Trilogy Discussion Thread

Kefkaownsall

Re: Trilogy Discussion Thread

Post by Kefkaownsall »

Now due to the lack of subs, I only really saw the Azure Flame god and Ovan fights but those were awesome.
HAseo:RASENGAN!!!FTW
Shinsou Wotan

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

I've translated the end. Now, in case anyone was wondering about it, here's the text from the beginning, translated by a far better poet than I.

Through me the way into the suffering city,
Through me the way to the eternal pain,
Through me the way that runs among the lost.

Justice urged on my high artificer;
My maker was divine authority,
The highest wisdom, and the primal love.

Before me nothing but eternal things were made,
And I endure eternally.
Abandon every hope, ye who enter here.
Fragments.beta

Post by Fragments.beta »

Shinsou Wotan wrote:I've translated the end. Now, in case anyone was wondering about it, here's the text from the beginning, translated by a far better poet than I.

And I endure eternally.
Considering that was German (it was German right?), does that mean those are verses from the Epitaph of the Twilight?
FallenDragon
Location: Lost In A Sea Of Thoughts...or falling asleep in front of the monitor

Post by FallenDragon »

Fragments.beta wrote:Considering that was German (it was German right?), does that mean those are verses from the Epitaph of the Twilight?
Nope, it's italian.

And thanks for the translation, I was wondering about what it meant. :D
k-su

Post by k-su »

Shinsou Wotan wrote:I've translated the end. Now, in case anyone was wondering about it, here's the text from the beginning, translated by a far better poet than I.

And I endure eternally.
Thanks, Shinsou. I was seriously just thinking about it, while rewatching it yet again. Its interesting. I wonder what it all means, especially the last line. Anyone think this poem is about the tragedies that ensue in the story from the perspective of The World itself or rather Aura.

Also, I think that while there were many parts that werent done exactly right, I really think they captured Ovan's story well.

One more thing. Its really annoying me: How the heck did Atoli get over to the island in Mac Anu? She didnt win any tournaments, so why? They could of easily placed her elsewhere. Tho, I guess the logic of the game gets tossed out the window, so I'll have to let it go.
Shinsou Wotan

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

My opinion of the cultural literacy around here has just gone way down. I'd assumed that someone would recognize at least that last line.

This is perhaps the single best known passage from Dante's Inferno, the inscription at the gate of Hell.
Asyllum

Post by Asyllum »

i watched the movie,
the movie was created to those who already understand .hack conglomerate

there are some part that is annoying, like,
the scene where B-st were chained on something that we dont know what it is and why it is like that
and "rasengan" part (when xth form defeat ovan)
and also, Xth form, from my point of view is more like Haseo collaborate with Atoli
the film also didnt show how AIDA works and so on (too little about AIDA)

but overall is nice,
the scene with Atoli, and AIDA Atoli quite scary, even though this time sakaki didnt put his "effort"
Ovan laughs quite creepy, well, its more creepy than the game
Hakumei

Post by Hakumei »

Asyllum wrote:i watched the movie,
the movie was created to those who already understand .hack conglomerate

there are some part that is annoying, like,
the scene where B-st were chained on something that we dont know what it is and why it is like that
and "rasengan" part (when xth form defeat ovan)
and also, Xth form, from my point of view is more like Haseo collaborate with Atoli
the film also didnt show how AIDA works and so on (too little about AIDA)

but overall is nice,
the scene with Atoli, and AIDA Atoli quite scary, even though this time sakaki didnt put his "effort"
Ovan laughs quite creepy, well, its more creepy than the game
LMAO, Rasengan. I thought of it more of a Cero from Bleach.
Fragments.beta

Post by Fragments.beta »

Damn I was hoping that poem had some connection to .hack, now it just seems like cool sounding jargon.
k-su wrote:One more thing. Its really annoying me: How the heck did Atoli get over to the island in Mac Anu? She didnt win any tournaments, so why? They could of easily placed her elsewhere. Tho, I guess the logic of the game gets tossed out the window, so I'll have to let it go.
No more ridiculous than Haseo getting his new forms through leveling up. Or how Chaos Gates instantly teleports players to unknown locations. Or the HaseoxAtoli build up that doesn't make a bit of sense.

This movie pretty much blows .hack logic to hell so its required to use Suspension of Disbelief to enjoy the movie for what it is.

My main gripe here is the lack of Lost Grounds. With all the snazzy graphics you'd think they'd use that give a much better and brighter effects for the beautiful places like the Arche Koeln Falls. They only had 2 of them, and they felt more gloomy than beautiful.
Shinsou Wotan

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

Asyllum wrote:there are some part that is annoying, like,
That scene was Haseo's 'inner world' at that moment, like the classroom was for Atoli. He was trapped and tormented by his own rage and his feelings of failure. He could only get free after he forgave himself, and the whole place crumbled when he truly realized that Ovan, the target of his anger, was one of the people he needed to save.
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

And here I was thinking it was the bottom roots of Cubia like in the older series. :P
k-su

Post by k-su »

Shinsou Wotan wrote:My opinion of the cultural literacy around here has just gone way down. I'd assumed that someone would recognize at least that last line.

This is perhaps the single best known passage from Dante's Inferno, the inscription at the gate of Hell.
One of my friends back home read that novel, back in middle school. I wasnt into those kinds of stories back then tho, so I didnt pic it up.
Kryuzei
Location: The sixth dimension; those who alter the reality itself to make the world came true.

Post by Kryuzei »

Haven't watched it yet, I'm going to watch it RAW because I can't stand it any longer ! >w<

Whut? BDMV files size is 38 GB? Lulz. .
shiroi

Post by shiroi »

I just watched the raw. I've only been taking Japanese for a semester and a half, but even the stuff I didn't know was pretty easy to understand just from the context. Thank you for the translation of the lines at the end though. Those were completely lost on me. Anyway, I thought that for what it was, the movie was done pretty well. Of course, that being said, it could have been a lot better. Spoilers ahead:

The graphics were pretty great, but that goes without saying. I was also very happy that they kept some of the really awesome scenes from the game, such as the moment where Atoli gets infected by AIDA and falls in slow motion. The scene cracking with Haseo screaming Atoli's name was one of my favorite scenes in the game, and I'm glad they kept it. However, when they used the same transition after the second third of the movie, it was just old and didn't have the same effect. However, I'm also disappointed to the scenes they did not keep, such as the part where everyone gets pulled into the AIDA server. The scene at the end before the credits also disappointed me. Haseo choosing to run after Atoli makes a lot more of an impact that Haseo choosing to NOT run after Shino. I really have no idea why they changed this.

The beginning of the movie was pretty much the same thing we've all seen a million times by now. We've seen it in the games, we've seen it in the manga, and we've seen it, in part, in Roots. Of course, it is the same story, so there wasn't much they could have done to change it up. They at least did a nice job with the story flow. This was good up until the part where Haseo joined GU. At this point, they sacrificed story flow for time by putting in a very ambiguous transition that was supposed to show Haseo training over the course of the months that passed after he joined. But this was a tad hard to follow, as Pi was speaking at the time. This transition may have seemed like a good idea, but it sort of killed the timing of the movie and made the next scene, where Haseo is in his second form, seem a bit sudden.

To comment on the Haseo/Atoli moments, I agree with everyone who's already stated that this was sudden and a bit out of place. But I suppose this is what happens when you take three games, strip their story to a bare minimum, and keep all the mushy scenes, making sure they are about ten times mushier. That's pretty much what they did. It's not a secret that Haseo and Atoli were the biggest pairing in the games, after all. But I think the biggest mistake with this in the movie was timing. If it were longer, they wouldn't have had Haseo yelling at Atoli one scene, then hugging her the next. But they chose to make a big deal out of Atoli's personal issues because they needed something to make Haseo soften up. They got rid of everything else that contributed to his change, including Yowkow and Canard in general, so they used Atoli instead.

I sort of liked the way Haseo gained his Xth form here. It was obvious from the beginning that putting Cubia in the end would have thrown off the main focus of the story, so this was better than taking out Xth form entirely, at least in my opinion. It's pretty obvious that they're using Atoli as a plot device, but I suppose it makes more sense in the long run than, say, having Haseo talk to himself for half the movie.

The one thing that really felt a bit cheesy was the B'st form deal. It sort of makes sense as a reflection of Haseo's mindless rage and all, but it almost seemed cliche that he got angry and randomly turned into a monster. It would have made more sense if he'd been infected by AIDA or something. Also, the fight scene between B'st Haseo and Ovan seemed too reminiscent of Fate/Stay Night and even BLEACH to an extent. It seemed too overdone.

A lot of really important characters were cut out. Much of the story was done away with. Very little was explained about anything, especially AIDA and the epitaphs. But the one thing that bothers me most about the movie is the fact that the original premise was sort of... lost. There isn't that regular reminder that they're only playing a game to emphasize that impossible things are happening. Sure, a lot of the motions and facial expressions that would be impossible in an MMO have been happening in the .hack games forever, and sure a movie does need these to be watchable. But I think they definitely overdid it to the point that the very same story could take place in some fantasy world, and nobody would notice much of a difference. Especially with the Hase/Atoli scenes.

I agree that this is not a movie for non-fans. Anyone who hasn't played the games or at least watched Roots would be completely lost within minutes. And really, there isn't much in it for them anyway. TRILOGY is basically a very shiny tribute to the games. It isn't a substitute and fails to make sense in terms of the game logic most of the time anyway.
MidnightDemon

Post by MidnightDemon »

shiroi wrote:I agree that this is not a movie for non-fans. Anyone who hasn't played the games or at least watched Roots would be completely lost within minutes. And really, there isn't much in it for them anyway. TRILOGY is basically a very shiny tribute to the games. It isn't a substitute and fails to make sense in terms of the game logic most of the time anyway.
**Spoilers

I've been studying Japanese for a few years now, so I have been able to catch about 80% of what was said, but I conquer with Shiroi on all aspects.
I'm still disappointed with the lack of story behind Kite (and lack of Balmung/Orca) ...
ANYTHING would have been better than, "oh they're aura's knights, summoned from data remnants to do... something not important"
then brushed aside like they never existed in the first place, which they did WORSE in the film by not even explaining that much...
Oh, he pk shino, we must find him - oh no, he's dead... is the just of his role

I DO give them credit for upping Shino's AIDA infected scene, which was IMO the best scene of the film... done awesomely
Alas along with Balmung, and Orca others were left out... Gaspard, Silabus, Sakaki (except for one scene), Endrance, Sakubo... the list goes on
I assumed they'd cut some characters for lack of time but... ugh, i so wanted to see Endrance :(

Basically, it is a sum-up of those pretty cut scenes we remember 1st game, a few for the 2nd and 3rd... and then a story attempted to weave those fractured scenes together.
TsukasaElkKite

Post by TsukasaElkKite »

I found the lyrics to Liar's Smile (the new song), and I've been transliterating them as I listen to it.

Could someone help me translate the raw lyrics to romanji?

Here they are:

耳コピー:
ひとのなみ 押し寄せては
わたしを掠め 通り過ぎる
いつだって ここにいるのに
なんだか 抜け殻

ただ眺めて ぼっり佇む
孤独の破片飲み込んで

一人にしないで 離さないで
その温もりで包んで
言葉をかけて 名前を呼んで
あなたの涙 頬に受けたい
shiroi

Post by shiroi »

I think this is about right. I might have made mistakes on some of the kanji though.

hito no nami oshiyose te wa
watashi o kasume toorisugiru
itsu datte koko ni iru no ni
nandaka nukegara

tada nagame te botsuri tatazumu
kodoku no hahen nomikon de
hitori ni shinaide hanasanaide
sono nukumori de tsutsunde
kotoba o kakete namae o yonde
ananta no namida hoho ni uketai
TsukasaElkKite

Post by TsukasaElkKite »

shiroi wrote:I think this is about right. I might have made mistakes on some of the kanji though.

hito no nami oshiyose te wa
watashi o kasume toorisugiru
itsu datte koko ni iru no ni
nandaka nukegara

tada nagame te botsuri tatazumu
kodoku no hahen nomikon de
hitori ni shinaide hanasanaide
sono nukumori de tsutsunde
kotoba o kakete namae o yonde
ananta no namida hoho ni uketai
Thank you. That's very close to my translation by ear :3
Domination

Post by Domination »

bad bad i get the movie and is raw -.-
i'm waiting for fansub !!
i understand a litle of japoneses probably i gonna risk see it!
Revelation

Post by Revelation »

Domination wrote:bad bad i get the movie and is raw -.-
i'm waiting for fansub !!
i understand a litle of japoneses probably i gonna risk see it!
I advise you not to talk about fan translations on this site as the staff have a no-tolerance level for any amount of illegal activity involved on here. Best to keep such things to yourself if you know what I mean :wink: .