Level of difficulty for someone who knows zero japanese?

ZyloWolfBane

Level of difficulty for someone who knows zero japanese?

Post by ZyloWolfBane »

Now, Im no stranger to playing import titles, but I typically stick with games that are pretty simple to play in japanese like Super Robot Taisen,Fire Emblem,Queen's Blade (Basically turn based strategy titles) or other games like Monster Hunter and more often than not the stories of said games arent really the strong point so I dont feel like Im missing much.

But with a game like this and considering the history behind the game and the timeline that it spans and characters that are in this game I feel like playing it in japanese I would be missing quite a bit, though I did notice the storyline movie that was posted which I havent yet viewed. (But it is a really awesome idea)

So, in someone's honest opinion and preferably someone whos completed it, how easy was it to navigate through the game and were there any time/action specific missables that I would probably miss out on? I personally planned on playing the game once now and then again from scratch when the fan translation is released for a more complete experience.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice, I tried searching the board for relevant information but to no avail (Unless Im blind :? )
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: Level of difficulty for someone who knows zero japanese?

Post by Kuukai »

Gameplay-wise I think it's very, very hard to get stuck, I've never heard of this happening to anyone. Nothing is really miss-able, either, with the possible exception of certain emails or Nuke's puns (the game keeps asking you if you want to skip, and if you can't read Japanese maybe you will). Of course, if you can't speak Japanese to begin with, neither of these are going to be remotely important.

But the strong point of the game is really the story, most people aren't huge fans of the actual gameplay, so playing it through without the story might grate on your patience. Lots of hardcore fans seem to have managed this anyway, though.

Now, nothing is miss-able, but there are still a lot of systems where Japanese would be a huge help. The crew system, the assist system (already forgot the term for it, but the unique propositions your party members make during combat), and even the password system are probably areas we working on the patch might try to translate sooner than later since they all involve reading Japanese... But there should probably be FAQs or threads about these already...
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

I figured out the crew system, and the joint event system easily enough, and the Link Judge system seems to be only one to three things each party member will ask about.

Kite for instance seems to Love having you solo the entire dungeon, (that is the only one I've seen from him) While Mimiru and BlackRose ask for more a swift defeat of enemies or to quickly break them.

Though what is this password system? This is the first I've heard of it.
ZyloWolfBane

Post by ZyloWolfBane »

Hmm, alrighty. Then it sounds like its worth trying :D

As I waited for a response on here I went ahead and got a japanese copy of the game to try, however its actually kinda....well laggy, could I have just got a bad dump of it? Or is that how it is for everyone?

Oh and I tried to install the game to my memory stick to see if it would make any difference, not that it would've helped considering Im installing the game to the memory stick FROM the memory stick lol, but it ended up failing at the 80% or so range and I gave up.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Password is for... passwords. Like to get more virus cores. You change your Link Card to do it.

I didn't have any trouble with the official version, which I strongly recommend buying if you want to see more games by CC2...
ZyloWolfBane

Post by ZyloWolfBane »

I probably would purchase it, if I was certain that they had no intention on doing an english release that is, getting import titles can be a little pricy sometimes (Recalls the newest Super robot taisen for PS3 and shudders).

That and I might have to if all digital copies of the game carry the same issue, *Sigh* Very frustrating.
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Kuukai wrote:Password is for... passwords. Like to get more virus cores. You change your Link Card to do it.

I didn't have any trouble with the official version, which I strongly recommend buying if you want to see more games by CC2...
So it's nothing really critical. It's more or less just for a few extras. Anything you can only get through these passwords though?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

The movie preview stuff, I believe.
Apphoenix

Post by Apphoenix »

Really easy i finished it twice but on planning to buy the limited edition one on soon
because i have school and im limited to buying stuff.
The link Card is a password system that unlocks certain items
Check Here
http://www21.atwiki.jp/hacklink/pages/36.html
All the passwords for the link card in Japanese through
But you need to progress the story alot to use these passwords
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Ah, thanks a lot Apphoenix! Probably wouldn't have found those on my own.
Apphoenix

Post by Apphoenix »

Your welcome it was really hard for me to find this page until one day i went to the Japanese wiki and that's how i sort of found.
There's also a link card function that allows to get more passwords by going to link card 3rd option and it tells you a list of words and its added to the link card database. might make a tutorial about it soon with my psp.