Really stupid question... (SPOILERS)

|<!73

Re: Really stupid question... (SPOILERS): Shock

Post by |<!73 »

This:
Kuukai wrote:It turns out that, unbeknownst to Geist, there is a decades-old secret society dedicated to using any means necessary to halt human activity on the Earth. Among their members were Emma Wielant and the founders of Altimit. Geist's "Immortal Dusk" was exactly what they've been waiting for, for over 30 years. These are the final villains of .hack.

Kuukai You deserve more than a cookie for this. I couldn't have predicted even half of what you just said.
GyppyGirl2021

Re: Really stupid question... (SPOILERS)

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Okay, what the hell did I just read? No offense, but I think these guys are going a little beyond reason with this story...
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

My brain....just exploded....
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Lol, three completely different reactions. Maybe I didn't type it up that well, I was up pretty late, but that's the gist of it. It's not much of a retcon, it's ridiculous to think the characters in Liminality would know everything there was to know about Emma, and it's not very hard to imagine Emma as part of something like this. It brings everything full circle, and I would imagine they've been planning this since .hack//Epitaph of the Twilight. It's also interesting because in their own ways, Emma through writing, and Altimit through technology, they've all been pursuing the same vague, far-off goal for over a third of a century.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Geist started working for CC Corp in 2017, and per his proposal they developed R:X using Akashic Line as a base.
Didn't you say that Geist was an AI made by Amagi?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Yeah, so? Haseo worked for CC and never met them in person.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Kuukai wrote:Yeah, so? Haseo worked for CC and never met them in person.
Huh??? What are you talking about???
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I'm not sure how much more clearly I can explain this, but I'll try: CC Corp has hired people without seeing their faces. Why would Geist being an AI change anything?
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Kuukai wrote:I'm not sure how much more clearly I can explain this, but I'll try: CC Corp has hired people without seeing their faces. Why would Geist being an AI change anything?
Ahhh, they hired an AI.
|<!73

Post by |<!73 »

So should I view mama as the enviormental equivalent of Seele? Also does it say anymore about the Sophia System Security.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

It turns out that, unbeknownst to Geist, there is a decades-old secret society dedicated to using any means necessary to halt human activity on the Earth. Among their members were Emma Wielant and the founders of Altimit. Geist's "Immortal Dusk" was exactly what they've been waiting for, for over 30 years. These are the final villains of .hack.
LOLWUT
Their primary objective was to find and use some means to halt the activity of mankind on the planet. When Emma met Harald, the possibility of human digitalization first appeared. The book implies that this organization may have discretely guided everything from Harald's creation of The World to Aura's growth and Geist's plan. Genius thinks they're fools who will fail where others have before them, but I wouldn't take them so lightly. If they succeed, that's certainly a good reason for the series to end, and it provides the epic transhumanist ending AT really wants...
So basically what you're saying is that although they want humans to stop messing up the planet, they're not genocidal nutjobs, and they actually want humanity to live on the internet and were thus rolling with Tokio's stopping the genocidal rampage of Jyotaro's plans?

...woah, wait, fridge logic kicked in.

Does this mean Emma Weilant's death was deliberately orchestrated?

...could this mean her death was FAKED? Talk about epic final boss.
Gemcrim
.hack//legendick
.hack//legendick

Post by Gemcrim »

Okay so Emma was part of a super duper secret organization that I may as well call the Patriots OR accuse them of wearing black robes, possibly with an abundance of zippers or red clouds. Now I'm not saying secret organzations are by any means a RECENT phenomenon in fiction...

But really?

This is it?

Emma couldn't have just been an individual sick poet with possible prophetic visions who wrote based on her own thoughts and outlooks. No, we have to accept she's part of what may as well be some secret death cult that wants to protect nature or some such nonsense by sacrificing humanity to the Devil Gundam... I mean digitize people... YEAH.

Okay I'm going with what Genius believes and will say this is goddamn ridiculous. Yeah they probably are going to be the final villains in the upcoming anime. But really? These guys are the final bosses? These guys are why we had to put up with the **** that was Aura as the final boss complete with love tentacles? (links :B)

Okay... sure, everyone else is fine with rolling with this. I'm just going to sit in the corner and dream that things ended with Returner still.
Last edited by Gemcrim on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
plesi42

Post by plesi42 »

so, we get an anime (?) and a movie (this 2024 thing), am I right?

looks promising...
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Emma couldn't have just been an individual sick poet with possible prophetic visions who wrote based on her own thoughts and outlooks. No, we have to accept she's part of what may as well be some secret death cult that wants to protect nature or some such nonsense by sacrificing humanity to the Devil Gundam... I mean digitize people... YEAH.

Okay I'm going with what Genius believes and will say this is goddamn ridiculous. Yeah they probably are going to be the final villains in the upcoming anime. But really? These guys are the final bosses? These guys are why we had to put up with the **** that was Aura as the final boss complete with love tentacles?

Okay... sure, everyone else is fine with rolling with this. I'm just going to sit in the corner and dream that things ended with Returner still.
THANK YOU!!!! TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Finished everything story-related.

Cubia found a place for himself within Moon Tree, accepting an offer to join straight from Zelkova (makes sense, taking in lost AIs is nothing new to Zelkova). Sakaki strongly opposes this decision, saying they have no way of knowing Cubia won't one day backstab Zelkova, which causes everyone present (including Hiiragi) to sigh loudly.

Of course all the Twilight Knights are about to "return to their own times", but it's possible Cubia will stay with Moon Tree in the rewritten logs. I have no idea...

Helba discovers AIKA's Chim Doll, which has mysteriously repaired itself. This leads everyone to wonder if AIKA could do/has done the same. It would be cool to see her in the movie, walking together with Aura...

The very last thing in the game (well, without codes) is a mail from Yata clarifying that the other Real Digitalization in The World's logs was Lara. Interestingly enough, the sidestory where you play Fragment actually is part of .hack//Epitaph of the Twilight. Instead of entering the game, Lara had directly entered the Epitaph data within the game. During the mission there Tokio heard a voice guiding him (iirc he even mentioned he thought he had heard it before), and this was Lara (Gram and Yeats couldn't hear it, Tokio probably could because he resonated with it).
|<!73 wrote:So should I view mama as the enviormental equivalent of Seele? Also does it say anymore about the Sophia System Security.
More or less. And I need to look into that a little more...
AuraTwilight wrote:So basically what you're saying is that although they want humans to stop messing up the planet, they're not genocidal nutjobs, and they actually want humanity to live on the internet and were thus rolling with Tokio's stopping the genocidal rampage of Jyotaro's plans?
His plan was well-intended and might have worked, but they do seem to view it as a test run. They certainly didn't stop it, if they were even aware of it at the time. For what's it's worth I think they want to do the same thing, but a more advanced version of it. Specifically, part of the plan appears to involve collecting the remnants of the Akashic Records in order to develop mass-produced Auras (this was hidden away in Genius's part of the book).
AuraTwilight wrote:Does this mean Emma Weilant's death was deliberately orchestrated?

...could this mean her death was FAKED? Talk about epic final boss.
Could be. Aura vs. Mom would be pretty cool... AIKA and Sora could make the difference... Not the most original ending but it is just a 90 minute arc. They'll probably do better, though... There's a lot more room for symbolism...
Gemcrim wrote:Emma couldn't have just been an individual sick poet with possible prophetic visions who wrote based on her own thoughts and outlooks. No, we have to accept she's part of what may as well be some secret death cult that wants to protect nature or some such nonsense by sacrificing humanity to the Devil Gundam... I mean digitize people... YEAH.
She was an individual, she just shared certain ideas about the environment and humanity. And the interesting thing is they had no idea what they actually wanted until, like, 40 years later.
Gemcrim wrote:Okay I'm going with what Genius believes and will say this is goddamn ridiculous. Yeah they probably are going to be the final villains in the upcoming anime. But really? These guys are the final bosses? These guys are why we had to put up with the **** that was Aura as the final boss complete with love tentacles? (links :B)
Aura is what Aura could be without her experiences. It's a great final boss. If you have a problem with her character design take it up with Kikuya Megane...
Gemcrim wrote:Okay... sure, everyone else is fine with rolling with this. I'm just going to sit in the corner and dream that things ended with Returner still.
It is extremely likely they knew they were doing this when they made Returner...
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Eh, LINK itself isn't so bad. It's what comes after it that baffles me. XD

Well, knowing what the eff is going on doesn't hurt, at least...

Also, I really like the idea of Cubia joining Moon Tree with Zelkova. And why doesn't it surprise me that Sakaki objected and everyone else thought he was an idiot? XD
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:Eh, LINK itself isn't so bad. It's what comes after it that baffles me. XD
Yeah, I agree. But in its defense we haven't actually seen it yet, so maybe they find a way to pull this off...
GyppyGirl2021 wrote:Also, I really like the idea of Cubia joining Moon Tree with Zelkova. And why doesn't it surprise me that Sakaki objected and everyone else thought he was an idiot? XD
Good Sakaki tends to say amazingly ironic things that make people sweatdrop...
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Seriously, that statement was painfully ironic. XD
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, he is technically a political figure. MIRITE?
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Kuukai wrote:Finished everything story-related.
I'm curious about everything single word in Unison. X'over as well. But I guess I'll only ask these, if you can remember and don't mind telling.

1. What was being said between Kuhn and Sieg. Seemed hilarious. Like Sieg was insulting Kuhn and by extension himself (Or the type of person he becomes anyways), but I'm completely in the dark.

2. What was happening in the Endrance/Bo/Mia/Piros/Natsume conversation.