest Gun as a proxy for Data Drain, deleting Hermit as well as undoing the areas, monsters, Lost Ones and even Hermit's own conscieness from The System. By the conclusion of the incident The Prototype of the Sophia Security System is returned to normal, Mary (Etou) awakes from her coma, the main characters are able to return to their normal lives and Shamrock (Reiko) decides to take a vacation. As parting gift to Sakuya, Reiko finds out that while user Touha Tanagami (Hermit), was declared publically dead several year prior, the information is silghtly incorrect and that his parents had stationed Tanagami's body within an experiemental prision system run by Quantum Computers, funded by CC Corp for immates in Japan, also known as Soul Digitalization. According to Rekio (Pi, Shammrock, Ender,), how Hermit's conciousness manages to navigate into the game is unknown, but with Sakuya and more donors as a match, Touha Tanagami is stated to return to his proper health and is expected a full recovery. As the series closes Sakuya hopes for a time where she everyone to has a chance to reunit in the game and enjoy their lost times in The World, (Later information reveals the orginization mama as another experiment for using digitalization as the the ones responsible for introducing Hermit into the game.)

The story then leads into the movie and Versus game. Bullet takes place after this OVA, but the most characters don't seem to appear, so they are probably doing other things while Bullet takes place.

Kaze... Hmm well. I want to make a few corrections. I've explained in the bold above (Phew, more than thought). As for Aura I can explain that but please give a me a breather... Morganna and AIDA have less to do with it do, But here thats about all of Quantum, some one tell me if that makes sense...

Hmm I also summarized the events leading up the the series. (Forgive me if there are any errors) (The Italicized are from Quantum Introduction)
[*] .hack//G.U. Rebirth & reduction of AIDA is actuallized. - .hack//Returner AIKA is born as an AIDA. - Ovan sends message to Haseo. AINA reunites with Ovan. However the actual player behind Ovan seems to be missing. Reiko joins NAB to search for Ovan. .hack//Link - The World R:X.

[*] Mama continues research on real digitalizations' success. Reiko creates Shamrock as her continuing search for Ovan. Smith has decided he's taken a horrible liking to Piros the 3rd. Yata's Mirror is established within the game. Touha Tanagami hospitalized, no blood donor. Altimit begins standardization of Microchip implants in special areas.
Quantum Prison System is built, Prototype to Sophia Security System is placed as guard.

[*] Touha Tanagami, still no blood donor, eventually placed into coma. PC Hermit appears short after and is given deletion item. Mama is behind the connection.

[*] Sakuya, Tobias, Mary create characters and have first meet in The World. GEEK is contacted by various hackers, Information connected with microchip exploitation spreads through the game. Sakuya;s accidental involvement with special item baring exploit leads Tobias and Mary to encounter with former PK and current leader of exploitation. Former PK/Business owner pursuse the item for special interest however will is broken and life renewed ater encounter with person from Net Slum. Situation resolved Tobias and Mary involvement lead to closure to of main data minining organization. GEEK is out of customers... Hermit starts to explore the The World, dies many times while in the game. Eventually contacts special underground informat GEEK,

[*] GEEK assists Hermit in the new exploitation of the microchip's information. Hermit begins search for a blood donor. Hermit is somewhat lonely. Time moves on... Sakuya enters final year of middle school. Aims to persuade Mary & Tobias to play the game with her one last time before graduation. Mary is more concerned with her final exams. ONE SIN EVENT Yata's Mirror is tracking data abnormality within the game. Sakuya appears.Sakuya fucks **** up. Sakuya picks up special rare item while escaping from The One SIn. Hermit losses special item containing data related to blood donors. It seems very to important to him...

.hack//Quantum
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

(Phantom) Thief wrote:-POST-
NOW THIS MAKES SENSE. BLESS YOU KIND PERSON.
I feel kinda dense not understanding this all before!
Why is Ovan missing? Whyyyyyy are they doing this to meeeeeeee

Thank you so much!
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Bullet Biter wrote:Because Reiko was just all up in this thing making me raise my eyebrow a few times and at the end it just felt unfinished?
Everytime Reiko talks, plotholes come out. The missing Ovan thing, and the Amagi racism thing... She is a one-person continuity destroyer. But aside from those everything makes sense.
Izanagidonutz wrote:I don't get it either. It just started getting good and bam, ending.
It's the shortest installment of .hack. Shorter than either of the movies.
Keyaki wrote:I haven't seen the OVA yet but there are somethings that don't make sense.

For one thing, Morganna is gone. Completely. Gone.

And the same goes for AIDA, except for the benevolent ones.
Neither of those are involved in this story, although Shamrock uses Tarvos. The Data Bugs in this are caused by the Black Stick, one of the technologies created by Schicksal that was gifted to Hermit by an unknown benefactor (presumably Mama) as part of an experiment. Hermit isn't actually dead, He is cryogenically frozen and his consciousness was inserted into the Digital Penitentiary system used for convicts in the future, but with access to The World and the Black Stick. Hermit still thinks he's conscious/alive, looking for organ donors who are a genetic haplotype match, but when he hears that he isn't he goes on a rampage.

The Sophia System/Black Stick/Soul Digitalization technology is being exploited for experiments in mind control/utilizing someone who has been Soul Digitalized as a quantum computer.

The .hack//Quantum incident is known as Bloody Christmas.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

The Sophia System/Black Stick/Soul Digitalization technology is being exploited for experiments in mind control/utilizing someone who has been Soul Digitalized as a quantum computer.
The Sophia System I get. But Black Stick? And I still don't know what Soul Digitalization is.

Mama is trying to halt human activity on Earth in order to save it. So what does them experimenting with mind control or turning them a "quantum computer"(what ever that is) has to do with it.
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

Keyaki wrote:
The Sophia System I get. But Black Stick? And I still don't know what Soul Digitalization is.

Mama is trying to halt human activity on Earth in order to save it. So what does them experimenting with mind control or turning them a "quantum computer"(what ever that is) has to do with it.
The black stick is the stick Hermit is carrying around with him I believe.

Soul Digitalization looks like a fancy term for people like Sora and Tsukasa (and possibly Ovan) who's conciseness is trapped within digital space. It's like a step below Real Digitalization which is like Tokio who just gets sucked into the game completely, both 'soul' and 'body' as apposed to just 'soul'.
If they want to halt human activity on earth wouldn't trapping everyone in a digital world and connecting them to a central hub (Quantum Computer) do the trick?

I'm just going off what I know from translations and my own shoddy translation work as well so I could be wrong.
Kuukai wrote:Everytime Reiko talks, plotholes come out. The missing Ovan thing, and the Amagi racism thing... She is a one-person continuity destroyer. But aside from those everything makes sense.
Yeah she was the only one in this thing that kinda threw me off track. After going forward and rewatching/rereading some of the newer media and looking back at Quantum it seems to make more sense now.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Soul Digitalization looks like a fancy term for people like Sora and Tsukasa (and possibly Ovan) who's conciseness is trapped within digital space. It's like a step below Real Digitalization which is like Tokio who just gets sucked into the game completely, both 'soul' and 'body' as apposed to just 'soul'.
So basically its just what happened to every coma victim of the past.

So now they decide to give it an actual name?
(Phantom) Thief

Keyaki wrote:
So basically its just what happened to every coma victim of the past.

So now they decide to give it an actual name?
Well not exactly. But Yes. In the same way Real Digitalizion is the controlled research of a natural event. Soul Digitalization is also the artifical production of a similar event. Characters such as Lara or Tsukasa are born from the natural conseqences of issues within the game, while others such as Tokio or Hermit are the production of the individuals who research those phenomena. Much in the same manner as how the avatars were manufactured the same process was somewhat duplicated by mama. There I hope that explains it. Was there anything else?
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Good thing Quantum is on the NA Playstation Store~
The story then leads into the movie and Versus game. Bullet takes place after this OVA, but the most characters don't seem to appear, so they are probably doing other things while Bullet takes place.
Timeline-wsie for all of the 3rd Season of .Hack does as follows?

.Hack//LINK ->.Hack//Bullet-> .Hack//The Movie -> .Hack//Versus-> Thanatos Report
(Phantom) Thief

Keyaki wrote:Good thing Quantum is on the NA Playstation Store~
Timeline-wsie for all of the 3rd Season of .Hack does as follows?

.Hack//LINK ->.Hack//Bullet-> .Hack//The Movie -> .Hack//Versus-> Thanatos Report

That sounds right. Here:

.Hack//LINK - .Hack//After2021 -> .Hack//Quantum I (Introduction) ->.Hack//Quantum -> .Hack//Bullet-> .Hack//The Other Side Of The World -> .Hack//Versus -> Thanatos Report - > Guilty Dragon
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

I don't consider Guilty Dragon canon~

Welcome to correct me though~
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

I don't keep up with R:3 that much at all. I do have the non-canon link manga though. I watched Quantum and stayed pretty confused on most of the references when I didn't know the characters. I kind of liked the ghost character walk thing though in I think the second episode of Quantum?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Bullet Biter wrote:Yeah she was the only one in this thing that kinda threw me off track. After going forward and rewatching/rereading some of the newer media and looking back at Quantum it seems to make more sense now.
In my opinion you kind of just need to ignore what she says.
Keyaki wrote:So now they decide to give it an actual name?
Yup. Like Lost One, Morganna Factor, etc.

So far it doesn't really matter if Guilty Dragon is canon, it's far removed timewise and doesn't really have a substantial/consequential plot.
shikiaki

Post by shikiaki »

I'm confused at one point in the OVA... Who is the boy in the hospital? If he is Hermit wasn't he in a coma? That confused me a lot. Because when he put his FMD back on, Hermit woke up...
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

shikiaki wrote:I'm confused at one point in the OVA... Who is the boy in the hospital? If he is Hermit wasn't he in a coma? That confused me a lot. Because when he put his FMD back on, Hermit woke up...
The boy is Hermit, those are flashback scenes since he's "in storage" (wouldn't say coma in his case). The whole FMD thing is one of those whimsical ways to connect the flashback with the current events.