So what was the "twist"? (spoilers)

mr.classybear

So what was the "twist"? (spoilers)

Post by mr.classybear »

"The .hack//G.U. Trilogy NewWorldGuide, which was released alongside Trilogy this week, revealed artwork for a new series, possibly new games, connected to the new .hack//LINK era. This new series may even answer the questions raised by a certain "twist" in Trilogy"

What was the twist? This is from the front page of dothackers.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Re: So what was the "twist"? (spoilers)

Post by AuraTwilight »

There's special dialogue after the credits that specifically references Link.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Pi speaks to a mysterious man (significantly the only character to Bith the Black's voiceactor), telling him that the threat has passed. He asks about Schicksal (the evil organization in LINK), and she tells him that they have moved to "the next stage." He and Pi seem to be manipulating them. The last line of the movie is:

"Gather in Acheron, o captives of Charon."

Which leaves the viewer with all sorts of questions about what exactly he's talking about. It's practically a cliffhanger ending. The fact that the Trilogy guide contains information on the new series only reinforces that this scene may be connected. The identity of the man is up for grabs. It could be Schicksal's silhouetted leader, Bith the Black, Amagi, a CC employee, one of the many possible combinations of the above, or someone completely different.
mr.classybear

Post by mr.classybear »

So Pi's a bad guy? Do you think this might have anythign to do with her brother?
Revelation

Post by Revelation »

Kuukai wrote:Pi speaks to a mysterious man (significantly the only character to Bith the Black's voiceactor), telling him that the threat has passed. He asks about Schicksal (the evil organization in LINK), and she tells him that they have moved to "the next stage." He and Pi seem to be manipulating them. The last line of the movie is:

"Gather in Acheron, o captives of Charon."

Which leaves the viewer with all sorts of questions about what exactly he's talking about. It's practically a cliffhanger ending. The fact that the Trilogy guide contains information on the new series only reinforces that this scene may be connected. The identity of the man is up for grabs. It could be Schicksal's silhouetted leader, Bith the Black, Amagi, a CC employee, one of the many possible combinations of the above, or someone completely different.
I rule out Bith the Black because it was never revealed if he was set free or not after he was apprehended by the authorities (contrary to people's beliefs) and for him to be involved that would mean Helba would also have to be involved. It's understandable though that people would assume that's it's someone we've already seen or know, although not practical because of the unfamiliarity of the voice.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

mr.classybear wrote:So Pi's a bad guy? Do you think this might have anythign to do with her brother?
It might. In G.U.+, Amagi (at least we're 99% sure it's him) comes back as the character "Kazumi", who Pi used to work under in that continuity. This may be another twist on that connection. Jun is probably still dead, though.
Revelation wrote:I rule out Bith the Black because it was never revealed if he was set free or not after he was apprehended by the authorities (contrary to people's beliefs) and for him to be involved that would mean Helba would also have to be involved. It's understandable though that people would assume that's it's someone we've already seen or know, although not practical because of the unfamiliarity of the voice.
Those aren't reasons it can't be him. Unless there's some hard evidence against it, I believe that possibility is just as worth noting as the others.
Revelation

Post by Revelation »

Kuukai wrote: Those aren't reasons it can't be him. Unless there's some hard evidence against it, I believe that possibility is just as worth noting as the others.
If it ends up being Bith the Black then they might as well bring back Carl, Alph, Albireo and everyone as that'd be almost the entirety of the .hack crew. It's also worth noting that the tone of voice that was used in the conversation doesn't suit Bith the Black as from past records he's been known to not take most situations seriously. His personality could have all been a ruse though alternatively...
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

The tone difference is worth noting, but I don't think it's odd that they would bring back Bith the Black. What happened to Helba is a major loose end in G.U., and it wouldn't be that weird for them to tie it into the plot.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

mr.classybear wrote:So Pi's a bad guy? Do you think this might have anythign to do with her brother?
I wouldn't say so. You don't need to be a bad guy to manipulate the bad guys. Pi is quite obviously a GOOD character, but we know her to have manipulated people before in Roots.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

AuraTwilight wrote:I wouldn't say so. You don't need to be a bad guy to manipulate the bad guys.
Wha-? In G.U., Ovan manipulated Sakaki manipulated Bordeux. (And no arguments about any of them not being "bad" enough. Their methods were as evil as they come in .hack and we don't know much about Schicksal's motives.)
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Kuukai wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:I wouldn't say so. You don't need to be a bad guy to manipulate the bad guys.
Wha-? In G.U., Ovan manipulated Sakaki manipulated Bordeux. (And no arguments about any of them not being "bad" enough. Their methods were as evil as they come in .hack and we don't know much about Schicksal's motives.)
I consider Ovan good as pretty much everything he did was necessary to save "teh wurld"

And we pretty much don't know anything about the situation of Link, as you said. For all we know, Pi and company are manipulating Schicksal to gather the Chrono Cores with the promise of "lol Akashic Records", then will trick them out of the Cores for an entirely different, but morally acceptable reason.
|kenji|

Post by |kenji| »

i guess it all depends on how much we consider canon Trilogy... i honestly think that everything about that movie is totally NON CANON (meh, 99% of the movie is totally different to the real story .___.).. so, if it really is non canon, i don't think that scene with Pi would be that important..
but if it is canon... i guess we'll see again Pi, in a Ovan-like (i consider Ovan a good one too) setting...
that's not canon >_>"
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't see why they'd put a Link-related scene into a GU-based movie if it wasn't somehow relevant. Either the Link twist is the only part canon or...or...Trilogy is a retcon! *screams like a little girl!*
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

AuraTwilight wrote:I consider Ovan good as pretty much everything he did was necessary to save "teh wurld"

And we pretty much don't know anything about the situation of Link, as you said. For all we know, Pi and company are manipulating Schicksal to gather the Chrono Cores with the promise of "lol Akashic Records", then will trick them out of the Cores for an entirely different, but morally acceptable reason.
But as you pointed out, the previous bad guy also had noble motivations...
|kenji| wrote:i guess it all depends on how much we consider canon Trilogy... i honestly think that everything about that movie is totally NON CANON (meh, 99% of the movie is totally different to the real story .___.).. so, if it really is non canon, i don't think that scene with Pi would be that important..
but if it is canon... i guess we'll see again Pi, in a Ovan-like (i consider Ovan a good one too) setting...
Lots of canon plot points first appeared in non-canon. Like Shino being the original Innis user, Kite picking up some AK abilities, or, heck, the entire intro of G.U. The preview pages at the end of the Udeden manga aren't canon, but they certainly foreshadow for G.U. This is quite possibly something along those lines.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

But as you pointed out, the previous bad guy also had noble motivations...
Mmyiss. I know, and all chances being that Schicksal probably are noble, but even if they're not, that doesn't have to mean Pi isn't.

Well, not NOBLE, but she is GOOD.
Spin

Post by Spin »

I've been meaning to ask about Helba for awhile... that is kind of weird how they just sort of never mentioned what happened to her... big loose end indeed.

Also, someone said something about Bith the Black being arrested? When did that happen? Was it in Liminality? I don't remember....
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Spin wrote:I've been meaning to ask about Helba for awhile... that is kind of weird how they just sort of never mentioned what happened to her... big loose end indeed.

Also, someone said something about Bith the Black being arrested? When did that happen? Was it in Liminality? I don't remember....
Yes, Bith the Black was arrested. He WAS caught breaking into a building, after all. As for Helba, we don't know anything about her at ALL, why should we know what happened to her? A hacker of her skill wouldn't leave clues of her whereabouts or why.

Given that Helba really only seemed to care about Aura, I have a feeling that she simply never got involved with Za Warudo R:2, since Aura wasn't there as far as she knew.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

The possibility remains open that Pi may be partially responsible for future comas, etc., and that would be "evil."

He probably wasn't arrested. He was last shown talking his way out of the situation, and CC would be much more likely to keep the break-in secret rather than to call the police in anyway.

Helba was interested in plenty of things other than Aura, and her absence from Net Slum is noteworthy.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

The possibility remains open that Pi may be partially responsible for future comas, etc., and that would be "evil."
Agreed, but I'm putting my chips on Pi's innocence, or atleast noble intent.
He probably wasn't arrested. He was last shown talking his way out of the situation, and CC would be much more likely to keep the break-in secret rather than to call the police in anyway.
You're right, silly me.
Helba was interested in plenty of things other than Aura, and her absence from Net Slum is noteworthy.
Well, AI's in general, but aside from the AIDA and Midori, Aura and AI's go together almost inseparably. Helba's absence IS unsettling, but atleast Udeden gave us a sort of "phasing out" for her.
Kefkaownsall

Post by Kefkaownsall »

AuraTwilight wrote:I don't see why they'd put a Link-related scene into a GU-based movie if it wasn't somehow relevant. Either the Link twist is the only part canon or...or...Trilogy is a retcon! *screams like a little girl!*
I hope it's not retcon otherwise goodbye Haseo/Alkaid