.hack//LINK Unofficial Fan Translation Project

JunBansyoya

Re: .hack//LINK Unofficial Fan Translation Project

Post by JunBansyoya »

I don't find c++ that annoying, it was one of my first languages. You just have keep an eye on your resources.

The annoying thing is debugging openGL. especially this weird lighting glitch I cannot seem to get rid of.
GoryArg

Post by GoryArg »

Wow!!!!!!!! I've been searching for this everywhere!!!!!! I really hope you get it right! :D
Anyway, good luck with this (I just registered just for wish you
good luck with this!)
loocking forward for it :D
Kr0n1k

Post by Kr0n1k »

Man I am so hoping this gets completed! I am currently playing the Japanese version and it is an amazing game but I have no clue what is going on in the story. This game is so worth the work. Thanks!!! :D :D :D
Reki3

Post by Reki3 »

I don't know how possible it would be with this, but...
Why not do something like what the G.E. Team did? They released it bit by bit in chunks as they finished them. This not only kept the players happy, but it also lets the players help out with debugging.

Dunno, just a thought. It never helps to ask, ya' know? :)
ozack89

Post by ozack89 »

Thanks Guys for the energy and the Efforts you're putting for the english Translation !
I'm patiently waiting for news.
Thanks a lot !
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

So i hear there is a lot of bad news in the .hack community as of late, just read d5t's post about tokyopop, this past weekend I was a presenter at the local sci-fy/anime/game/whatever convention (it is a small place so we are inclusive all levels of geek/nerd-dom at our annual con), The anime society I am a part of gave a talk about various subjects that are involved with our love of Anime and Japanese Games.

I am just posting, to catch up there I am still having trouble with the secondary file-type I told you about before, but it still should be doable, so this post is not meant to be bad new.

Someone mentioned posting the game patches in chunks, alpha/beta patches if you will, honestly there is not enough done to post anything yet, so I would like some input from the community, which would you rather, we release patches when we reach minor milestones or we release one big patch once we get it finished? Of course with both methods if we get C&D'ed we will stop distribution immediately.

and of course they wont be distributed on this site.
Funkdat

Post by Funkdat »

Honesly, from being into modding for along time now, I can say the safest way is to just release one big patch. That way even if anyone complains or trying to shut you down, its allready done. Once a file like that hits the internet, it never goes away. I know most people will want little patches so they can try to play the game ASAP even if its not easy. I however would like to play the game as one nice enjoyable play through. Aslong as I'm kept up-to-date one how the patch is going, then I'm fine with waiting. Mostly just want to know its really going to be finished someday.
ozack89

Post by ozack89 »

In My Opinion : One Complete Patch should be better

If i can Help in anyway you guys Can P.M me...
Kasity

Post by Kasity »

Oh thanks so much for translating it! I would say two patches I honestly cannot wait! Ive been crying every month since it came out in japan and not here. :<

On a side note, I bought the game already haha, anyone know where someone has the menus already translated on a website or something?
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

So guys i knew i could solve the problem, this is the first line of text of the more complex cut-scene format for this game. Also corresponds to the first line of text in the game.

A few things to note;
  • I would imagine there is someway for me to recenter the text, but that requires more exploration of the hex files, for now I think I will add a line break and split it into multiple lines so it will look nicer.
  • Once again I don't like the built in ASCII subsection of the particular font they used, but after looking at other PSP fan translations this is something common across all Japanese games, I would love to replace the font but that would be some point down the future.
  • So far I have only replaced a single line in that file, my first few attempts I replace more than one at a time, and that ended badly, but I will try that again for my next build.
  • This is my first time using Remote Joy Lite, a plugin that allow video capturing from the PSP, this also works with video so no more shaky cam
  • My psp generates a weird buzz when it is charging while plugged into 'line in" so I need to wait for my PSP to be fully charged before I try to capture a video with sound
  • I recently did a minor upgrade of my PC, rebuilding all the packages take 10 minutes(down from 15-20), and there is a 50% chance of failure, so it is no longer difficult as it is tedious.
  • I haven't spoken with kuukai in a while, I imagine he is waiting for me to post a video of the parts he already translated before he send me the next part of the translation (remember he is doing the story, I am doing the menus).
I have also received a few offers to help, they are appreciated, people truly interested are you interested in the actual translation or the part of changing the files. I would like to remain the only one changing the source files at the moment as it is messy job and would wish it upon any one, also I feel it might be hard to organize many people to do that. If it gets overwhelming I will seek out volunteers then.

Some things no one are working on in regards to the translation at the moment are:
  • the e-mail messages(another important part of the story)
  • the names of the songs in the jukebox
  • attack names/descriptions*
  • item names/descriptions*
  • the glossary in the game*
    *these parts are may have been partially named in previous versions of .hack, consistencies with the older games would be appreciated.

If you are interested in taking over one of these parts let me know via PM (tell me a bit about; your skill set, which part you want, and how knowledgeable of the .hack metaverse if you want to work on a part that I stated should have consistency with previous games), if you seem able to complete the part you want and it is not already taken I will reply with a RTF file of the data from that section. If it is taken I will reply with a list of still available parts.

Well all in all if it goes well I will have a new video of the opening scene posted this weekend, if not next weekend.

EDIT

I just posted a sample video from my capture device on YouTube, this is the scene right before we fight the first creatures in the game. Fun fact I can now control my PSP with an Xbox 360 controller.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

JunBansyoya wrote:
  • I haven't spoken with kuukai in a while, I imagine he is waiting for me to post a video of the parts he already translated before he send me the next part of the translation (remember he is doing the story, I am doing the menus).
Yeah, pretty much. This is awesome news though, amazing video quality! I've gone my own route for my project subbing some of my own captures, but anything you produce in the next month I can easily work into it. Just poke me when you need more material and I'll send another batch. If we can increase speed on this that would be awesome.

Are there code tags or something that control the speed of the text scroll? It seems just a little off in places.

Also, I'd like to QA whoever you choose to do email. I've also gotten a lot of PMs and most people can't pass simple tests like スペインノアメハオモニヘイチニフル. A lot of the other things are just a matter of doing a search on dothack.wikia.com, which we've done a lot of work to make into kinda a rosetta stone for .hack.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

Cool, I feel bad that I wasn't much of a help with your video project, hopefully I can get a bunch of things that might be useful for you before you need them (anime central right?).

There are no code tags to control text scrolling speed, but as with text position they might be hidden somewhere else, it would be awesome if I could get a hold of the official tools they used for scripting these files.

Speaking of things that would be awesome, does anyone know if external memory stick readers are faster than the USB transfer mode on the PSP, most of my build time is wasted transferring the file.

I agree the dot hack wikia is an excellent resource, as opposed to the real wikipedia which sees .hack//LINK as a manga series with a game that might be coming out soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.hack//Link - "A PSP release of this title has been confirmed with pictures of the game itself in Famitsu Magazine."
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Exactly. And that would be awesome. Just keep me updated then. If you're still working on the introduction I'll avoid overlapping with that for starters.

I see, yeah that makes sense I guess. Kinda defeats the point of having any tags in the script itself, but I guess that's gotta be how they did it...

I have no idea, I would hope that the PSP's dedicated USB mode wouldn't be any worse than a standalone reader, but that's not something I'd bet on...

Yeah, Wikipedia is awesome like that. Also in their adamant refusal to call it SIGN. But the best thing about the wiki is you can Google something like site:dothack.wikia.com 匠の気魂 and immediately get the localized name. Tokyopop used us as a source.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

The Opening Scene

Well the color tags are something easy for a writer to add because they can have contextual meaning, and then a scripter would convert the text(with color tags) and other graphical assets into the final scene. Essentially I think it is just so the writers do not have to learn scripting, just a little hypertext.

I know I can get the opening scenes done, so you are right no need to overlap that, the video I just posted was captured at the psp native resolution and encoded as that, the previous one was upscaled to 720p before uploading to YouTube, let me know which you prefer(better for the presentation). Right now I am working in Windows Live Movie Maker, I had more options before just I haven't gotten around to reinstalling them.

I am keeping a record of all my videos and I will be able to get the source files to you at some point. Let me know when you need them Kuukai.

Also I did not realize the .hack wikia kept track of minor things like that, I was gonna use gamefaqs of the older games to get that info, but that is awesome.

EDIT:
Woot! I just leveled up I am no longer a noob. I am now a true .hacker.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

That turned out awesome! Glad we'll be able to show this off!

Oh, ok, that makes a lot of sense then.

Yeah, I think native will be fine, I'm not really a video person so I'm using movie maker too. Yeah, I'll send you a pm in the next day or so about exchanging files. Might be one or two changes to make this look more natural, I'll think about it after I get some sleep. Do you have a save where you can access all the major events? If not I can give you mine, I even unlocked all 400 or so f-skits... (and I have scripts for a few already) If possible I'd like to try to nail as many of the manga scenes I'm planning to include as possible. This one turned out beautifully.

Congrats!
kenma9123

Post by kenma9123 »

It looks awesome .. :D
how i wish i can still bring back those files that i deleted :D

I want to try something out on those item part..
I translated some of the items/menu/and some other random text in game "before"..but I don't have already those raw file containing the items that i translated..
so i guess my reference now is my patched .hack game itself.. (Kukkai already know this, if I'm correct)

about your problem "most of my build time is wasted transferring the file."
I suggest make a .ppf file.. for each one you build.

Step:
a. Get the original File "file", make a copy of it- name it as e.g "file1"
b. modify the "file1" and repack to iso.
c. use ppf-studio to make a patched between "file(original) and file1(modified)" -> apply the output .ppf to iso
d. after-which delete the "file"(the one that is original)
e. rename the "file1"(patched) to "file"(make it now as original)
f. go to a-- skip b--
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

@Kenma9123 I sent you a PM about you're offer to help, and thanks for the tip about the ppf files I don't know if they will work with the file structure of this game but it wont hurt to try.

@Kuukai Let me know how you want to change it up, i know one thing you are going to call me on is the "demon king's castle" line, I dropped that down a line because it was getting cut off the screen, but I think it may be better if I push a line up further.

I other news I am going to make a program to edit these files updating all the pointers are tedious so if i can make a program that allows me to just copy and paste lines it would be great.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Actually, there's not much I'd change at this stage, let's keep going. I asked d5t about storage space, hopefully he can work something out. I'll share the manga scene translation file with you and hopefully we can knock more of those out, in addition to a few of the just-talking ones... Can you try the fight with Flügel next? I wonder if umlauts will render of if we'll have to use Fluegel or Flugel or something...

Glad you found a way to automate it somewhat.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

I forgot to mention the save file you talk about before, I have one that I got from gamefaqs, I think it has all the points we will need.

I think the font include umlauts, I will test that later today, are there any other character types we will need it would be great to test a bunch at a time.

I should also point out i have not played the game yet, i forgot that don't like spoilers... we fight Flügel, where do we fight him(?). Also would you like video of the gameplay for that fight as well or should I just capture the comic scenes.
JunBansyoya

Post by JunBansyoya »

Another update I got one of the two tools I needed to make to modify the files I have, it appears to be working ok, it is giving me some trouble when converting from windows to unix style line ends, but that is only because of how it is loaded. This is the tools for the harder file type. So far I have tested it with the classroom scene and the roof scene, I plan on getting the full intro done before I post another video. This tool should make it go much faster.

This time I got some frame-rate issues with my capture device I think it is just because I am writing raw video to a fragmented disk... I need to crack out a empty disk or maybe defrag my hard drive.

Other than that i need to make the second program now.