Am I the only one enjoying .hack//LINK?

GyppyGirl2021

Re: Am I the only one enjoying .hack//LINK?

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

The story is our main gripe now, otherwise the game seems enjoyable enough.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

I love the art (if not certain character designs, ahem, Tokio), the music, the gameplay, and the fanservice-y aspects.

But you guys know me. The story was what made .hack for me even in entries that otherwise sucked. This is a complete reversal.
Azure Gemini

Post by Azure Gemini »

Really enjoy it even though the dialouge is frustrating since its in Japanese.
Genshie

Post by Genshie »

@Azure: Really? You really found this difficult to understand? If you have been watching, playing, and reading most of the Dot Hack material it should be all self-explanatory for you. (Most of the material is out now in English, the newest being the novel of .DOT HACK:CELL, the only pieces that maybe hard to understand is Fragment: but the basic understanding of what Fragment is pretty much covers that, although the book/manga explaining fragment would be nice, and Dot Hack X'over) Even Link's own story seem pretty easy to understand even without any full knowledge of what they are saying.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

I'm sure they, and everyone understood the general plot of everything. But most fans dont just want the general plot. But a deeper understanding of the events and the motivation of the characters. The complete dialogue and the interactions of all the characters. They personality type and so on. Which can be strongly inferred based on design, tone and facial expression, but still. Its not just as simple as you are saying.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Genshie wrote:@Azure: Really? You really found this difficult to understand? If you have been watching, playing, and reading most of the Dot Hack material it should be all self-explanatory for you. (Most of the material is out now in English, the newest being the novel of .DOT HACK:CELL, the only pieces that maybe hard to understand is Fragment: but the basic understanding of what Fragment is pretty much covers that, although the book/manga explaining fragment would be nice, and Dot Hack X'over) Even Link's own story seem pretty easy to understand even without any full knowledge of what they are saying.
I think he means he doesn't speak or read Japanese, dude.
Genshie

Post by Genshie »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Genshie wrote:@Azure: Really? You really found this difficult to understand? If you have been watching, playing, and reading most of the Dot Hack material it should be all self-explanatory for you. (Most of the material is out now in English, the newest being the novel of .DOT HACK:CELL, the only pieces that maybe hard to understand is Fragment: but the basic understanding of what Fragment is pretty much covers that, although the book/manga explaining fragment would be nice, and Dot Hack X'over) Even Link's own story seem pretty easy to understand even without any full knowledge of what they are saying.
I think he means he doesn't speak or read Japanese, dude.
But you don't need to honestly.... If you have been keeping up with the series you really don't... Besides Link's story, in the game, doesn't really kick in till after the .Hack//Roots arc.

Edit: Now that I think about I understand this thread if you apply to things like the information you get when you gain someone on the Grand Whale and or about history on the cpu on the Grand Whale. I would also like to know what the emails say and what I am say to them in return.
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

The game would be more fun if I didn't have to hear 'Guranweirunimodoro!' so damn much... I swear every 5 seconds with that line... They seriously couldn't have put a single 'Guess I'll leave now' in place of even ONE of the "For now, I'll go back to the Grand Whale." lines...

I mean I thought Haseo's 'logging out and checking my email' obsession was irritating... but at least there was more than 3 minutes of gameplay between each of those scenes... (And I'm not exaggerating about the 3 minute average, most dungeons take me about that long....)

And I absolutely loath Toki*rundy's repetitive lines even more... The plot was... ehm... even more suspension of disbelief shattering than anything in the previous games...

but... if I ignore all of the plotline stuff and just play it for the characters... I love the game. To be short, I like the engine and think the rest is... slapped together haphazardly...

I think what I hate most is that Tokio tries to be cool and isn't... as opposed to not giving a crap about being cool, and directly because of that, being cool... like Kite...... or being realistically self-serving but still having more than one emotion, like Haseo...

I also don't like the fact that more characters have Xth forms... or the designs of those forms for that matter... what were they thinking when they made Silverknight...? Don Quixote?

Anyway, it probably sounds like I hate the game... but that's only half true... I love part of it.
Exotahu

Post by Exotahu »

I dunno, I'll be able to make a better judgement when it comes out here.

The story seems to have so much wasted potential and general weirdness. Such as non-canon being brought into the story.

I really don't like the lack of freedom to do whatever, Like, I couldn't just make up area words and go level. I had to stick to that part of the story, and could only level based on what I did there. Some 3D scenes would have been cool. And actually walking around places like Grand Whale and root towns. I know it's just a PSP game, compared to a console game, but damn.

I absolutely love the style of animation in the opening. THAT should have been how all the scenes in the game played out.

Ah hell, I dunno
Narase

Post by Narase »

I actually like it so far even though all I really understand at this point is the stuff that they are "reviewing" again.
((Although I have to say I kinda hate the plot twists they put into the GU part....but that's cuz I'm a Haseo fan.....))

I know it'll be so much better when the original LINK plot stuff is in English....I can probably only understand 30-40% at this point...and that's mostly guessing.

@Satoh: LOL I TOTALLY thought that the like....maybe the 3rd time he said it xD; thank god you can hit x and kinda skip through the speech but it's gonna be super annoying in English LOL