.hack//LOST ONES Translation Project

Discuss the multitude of .hack Manga and Novels!

Moderator: Moderators

Which of the following manga or novels would you most like to see translated first?

.hack//Epitaph of Twilight
55%
.hack//ZERO (Only Vol 1. was ever released)
30%
.hack//Quantum: Twin Hearts
3%
.hack//Sora: Beyond The World
3%
.hack//Quantum+
No votes
.hack//Quantum I(introduction)
3%
.hack//GnU
6%

Total votes: 33

Kazetrigger

Post by Kazetrigger »

with Kazetrigger

Hey all, it's Kazetrigger again.

I hope you're all enjoying .hack//Bullet (or at least reading it. If not, you're missing good story elements). And don't worry, .hack//Link is still in progress. What I want to discuss today is my plan to translate some other .hack// novels and manga that have not made it into English.

I am calling this the .hack//LOST ONES project in reference to the .hack stories that have not been released outside of Japan. I'm sure many of you who don't read Japanese would love to know the stories, so that is why I am here.

I intend to translate some or all of these depending on user response.

The above poll is to gauge people's interest in this project and to determine which novel or manga I should start first. I would like to translate them all, but because I am busy, I have to concentrate on the most popular ones.

NOTE: This in no way guarantees that I will translate any or all of these. I am merely stating my intention to do so, but a lot of this hinges on both my availability and user response. Depending on how many votes and response and views there are to this thread, I will consider translating the item with the most votes first. What follows depends on the kind of response I get.

I love .hack and have been with it since it began in the early 2000s, and I want, like many of you, to know what happens, but I have a life outside of .hack that can't be neglected. I don't want to do this project if hardly anyone is going to read them or give feedback.

So, please research the choices and vote on your favorite. As much as you might want to choose them all, I only allow one choice, so pick your most preferred. Also, it would be appreciated if you respond to this thread with your thoughts and perhaps an explanation of your choice.

LINKS

http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Epitaph_o ... 28Novel%29

http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/ZERO

http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Quantum (Note: .hack//Quantum+ is a retelling of the OVA in manga form.)

http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Beyond_The_World%3A_SORA (.hack//SORA: Beyond The World is a retelling of the movie in manga form.)

.hack//Quantum: Twin Hearts is a retelling of the OVA in novel form.

.hack//Quantum I(introduction) is a prequel to the OVA.

.hack//GnU is a side-story.
Last edited by Kazetrigger on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindz

Re: .hack//LOST ONES Translation Project

Post by Lindz »

I'd vote for canon stuff first & foremost! As much as I'd love ZERO & EoT, I say take it easy for starters an go with Quantum I! At 160~ pages its easily the shortest of the bunch. Plus being a manga makes it infinetely less wordy than the novels. Its truly the path of least resistance!
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

I got the gist of Introduction from the images, can't really do that with a novel unless you knew japanese xD Though I should have thought in regards to amount of work needing translated, a manga would be far quicker than a novel ^^' ^_^ I was really keen to read Epitaph of Twilight since there wasn't too much about it and Zero was incomplete.

Can't say I saw too much difference in the Quantum manga, not sure on how the novel differs and the Beyond the World manga appears to be a shortened version of the movie from the looks of it with a connection at the end to Versus @.@
N3IWVC

Post by N3IWVC »

This is a 2 volume novel about Harald Hoerwick's niece. Since it has not been adapted into any other medium that makes this a strong candidate for me.
Another novel, only the first volume was completed. Also, it has not been adapted into another medium. So, although Sora is one of my favorite characters, the fact that the series is incomplete loses some of its strength as a candidate. (being unfinished is such a turn off :( Zero would definitely be number one for me if not for this)
Kazetrigger wrote: http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Quantum (Note: .hack//Quantum+ is a retelling of the OVA in manga form.)
Relatively new to the series tells me this is still possibly going to be officially translated. Being in manga form far less translation would actually be necessary so it would be faster and easier to do than a novel assuming not too much cleaning is necessary. However, it is an adaptation of the OVA so the plot isn't really new other than some kind of twist they may or may not have put on it. Not a strong candidate for me.
Kazetrigger wrote: http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Beyond_The_World%3A_SORA (.hack//SORA: Beyond The World is a retelling of the movie in manga form.)
Similar to Quantum+ this is relatively new so still possibly going to receive official love. Manga, so faster to translate. Again cleaning can be difficult. Adaptation of the movie, so nothing particularly new here. Not a strong candidate for me.
Kazetrigger wrote: .hack//Quantum: Twin Hearts is a retelling of the OVA in novel form.
The only difference between this and Quantum+ as far as this translation project goes is the medium. Personally, I'd rather see the manga I think but either would be fine.
Kazetrigger wrote: .hack//Quantum I(introduction) is a prequel to the OVA.
A prequel so we get something new to the plot but with strong ties to the OVA. But again it's a relatively new release and could get something official. Manga form so hopefully easier to do than a novel. This candidate is not as strong as Epitaph but probably would rather have this than Zero just because Zero is incomplete.
Kazetrigger wrote: .hack//GnU is a side-story.
So this last one takes place during R:2 and is a pretty short manga. It doesn't really tie in to anything else but isn't adapted from another medium so it's fresh. But here is the main problem I have with this one: I've already read it in English. It's not officially translated but out of everything on this list this is the only one I've seen already done. This makes it the weakest candidate for me.

Final ranking:
1: Epitaph
2: Quantum 1
3: Zero
4: Quantum+
5: SORA: Beyond...
6: Twin Hearts
7: GnU

As a final note: Many great thanks to you for doing Bullet and even considering continuing with even more here. If you do any of these (even GnU) I would be most appreciative. :D
Kazetrigger

Post by Kazetrigger »

Kazetrigger wrote: .hack//GnU is a side-story.
So this last one takes place during R:2 and is a pretty short manga. It doesn't really tie in to anything else but isn't adapted from another medium so it's fresh. But here is the main problem I have with this one: I've already read it in English. It's not officially translated but out of everything on this list this is the only one I've seen already done. This makes it the weakest candidate for me.

Final ranking:
2: Quantum 1
3: Zero
4: Quantum+
5: SORA: Beyond...
6: Twin Hearts
7: GnU

As a final note: Many great thanks to you for doing Bullet and even considering continuing with even more here. If you do any of these (even GnU) I would be most appreciative. :D[/quote]

Just as a note, only the first chapter of GnU was translated by a fan group. There are still several chapters of material to the story not yet in English. Unless someone completed the whole thing and I don't know about it.
N3IWVC

Post by N3IWVC »

Ah, I wasn't aware there was more than the one chapter.
N3IWVC wrote:Fixed ranking:
2: GnU
3: Quantum 1
4: Zero
5: Quantum+
6: SORA: Beyond...
7: Twin Hearts
quite a difference that makes there :o
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

N3IWVC wrote:.hack//Zero: Another novel, only the first volume was completed. Also, it has not been adapted into another medium. So, although Sora is one of my favorite characters, the fact that the series
@.@ The novel series may not have been completed and I'm unclear as to where it ends, maybe they thought it didn't need any more? They did make a chapter in .hack//LINK (PSP) about .hack//Zero if I recall correctly ^_^
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

GnU's an option now? That's pretty short to iirc an since Raid made it into Link I'd be all for seeing that to! Could knock that and Quantum I out before tackling lengthier stuffs. But I'd still take Quantum I first since its the most recent canon thing of the bunch and more Sakuya love can never hurt!

btw Are the short stories in the LotT CE's eligible (RENA, Mirielle's Dental Course, Magi's New Clothing, Present, Graduation) ? Those seem mostly cute & fun.

SSJScygoku wrote:I got the gist of Introduction from the images, can't really do that with a novel unless you knew japanese xD Though I should have thought in regards to amount of work needing translated, a manga would be far quicker than a novel ^^' ^_^ I was really keen to read Epitaph of Twilight since there wasn't too much about it and Zero was incomplete.
Ohhh believe me I do want those! Even ZERO ta see how compares with Link's version if/when that gets translated. But this year especially I'm all about being cheap/cheating/cheesing stuff lol so I can't help but advocate someone burning through shorter stuff!
Kazetrigger

Post by Kazetrigger »

Lindz wrote:btw Are the short stories in the LotT CE's eligible (RENA, Mirielle's Dental Course, Magi's New Clothing, Present, Graduation) ? Those seem mostly cute & fun.
I might consider those. Where they are so short, I may just do them sometime anyway.
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

Epitaph and Quantum Prequel have always been on my top list of things to see translated. It's a shame that after Tokyopop went kind of under (though apparently they still sell reprints on demand through a website) that no other company picked up or tried to save the license for .hack in the US. (at least I'm not aware that anyone picked it up...if someone has then they're doing an awful job with it!)
ZERO looks interesting but it being incomplete is such a bummer and I know I'd be even more bummed if I read it and then...it just ends.
The retellings seem interesting, but they're just retellings so that's just like 'alright cool' tier of me. GnU is just a mystery for me so I have no real opinion on it!
vansliger

Post by vansliger »

.hack//Epitaph of Twilight is something that my wife and I have been looking forward to reading for awhile. We've been learning Japanese in hopes to read it one day but our Japanese knowledge is still not good enough to figure out most of it.
Morhighan

Post by Morhighan »

I have owned //Zero and //EoT for years and I've always wanted to know what happens. Strong need. Let me know if you need an editor or any other writing help. When I'm not doing my normal job (as a writer) I get a crazy craving to keep working.
Alinier

Post by Alinier »

Heya, Kaze!

I actually happened to coincidentally start work on //黄昏の碑文 literally a few days ago. I plan to do this myself regardless of whether this wins the poll or not as it's good practice for me, but if you'd ever like to compare notes, let me know!

-Alinier
Aura Twilight

Post by Aura Twilight »

//ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! //ZERO! :D :D :D
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

I have always been fascinated to hear what bits of lore were to be found in //The Epitaph of Twilight and since Lara is Harald's niece we might actually get a little more characterization on Harald himself! So my vote goes to //Epitaph of Twilight.
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

Kazetrigger wrote:I might consider those. Where they are so short, I may just do them sometime anyway.
Woohoo! And ya I think the Magi one is only like 9/10 pages? lol. Could pop these super small ones out between the larger projects but never wear yourself out or spread yourself to thin!
Bullet Biter wrote:It's a shame that after Tokyopop went kind of under (though apparently they still sell reprints on demand through a website) that no other company picked up or tried to save the license for .hack in the US. (at least I'm not aware that anyone picked it up...if someone has then they're doing an awful job with it!)
If they're still able ta do reprints that'd indicate to me that they still have the license. When said license expires everythings up for grabs assuming the .hack//conglomerate wishes to still work out a new one with them or some other distributor. Ideally TPop could sublicense to someone else to put out newer works, but who knows if they're contractually allowed to or not. First the west loses the games, then manga/novels! Its really a shame all around!
Kazetrigger

Post by Kazetrigger »

Alinier wrote:Heya, Kaze!

I actually happened to coincidentally start work on //黄昏の碑文 literally a few days ago. I plan to do this myself regardless of whether this wins the poll or not as it's good practice for me, but if you'd ever like to compare notes, let me know!

-Alinier

I'd be interested in collaborating with you. I sent you a message, so if you see this, please check your PMs.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

.Hack//Zero.

Do it.

Its already irritating that it never made it to America(and its even more annoying that its on a game that didn't make it to America either) but the fact that it wasn't really finished is just down right ****.
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

I see GnU is making nice progress! Over a sixth of it done already! It may be to early or not even the right place ta ask, but whats gonna be the planned release method for these? Oh oh an is there any possibility of audio drama translations (Live, Roots Sound Forms, LotT stuff, First Login, etc. as subbed videos, I guess?)?
Kazetrigger

Post by Kazetrigger »

Lindz wrote:I see GnU is making nice progress! Over a sixth of it done already! It may be to early or not even the right place ta ask, but whats gonna be the planned release method for these? Oh oh an is there any possibility of audio drama translations (Live, Roots Sound Forms, LotT stuff, First Login, etc. as subbed videos, I guess?)?
I currently do not have a planned release date for .hack//GnU. I would like to wait until I'm completely finished so I can release it all at once. It'll probably be a few months. Stay posted.

Unfortunately I have no intention of doing the audio dramas for a couple of reasons: 1. I do not have all of them, only a couple of them, and 2. several of the audio dramas have already been translated into English. If you search for them on YouTube or on Google, you ought to find one or two of them. I may change my mind on this, but given my schedule, I don't advise holding your breath.

For example, First Login and Let's Meet Offline can be found on YouTube.

The Sound Forms are neat, but I don't have them and cannot really afford to import them right now. Maybe some day. I have the LotT Character Song and Story, but I'm not making it a priority.

.hack//Live is cool and I have it, but it's long so I don't want to invest time in it right now. I think I'll do them someday, but the main .hack//Link storyline and .hack//Bullet are my priorities.