.hack//LINK to be the "final installment" of .hack

Tolby

Re: .hack//LINK to be the "final installment" of .hack

Post by Tolby »

Adept_Aiden wrote:No...Absolutely not...I can't believe that it's on the PSP.
Great console, great games, great potential. Now if they released it on Atari 2600, then I'd be pissed.
Adept_Aiden wrote: Even more there is not actual interaction with the other players. A half ***ed attempt is not something that these guys do and this is definately half-***ed! I mean look at Fragment! A wonderful example of the possibilities that The World holds and even though I am not able to play it because I live in America, I still marvel at it. But this is just too far, not only is it not a real online game
Was that ever even an option? [/rhetorical]
Adept_Aiden wrote:
but it's a single one, breaking the multi-disk trend that it set since the beginning. (Of course excluding Fragment) I guess they are really hard up to kill off the series. Maybe at least there will be a game that rises like a phenix from the ashes of what was one of the best games ever made...R.I.P. .hack
Thats a bad thing? You pay less and you can beat it all at once. Thats a damn good development if you ask me.
Adept_Aiden

Post by Adept_Aiden »

Tolby wrote:
Adept_Aiden wrote:No...Absolutely not...I can't believe that it's on the PSP.
Great console, great games, great potential. Now if they released it on Atari 2600, then I'd be pissed.
Adept_Aiden wrote: Even more there is not actual interaction with the other players. A half ***ed attempt is not something that these guys do and this is definately half-***ed! I mean look at Fragment! A wonderful example of the possibilities that The World holds and even though I am not able to play it because I live in America, I still marvel at it. But this is just too far, not only is it not a real online game
Was that ever even an option? [/rhetorical]
Adept_Aiden wrote:
but it's a single one, breaking the multi-disk trend that it set since the beginning. (Of course excluding Fragment) I guess they are really hard up to kill off the series. Maybe at least there will be a game that rises like a phenix from the ashes of what was one of the best games ever made...R.I.P. .hack
Thats a bad thing? You pay less and you can beat it all at once. Thats a damn good development if you ask me.
Still, that would be like Final Fantasy not having a big sword int it and calling the monetary value something other than Gil...Shouldn't change something that isn't broken.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

But it was broken. You were paying 3-4 times for something that by Xenogears standards would be just one game.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I don't get why Aiden is disappointed with the fact that it's one disc... I think that's one of the few things I like about //LINK.

What's the point of buying the same game 4 times just to experience a different part of the story?
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

The multi-disc aspect .Hack gave me something to look forward to.

I loved it lol
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

The multi-disc thing was something enjoyable and unique while at the same time...not really. I enjoyed having the "expectations" for the following disc of the game, knowing that more things would be found in there, more skills, more weapons, different areas, and other things unlocked as well, something that worked quite well in the multi-disc aspect, and would've felt different and more "simple and rushed" if it was all in the same disc, with merely 3 or 4 different "chapters". The creators just learned to adapt the series in different volumes, that could've not worked the same way in a single game, and it was great for making us have greater expectations in what would happen next, and for them in selling 3-4 times the amount of copies for a single game while also able to change some things in the next volumes, had they found problems in them or got a different reaction from the fans by the last volume, or whatever other reason they could have.

But...economically wise for us, it's of course alot better to just pay once for a game, given too how each volume is way shorter than any average RPG, and it also avoids us having to look for the next volume everywhere, or, in case you're late, having to look just for one single volume to finally be able to finish the game, something that can be very hard to find, and even harder to find at a "decent price".

I would be indifferent in this, but when it comes to being easier to get and buy, i'm happier than it's released in one single disc, and as long as they're able to adapt the gameplay and story aspects all on it, i'll be satisfied with it (i'd say "as long as they're able to keep the feeling of .Hack" too...but, given all we know about LINK so far, that's asking for something impossible, or as likely as a The World MMO -3-')
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

In defense of the multi-disc thing, I will admit that the period between GU releases was one of the most fun, exciting, speculation-filled times of my life. So many awesome theories were created I still wish came true, like Tri-Atoli, Ultimate AI Aina, Anti-existence AIDA, Aura being in Corbenik's Arm, The TSN being the Azure Knights, Azure Kite/Tri-Edge being Kite's original Bracelet...

Good times.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Maybe I'm just a cold and empty person, but I'm pretty sure I'd be happier with the hundred bucks. Or at the very least the games should have been cheaper than average (I guess they were here, but not in Japan). Besides, my head will explode if I have to deal with more than two more months of everyone already having an opinion on something that isn't done...

EDIT: If anyone happens to be in/going to Japan, Amazon is having a big discount on preorders for the Quarantine Pack, and you can pick it up at any Lawson Station. Minus massive exchange rate fluctuations, I doubt it will ever be cheaper new than it is now, considering that last I heard it was preorder only. It's actually cheaper than FFXIII's msrp.
Advent_Winter

Post by Advent_Winter »

Umm, guys. The multi-disk thing HASN'T been broken. According to the info Kuukai gave us, this game is so big, it could be possible that we'll see it on mutiple UMD's. You'll just have the sweet advantage of having them all for the price of one. I see no problem here.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

I believe someone somewhat recently said they confirmed it would be on a single UMD after all. Though don't hold me to it. Regardless, its not the fact that its multi disc, the novelty was the multi releases. The volumes/installments. Which only real plus side was the being able to pace yourself allowing for a single story to be told over a long period of time so it isn't over a day after you buy it. Which also overlaps with the speculation and excitement AT was talking about. I guess I will miss that downtime between volumes, but my wallet and my impatience will be happy.
Altre

Post by Altre »

Now that I've had months to mull over the latest game in the series, I wouldn't mind buying it (and a PSP...). Regardless of how lame or cliche/mainstream looking it may be, it's .Hack. Turning it down would be like turning down a mentally handicapped child. It's different, but needs love.
hidora

Post by hidora »

Altre wrote:Regardless of how lame or cliche/mainstream looking it may be, it's .Hack. Turning it down would be like turning down a mentally handicapped child. It's different, but needs love.
I never thought about it that way... '-'

But I don't have enough money to fix my ps2, let alone buy a PSP, so there's not much I can do.
ULFRIC

Post by ULFRIC »

I'm saving up for a PSP specifically for .hack//LINK

And saving up for the Special edition if it gets brought over as well.
Altre

Post by Altre »

hidora wrote:
Altre wrote:Regardless of how lame or cliche/mainstream looking it may be, it's .Hack. Turning it down would be like turning down a mentally handicapped child. It's different, but needs love.
A lot of people that I've talked to said it looked so. That's just them. Well, I kind of agree actually, but that won't stop me from getting it.
ULFRIC

Post by ULFRIC »

Altre wrote:
hidora wrote:
A lot of people that I've talked to said it looked so. That's just them. Well, I kind of agree actually, but that won't stop me from getting it.
Nothing could stop me from getting it.
Even if I had to buy the game before I bought the PSP.
On release day I would be in front of the store, pawing at the class.
Until they opened it and gave it to me.
eaglesiegle

Post by eaglesiegle »

I liked the multi release system! It gave me something to look forward too and it felt like a system update to a real mmo. Same basic thing but with some new features. Plus I LOVE SPECULATION ON ANY SERIES!!!
zerokoolpsx

Post by zerokoolpsx »

So I was checking when .hack link was coming out for amazon.jp, and there are already reviews for a game that isn't released. Are they reviewing the bonus dvd or demo or something, because this doesn't make any sense.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

That happens for every product ever sold on Amazon that anyone cares about. They need to stop allowing that...
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

Peeks in to toss in her two cents...

If this truly is the final installment of .hack//, I'm actually kinda glad. I mean...this may be irrelevant; but when I was a kid, I never wanted Pokemon to end. I wanted it to continue forever and ever and...ever. But now that I'm older, and the tv anime has diminished so much in quality over the years; I kinda wish that they really had ended it after the first movie's release, like how they were originally going to.. (before having to change the plot at the last minute, haha)

Ah but anyway- back to .hack//. I'll be really sad to see the franchise end, really I will ;A; But at the same time if it became like Final Fantasy...well...gosh so many mixed feelings..! Don't even get me started on the generic character designs for this one... (Seriously, what's up with the school uniform and Tai look-a-like?? I miss the Tribal-Fantasy-esque themed stuff..and even in his Xth form or whatever it's called, he still looks like something from the Ragnarok manga that I read. Probably not the same Ragnarok that comes to your minds, but..)

Oh. And I don't own a PSP (I don't own a PS3 either..yeah we're poor, haha) but I think the reason why they're releasing it on that is because the PS3 kinda...flopped in Japan. At least that's what my big sister said. Granted she has steered me wrong before :|

Bah. I'm sorry if a lot of this post doesn't make any sense. It's currently 5:29AM here and even though I'm not tired, my brain still kinda...not...doesn't....derp...well y'know~
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

The PS3 actually did way better in Japan than it did here. It's waay ahead of the 360. FFXIII is a PS3 exclusive there. Generally I like the in-game character designs, Tokio looks dorky but so do other offline characters like Tokuoka. He won our hearts so I don't see why Tokio can't. And I still think it looks kinda cool to have a "real" character jumping and rolling around a game where movement has always been more rigid.